• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Which Future Starts with NVIDIA's Titan "Star Wars" Collector's Edition ?

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
NVIDIA has recently introduced a pair of special edition graphics cards of its fastest consumer GPU available at the moment: the GeForce GTX Titan Xp. The new cards, as you all know, have a Star Wars theme, ahead of the franchise's Episode VIII: The Last Jedi premiere in December. It would appear that these new designs - the Jedi Order and Galactic Empire editions - are simply re-skins of the already existing Titan Xp product, with added Red or Green LED colors according to your particular lean when it comes to The Force.

While these graphics cards certainly look the part - I'd say that the Galactic Empire edition is the better looking of the two, but that's neither here nor there - they likely signal the beginning of a trend. A trend where special edition graphics cards may move in to fill the void left by the absence of new products, while also allowing companies to re-purpose hitherto unsold inventory of a given graphics card.

To our forum-dwellers: this piece is marked as an Editorial.
The new special editions of the Titan Xp graphics card will be selling for the same price as the original Titan Xp, announced way back in April of this year. While welcome, this is something NVIDIA didn't really have much maneuvering space with: the Titan Xp is already a premium product at $1200, and both products being identical specs-wise, there would be little user tolerance and good will for a increased pricing - a gouge, if you will. The $1200 already guarantee NVIDIA a hefty profit (it's an estimated 4x the bill of materials for the product), but I believe NVIDIA has just found a way of reigniting interest in fading graphics cards, while being able to re-purpose unsold inventory as well.

The Titan Xp is old news by now - and most users who would have bought these likely have already. So NVIDIA is now catering to more than just the graphics enthusiast with these editions: they're also catering to fans of a particular franchise, and collectors. All people with intersecting areas of interest that practically demand high expenditures. They do this - and increase their profits - by re-purposing already produced Titan Xp inventory, tacking on some new, gaudy coolers with some LED lighting and some design tweaks, and voila: increased product interest, another round of free marketing through news coverage, increased brand recognition, and decreased unsold inventory. Yes, Disney will want some amount of money in licensing fees for the Star Wars branding, but that can easily be recouped in the BOM cost for the Titan Xp graphics cards, with the added bonus that every Star Wars Collector's Edition GPU that NVIDIA sells, is one less unit they'd eventually have to write-off as unsold inventory.

This is pure genius on NVIDIA's part - it's up to customers to decide whether or not they value NVIDIA's take on a Collector's Edition graphics card to a) buy these when there will likely be a better-performing GPU from NVIDIA in 6 months time, and b) when a GTX 1080 Ti offers virtually the same performance at a much lower price. Unless the extra 4 GB of GDDR5 memory and professional features NVIDIA recently introduced also matter to you, as both a Star Wars fan and graphics professional; and if that's the case, then by all means, go ahead.

The new shroud designs also borrow heavily from previous-generation NVTTM (NVIDIA Time to Market) cooling solutions, doing away with some of the recent changes for the 1000 series. NVIDIA likely wouldn't do this only to achieve better looks: user push-back from decreased cooling performance on these Collector's Editions would sap goodwill towards the product. So... it seems like a slight acknowledgement from NVIDIA that their current cooling solutions for the 1000 series have little more to offer than revised aesthetics. And at the same time, where's my extra engineering on a premium, Collector's Edition product? So all I get is a previously-released heatsink design with some added LEDs and a coat of "battle-worn finish"?

It's not like there aren't any other occurrences of mostly aesthetic changes in a given product giving way to differentiated options, though. Even though car analogies are a dime a dozen in the computer hardware industry, it's interesting to note that this kind of monetization scheme has already been done in the auto industry for longer than this editor has been alive. Manufacturers always offer many different customization options for what is essentially the same car, which can result in a wide variety of different looks for the same price, or even, sometimes, thousands of dollars worth of extras (different-sized and colored rims, sport trims, different interior materials) that don't really change the performance of the base mode - while some others do.

The most important part here, though, is that this might signal the beginning of a new trend in graphics card releases. To be fair, NVIDIA wasn't the first manufacturer to do this in recent times: remember AMD's 7970 GHz Edition graphics cards? These were special edition graphics cards launched with revised specs compared to the original 7970, which actually brought increased performance to the table. These actually brought some tangible benefits to the customer graphics space - increased performance. AMD's RX Vega graphics cards did it differently though - while the Limited Edition is essentially the same Vega graphics card as the base model, with some differentiated materials and more exotic looks, their Liquid Cooled editions actually offer increased thermal efficiency, which results in both performance and acoustic improvements, at the cost of a higher price premium.

Indeed, AMD did it out of necessity, so as to push back against NVIDIA's GTX 680 GPUs and regain the performance crown. No, NVIDIA doesn't need to move a muscle in that regard. However, this is where a company's dominant position actually stifles innovation. AMD's 7970 GHz and Liquid Cooled editions fought on the performance side to be heard - Vega Limited Edition, not so much.

It seems a new market outlook is forming on these companies' visions, one where the same graphics card can be launched in different editions with varying designs (either focused on looks, performance, or both) and price levels. ASUS has also just announced a special, Assassin's Creed Origins-themed GeForce GTX 1070 Ti, which has a different finish and comes with a copy of the game - and the corresponding price premium.

NVIDIA, though? They really just need to re-purpose and re-paint their products as new. Their Collector's Edition is effectively just smoke and mirrors, and we've been watching this kind of "innovation" for years now. Is this really where we want new product launches to go? I'd start a debate by pointing towards our frontpage poll: currently, sentiment seems to be mostly negative towards this approach, with 55% respondents having answered a pretty clear "No, please" to the question "Titan Xp Star Wars is a big step for themed hardware. Is that something you'd like to see more of?" Concern regarding pricing remaining the same and not incurring in premiums comes at a distant second place, with 19% total votes. How things will go from here will almost certainly only depend on NVIDIA and AMD's own (and partners') visions regarding this space, but one thing is clear: the doorway for that future is being installed as we speak. Whether or not it comes to completion is something that only time will tell.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Fe Cards with lights, lol why not just make them rgb since light sabers are full color spectrum depending on what stone is used lol

Shouldn't this editorial have a space background and yellow/gold text scrolling up ?

The old days they just put stickers on the reference design and call it a day. Users can do that and theme them to their hearts desire.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Sell separate covers to anyone's likings!!! :p:p

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
It's certainly a clever way of refreshing the ageing but still potent Titan Xp before they enjoy another year of unrivalled market domination with Volta.

System Name Front Room PC
Processor Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4.05Ghz
Motherboard MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4
Memory G Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3133Mhz (14, 15, 16, 28)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070
Storage Samsung 960 Evo M.2 250GB, Crucial MX300 700GB plus couple of regular HDD's for storage.
Display(s) BenQ GW2765HT (main) or LG OLED55B6V (when missus is out)
Case FD R5 Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-650
Mouse Logitech MX 518
Keyboard Corsair K40
Software Windows 10 Pro
What a load of Bollocks.

Processor 9700K
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge
Memory 32GB Micron VLP 18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1
Video Card(s) 3090 FE
Display(s) Samsung G9 NEO
Case Formd T1
Power Supply Corsair SF750
I kinda like the beat up aluminum one, but I already have a Titan X, so won't be buying a new card for a couple years.

System Name Wolf Command
Processor 6700K
Motherboard EVGA Z170 FTW
Cooling EK Custom GPU block + Corsair H60
Memory 16Gb DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengence
Video Card(s) Sapphire Fury X Custome WC
Storage 1x Samsung M.2 128Gb, 1x Intel 256Gb M.2 1x Seagate 500Gb Hybrid
Display(s) Dell 2417H
Case S340
Audio Device(s) OB
Power Supply EVGA 750W
Software Windows 10
All my cards have the coolers stripped off and waterblocks fitted. So collectors edition cards make little sense to me.

System Name PC.
Processor i7 2600K 5.0Gh,i7 3770K 5.00Gh. EK, Liqed Coooleng
Motherboard P67A-UD7-B3 Gigabyte T.,ASUS,P8Z77-V PREMIUM,MAXIMUS V EXTRIME..
Cooling Liqed Cooleng ,EK Suprime LTX Nickel,EK for Motherboard,Aqua computer (WGA), Thermaltake .... 0i,
Memory G.SKILL F3-17600CL7-2GBPISG. 16GBSkill Sniper F3-17000CL94GBSR on 2400Hz 10-12-11-29 1
Video Card(s) GTX590 ,SLI ,POV TGT best 691Hz ,LiqedCoold,GTX480.....GTX1080MSI SeaHawkEK SLI
Storage OCZ-REVODRIVE 3-240GB,2xCrucialMX100.512.R-0,1x LMT-32L3m,3x 1TB-WD,1x;1x2TbSEAGATE1x2Tb Seagate
Display(s) DELL-U2412Mb,Samsung Synkmaster245B,HP ENVY 34c
Case Thermaltake, NZXT SWITCH 810SE
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE BLASTER X-Fi Titanium HD , AUNE T1MK2 TUBE USB
Power Supply ENERMAX Platimax 1500W,Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse VIPER V560,FUNC MS-3, Prestigio, R.A.T.E.7 and 5,LogitechG502,RAZER,Inperator.,dead...a.s.o.
Keyboard Trust ....LogotechG410
Software Windows7 64....
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Fire Strike 21.385 (37.234,11.828,7.176)
They look like you need a driving license for TITAN Xp, and for Star Wars ed.TITAN Xp , you need a license to carry weapons . Is not it a design error?:laugh::roll:

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
They are already gouging a million percent. So keeping the same price is moot. A plain titan XP, in my opinion, is a collector's item--a better one than one tainted (again, in my opinion) by a Star Wars logo.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
After this I kinda want a water cooler Bioshock edition card, with rust included.

System Name Raptor
Processor Core i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling ArcticFreezer 420
Memory Corsair VENGEANCE® 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MHz C36
Video Card(s) Palit GameRock 3080Ti OC
Storage M.2 Addlink S70 Lite , Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB, SanDisk Ultra II 480GB, 1TB seagate
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG27AQL1A
Case LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) Realtek® ALC4080 Codec + Philips SHP9500
Power Supply Seasonic GX-1000
Mouse G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard ASUS CERBERUS
Software Windows 10
Dark future .

System Name project silver poison
Processor Intel Xeon x5650
Motherboard Asus x58 sabertooth
Cooling Enermax Liqfusion 240mm
Memory 24gb ripjaws ddr3
Video Card(s) Sapphire R9 fury Nitro
Storage 256gb sata ssd & 1tb seagate white label
Display(s) Asus VP248QG
Case Lian li lancool one
Audio Device(s) Logitech z207 & audio techica m40x
Power Supply Enermax platimax df 1200w
Mouse Corsair Harpoon rgb
Keyboard Coolermaster Masterkeys pro l rgb
They are already gouging a million percent. So keeping the same price is moot. A plain titan XP, in my opinion, is a collector's item--a better one than one tainted (again, in my opinion) by a Star Wars logo.
I agree

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
nvidia logic, the collector edition card must be its star product, GTX 1080ti in this moment, not a marginally older card, also their halfstar product GTX 1070ti could be better and moar efficient product to tag in collector edition craps...
also the option of individual coolers, better than a big ass overpriced video card,

Regards,

System Name Desktop / "Console"
Processor Ryzen 5950X / Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus X570 Hero / Asus X570-i
Cooling EK AIO Elite 280 / Cryorig C1
Memory 32GB Gskill Trident DDR4-3600 CL16 / 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE / RTX 2080ti FE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus NVME / 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 NVME, 1TB Intel 660P
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW / LG 65CX Oled
Case Lian Li O11 Mini / Sliger CL530 Conswole
Audio Device(s) Sony AVR, SVS speakers & subs / Marantz AVR, SVS speakers & subs
Power Supply ROG Loki 1000 / Silverstone SX800
VR HMD Quest 3
Is it a trend, or is it that the timing of the movie launch does not coincide with the timing of a new card release? If Titan Volta was on market at the moment, I would assume that it would have been the limited edition Star Wars card. As to the fact that it is an older card with the Ti offering comparable gaming performance-- The titan is their halo product, so if they are going to make a true collector's edition of anything, it seems the flagship makes sense. My opinion on it is, if it costs no more than a stock model, and doesn't delay the release of up coming products, then I say go for it -- as it doesn't affect me or my buying process one way or the other. I don't really feel entitled to a collector's edition version of a card that happens to be in my price range, or aligns with my personal gpu upgrade time line. Personally, I would never buy one of these, as I would never buy any Titan at any point in the product cycle... but I don't have an issue with this particular release. Ultimately, the market will decide if it is a good idea or not.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
... their halfstar product GTX 1070ti could be better and moar efficient product to tag in collector edition craps ...

I would've targeted GTX 1060 cards with the theming, perhaps even with a small discount, and hope to move a ton for xmas season. I just can't envision themed Titan cards selling in any great numbers. People with that kind of money to splash out are probably a bit more savvy.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
nice move yes, GTX 1060 could also be a better option