• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Telltale Games Restructuring, Letting go of 90 Staff Members

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Telltale Games, best known for its episodic series of videogames focused on single-player experiences, has announced a restructuring within its organization. The move, which aims to "make the company more competitive as a developer and publisher of groundbreaking story-driven gaming experiences with an emphasis on high quality in the years ahead," will see the laying off of 90 staff members (around 25% of its workforce,) effective immediately. Luckily for us gamers, it appears that the restructuring won't affect any previously announced projects, which include a second season for breakout game The Wolf Among Us.

"Our industry has shifted in tremendous ways over the past few years. The realities of the environment we face moving forward demand we evolve, as well, reorienting our organization with a focus on delivering fewer, better games with a smaller team," said Telltale Games CEO Pete Hawley. "I'd like to express our respect for all the contributions that these incredibly talented artists, storytellers and more have made to this company, and that this decision is in no way a reflection on the quality or dedication of their work, " he added. "We have made available our full career assistance services to help our affected colleagues and friends - and their families - navigate this difficult transition as quickly as possible."

This news comes in wake of recent cross-fired comments from video game developers and publishers regarding the impending economical unfeasibility for story-driven, single player games. It would seem that those comments are ringing particularly true for Telltale. the company has taken under its umbrella a number of franchises for development, including Minecraft: Story Mode, Game of Thrones, Tales From the Borderlands, The Walking Dead Series, among others. The company has already grown to around 400 employees before this layoff was announced, which might signal too fast an expansion in the current market outlook for single player games (as perceived by developers and publishers.)

Besides being known for its generally excellent single player, story-driven games, Telltale has drawn criticism for a perceived "roughness" of its graphics engine, however. The development of their in-house engine may have had something to do with these layoffs; in fact, poring Telltale's comments on the matter, it was announced that the company intends to move internal development over to "more proven technologies that will fast-track innovation in its core products as it works with new partners to bring its games to new audiences." This sounds like an increased adoption of off-the-shelf, industry-proven graphics engine options rather than development of their own internal engine, which has been marred with issues in the past. Perhaps developing both the games and the tools that power them has turned out to be unfeasible in the long term? We shall wait and see.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Sad, but they spread themselves thin. I consider myself a big fan, but even I only have half of their games.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Its unfortunate that developers are laying people off, but then again looking at the state of video games it seems no one has a real "new" idea for one. We have had a plethora of mediocre games from many sources, and the mediocrity is caused by too many fingers in the pie most of the time, people pushing for unneeded graphics, elaborate but boring story line, pay to play micro-transactions, or invasive DRM. I hope they focus on the player experience instead of polishing the proverbial turd ideas.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
While I do love some of their games, I've often wondered if they can keep it up in the long run.

The company has already grown to around 400 employees before this layoff was announced, which might signal too fast an expansion in the current market outlook for single player games (as perceived by developers and publishers.)
This is exactly what I expected. Far too many companies have fallen into this trap by expanding too quickly, and many have even gone under. No company should hire staff based on expected growth in revenue, and it's always much easier to expand when it's actually needed.

Processor Intel i9 11900K
Motherboard Z590 MSI ACE
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Ballistix Elite 4000 32GB 18-19-19-39
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090 XC3 ULTRA HYBRID
Storage 2x Seagate Barracuda 120 SSD 1 TB, XPG SX8200 PRO 1 TB
Display(s) Acer Predator Z321QU
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Power Supply Asus ROG Strix 1000W
I liked their take on that genre of point and click adventure games. Walking Dead series, Tales from the Borderlands and the like. The only time i was truly shocked by a game was Wolf Among Us. The Little Mermaid...Really? :D

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I look forward to them getting back to the roots of their great storytelling, and a sequel to The Wolf Among Us sounds like a fantastic start!! The first was easily, IMHO, their best work.