• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RISC-V Foundation Issues Statement on Spectre, Meltdown Exploits

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Recent articles in the media have raised awareness around the processor security vulnerabilities named Meltdown and Spectre. These vulnerabilities are particularly troubling as they are not due to a bug in a particular processor implementation, but are a consequence of the widespread technique of speculative execution. Many generations of processors with different ISAs and from several different manufacturers are susceptible to the attacks, which exploit the fact that instructions speculatively executed on incorrectly predicted code paths can leave observable changes in micro-architectural state even though the instructions' architectural state changes will be undone once the branch prediction is found incorrect. No announced RISC-V silicon is susceptible, and the popular open-source RISC-V Rocket processor is unaffected as it does not perform memory accesses speculatively.

While these two vulnerabilities are independent of the ISA, they are just the most recent examples to showcase how the devices we use and trust every day are subject to a barrage of attacks from sophisticated adversaries. Each new attack causes architects to scramble to develop hardware and software mitigation techniques, but fixes are considerably more difficult to develop and verify when dealing with legacy architectures that come from a time before security was a zeroth-order concern. As we power up more intelligence everywhere, we need to develop new robust security approaches instead of just papering over the cracks in existing designs.

The RISC-V community has an historic opportunity to "do security right" from the get-go with the benefit of up-to-date knowledge. In particular, the open RISC-V ISA makes it possible for many different groups to experiment with alternative mitigation techniques and share results. The RISC-V Foundation was formed with an open and inclusive governance model to allow for contributions from leading experts across academia and industry. Witness how the processor security research community (DARPA SSITH RISC-V-based program) is standardizing around RISC-V because it is simple and open.

Together, we are unleashing a new innovation frontier by developing the extensible RISC-V ISA available for all to use in various micro-architectural incarnations across all forms of computing devices.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Imho the issue here is not the age of x86 as this statement seems to imply, but the countless layers on top of what was once a clean and simple architecture.
For comparison, just look at where JS started and where it is today. There are (sound) reasons for why we do this time and again, but once we figure out a way to become more agile and embrace change more quickly, we'll all be in a better place.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Imho the issue here is not the age of x86 as this statement seems to imply, but the countless layers on top of what was once a clean and simple architecture.
For comparison, just look at where JS started and where it is today. There are (sound) reasons for why we do this time and again, but once we figure out a way to become more agile and embrace change more quickly, we'll all be in a better place.
Pre (emption google predictive text had me over) execution is a direct use of hardware to try and accelerate the performance of code ,, it's not per say a requirement of running x86 but it's performance was worth the development.
At the end of the day some very clever guy's learned something new about a side flaw in architectural development, most chip companies will be able to address this in hardware quite quickly some like Risc mitigated it by design already but with this being RISC it cant play crysis either so im ok with it not melting or spectering while it runs hard disks etc thanks Risc-V:)

Last edited:
Risc-V is great, really want to see it do well. About that technique of speculative execution i found this: :pimp:

Translated; the loss of performance for data centers of 30% is insurmountable because the failure in the architecture of intel is at the level of hardware because the cpu intel try to predict what the user will execute to increase performance and through these speculations grant access to functions and privileged data protected in the system kernel

I'm not that familiar with RISC-V, but I don't understand why an ISA architecture can be less susceptible to a microarchitecture flaw, as microarchitecture implementation is quite unrelated to ISA. Can't a RISC-V processor add a speculative feature?

And the statement itself is quite ambiguous. It just said "no existing RISC-V processor is vulnerable", "one of our microarchitecture does not do speculative access". But is it just because RISC-V community haven't found a decent speculative implementation yet?

Disclaimer: if RISC-V does have certain features that work around specualtive execution, all of above statements are annulled.

Last edited:
I'm not that familiar with RISC-V, but I don't understand why an ISA architecture can be less susceptible to a microarchitecture flaw, as microarchitecture implementation is quite unrelated to ISA. Can't a RISC-V processor add a speculative feature?

And the statement itself is quite ambiguous. It just said "no existing RISC-V processor is vulnerable", "one of our microarchitecture does not do speculative access". But is it just because RISC-V community haven't found a decent speculative implementation yet?

Disclaimer: if RISC-V does have certain features that work around specualtive execution, all of above statements are annulled.
There's no guarantee. They're just taking the opportunity to get free publicity. Implementation bugs could still sneak in and be detected years later. Open doesn't necessarily mean secure. And Heartbleed is the best example, with the bug going undetected for years despite being totally out in the open. In theory issues "can" be identified faster. In practice they're not. You just get the promise and everybody sits calmly assuming someone else is looking at it.

I'm not saying that open is bad, or that RISC-V is bad, just that these guys just want to ride the wave and promote their name a little. They bring very little real world, concrete benefits. Only paper ones. I'm pretty sure that if a bug were to be found in a RISC-V CPU used as widely as x86 is it would have the exact same impact.

System Name Skypas
Processor Intel Core i7-6700
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) LG 22EA63V
Case Corsair Carbide 400Q
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2 w/ Deepcool XFan 120
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 Pro (to be replaced by 2025)
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
IBut is it just because RISC-V community haven't found a decent speculative implementation yet?

Pretty much , if they do want to turn this into an actual competitor to ARM and x86 they will have to include things like out-of-order execution but that isn't up to the people behind RISC-V bur rather to the ones that will implement it.

The article says itself: 'no announced RISC-V silicon is susceptible'. That doesn't mean the instruction set isn't, it's just that all announced cores are pretty simple cores that don't perform memory accesses speculatively. They're, simply said, just lucky no high performance core were developed yet.

While MIPS is not vulnerable to Meltdown. Linux on MIPS can not leak any kernel pages -- simply because MIPS does not do paging in kernel mode.
I would say from everything I've read, MIPS seems to be the grand winner here.

moonscape

I don't understand those statements. Those "countless layers" of complexity on top of the original architecture have taken time to accumulate. Like sediments building mountains.

You must be the first person I have heard to say x86 was ever a "clean and simple architecture". Ever since the launch of the 16 bit x86 it has been ridiculed by processor designers and users alike.

Back in the days when the 286 was a new thing, we had a fat document, under NDA, describing all the errors in that chip. Most of them were ways to break the protected memory model.

Javascript is neither here nor there. Certainly JS has sprouted some new features in recent years. After years of stagnation. It's basically the same old JS.

It is change that has brought us to this situation. By wanting to be more "agile", whatever that is, you are asking for more change, faster, with more un-thought through consequences.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I don't understand those statements. Those "countless layers" of complexity on top of the original architecture have taken time to accumulate. Like sediments building mountains.

You must be the first person I have heard to say x86 was ever a "clean and simple architecture". Ever since the launch of the 16 bit x86 it has been ridiculed by processor designers and users alike.

Back in the days when the 286 was a new thing, we had a fat document, under NDA, describing all the errors in that chip. Most of them were ways to break the protected memory model.

Javascript is neither here nor there. Certainly JS has sprouted some new features in recent years. After years of stagnation. It's basically the same old JS.

It is change that has brought us to this situation. By wanting to be more "agile", whatever that is, you are asking for more change, faster, with more un-thought through consequences.
x86 has always been criticized for being CISC instead of RISC, that much is true. But the fact that 40 years later it's still with us means it wasn't that bad.
And those "countless layers" refer to pipelining and superscalar design which just an attempt to mimic RISC while keeping the x86 compatibility. SIMD. Layered caches.
For comparison ARM doesn't have those problems, they fielded a clean new design and took the smartphone market by storm. Intel was never able to make a dent in that market, even with their superior fabs.

And I agree with that last part, that's why I said "once we figure out a way to become more agile", because I'm fully aware we need the means and tools to build and verify new designs and architectures before we can afford to switch them altogether.