• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Confessions of a Crypto Miner: CPU Mining

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Welcome back to "Confessions of a Crypto Miner," my column about a crypto miner from 2013 trying to get caught up with the latest standards. I'm presently mining and reporting to you from a dual-GTX 1080 based rig mining zCash.

Today we are going to take a look at mining again - using the CPU in particular. CPU mining is the original form of mining cryptocoins.

Bitcoin and similar programs were originally designed with a miner built into the wallet that mined on your CPU. As time moved on, people realized how ridiculously simple most crypto algorithms of the time were (Bitcoin, as an example, is a simple SHA-256 hash that can be done on something as simple as pen and paper!) They adapted it to execute on GPUs, in parallel, to make best use of these chips' processing power. Some cases (like Bitcoin) are now run almost exclusively on special purpose, many-cored ASIC chips that are built for just this single task. CPU mining became too inefficient for everyone for a long time until some special coins came out based on so-called "CPU-only" algorithms. The most noteworthy of these is probably the Monero coin and its related CryptoNight hash algorithm. It relies on some memory-intensive access principles that CPUs are very good at, resulting in making CPU mining profitable again. The important question now is, "How profitable?" Are CPUs going to be the next thing flying off the shelves, now that GPUs ran out? Let's find out.

My miner, since its inception, has mined zCash, but mining zCash on the CPU is a silly exercise that nets nearly nothing versus electric. As such, I'm turning the CPU to Monero, even though I have expressed reservations about the currency in the past. Those reservations, briefly, are mainly due to its anonymous nature: exchanges have begun to flag this anonymity-centered currency as "high risk," and liquidity on it can be low at times. It's also the posterchild for illegal activity using digital currency, since it can't be tracked, and if any crypto is going to be made illegal via regulation, it's likely Monero. That said, I still don't see why mining on the side with my CPU would be bad - if the numbers suggest a quick and easy profit, so I ran some tests to see what my measly R3 1200 Ryzen can do.

After just a day of mining, a few things became clear. First was that running all four of my Ryzen's cores was not sustainable, as the OS bogged down, and my wallets and miners on the same machine ceased to function. Three cores/threads wasn't sustainable either, as hash rate on the GPU-miner program tanked, and since that's the big moneymaker, we can't have that. So I could only use a measly 2 threads of my 4-core 4-thread Ryzen, and like that it makes just $3.00 per month! That is outrageously poor. I held out hope, though, as power draw only went up by 40 watts, and plugging that into a power calculator shows it costs about well - a little over $3.30.

Yes, mining Monero and selling immediately on a R3 1200 Ryzen appears to be a losing gambit. I can only advise it if you believe that the coin will go up, something I don't believe in.

In order to get data from a more powerful system, I went to my personal R7 1800X based rig, with all of its 8 cores and 16 threads. I quickly found that I can load all eight physical cores before things start to bog down (SMT does nothing for Monero, but it lets the OS chug along with no problems!) What did I get? The short, non-scientific version is, I got roughly six times the hash rate, yielding a more respectable $18.00 per month with no OS slowdown - still rather underwhelming. It also drew a little over three times the power from idle to full load, or about 150W. Granted, my CPU is overclocked, and you could probably improve this efficiency curve, but the bottom line is, no one is getting rich off of CPU mining. It's more a question of whether you should put that idle hardware to work at all, not whether you should buy into it. In my 1800X's case, the 150W power cost is ~$10.00 per month, so I'll turn $8 in profits in the same duration. Is it worth the wear and tear? Honestly, I'd say "yes," but only because I know CPUs can take it. I would never, however, buy a CPU for mining alone. The financials just aren't there. My honest advice for your mining rigs is still to buy the cheapest CPU/platform available, forget about CPU mining, and call it a day. There is no reason at all to splurge on a Ryzen R7 1800X here.

Want to tell me something? Do you think I did something wrong? If so, let me know in the comments below! I welcome questions and feedback of all types and look forward to some great discussion.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
You went too small, dude: think "epic" ...

EDIT

Had posted the wrong video: fixed it.

Warning: the clip triggers my mining blocker add-on.

Last edited:
System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
If that's so, I'm curious about what a RISC would yield. (Not questioning if Monero can be had on RISC)
I'd guess, more efficient, however even less system response for everything else.

place a 1800x to mine (with all the riscs of a 24/7 heavy worklod can bring) for 8 dollar months profit it sooooo paesant...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
I also have a confession to make.

I use the **** out of uBlock Origin and hate miners.

Unrelated to this thread, but cool story bro.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
place a 1800x to mine (with all the riscs of a 24/7 heavy worklod can bring) for 8 dollar months profit it sooooo paesant...

That was basically my conclusion (assuming you are being sarcastic). It's not worth it in the least.

me too, may crypto and all the miners and cryptonazy buuuuurn in pain in the bloodiest part of hell, yea lol

Again, cool story bro. About all I got for that. Please try to stay on topic. This is an educational thread.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
yea, im quite sarcastic, but not too much

Well there is no denying you can usually put a CPU to much much better use.

The wear isn't much of a concern here (CPU can take it). The uselessness of the payout is however.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Very interesting story. Thx for sharing froggy.

I wouldn't chance a new Mobo, an 1800X and the DDR4 memory for $8 a month! Some night a memory slot gets hot and takes out a stick of $100 ram and the mobo, or worse burns the house down. Then fire inspector finds that it's caused in the garage, and your home owner's insurance doesn't cover loss due to running that type of "business". They could make a "Mayhem" and "Halls of Claims" insurance commercials...

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
I wouldn't chance a new Mobo, an 1800X and the DDR4 memory for $8 a month! Some night a memory slot gets hot and takes out a stick of $100 ram and the mobo, or worse burns the house down. Then fire inspector finds that it's caused in the garage, and your home owner's insurance doesn't cover loss due to running that type of "business". They could make a "Mayhem" and "Halls of Claims" insurance commercials...
I have 5 systems, two of which are oc'd 1800Xs, they all run full load 24/7. They aren't mining, but helping find cures for cancer/aids instead. I think you majorly overestimate the risks of running a well built and maintained machine at full load.

@R-T-B , I'm occasionally mining Zcash with the 1080Ti, seems to do fairly well, last time I left it going overnight I had £2.60 worth in my wallet :D I don't mine often enough to get a good average though so take it with a pinch of salt. I definitely wouldn't bother mining on a CPU personally.

EDIT - certain participants have been thread banned. I don't want to see this thread filled with Hate and abuse. Those posts will be cleaned by another mod soon.

Not hating, just Devil's Advocating...
While today's equipment is yes much less prone to such issues, I've been around long enough to remember failures of that type in the past (not burning down the house) and went "crap" that could've gotten to be a bigger problem. I see it as "service" to say think about it, take the proper precautions, and be prepared.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I definitely wouldn't bother mining on a CPU personally.

Pretty much my conclusion. I was hoping for much more. As it stands, the CPU is much better put to work being a file server and game server combo. :)

Worse yet, that was made with my OC'd gaming rig. I wouldn't do it simply because I love it too much.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
@R-T-B Thanks for this. I had been contemplating getting my XEON going on CPU mining but always thought it just wasn't worth the effort. This sort of validates that assumption.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Look into argon2d algo coins. They're cpu oriented coins meant to provide resistance to not just asics but gpus as well. The two coins that I know of that use it just got their first pool but are also viable for solo mining.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Nice one "froggy" :)

Using Bit Coin Miner (windows app in the windows store) After about a a week I came to the conclusion I was making 8 cents a day with a 1080 ti not counting the utility s. I think it would be better to sell the card and put the money in something like GE or Tesla I am all into that Mars thing - lol

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Using Bit Coin Miner (windows app in the windows store) After about a a week I came to the conclusion I was making 8 cents a day with a 1080 ti not counting the utility s. I think it would be better to sell the card and put the money in something like GE or Tesla I am all into that Mars thing - lol

No offense, but why would you be mining Bitcoin? You would be better off mining an alt coin or a service like NiceHash (not including any recent events) and getting paid in bitcoin. Although, with the recent market you are very much better off not mining.

I have 5 systems, two of which are oc'd 1800Xs, they all run full load 24/7. They aren't mining, but helping find cures for cancer/aids instead. I think you majorly overestimate the risks of running a well built and maintained machine at full load.

@R-T-B , I'm occasionally mining Zcash with the 1080Ti, seems to do fairly well, last time I left it going overnight I had £2.60 worth in my wallet :D I don't mine often enough to get a good average though so take it with a pinch of salt. I definitely wouldn't bother mining on a CPU personally.

EDIT - certain participants have been thread banned. I don't want to see this thread filled with Hate and abuse. Those posts will be cleaned by another mod soon.

You are better off mining for 8 Dollars a month, because there is no "finding cure for cancer/aids", that is just renting computing power for nothing, and they are also profiting off you sorry ass.
There is no monetary Point of finding cure for cancer or aids, you DF. Cancer and AIds are Billion Dollar industry, and no one is interested in "finding a cure" for it.

Not saysing that it cant be found, because i know of at least 3 ways to cure cancer and aids. Distilled water fasting (Zero Food intake) is one of them.
So anyone giving away computing power, to help find "cure for cancer/aids" is in my eyes D as F.
Wake up People !

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
You are better off mining for 8 Dollars a month, because there is no "finding cure for cancer/aids", that is just renting computing power for nothing, and they are also profiting off you sorry ass.
There is no monetary Point of finding cure for cancer or aids, you DF. Cancer and AIds are Billion Dollar industry, and no one is interested in "finding a cure" for it.

Not saysing that it cant be found, because i know of at least 3 ways to cure cancer and aids. Distilled water fasting (Zero Food intake) is one of them.
So anyone giving away computing power, to help find "cure for cancer/aids" is in my eyes D as F.
Wake up People !

You really could have been nicer about it. I would also like to do a large scaled test on your distilled water fasting. I have a feeling it is nearly as effective as placebo or being a breatharian. The mind can do amazing things when it believes what it is doing will help.

Again, I don't see why anyone cares what anyone else is doing with their computing power.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

Wake up People !

If you think distilled water fasting can "cure aids" I really don't have much I can say to you.