• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"Where Are My Graphics Cards?" - 3 Million Sold to Cryptocurrency Miners in 2017

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
I also remember doing a Bing Quiz and saw that Iceland needs more energy due to the mining craze happening, there. Not sure if mining is entirely to blame but it can be a cause to the problem.

That the least of of our problems, in the upcoming decides energy grids are going to be heavily burdened once EVs take off, and if wireless power/charging takes off wouldn't be surprised if whole grids we're brought to their knees.

System Name Indis the Fair (cursed edition)
Processor 11900k 5.1/4.9 undervolted.
Motherboard MSI Z590 Unify-X
Cooling Heatkiller VI Pro, VPP755 V.3, XSPC TX360 slim radiator, 3xA12x25, 4x Arctic P14 case fans
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 4000 16-19-19 (b-die@3600 14-14-14 1.45v)
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid (T30-120 fan)
Storage 970EVO 1TB, 660p 1TB, WD Blue 3D 1TB, Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2546K, Dell P2417H
Case FD Define 7
Audio Device(s) DT770 Pro, Topping A50, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Røde VXLR+, Modmic 5
Power Supply Seasonic 860w Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper Mini, Odin Infinity mousepad
Keyboard GMMK Fullsize v2 (Boba U4Ts)
Software Win10 x64/Win7 x64/Ubuntu
EVs are just displacing existing energy use through fossil fuels. The investment that goes into the petroleum industry today will over time be shifted to other energy sources.

System Name gamingPZ
Processor i7-6700k
Motherboard Asrock Z170M Pro4S
Cooling scythe mugen4
Memory 32GB ddr4 2400mhz crucial ballistix sport lt
Video Card(s) gigabyte GTX 1070 ti
Storage ssd - crucial MX500 1TB
Case silverstone sugo sg10
Power Supply Evga G2 650w
Software win10
So, assuming the average crypto card is run at around 100w power, there are of the order of 300 gigawatts of power that are being wasted mining...

Based on that alone, I think crypto should be banned.
I was about to type something similar - one can only guess how much form existing GPU's run 24/7 for greedy individuals (these 3 million are only from 2017. Q4 or the whole year?)

Last edited:
System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
so owners of GPUs that can actually mine already are being encouraged to mine while not gaming, so as to try and offset the markups in the current GPU offerings.
Yeah, no. Hash rate isn't high enough and I'd wear down the hardware forcing me to buy new...for a ridiculous price in order to have a worthwhile jump in performance.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
So, assuming the average crypto card is run at around 100w power, there are of the order of 300 gigawatts of power that are being wasted mining...

not that long back my pair of gaming 980 TI cards used maybe 400 watts while gaming.. high end AMD cards used even more.. you could use the same argument to ban gaming..

large scale mining farms are set up in places like iceland because of the cold climate and very cheap electricity.. its needs special circumstance like this to make large scale mining profitable..

icelands answer seems an easy one.. build more power generating plants and welcome the miners or jack up the price of electricity and drive them away..

trog

The future looks bleak.
Nvidia : with no real competition, and the miners finally gobbling them GTX also, the price is only seeing the up trend for considerable amount of time.
and that slight fall in supply though deemed "seasonal" makes me feel little worried too as with shadow play their next big game is subscription service model, as adding new customers each quarter is impossible after some limit, so they in reality have another incentive to constrain hardware supply.
AMD : they are laughing all the way to bank even with no competition at top end of spectrum. they can continue the same way and still demand a premium cause of mining. granted they are heavily focused on CPU side for now, and that gives me another reason to believe that they will continue the same way. to top it they are promoting CPU mining now too soo they also want to price their CPU's the way GPU's are right now.
#tinfoilhat #torches$pitchfork #deadenthusiast #prebuildonlyoption

not that long back my pair of gaming 980 TI cards used maybe 400 watts while gaming.. high end AMD cards used even more.. you could use the same argument to ban gaming..

large scale mining farms are set up in places like iceland because of the cold climate and very cheap electricity.. its needs special circumstance like this to make large scale mining profitable..

icelands answer seems an easy one.. build more power generating plants and welcome the miners or jack up the price of electricity and drive them away..

trog
Unlike miner ****, gamers dont play games 24/7 for months on end. On average gamers spent only 5-7 hrs a week gaming so power consumption is just small fraction of what these mining rigs leech from grid.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2014/multi-platform-gaming-for-the-win.html

Last edited:
System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
i am a miner and really dont like being referred to as scum.. this miner hate sh-t is getting a little out of hand.. he he..

trog

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650
I just hope Nvidia severely cripples the compute capabilities of the upcoming Geforce line and introduces cheaper Tesla models for mining only.

Last edited:
i am a miner and really dont like being referred to as scum.. this miner hate sh-t is getting a little out of hand.. he he..

trog
I am refering to class who buys gpus in bulk and have datacentre-esq setups. Those are the ones burning a lot of electricity. Casual gamers who mine on side they are a little difficult to clasiffy though they are also adding strain on grid with their Pc and cooling setups. They are going to suffer adverse consequences of mining with reduced life of their hardware and having to spend on new hardware in case of a failure.

I just hope Nvidia severely cripples the compute capabilities of the upcoming Geforce line and introduces cheaper Tesla models for mining only.
How is anyone going to cripple compute capabilities without severly affecting gaming performance? It cannot be done in firmware as most miners run custom bios and it cannot be done in drivers as most miners will be on Linux or if on windows drivers are easy(relatively) to bypass.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
@R-T-B may know some answers ;)

I only took 2, so don't look at me. I officially bought more for gaming than mining.

Great, no one can track your transactions.

Actually, everyone can. That IS blockchain in a nutshell.

"Overall GPU shipments in the fourth quarter of 2017 actually decreased 1.5% from the previous quarter"

Still waiting on that production increase, that the mining defenders said was coming...

If it doesn't come, you have no one to blame but the manufacturers. Demand IS there.

I don't know, I think people should be allowed to "waste" their electricity on whatever they buy it for.

Yeah, no. Hash rate isn't high enough and I'd wear down the hardware forcing me to buy new...for a ridiculous price in order to have a worthwhile jump in performance.

You wouldn't wear it down in any meaningful way. That's really a myth.

Unlike miner scum, gamers dont play games 24/7 for months on end. On average gamers spent only 5-7 hrs a week gaming so power consumption is just small fraction of what these mining rigs leech from grid.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2014/multi-platform-gaming-for-the-win.html

they also don't tend to underclock for maximum efficiency.

Please don't refer to fellow forum users as "scum" btw.

Hell no. Elite Dangerous really taxes compute as is! You can pry that kind of procedural generation from my cold, dead gamer hands!

Last edited:
silliness.... the 3 million cards sold only represent about 11% of the overall GPU sold for the period...
Was that discrete cards only or all iGPU? Then if it is just 11% of the overall discrete market, then that should hardly be making the effects we are in currently (no stock/extreme prices). I mean is 11% volume spread across everything from what had been considered "above entry" (1050Ti, 570 4Gb) on up really enough to cause this disruption? Then there's the memory shortage, said to account to a 20% slow-down...

I say I'm not sure if Jon Peddie can get down to the "granularities" of all the world wide sales outlets to actually see if 3 card here 5 cards there are being soaked up by DYI miners. They might be able to report the larger mining farms that have the inside track to see volumes sales (100's at a time) not going into retail but does he get information from Newegg, Amazon, and others and distinguishable as miners/gamers sales. I doubt such company's care to offer that information or have a fool-proof way to even sort it.

ppn

Hardware Disable cuda on all non quadro cards, like Sli is not present on 1060. Let miners buy quadro.

I only took 2, so don't look at me. I officially bought more for gaming than mining.

Actually, everyone can. That IS blockchain in a nutshell.

If it doesn't come, you have no one to blame but the manufacturers. Demand IS there.

I don't know, I think people should be allowed to "waste" their electricity on whatever they buy it for.

You wouldn't wear it down in any meaningful way. That's really a myth.

they also don't tend to underclock for maximum efficiency.

Please don't refer to fellow forum users as "scum" btw.

Hell no. Elite Dangerous really taxes compute as is! You can pry that kind of procedural generation from my cold, dead gamer hands!
Sorry my bad, retracted the word.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Still waiting on that production increase, that the mining defenders said was coming...

I am pretty sure miners would like to see that too.

Society should be thankful for miners, after all. They are keeping young minds away from violent and disturbing games that could warp their soft brain matter. Seems like a win-win for me.

Was that discrete cards only or all iGPU?

I would also be curious to know this.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Hardware Disable cuda on all non quadro cards, like Sli is not present on 1060. Let miners buy quadro.

And OpenCL? DirectCompute?

Both are more commonly used for mining.

Disable it too right? What about games that USE compute?

Sorry my bad, retracted the word.

I appreciate it, thanks.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Mining scum!

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me

trog
Dont worry, trog, mad angry gamers are just jealous thay they cant get anything done and play games because they are bored in life. Playing games doesnt produce anything, at least mining is trying to create new tech.
*to mad angry gamers, why you so mad bro!!!

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Dont worry, trog, mad angry gamers are just jealous thay they cant get anything done and play games because they are bored in life. Playing games doesnt produce anything, at least mining is trying to create new tech.
*to mad angry gamers, why you so mad bro!!!
Oh come on man, at least be honest. I don’t care if you’re doing it or not, but be honest: you are doing it to make money, not create new tech. That’s the first I have heard of that reason.

What is said new tech supposed to produce? What is it useful for?

System Name MSI GP76
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Oh come on man, at least be honest. I don’t care if you’re doing it or not, but be honest: you are doing it to make money, not create new tech. That’s the first I have heard of that reason.

Of course I am in it for the money, I still got in early enough to make some money from it. But I like the overall idea of blockchain tech, it might help out with commence.

Then please hear it again:

One reason I am involved in several Crypto's is I also believe they will do a lot of good for the world. Sure I am making bank, but not as much in the short term as I would be if I focused on projects from a purely speculative/profit-oriented point of view.

Playing games doesnt produce anything
Games don't but the advancements in such graphic technology in general goes hand-in-hand with many and much of todays movies. There are a lot of jobs that work in and on such advancements and gaming is more a low level use but honestly there's money from that that supplement the overall work. Although, probably less anymore because gaming house are anymore less about the "true immersive experiences" and more about money so less feeding of technology back and forth.

System Name MSI GP76
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Games don't but the advancements in such graphic technology in general goes hand-in-hand with many and much of todays movies. There are a lot of jobs that work in and on such advancements and gaming is more a low level use but honestly there's money from that that supplement the overall work. Although, probably less anymore because gaming house are anymore less about the "true immersive experiences" and more about money so less feeding of technology back and forth.
You can say the same thing with mining, its trying to advance a new tech and it employs people in the market.