• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Released "Coffee Lake" Knowing it Was Vulnerable to Spectre and Meltdown

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Speculation "If this didn't reach the public would the public know after they resolved it"?
Intel regularly updates their errata, just look at this long list for skylake.
A lot of small bugs are normal for CPUs, if they fixed it "silently", nobody would have noticed it in the list.

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
Why do I have a feeling that things are blowing out of proportions again...
actually it's refreshing ....

usually it's ...
"oh it's Intel, no biggies, we can forgive them"
"what? AMD has a bug in their CPU? BURN DOWN THE WITCHE!"

actually considering financial disparities between these two ... i consider Intel blunder to be unforgivable :laugh:

System Name Big Chief
Processor Intel i7-980x@4.2Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte UD3R v2
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P
Memory 24GB Kingston DDR3 1600Mhz CL10
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX970
Storage 3xSamsung Evo840 500GB RAID-0
Display(s) 3xDell 2407WFP
Power Supply Corsair TX650
Thank god I still have an atom n450 netbook :D

Anyway...
There would be no point in halting the release of coffee lake, especially when ES/QS cpus are being provided, and all partners already have working prototypes of new platform.

Er excuse me? Then announce the flaw then try selling it, or don't sell it at all. What planet do you come from?

Er excuse me? Then announce the flaw then try selling it, or don't sell it at all. What planet do you come from?
Would definitely love to know how many would raise their hands knowing Intel chips had a meltdown bug, with a fix probably six months away? Pretty sure the loss in sales would be in the tens of billions, with a capital B, as it stands right now they might get away with just a slap on the wrist - like the last so many times! In fact their server sales would also be devastated, I'd say Google saved them anywhere between 10 to 30 billion in lost sales over the last 6 months.

It's called capitalism. Welcome to planet Earth.
Would definitely love to know how many would raise their hands knowing Intel chips had a meltdown vulnerability
Fixed that for you. The difference is that the CPU's in question operate perfectly, so not a bug. But the fact that software can be made to take advantage of a CPU's normal functionality in a malicious way is a vulnerability. And it's likely the same number of people who would buy anything else that has/had a known problem, like iPhones with their battery problems and Windows for example.

Last edited:

Fixed that for you. The difference is that the CPU's in question operate perfectly, so not a bug. But the fact that software can be made to take advantage of a CPU's normal functionality in a malicious way is a vulnerability. And it's likely the same number of people who would buy anything else that has/had a known problem, like iPhones with their battery problems and Windows for example.
Both spectre & meltdown are vulnerabilities, except AMD doesn't need a meltdown fix because it doesn't allow a rogue data cache load in the way Intel does. Hence the bug(gy) part wrt Intel.

This isn't true for meltdown as can be seen with AMD chips right now.

Both Spectre & Meltdown are vulnerabilities
True.
except AMD doesn't need a meltdown fix because it doesn't allow a rogue data cache load in the way Intel does.
Actually, that is an incorrect conclusion.
Hence the bug(gy) part wrt Intel.
Meltdown is a vulnerability. A vulnerability is not "bug", nor a flaw, nor a defect of design. You are mixing up and confusing proper terminology.
This isn't true for meltdown as can be seen with AMD chips right now.
My information and understanding comes from the people who discovered the problems, have been researching and documenting it.
https://meltdownattack.com/
That website is one they created to publish the information for everyone to read. According to them and the documentation they have provided, your conclusions are incorrect.

Last edited:
Actually, that is an incorrect conclusion.
How so?
Meltdown is a vulnerability. A vulnerability is not "bug", nor a flaw, nor a defect of design. You are mixing up and confusing proper terminology.
Am I? Intel chips allow user apps to read data from the kernel memory but AMD does not, so how is that not a bug or defective design?
My information and understanding comes from the people who discovered the problems, have been researching and documenting it.
https://meltdownattack.com/
That website is one they created to publish the information for everyone to read. According to them and the documentation they have provided, your conclusions are incorrect.
I've read everything from Ars, AMD, project zero, the register & no where does it say that meltdown was a feature of OoO chips. The unintended feature you're talking is speculative branching i.e. spectre.
On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 3:09 PM, Andi Kleen <andi@firstfloor.org> wrote:
> This is a fix for Variant 2 in
> https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2018/01/reading-privileged-memory-with-side.html
>
> Any speculative indirect calls in the kernel can be tricked
> to execute any kernel code, which may allow side channel
> attacks that can leak arbitrary kernel data.

Why is this all done without any configuration options?

A *competent* CPU engineer would fix this by making sure speculation
doesn't happen across protection domains. Maybe even a L1 I$ that is
keyed by CPL.

I think somebody inside of Intel needs to really take a long hard look
at their CPU's, and actually admit that they have issues instead of
writing PR blurbs that say that everything works as designed.

.. and that really means that all these mitigation patches should be
written with "not all CPU's are crap" in mind

Or is Intel basically saying "we are committed to selling you shit
forever and ever, and never fixing anything"?

Because if that's the case, maybe we should start looking towards the
ARM64 people more.

Please talk to management. Because I really see exactly two possibibilities:

- Intel never intends to fix anything

OR

- these workarounds should have a way to disable them.

Which of the two is it?

Linus

Last edited:
System Name Purple Stuff
Processor Intel Core I7-8700K @ 5.0 Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory Corsair Vengence 16 GB DDR4 @ 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung EVO 960 500 GB, HDD 4TB WD Black, SSD Crucial MX400 1TB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU 27" x2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass
Power Supply Seasonic Focus + Platinum 850 W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 700
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
Software Win 10 Pro
And again things are getting blown out of proportion .... give it a rest .... not even the involved parties aren't making such a big fuss out of this

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Ouch what, don't be silly. What the whole industry should stop working because of a bug? Do you commit suicide when you cough once?

Intel launched serveral products that had this architecture flaw and they knew about it. That is criminal period. This will impact their wallets across the board.

By the way welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited:

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Ouch what, don't be silly. What the whole industry should stop working because of a bug? Do you commit suicide when you cough once?
Not the best analogy there. You can get your point across without using such an analogy. Sometimes it is okay to agree to disagree and then move on. Do so in this case.

System Name O-Clock
Processor Intel Core i9-9900K @ 52x/49x 8c8t
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Gene
Cooling Corsair H170i Elite Cappelix w/ NF-A14 iPPC IP67 fans
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill TridentZ @3900 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Black
Storage Samsung 983 ZET 960GB, 2x WD SN850X 4TB
Display(s) Asus VG259QM
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) beyerdynamic DT 990 600Ω, Asus SupremeFX Hi-Fi 5.25", Elgato Wave 1
Power Supply EVGA 1600 T2 w/ NF-A14 iPPC IP67 fan
Mouse Logitech G403 Wireless (PMW3366)
Keyboard Logitech G910 Stickerbombed
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/search/submissions/permalink?userId=92615&cpuId=5773
Similarly to the GTX 970 incident, Intel needs to partially reimburse the customer of these CPUs, as it affects the performance now.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Similarly to the GTX 970 incident, Intel needs to partially reimburse the customer of these CPUs, as it affects the performance now.

Not really similar to the 970 though. The 970 performed exactly the same in reviews before and after the the deception by Nvidia was made known.

In this case we have CPUs that don't perform exactly the same as before and after the news broke of it's security vulnerabilities and the patch and the potential risks on down the road. At least thus far.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Not really similar to the 970 though. The 970 performed exactly the same in reviews before and after the the deception by Nvidia was made known.

In this case we have CPUs that don't perform exactly the same as before and after the news broke of it's security vulnerabilities and the patch and the potential risks on down the road. At least thus far.

Considering that card was falsely advertised as having 4 gigs when in fact it only had 3.5

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
It did have 4 GB VRAM and you probably noticed that Nvidia continued to advertise it as a 4 GB card even after the class action lawsuit was settled out of court. Where Nvidia deceived, and eventually paid up for with $30 rebates per card, is in failing to disclose that the last .5 GB VRAM ran 7 times slower that the rest of VRAM. But, in any case, what Intel has done is a bit more far reaching in consequences imo. We'll see.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
It did have 4 GB VRAM and you probably noticed that Nvidia continued to advertise it as a 4 GB card even after the class action lawsuit was settled out of court. Where Nvidia deceived, and eventually paid up for with $30 rebates per card, is in failing to disclose that the last .5 GB VRAM ran 7 times slower that the rest of VRAM. But, in any case, what Intel has done is a bit more far reaching in consequences imo. We'll see.

I see legal suits in their future

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running

Technically, it's the OS that slowed down ...

Technically, it's the OS that slowed down ...
It was more than the OS. In games, whenever that last 512mb of VRAM were accessed the game itself would stutter and chug. Never understood why and thought it was a driver problem until after the info went public. But it was an unpleasantness for sure. I will not touch that card because of the inconsistent performance. It would literally have been better to release the card with only 3.5GB of ram.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
It is OK to blame Intel for releasing Meltdown-vulnerable processors. But since it can be solved with Linux KPTI and Windows kernel rework, and Intel did finish those work with Linux team and Microsoft in time, it's kinda less unacceptable.

But hell no, you can’t blame Intel for Spectre vulnerability. It affects ALL modern processors with speculative execution and is simply impossible to fix (unless every app developer cooperates). The only way we currently know is to drop speculative execution and get back to stone age (80x86). We need another breakthrough in computer science in the following years to fix it.

It's not in any way acceptable. They released a product they knew would take a performance hit and would get bad publicity during the holiday season to reap maximum sales before customers could realize what was up. That's not even the full picture either, we are getting reports of 8000 series processors getting up to 30% less performance on lower end motherboards. It definitely looks like Intel essentially released these processors with only their top end motherboards and super lower base clocks because they knew people would buy based off reviews, regardless of whether or not they are actually getting that performance on their lower end motherboards.

The last 2 years for Intel have been nothing but shit from the thin PCB of skylake bending, to their shitty TIM, to IME issues, and now this (the biggest of them all). I know this list is missing allot but people get the point.

In most cases, Companies are not required to admit fault, merely they are required to pay money. It's shitty but it's the way the system works. Companies are granted far more rights and power than individuals.

Well, when you say it like that you make it sounds like one of the most horrible economic systems out there. Granted, we are definitely seeing how bad unmitigated capitalism can really be.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Purple Stuff
Processor Intel Core I7-8700K @ 5.0 Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory Corsair Vengence 16 GB DDR4 @ 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung EVO 960 500 GB, HDD 4TB WD Black, SSD Crucial MX400 1TB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU 27" x2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass
Power Supply Seasonic Focus + Platinum 850 W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 700
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
Software Win 10 Pro
It's not in any way acceptable. They released a product they knew would take a performance hit and would get bad publicity during the holiday season to reap maximum sales before customers could realize what was up. That's not even the full picture either, we are getting reports of 8000 series processors getting up to 30% less performance on lower end motherboards. It definitely looks like Intel essentially released these processors with only their top end motherboards and super lower base clocks because they knew people would buy based off reviews, regardless of whether or not they are actually getting that performance on their lower end motherboards.

Giving the circumstances you would've done the same thing. Let's see ... Coffee Lake is built upon Kaby Lake which is built upon Skylake and the list goes on, they share the same arch. Now Intel would have to scrap the whole arch and send it back to the drawing board thus sending the arch back into development stages... that would be what 6-8 months? Also there are contracts and deadlines that they need to deliver that would not only mean an impact on sales but also would result in the company owing money to 3rd parties for a deadline breach. Would you put the company in a more awkward position than it already is? Bad publicity can be mitigated while shipping out trucks worth of money for contract breaches cannot. You're making this sound like they didn't intend to fix anything regarding both Meltdown and Specter although the public statement was due today. The only reason this is news is because someone decided to blow the horn early otherwise the statement given today would be "we had some vulnerabilities and they've been patched" .
It's not Intel's motherboards, it's Intel's chipset granted, the rest is handled by AIB's, last time I checked Intel wasn't in charge of that. Furthermore would you get a 8700k and stick it on a $20 MB?.
Any company out there would've done the same thing in Intel's position and if the Data Centers can live with it I'm betting so can the average user who won't notice the difference. If Intel cocked-up which they did they will pay there's no way around that. Mind posting the links to those 30% less performance benches? Asking out of sheer curiosity.

The last 2 years for Intel have been nothing but shit from the thin PCB of skylake bending, to their shitty TIM, to IME issues, and now this (the biggest of them all). I know this list is missing allot but people get the point.

Skylake sold, Kaby sold, Coffee sold. If a product is inferior by any means in your opinion you have other options which now you do: Ryzen. The only one responsible for Intel's tight grip on the market is whom? If the answer is the lack of competition you are right and I'm not sure if Intel is worried about AMD at this point either since they still control the enterprise segment and they will as long as contracts are still running.
The rest is politics which I won't get into.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Giving the circumstances you would've done the same thing. Let's see ... Coffee Lake is built upon Kaby Lake which is built upon Skylake and the list goes on, they share the same arch. Now Intel would have to scrap the whole arch and send it back to the drawing board thus sending the arch back into development stages... that would be what 6-8 months? Also there are contracts and deadlines that they need to deliver that would not only mean an impact on sales but also would result in the company owing money to 3rd parties for a deadline breach. Would you put the company in a more awkward position than it already is? Bad publicity can be mitigated while shipping out trucks worth of money for contract breaches cannot. You're making this sound like they didn't intend to fix anything regarding both Meltdown and Specter although the public statement was due today. The only reason this is news is because someone decided to blow the horn early otherwise the statement given today would be "we had some vulnerabilities and they've been patched" .
It's not Intel's motherboards, it's Intel's chipset granted, the rest is handled by AIB's, last time I checked Intel wasn't in charge of that. Furthermore would you get a 8700k and stick it on a $20 MB?.
Any company out there would've done the same thing in Intel's position and if the Data Centers can live with it I'm betting so can the average user who won't notice the difference. If Intel cocked-up which they did they will pay there's no way around that. Mind posting the links to those 30% less performance benches? Asking out of sheer curiosity.

Skylake sold, Kaby sold, Coffee sold. If a product is inferior by any means in your opinion you have other options which now you do: Ryzen. The only one responsible for Intel's tight grip on the market is whom? If the answer is the lack of competition you are right and I'm not sure if Intel is worried about AMD at this point either since they still control the enterprise segment and they will as long as contracts are still running.
The rest is politics which I won't get into.
Well it put them in an even more awkward position because of multiple security breaches in the architecture, they were not upfront about it but tried hiding it.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Don't get me started on that crap. All of these issues and yet we still have people around here defending Intel and going so far as to still recommend people to buy their processors. Where is the hate for Intel? Where is the kind of hate that everyone loves to spew in Microsoft's direction? Oh yeah... I forgot. *crickets*

they were not upfront about it but tried hiding it.
Rubbish. The release of information was done in a responsible and coordinated way working with the researchers. They had no intention of hiding anything.
EDIT sorry for the late response, didn't see it earlier..

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Rubbish. The release of information was done in a responsible and coordinated way working with the researchers. They had no intention of hiding anything.

Ok

For it to date back as far as it has that is pretty serious and they were hiding it