• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Second-generation Ryzen "Pinnacle Ridge" Confirmed to Support AM4

@RejZoR Good old praising Vega and RyZen while using Intel and just bought a 1080Ti. Very convincing, bro. :D

Just because I have NVIDIA that doens't mean it's not shit. Which can be evident from endless bitching about it. Don't have any arguments over 5820K though. It's a good CPU. AMD didn't have anything to offer at the time. Ryzen however is a good choice today. And since this was a long term investment, if 5 years down the path AMD will have something decent in the offerings, I'll probably take that. I don't see a reason why someone with Intel is not allowed to compliment AMD if they have good products.

I always see people make a big deal about needing new motherboard for upgrading CPU. I wonder how many people actually do this. I have built every computer I ever owned over the past ~20 years now. I have upgraded ram,GPU,HDD/SSD but in all that time never needed to upgrade a CPU while not also wanting stuff that my current motherboard did not have. Like newer version of ram, or new PCI-e version, or something else that simply a new CPU would not provide.

My experience is the features of my motherboard become outdated faster then my need for a new CPU therefore it just never seem important to me that AMD or Intel kept backward compatibility on there motherboards.

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650
Great way to gain back market share and regain trust. But, Pinnacle better be a tangible improvement or this whole strategy won't work.

Shouldnt be too hard. Bulldozer to Piledriver was a ~15% performance gain and that was with just some tweaks of the same Orochi die on the same process.

Now add in some 5-10% higher clocks from the "12nm shrink" and you got a pretty nice CPU.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Not enough pins in the socket? Unless they do an Intel and make a new chipset with more PCIe lanes, which will hopefully use a PCIe 3.0 bridge next time around. Then again, we don't know if they have extra capacity or not to add something like four more PCIe lanes to the socket, but it doesn't seem too likely.

Well, it's already limiting for me, as I've got an NVMe M.2 drive and can't add another one to my system unless I want to put in a PCIe 2.0 slot. So yes, it is a big deal for some of us.

THREADRIPPAH! I'm sure you can statistically round the number of people with/wanting more than one nvme down to zero. It's not like more lanes is going to be any priority when they actually did make an HEDT platform.

Just because I have NVIDIA that doens't mean it's not shit. Which can be evident from endless bitching about it. Don't have any arguments over 5820K though. It's a good CPU. AMD didn't have anything to offer at the time. Ryzen however is a good choice today. And since this was a long term investment, if 5 years down the path AMD will have something decent in the offerings, I'll probably take that. I don't see a reason why someone with Intel is not allowed to compliment AMD if they have good products.

It destroys their intel is superior illusion?

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.
I thought AMD themselves had said they are going to stick with AM4 until release of DDR5.

They could do phenom II style, where two memory controllers exist for the first revision and I loved it!
I have a Phenom II on an Geforce 2 TI on AGP system, beat that backwards comp-ability!

on the other side I hope they bring out the 4 lost pci-e lanes they've been hiding which requires new socket pinout.
Am1-AM2-AM3 is practically the same just modified it slightly to prevent users from inserting into wrong socket (added or removed a pin)

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I always see people make a big deal about needing new motherboard for upgrading CPU. I wonder how many people actually do this. I have built every computer I ever owned over the past ~20 years now. I have upgraded ram,GPU,HDD/SSD but in all that time never needed to upgrade a CPU while not also wanting stuff that my current motherboard did not have. Like newer version of ram, or new PCI-e version, or something else that simply a new CPU would not provide.

My experience is the features of my motherboard become outdated faster then my need for a new CPU therefore it just never seem important to me that AMD or Intel kept backward compatibility on there motherboards.

See the 4,1 Mac Pro, which shipped with 45nm quad core Xeons. You could flash that model to 5,1 and then upgrade to 32nm 6 core Xeons (which also supported 1333 DDR3). It was quite an investment, but one could move from 2 x 4C/8T to 2 x 6C/12T without shelling out for the 5,1. An odd example, but back in its day, it was a significant upgrade.

Back when I was right out of college and had limited funds, I used to only upgrade one part at a time. I recall dropping my Dothan 800mhz into a new motherboard that supported the Athlon XP and DDR. When the Athlon XPs got cheaper, I bought one and saw a noticeable performance gain. Granted, today, there isn't as much incentive to upgrade one part at a time other than the GPU, since typically the higher end CPUs mostly offer more cores to gain performance, but those gains are only realized in specific scenarios. In the single (and even dual) core days, the difference was very noticeable across the board.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Well, for those looking to ride out a mobo for several years, I hope nothing new comes out you need or want.

Look at amd the last couple of years... m.2 32 gbps? Usb3.1 10 gbps? Pcie 3.0? Ddr4?

Some pretty big things there for a lot of people.

It just depends on the specific user and if they can or want to live without those (any new) features... or pay to add them via addin cards... which then starts biting into any 'savings' from having to buy another mobo.

Personally, id rather buy a new mobo with all the features than stuff my PC with AICs...to each their own. :)

Apart from NVMe & DDR4 what new feature have you seen in the last 2+ years that compels you to upgrade your mobo? Having a choice to keep the same mobo, also memory at times, & upgrade to a better CPU down the road is something that many of us expect from Intel, just like AMD's done in the past.

Also AMD has a superior design now with the SoC style Ryzen, Intel on the other hand is still vastly limited by DMI on their desktop chipsets.

Last edited:
just 6-8 older PCI-Express gen 2.0 general purpose lanes (while Intel chipsets put out up to 24 gen 3.0 lanes).

You might want to refresh your knowledge about that.

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
"address 300-series chipset's main shortcoming, just 6-8 older PCI-Express gen 2.0 general purpose lanes (while Intel chipsets put out up to 24 gen 3.0 lanes)."

Is this as bad as it looks at the moment? How much bandwidth do those Intel boards have connecting to the CPU? Much less than 24 3.0 lanes I suspect?

On the flip side, the AM4 platform has 24 lanes from the CPU which in many cases is better via the chipset. You can at least have one M.2 directly attached to the CPU.

I think the wording should be clarified a bit so folks don't forget about the extra CPU lanes.

Adding a beefier chipset wouldn't be a bad thing though. :)

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Oh really? Wasn't AMD selling FM and AM platforms simultaneously? :-D
To be honest I never followed up on the FM series. It seemed to me like a really cheap, low power solution for your Grandma or your HTPC or something. Looking it up they don't seem exactly cheap either... I wonder what purpose this socket is supposed to serve? Maybe I was remembering something else I saw.

In any case, my comment wasn't about selling multiple platforms at the same time, it was about the longevity and backwards compatibility of at least the AM2 socket on up.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P

Offer still stands man, trading my AmD GPU for your shitty 1080Ti. Let me know! :p

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Shouldnt be too hard. Bulldozer to Piledriver was a ~15% performance gain and that was with just some tweaks of the same Orochi die on the same process.

Now add in some 5-10% higher clocks from the "12nm shrink" and you got a pretty nice CPU.

Back then Intel was also adding 10% IPC per gen and Bulldozer was notoriously shitty. So yes, in that day and age, 15% gain is very well doable. Today? Doubtful.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5Ghz 1.32vlts
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock 4
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200Mhz (16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080 Founders Edition
Storage 512GB Gigabyte Aorus NVMe (Boot) 1TB Crucial NVMe (Games)
Display(s) LG UK850 27in 4K Freesync/G-Sync/HDR 600
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Windowed (Dark Tint)
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS70 Special Edition Wireless Headphones & 7.1 Sound
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850w Gold
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite Mechanical RGB (Cherry Red)
Software Windows 10 Home
Ryzen at 4.5Ghz with a 5-10% IPC gain would make them a very compelling alternative to a Coffee Lake build.

...Assuming they don't get greedy and start to jack up the prices.

Intel sells HEDT and Mainstream at the same time. Isnt that APU and 'Mainstream'?
Different segmentation.

Intel's mainstream socket really covers mainstream needs: from basic multimedia to gaming / advanced use. And they've all had iGPU for years.
Before AM4 this was not true for AMD. One socket was for APUs, the other one was for more powerful CPUs (without iGPU). So you couldn't easily move between these segments.
And it's not really something I came up with. Both AMD and reviewers made a huge fuss about unification of these 2 lines in one platform.

Apart from NVMe & DDR4 what new feature have you seen in the last 2+ years that compels you to upgrade your mobo? Having a choice to keep the same mobo, also memory at times, & upgrade to a better CPU down the road is something that many of us expect from Intel, just like AMD's done in the past.

I guess it a matter of what you want. I never found a reason to spend money on a new CPU after 2 years. Usually it 4-5 years before am ready for a new cpu and by that time I usually want a newer chipset then my current motherboard.

Apart from NVMe & DDR4 what new feature have you seen in the last 2+ years that compels you to upgrade your mobo?
NVMe and DDR4 are not enough?
I'd add: USB 3.1 (Gen 2) including Thunderbolt and USB-C.
Generally speaking, "new features" is not the only factor. It's also about typical evolution: interfaces, minor compatibility issues - small things that add up.
Also more and more motherboards have WiFi/BT (finally!).

Also, Stoney Ridge based on Bulldozer tech is anything but slow. They increased the clock dramatically as well as lower consumption and improved IPC, making these excel at single threaded performance (given they are 28nm chips). Power consumption is also down to 15W at highest clocks. It's just a real shame they can't chop these down to 14nm and make them like 7W parts. That would make them interested despite older architecture. I'd still prefer Ryzen based low end parts, but we can't have it all, can we...

To be honest I never followed up on the FM series. It seemed to me like a really cheap, low power solution for your Grandma or your HTPC or something.
What's wrong with "Grandma or HTPC"? :)
I've just given my old PC to my grandfather.

Looking it up they don't seem exactly cheap either... I wonder what purpose this socket is supposed to serve? Maybe I was remembering something else I saw.
Purpose was pretty simple. It was made with APUs in mind. AM CPUs didn't have iGPU.
In other words: FM was for those 90% of buyers who are actually responsible for the financial result. But it was a flop... and here we are few years later: most people on the planet don't know (or don't remember) what AMD is.

In any case, my comment wasn't about selling multiple platforms at the same time, it was about the longevity and backwards compatibility of at least the AM2 socket on up.
AM2 longevity was rubbish. It was released in 2006 and in 2007 we already got AM2+, which wasn't fully compatible (many mobos didn't get a BIOS update).
AM3 came 3 years later - in 2009.

By comparison, Intel's mainstream socket of the period (775) lasted from 2004 to 2009.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
What's wrong with "Grandma or HTPC"? :)
I've just given my old PC to my grandfather.

nothing

Purpose was pretty simple. It was made with APUs in mind. AM CPUs didn't have iGPU.
In other words: FM was for those 90% of buyers who are actually responsible for the financial result. But it was a flop... and here we are few years later: most people on the planet don't know (or don't remember) what AMD is.

And most people think i7 means 7 cores. Most people just aren't too well informed or don't care very much about PC hardware.

AM2 longevity was rubbish. It was released in 2006 and in 2007 we already got AM2+, which wasn't fully compatible (many mobos didn't get a BIOS update).

By comparison, Intel's mainstream socket of the period (775) lasted from 2004 to 2009.

Maybe AM2 wasn't around too long... but it was at least forwards compatible. I don't think it was AMD's fault that those mobo manufacturers were reluctant to release a BIOS update for the new processors.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo

775 is not really much better of an example. Yes, the socket stayed the same, but the netburst Pentiums and Celerons didn't play nicely with the Core series. Most boards would either take one or the other, unless a BIOS update added support (and I don't believe that was very common). 775 was introduced with the awful Prescott series, and I suspect Intel kept the socket/cooler setup in an effort to keep their OEM partners committed while they rolled out something better. That was the last time AMD really caught Intel with its pants down. Intel had to scramble, dumping Netburst and scaling their mobile CPU (Yonah) architecture up to desktop class. By the time Intel had an answer for AMD with the IMC, they were transitioning to 1366.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

It opens up options across pricing. Also a CPU drop in means no having to reinstall drivers etc.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Sadly this doesn't look like it's something that can or will be addressed until we have a new socket now, so anyone with an AM4 system is going to be slightly limited to what they can stick in their system. Ok, 10Gbps Ethernet can still go via the chipset, but might be a bottlenecked slightly, but other things will be far too limited to go through there.

This is completely untrue. Intel's link to the PCH is 3.94GB/s, it essentially uses a PCI-E 3.0 x4 link to the PCH. AM4's link is the same thing, with the same bandwidth. Intel's PCH not only does 24 extra PCI-E 3.0 lanes, but it also handles all the SATA ports.

There is no reason AMD can't add more PCI-E lanes as well as a bigger SATA controller to their chipset without any need to change the socket.

Intel sells HEDT and Mainstream at the same time. Isnt that APU and 'Mainstream'?

Hell, AMD had 3 sockets at the same exact time. AM1, AM3+ and FM2+.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080

Good points. The people bitching are mostly AMD users (they're usually budget-limited, or they'd buy Intel). Amd users feel the need for a new CPU the minute they build a system, because they don't buy top parts, and are hoping for a pencil mod to magically make their CPU twice as fast for free! The frequent motherboard change is one of the strengths of Intel, not a weakness at all. Intel users want top performance, not a bargain deal. Using a board for multiple generations is just another compromise, sacrificing performance or connectivity just to save a few bucks. I always sold my old Intel parts as a working system, and that covered half to 2/3 the cost of the new rig, and now all my friends have better gaming rigs for a lower price, and free lifetime support (parts extra!).