• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Launches Optix Mag Series Gaming Monitors

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
MSI, world's leading manufacturer of true gaming hardware is proudly expanding the hardware possibilities for gamers. Dedicated to providing gamers the most immersive gaming experience, MSI has prepared a strong line-up of new, curved gaming monitors. Introducing the MSI Optix MAG series, loaded with three models in two different screen sizes, the MSI Optix MAG24C, MSI Optix MAG27C and its flagship model, the MSI Optix MAG27CQ together mark MSI's definitive entry into the gaming monitor market. The Optix MAG27CQ is equipped with the latest gaming features to ensure great immersion when playing games. With a curved VA panel with a 1800R curve, a 1440p WQHD resolution, a 144Hz refresh rate and 1ms response time, this gaming monitor is built for speed and stunning visuals.

Together with a wide viewing angle of 178 degrees, less blue light and anti-flicker this gaming monitor is tailored for a perfect gaming day or night. The monitors can be swiveled, adjusted in height and tilted. Moreover, if you need a little help when playing games, the monitors even have a built-in FPS sight toggle on screen, so gamers can perfectly hit all of their targets.

Curved Gaming Display
MSI's gaming monitors use a curved panel with a curvature rate of 1800R, which is the most comfortable and suitable for a wide range of applications from general computing to gaming. Curved panels also help with gameplay immersion, making you feel more connected to what's happening on screen. Moreover, playing games on multiple curved gaming monitors gives a great panoramic experience.

The Smoothest Gaming Experience
The MSI Optix MAG series are equipped with a 144hz refresh rate + 1ms response time VA LED panel which has the most benefit in fast moving game genres such as first person shooters, fighters, racing sims, real-time strategy, and sports. These type of games require very fast and precise movements, so with an ultra-high refresh rate and fast response time monitor, you will be ahead of your competition.

Built for Long Gaming Sessions
Gamers always want to play long sessions. Does 'just one more turn' or finishing that epic raid sound familiar? With MSI's anti-flicker and less blue light reduction technology, gaming becomes a feast for the eyes, even during long periods. With anti-flicker technology, we reduce the flicker-rate (unnoticeable to the bare eye) that prevents eye fatigue. With blue light reduction, we reduce the total amount of blue light displayed by the monitor and ensure longer gaming periods without eyestrain.

Tailored for Perfect Fit
The MSI Optix MAG series is built to enhance your gaming sessions to be as comfortable as possible. With possibilities to tilt, swivel, and change height, it's easy to change the position of the gaming monitor for maximum ergonomics and an optimal viewing experience. And with the built in FPS front sight toggle you can always draw a sight to secure your aim during battles.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

"Dedicated to providing gamers the most immersive gaming experience"?

How about give us what we want then:
144Hz
HDR
G-Sync or FreeSync

No? I guess you're just not that dedicated after all.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v

144Hz
HDR
G-Sync or FreeSync

And exactly how many graphics cards can drive a screen with all those features?

Not trying to defend MSI's screens here, but even so...

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10

144Hz
HDR
G-Sync or FreeSync

You mean, "give YOU" what you want.

40" 4k HDR 60hz ips would be fine here, as long as it can also do 1080 @ 144hz and its HDCP 2.2

That MAG27CQ looks like the business! :cool:

And exactly how many graphics cards can drive a screen with all those features?

Not trying to defend MSI's screens here, but even so...
Depending on the game; a 1080ti or a 1080ti in SLI. And before you come back with "Not even a 1080ti in SLI can run a Battlefront 2 at 144 frames in 4K", it's not about running every game at the monitors highest refresh rate. There are many games that will hit over 100fps with either card setup and with Gsync or FreeSync most games will feel smoother. I've been gaming at 4K for over two years now and on my previous 980ti Classifieds in SLI and my current 1080 FTW SLI I max most games run 4K max settings capped out at 60fps.

40" 4k HDR 60hz ips would be fine here, as long as it can also do 1080 @ 144hz and its HDCP 2.2
Depends on the distance you sit from the display. If you're talking a monitor that sits two feet from your face I'd disagree as the pixel density wouldn't look as detailed as a 26" or 32" at the same distance. I also think that 60Hz screens have had their day. I've been using a 4K 60Hz monitor now for over two years and I'm definitely ready for the market to progress and start pushing 4K with higher refresh rates. The high end cards are there to push the pixels we just need the displays to keep up with them.

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
"Moreover, if you need a little help when playing games, the monitors even have a built-in FPS sight toggle on screen, so gamers can perfectly hit all of their targets."

I'm sorry but that's just encouraging lazineness, even if the reticule can be toggled -- like, "I don't have to practice and get good on my own, my monitor does it for me." I say this as a general gamer (meaning I play on both PC and console, longer on consoles): don't expect to ever get good at an FPS if you always have your monitor do the work for you. :rolleyes:

System Name latest-greatest
Processor i7 12700K
Motherboard Z690 Rog Strix-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360
Memory corsair vengeance Ddr5 4800
Video Card(s) 2080ti
Storage 980 pro gen4
Display(s) LG C1 4K 120Mhz
Case fractal meshify2
Audio Device(s) Realtec 4080
Power Supply Corsair rm1000x
I don't quite understand why there are not more 4K monitors on the market. It seems the monitors are stuck in neutral and not pushing the technology forward.

I've had a 42"4K monitor for 2 years now running 60Hz, first on a 780Ti (reduced eye candy) and recently on a 1080Ti (ultra eye candy). Frame rates on the 1080Ti are typically 90+ and higher for Battlefield 1 and on the 780 I was getting 50-60 FPS consistently, but obviously not on ultra settings.

I have had 144Hz monitors in the past running 1440p, but they were 27 and 32" monitors.

My personal preference is the 42" 4K even though it doesn't run at 144Hz.