• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair Obsidian 1000D Leaked to Amazon

System Name HAL
Processor i7 975
Motherboard Asus Rampage III
Cooling Corsair H50
Memory Patriot Viper 2000mhz 8-8-8-24
Video Card(s) HD 5970 x 2
Storage C300 256gb x 2
Case Corsair 800D
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
The Corsair 900D was the worst cases I ever owned and I could not give it away fast enough.

It has way too much plastic which made it feel really cheap and nasty and was also very fragile.

There was not enough clearance to do the screws up that hold the GPU brackets.

The filters where always moving around as the magnetic attachments were total crap.

It has to be one of the worst designed cases ever.

Lets hope the 1000D is an improvement but I would not count on it.

Well i call fail on Corsair for this one. 500$? For what? For that price expect it to be all aluminium and better looks. Only 8 120mm fans? only 5-6 drives all of wich do not have direct airflow?

This one looks meh from the outside. And this comes from a guy who loves super towers like this. Currently i'd rather go with Cooler Master C700P. Atleast that one has some style and costs nearly half less than this: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Cooler_Master/Cosmos_C700P/

Well i call fail on Corsair for this one. 500$? For what? For that price expect it to be all aluminium and better looks. Only 8 120mm fans? only 5-6 drives all of wich do not have direct airflow?

This one looks meh from the outside. And this comes from a guy who loves super towers like this. Currently i'd rather go with Cooler Master C700P. Atleast that one has some style and costs nearly half less than this: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Cooler_Master/Cosmos_C700P/
The eight 120mm fans are just for the front panel. It supports another three fans up top and two more in the back for a total of 13 fans. Your C700P supports 3 in the front, 3 up top, and only 1 in the back. A measly 7 fans. Cooler Master also stuck a cheap plastic faceplate on that case that you have to pops off with clips if you want to access the 5.25" bays and only includes tempered glass on one side panel (a second tempered glass panel will cost you $70).

The 1000D supports server motherboards, allows the PCIe slots to rotate if you want to show off your GPUs, and has space to mount a second system running on an ITX motherboard with 2-slot GPU on top of the power supply. It's a completely different beast compared to the Cooler Master Cosmos series. Is it worth $500? Hard to say. I've never been in the market for a case that cost anywhere near that much. But it's a LOT more case than the $299 Cosmos offers.

The eight 120mm fans are just for the front panel. It supports another three fans up top and two more in the back for a total of 13 fans. Your C700P supports 3 in the front, 3 up top, and only 1 in the back. A measly 7 fans. Cooler Master also stuck a cheap plastic faceplate on that case that you have to pops off with clips if you want to access the 5.25" bays and only includes tempered glass on one side panel (a second tempered glass panel will cost you $70).

The 1000D supports server motherboards, allows the PCIe slots to rotate if you want to show off your GPUs, and has space to mount a second system running on an ITX motherboard with 2-slot GPU on top of the power supply. It's a completely different beast compared to the Cooler Master Cosmos series. Is it worth $500? Hard to say. I've never been in the market for a case that cost anywhere near that much. But it's a LOT more case than the $299 Cosmos offers.
Good point on the fans. Yes CM has plastic but it is also not 500$

However i have to disagree on the motherboard part. C700P also supports E-ATX boards (wich in context are not exclusively server boards). Also supports vertical GPU (trough add in module). However C700P has other advantages like rotating the tray to BTX layout instead or the fact the the motherboard tray is removable wich allows one to use it as an open air test bench instead.

Good point on the fans. Yes CM has plastic but it is also not 500$

However i have to disagree on the motherboard part. C700P also supports E-ATX boards (wich in context are not exclusively server boards). Also supports vertical GPU (trough add in module). However C700P has other advantages like rotating the tray to BTX layout instead or the fact the the motherboard tray is removable wich allows one to use it as an open air test bench instead.
1000D supports SSI EEB server motherboards. It fits a full-size dual-socket server motherboard with expansion cards and a separate ITX gaming rig all in the same case. These are not comparable cases. Nobody in the market for a single computer running on an ATX or E-ATX board should be looking to buy the 1000D unless they really just have money to burn and want tons of RGB fans or double 480mm radiators in the front. If you're looking to run a single computer on one motherboard and are dead-set on a monstrous case then I agree that the C700P makes infinitely more sense.

I also can't imagine many folks are buying $300 cases just to pull the motherboard tray out and use it as a test bench. Good for Cooler Master for adding the functionality though.

I hope they eliminated my biggest gripe of my 900D - a vertical brace forming the left rear corner blocks access to tightening the screws that hold cards in the expansion slots.

Last edited:

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I hope they eliminated my biggest gripe of my 900D - a vertical brace forming the left rear corner blocks access to tightening the screws that hold cards in the expansion slots.

Hah, I remember that and not too fondly either.

System Name Diablo | Baal | Mephisto | Andariel
Processor i5-3570K@4.4GHz | 2x Xeon X5675 | i7-4710MQ | i7-2640M
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77 | HP DL380 G6 | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Cooling Swiftech H220-X | Chassis cooled (6 fans + HS) | dual-fanned heatpipes | small-fanned heatpipe
Memory 32GiB DDR3-1600 CL9 | 96GiB DDR3-1333 ECC RDIMM | 32GiB DDR3L-1866 CL11 | 8GiB DDR3L-1600 CL11
Video Card(s) Dual GTX 670 in SLI | Embedded ATi ES1000 | Quadro K2100M | Intel HD 3000
Storage many, many SSDs and HDDs....
Display(s) 1 Dell U3011 + 2x Dell U2410 | HP iLO2 KVMoIP | 3200x1800 Sharp IGZO | 1366x768 IPS with Wacom pen
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D | HP DL380 G6 Chassis | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD | None | On-board | On-board
Power Supply Corsair AX850 | Dual 750W Redundant PSU (Delta) | Dell 330W+240W (Flextronics) | Lenovo 65W (Delta)
Mouse Logitech G502, Logitech G700s, Logitech G500, Dell optical mouse (emergency backup)
Keyboard 1985 IBM Model F 122-key, Ducky YOTT MX Black, Dell AT101W, 1994 IBM Model M, various integrated
Software FAAAR too much to list
1000D supports SSI EEB server motherboards. It fits a full-size dual-socket server motherboard with expansion cards and a separate ITX gaming rig all in the same case. These are not comparable cases. Nobody in the market for a single computer running on an ATX or E-ATX board should be looking to buy the 1000D unless they really just have money to burn and want tons of RGB fans or double 480mm radiators in the front. If you're looking to run a single computer on one motherboard and are dead-set on a monstrous case then I agree that the C700P makes infinitely more sense.

I also can't imagine many folks are buying $300 cases just to pull the motherboard tray out and use it as a test bench. Good for Cooler Master for adding the functionality though.

Even use measly single 480mm rad folks are paying attention. I mean, what else do you have that fits a 480mm rad at all in the market?

900D? Costs about the same for so much less case (and much less pretty as well, IMO).
Enthoo elite? Costs even more while being smaller.
TJ07/TJ11? Much closer, but they're old designs (5.25" bays in 2018?!), and the TJ07 in particular requires modding before you get to bolt in your 480mm at all. AND they cost 500+!
Caselabs/MountainMods? you could build the second system in the 1000D using just leftovers from not buying a 1000D equivalent case from them...
Thermaltake? The View 91 is nice, but at the same price not worth it IMO. The Core W100 is the real competition: It's cheaper, but you give up the second system option, and lose out room for one of the 480mms. It also uses the good ol' 5.25" bay conversion approach like the Caselabs case, which I'm not the biggest fan of these days thanks to having the NAS connected to the desktop at 40G...

The choices are really few and far between once you go past 280-420mm rads, and it kinda sucks.