• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Titan V Achieves 82 MH/s in Ethereum Mining

The top notch cards have never been a good value in terms of performance per dollar, not sure why people are even talking about this as if they didn't already know that.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Terrible analogy, just terrible. This is a work scenario. You are going to get more use out of those corrolas no matter how you slice it. People don't buy Ferraris new* expecting to make their money back.

*excluding special editions obviously
People don't buy Titans expecting to make their money back either. Hell, Titans were first released when there was no virtual currency to be mined and they still sold.
The top notch cards have never been a good value in terms of performance per dollar, not sure why people are even talking about this as if they didn't already know that.
It's Nvidia's fault. They didn't leave anything else for haters to pick on. I mean, releasing the fastest card ever, with a TDP AMD can't dream of matching... come on.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Unlikely. With a 6pin and an 8pin connector, it can draw max 300W. It could, somehow, spike to 400W, but it certainly wouldn't be able to sustain that.

The connectors have nothing to do with what it will do, and everything to do with what it SHOULD do. I imagine the outcry from the green camp will be, "look at how awesome this is" when if AMD tried this or this came up in testing they would be ridiculed for their outrageous power consumption, high heat, and inefficency considering it only bests the competition by 30%.

Lol... "Impressive result" still with the lowest ROI. It'll take you over 1 year to get your money back, assuming you can get one at MSRP, and you don't count an investment into additional cooling for this already power-hungry beast.
With current mining profits most gear has a ROI around 1 year. The times when mining paid for the GPU in 2-3 months are long gone (well.. few months have passed...)

GamersNexus did a Titan V OC test and the card consumed 405w, a boost of 150w over stock, so overclocking isn't an good option for miners. That's not counting the noise levels or that the stock cooler would not be able to maintain those clocks without throttling past 30 minutes. You could buy 5 Vega cards for the price of one Titan V.
1) I don't know which test you're referring to. This one?
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3171-nvidia-titan-v-power-consumption-thermals-and-clock-behavior
A system with overclocked Titan V in Firestrike pulled 442W, including a 5930K which might have been sucking around 100W. So there is nothing special about power consumption. It's pretty similar to Titan Xp, which is not surprising, when you consider a target audience. I.e. it makes replacing the GPU much easier in a professional environment.
2) Miners usually don't OC to the max (like GN did). They optimize the profit, which means looking for a sweet spot clocks-voltage combination. And as you might have noticed already: this means the "sweet spot" depends on your electricity price.
3) I find it amusing that you put noise level concerns and buying 5 Vegas instead of 1 Titan in adjacent sentences. :D
Yes, Titan is clearly not the best option for mining if you have a farm. But what if you have a workstation and you want it to mine after hours? I.e. you can only have 1 GPU or maybe a few.
Moreover, think about other savings when you have many GPUs. Less cards => less other parts (most importantly: power supplies and fans).
At this price Volta is too expensive (I can't say I'm sad about it :)). But if the price was to drop by 20-30% next year, it would become worth considering.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
The amount of mental gymnastics to support the idea of this card is astounding, it barely beats 1080Ti except when its overclocked to beyond what its cooler is capable of handling, its costs 3K, its stock forms is 10W more at idle than a Vega 64 stock (60W Vega to 70W Titan V), everything about it is overpriced (3K VS $700 Vega), power hungry (Vega bad, Titan good despite being a few watts different), and crappy by the same metrics (90C core temps are unacceptable) used to throw Vega and Fury under the bus, but somehow, someway, almost like people lock the green weiner in their mouth, they are loving it......

"Bug; Also, the 300W this burns through in games is nearly twice the 160W of a GTX 1080. I mean, TDP may not be all that important, but come on..." About Vega 64.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-8-gb.235978/page-2#post-3709638

Do we have any problems with the Titan V burning through that much power, or is it not a gaming card.......

I actually considered buying this card for mining/gaming, but the unstable drivers have made me decide not to.

Oh and this is not double my Vega 64 noobs (See attached). Where are the dual mining benchmarks?!

Attachments

• 25400625_10214641585574709_1144642887_o.jpg
    25400625_10214641585574709_1144642887_o.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 298
News, a card 5 times more expensive than the Vega 64 duplicates the performance of this (in the cryptocurrency mining). consuming a little less.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
The amount of mental gymnastics to support the idea of this card is astounding, it barely beats 1080Ti except when its overclocked to beyond what its cooler is capable of handling, its costs 3K, its stock forms is 10W more at idle than a Vega 64 stock (60W Vega to 70W Titan V), everything about it is overpriced (3K VS $700 Vega), power hungry (Vega bad, Titan good despite being a few watts different), and crappy by the same metrics (90C core temps are unacceptable) used to throw Vega and Fury under the bus, but somehow, someway, almost like people lock the green weiner in their mouth, they are loving it......

"Bug; Also, the 300W this burns through in games is nearly twice the 160W of a GTX 1080. I mean, TDP may not be all that important, but come on..." About Vega 64.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-8-gb.235978/page-2#post-3709638

Do we have any problems with the Titan V burning through that much power, or is it not a gaming card.......
When you buy a Corolla, you worry about gas mileage. When you buy a Ferrari, you don't. Surely you can understand that much.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
People don't buy Titans expecting to make their money back either. Hell, Titans were first released when there was no virtual currency to be mined and they still sold.

It's Nvidia's fault. They didn't leave anything else for haters to pick on. I mean, releasing the fastest card ever, with a TDP AMD can't dream of matching... come on.

No worries we can always whine about price.

Reactions: bug
System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro

The thing is people are talking about mining here and how this card fits in today not back then. That's a different conversation a bit off topic. I know there are at least two other threads where you can go sing about how awesome a Titan V, which you will probably never buy is.

The funny thing is the Titan V should be an excellent card. But from my point of view it simply has 3 MASSIVE drawbacks no one is talking about:

1) It should always be at least 50% stronger than the 1080 Ti, but in reality its performance is all over the place. When you buy a halo product, it should act like a halo product consistently.
2) Adding on to point #1, it's driver support is horrible. Sure it CAN get 82 MH/s, but from what I have read the thing crashes in all of the most popular miners. Same in gaming - tons of reports of stuttering. The "New architecture" excuse doesn't work here, this thing costs $3000!
3) It's cooler is horrible. I have no issues with blower coolers, but for $3000 you would think they could at least go all out: Aluminum housing, a dense all-copper heatsink, and the nicest blower fan on the market should be a no-brainer. After all my Vega 64 can adequately cool all the way up to ~375w before heat is a real issue, and sure it's loud - but I have read that this Titan cooler has trouble cooling 300w!

So should this card cost $1500? -Yes. Should this card have 16 or 24GB of VRAM? -Of course! But the real folly of the Titan V is that it doesn't feel like a premium product. The price does not matter on halo products, but its presentation absolutely does. It should have perfect drivers, the best blower cooler ever made, and consist of the highest-quality components. But it doesn't.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
a very small amount more than 7 x 1070s.. not enough to justify the extra cost..

my 8 x 1070 rig cost me about ÂŁ4000 to build three months back.. a waste of money really because if i had simply spent the same money on buying bitcoin.. about 1.25 bitcoin at the time.. i would now be sitting on $20000 dollars worth of bitcoin..

as i say unless you are doing it for fun mining isnt the way to do it.. not when crypto prices are going up so quickly.. i did have to learn this the hard way.. :)

i am still mining but only because i already bought the hardware.. but to make money i have simply started buying litecoin or eth..

trog

not true.. not unless the entire crypo scene collapses but then it wont be worth mining anyway.. :)

trog
You could look at it another way, buying the rigs gives a cheap way to buy crypto, and your 20k would have got snagged in the nicehash hack bro i would call it a lucky escape.
Bang on CaptainTom btw couldn't agree more.
Halo should have that something special not just the same shit painted gold.

You could look at it another way, buying the rigs gives a cheap way to buy crypto, and your 20k would have got snagged in the nicehash hack bro i would call it a lucky escape.

I think there are some big mis-conceptions about how profitable mining is. I have mined since college, and I can assure everyone here that it can be INCREDIBLY profitable.

The problem is that people seem to think mining is a "Get rich quick" scheme, but really the only way to get a ton of money in crypto through short-term investments is to buy like $10K worth of cryptocurrencies, and then hope you get lucky. But if you don't, you could lose a lot of money.

On the other-hand mining is really only for the most informed computer geeks who are willing to put forth A LOT of effort for long-term investments. I myself have multiple large rigs that require weekly tweaking for optimum yields, and I mine only coins that I believe will be worth a lot of money in the future.

It is a part-time job for people who actually believe in the industry, and it is not for those who want to spend 2 hours setting up a rig and expect 1-month ROI's lol. It is a much safer entry method than simply buying coins because if something goes wrong you can sell off your components and recoup some of your investment.

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
Absolutely CT. My investment is just the cost of electricity as the rest of the rig I would be buying anyway for gaming.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..

if i had not bought the rig i would not have been mining with nicehash and i would still have my 20K from the 4K i should have spent on bitcoin and not the rig.... he he..

mind you it was buying the rig that got me interested in crypto so it does have that going for it.. but that is about all..

i have got over grieving about my nicehash loss but i am sticking to my point.. if you have some cash to spare spent it on coin and not mining gear..

another example.. over the last few weeks i have spent about ÂŁ3500 on buying coin.. litecoin and eth this is ÂŁ500 less than i spent on my rig..

now for my smiley bit.. that ÂŁ3500 has turned into ÂŁ9000 which to be honest is the main reason i have gotten over my nicehash loss.. he he

i still have my mining gear and its busy mining away making around $200 dollars per week minus the leccy bill.. :)

in six months that will be about $5000 dollars less the leccy bill.. not bad but i recon the eth and litecoin i have just bought will be worth at least $25000 by then..hopefully a lot more.. :)

i am not really being kind to the mining rigs.. cos what they are mining will be going up in price as well.. the only snag being it takes too f-cking long to mine anything worth having so in that way its very expensive way to buy crypto..

i recon i have this sh-t figured out.. but if anyone wants to tell me what i am doing wrong i will be more than happy to hear it..

trog

ps.. i didnt think mining was a get rich scheme.. i bought my gear just for fun and never thought i would make much.. in fact it i knew it would take nearly a year to even pay for itself..

however since buying my hardware i have discovered a way to make money as well.. and for sure it aint f-cking mining crypto its buying the f-cking stuff.. he he

if anybody cant see exactly where i am coming from its for one simple reason.. they dont f-cking want to.. :)

there is one other reason.. they dont have any spare cash to buy some coin.. which is about the only valid reason for not buying some..

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Just remember to be out on the downs and in on the ups but your doing well(better than me:)) , i simply don't have investable funds im having to pull it out if anything but my hardware debt just got paid ,so did my elecy bill and I have about 0.1btc worth ready to jump on the bigest dip i see:);).

In a way im ok with the great many mistakes i made, they're out the way I hope ,i certainly learned a lot these few months.

System Name money pit..
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
just for the record litecoin has gone up 400% in the last month.. bitcoin only about 150%..

its just my thinking but now bitcoin is at $18000 or so it scares people off.. its still gonna keep going but not as fast as something like litecoin..

bitcoin is the big daddy that has everyones attention.. but its baby brother litecoin is gonna make you more money.. which is why i bought some as opposed to spending the same money on BItcoin.. so far my thinking has paid off.. i recon it will continue to do so..

borrow some dosh if you have to and for f-cks sake dont sell your crypto.. not unless its to buy another sort of crytpo.. litecoin would be my choise.. he he

trog

Absolutely CT. My investment is just the cost of electricity as the rest of the rig I would be buying anyway for gaming.

Of course. At this point mining is the main determining factor in any gpu I get for my desktop (To the point that I considered getting the Titan V if I could find verified reports of 100 + 5000 MH/s). I instantly bought a Vega 64 at launch, and while it is only around as strong as a stock 1080 Ti after tweaking (while using 300w lol); it paid for itself in a month!!! I am bewildered by people who call themselves "enthusiasts" and don't mine.

just for the record litecoin has gone up 400% in the last month.. bitcoin only about 150%..

its just my thinking but now bitcoin is at $18000 or so it scares people off.. its still gonna keep going but not as fast as something like litecoin..

bitcoin is the big daddy that has everyones attention.. but its baby brother litecoin is gonna make you more money..

Haha buddy I mined Litecoin for half a year in college (years ago) before switching to Darkcoin (the whitepaper blew my mind). Eventually I decided to just sell all of my Litecoin. Half went to Bitcoin, half was cashed out. Consider the gains Bitcoin has made in the past 3 years vs Litecoin. Litecoin doesn't seem so spectacular anymore does it?

I do not regret cashing out my Litecoin one bit! But at the same time I think "Bitcoin Cash" is incredibly stupid, and so I hope all Bitcoin forks fail and migrate their wealth to Litecoin (it is better than ANY BTC fork).

Processor R9 3900X
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB

McAfee thinks BTC is going to $1M (pinky at corner of mouth) by 2020.

It will be interesting to see if that happens and what ETH and LTC do.

McAfee thinks BTC is going to $1M (pinky at corner of mouth) by 2020.

It will be interesting to see if that happens and what ETH and LTC do.
No, it won't. Even if BTC itself becomes totally detached from reality, USD is still a normal currency that people earn and spend.

Processor R9 3900X
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
I don't get the 2nd part of your comment @notb? What has USD, as a fiat currency to do with the price of BTC? Just trying to work out how you are relating this to the $1M prediction?

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
i have watched bitcoin going up.. at 4000 i thought all the big gains were over and i was entering the game too late.. three month later its at 18000..

while watching bitcoin i also watched a few other coins.. i noticed that litecoin for example just sat there flat lining doing nothing just going sideways..

it occurred to me that after all the bitcoin fuss had settled down a bit maybe litecoin has some catching up to do.. i was exactly right..

the same with eth just to a lesser degree..

i am hoping that litecoin will do over the next few months what bitcoin has done over the last few months... if i am right i am set to make some dosh..

its all about percentages up or down.. litecoin up %400 over the last month bitcoin up %150

or a grands worth of liteoin up to four grand or a grands worth of bitcoin up to one and a half grand.. once joe soap catches on litecoin will really start to go up..

but i could be wrong.. he he

trog

Yeah, the only problem with showing the overclocked result is that it doesn't show the power consumption spike. GamersNexus did a Titan V OC test and the card consumed 405w, a boost of 150w over stock, so overclocking isn't an good option for miners. That's not counting the noise levels or that the stock cooler would not be able to maintain those clocks without throttling past 30 minutes. You could buy 5 Vega cards for the price of one Titan V.

The trick is to find to sweetspot for the GPU's power consumption vs hash ratio. I.e the RX480 does fine at 1150 ~ 1200Mhz with slightly lower voltage and maxed out memory OC. The total power consumption is at 90 to 120W depending on configuration. It makes no sense to exceed the power usage and have a negative ROI based on hashrate.

The card is worth 3k. So with 69Mh your looking at 131$ profit a month with 0,22 cents for every kilowatt of electricity being used. This would take a while to get the investment back, if the difficulty does not change over the course of the lifetime of the card. 89Mh is proberly with a huge increase of power consumption, since the card is stock downclocked at 1200Mhz if i'm not mistaken.

I'd still take 6 RX480's and call it a day on 25Mh per card.