• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CTS Labs Posts Some Clarifications on AMD "Zen" Vulnerabilities

It's censorship if we delete posts. This is our new anti-sh**post feature. You can still click on that bar to view the sh**post.

That actually sounds like a good new feature... On the topic though is there still any CVEs released by them? I don't really see any new information on this piece of news, which aren't already talked trough on tpu.

All the butt-hurt amd girls raging above, so pathetic.

Yes sure, you should criticize the messenger...

Also, how many people are running windows in admin mode even without knowing it? Yeah, a shitload of them!
SO if all it takes is to run an exe file and then it will be sitting low level and even OS reinstall can't flush it out, then it's a huge fucking problem and amd should be balls grilled for it! Anyone who says otherwise is a brainwashed idiot and a fanboi.
You mean running as admin & also disabling UAC, or are you new to Windows :rolleyes:

Even with admin rights there's tons of protection on various platforms, not to mention AV are also a last line of defense.

Low quality post by Aldain

Also, how many people are running windows in admin mode even without knowing it? Yeah, a shitload of them!
SO if all it takes is to run an exe file and then it will be sitting low level and even OS reinstall can't flush it out, then it's a huge fucking problem and amd should be balls grilled for it! Anyone who says otherwise is a brainwashed idiot and a fanboi.

are you stupid??? did you even read online about this scam before you posted here

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
yup i spent most of the day writing this addon, it should be useful for many threads. other staff said "just delete those useless posts", i wanted to at least keep them around to not censor

Edit: this is not enabled yet for the main site post view (in case you were looking for those hidden posts)
I can't even being to list the ways that this is wrong

just no wizzard you know full well that bot-moderation is about the worst thing on the internet it never works its always wrong and its more trouble then its worth
--- on topic
and I am with xor this garbage should not be given the time of day it should not be on techpowerup along with several other craptacular articles that have been put up as of late cts has repeately proven they aren't worthy of the most basic respect granted to even amature security researchers and this is turning into a bunch of parroting

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
CTS labs is newly created. So to even post anything by this unproven, unrated, unqualified company whose first official report and obvious intention is to slam AMD is a new low for TPU.

It may be that CTS is trolling, but your assertion is off-base. For TPU to be the only site to not cover this, as you appear to want, would have been a sure way for a site-owner like W1zzard to have their site relegated to a back burner, to be 2nd or 3rd tier. People won’t go to sites that they realize just don’t cover events.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I can't even being to list the ways that this is wrong

just no wizzard you know full well that bot-moderation is about the worst thing on the internet it never works its always wrong and its more trouble then its worth
--- on topic
and I am with xor this garbage should not be given the time of day it should not be on techpowerup along with several other craptacular articles that have been put up as of late cts has repeately proven they aren't worthy of the most basic respect granted to even amature security researchers and this is turning into a bunch of parroting
the GN video mentions who is behind CTS/Viceroy and report. if the opinions in the report didnt have so much opinion in it and stuck to the facts, it would much shorter and look less like an attack on AMD.

It may be that CTS is trolling, but your assertion is off-base. For TPU to be the only site to not cover this, as you appear to want, would have been a sure way for a site-owner like W1zzard to have their site relegated to a back burner, to be 2nd or 3rd tier. People won’t go to sites that they realize just don’t cover events.
I was implying TPU is above other sites and might actually note that the report is unconfirmed.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Hardware.fr released their take on this:
- some of the flaws seems to be similar to some that were already discovered in the Project zero of Google
- the flaw linked to the Asmedia chip could be a vulnerability on every board using an asmedia ASM1142 or even ASM1042
- of course exlpoiting those flaws means that you were already screw to begin with.

https://translate.googleusercontent...700201&usg=ALkJrhjmo8J86hVfQr-rKfZwQNQ2rl8BZg

Low quality post by owen10578
System Name Nero Mini
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 4.7GHz-4.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte X570i Aorus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S+3x Noctua IPPC 3K
Memory Team Dark 3800MHz CL16 2x16GB 55ns
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 2060 Super JS Shunt Mod 2130MHz/1925MHz + 2x Noctua 120mm IPPC 3K
Storage Adata XPG Gammix S50 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD68W
Case Lian-Li TU-150
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Couldn't you guys at least be more skeptical instead of just regurgitating what CTS says? I guess it brings in clicks huh?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
If I have admin rights on a PC with an Intel chipset, can I not flash tha BIOS with a malware infected version or do Intel CPU's detect that tampering?

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
I mean its not like bios write protect has existed since msdos or anything right ....
totally could't patch this at ring0 either...
or hey lets not allow mounting /uefi as rw in linux

or I don't know maybe just get AMD the month it would have taken to patch this instead of declaring it was unpatchable to short stock

Last edited:
There is exactly ZERO evidence to debunk CTS Labs’ claims. Only thing AMD reddit death squad have is defamation of CTS Labs and cut-n-paste green-screen conspiracy picture that has nothing to do with the argument. CTS Lab can be funded by ISIS but the argument still stands until proven otherwise. You can’t have bias like some sites where it’s okay to crap on Intel for security flaws but then suppress the news when it’s the underdog AMD.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

First, you would have to have an exploit running to maliciously download the payload, so your system would already be compromised, on top of then you would have to allow all programs to run with administrative privilidge and windows 7/8/10 does NOT allow that out of the box, so a user would have to be savvy enough to turn that functionality on, then be stupid enough to click OK when windows asked if the unrecognized program to run, while not running any form of security software that would immediately interrupt an attempt to write a BIOS.

But I will tell you this, if I had to draw that Venn diagram of someone stupid enough, and just savvy enough I bet your would be in the overlap.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
So Viceroy is trying to do with CTS what the Democrats did with Fusion GPU and the whole Russian collusion thing. Funny. Is this what he future holds? Manufactured fake info? In the past, companies have tried to do this themselves, like Microsoft did with their FUD campaign against DR DOS. (Win. 3.x ran better for me on DR DOS 6 than MS DOS 5!)

Processor AMD 1700X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Power Supply Silencer MK III 850
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I call load of BS on the exploit(s). Wouldn't any system be vulnerable to some DBAG running a malicious executable file with admin rights? I don't understand why AMD is being so quiet about this. No update to their blog post and 3 days now to investigate? AMD's response and handling is so bad I would wonder if the opposite of the speculation is true. Did AMD do this as a false flag then prove it wrong and boost their own stock? It is the worst most ineffective short and pump if not. This is really strange stuff.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
all this crap over cts's credibility was standing BEFORE viceroy chimed in
so yea

and I pretty much covered debucking cts's claims already

bios write protect is usually defaulted to on if its not it can be enabled

this is totally patchable by microsoft at there level via ring0 or kernel patch/fixing the borked driver

a bios update would address all of this

and again if you have administrative access you are already PWN3D everything on the machine is now tainted everything done on the machine is tainted all passwords and logins should be considered compromised

the whole issue is that the bugs in question are presented in such as way as to generate maximum fud/drama and or make amd look bad (which they really don't need any help with)
-
btw intel's ME has been known for a long time to have the same kind of exploites

System Name N/A
Processor Intel Core i5 3570
Motherboard Gigabyte B75
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper TX3
Memory 12 GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Z RTX 2060
Storage SSD
Display(s) Samsung 4K HDR 60 Hz TV
Case Eagle Warrior Gaming
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Coolermaster Elite 460W
Mouse Vorago KM500
Keyboard Vorago KM500
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores N/A
In my humble opinion, you people shouldnt tell TPU staff what news to post or not, they have the right to post whatever they think is relevant, if you dont like it please dont read it, you can always read news somewhere else.
Going back to topic, AMD hasnt confirmed or denied the flaws yet, so this is still relevant.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
No shit, somebody runs something with local admin privilege and my machine is hacked. What was it called? F*ucking common sense?

Just go kill yourself already CTS clowns.
I agree and need say no more though that last bits just not me ,they are clowns though:D

still not good but there's more to come yet imo.

Processor AMD 1700X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Power Supply Silencer MK III 850
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Going back to topic, AMD hasnt confirmed or denied the flaws yet, so this is still relevant.
This. I find it very strange AMD has stayed so quiet in last 72 hours. We still only have the STRANGE blog post about "certain of our processors" that doesn't even have a date.

Tpu is a business and have expenses so I agree that they should post articles that draw traffic to there site.
As long as the story is based on valid information. It leaves us the reader the right to make our own judgements on whatever we read.
If they decide to use resources on such an article, well I'm pretty sure they can monitor there web traffic and I bet can make a decision on putting more effort in updating the article.
So why give them a hard time for posting news thats out there. If it bothers you don't read it.

Now My opinion on CTS releasing the information to public to speed up patches is absurd. Not only does AMD have to make patches, they have to make sure there patches are going to work with tons of different hardware configurations. I'm pretty sure this will take time. Pirates or hackers have one goal and one target and I'm pretty sure software compatibility with the hardware isn't a concern.
Now if ALL these vulnerabilities need admin privileges, well to me there has to be an alternative motive for CTS. And if that is the case lets hope they get spanked with some legal action that sticks.

System Name Red Team Go
Processor AMD RYZEN 5 2600
Motherboard ASUS PRIME B450M-A/CSM AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H55
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000
Video Card(s) PowerColor RED DEVIL Radeon RX 580 8GB
Storage Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB Solid State Drive SH103S3, 2x WD Blue 500GB in RAID 0
Display(s) LG 34" Ultrawide IPS HDMI (34UM61-P)
Case NZXT GAMMA Classic Series
Power Supply OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro
I think its very poor form for moderators to hide only posts that are critical of TPU. That's all I see at the moment. I would think feedback would be welcome on what news is posted here. I mean you are only going to alienate your audience with this "low quality" business. I am new around here. There is nothing toxic I see that isn't on any other online forum. Seriously thought this site was better than this....

Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 6700 10GB SWFT 309
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703 (TTC Gold 60M)
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (Gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Is TPU going to write another editorial about not getting Navi or whatever launches first...

I think its very poor form for moderators to hide only posts that are critical of TPU. That's all I see at the moment. I would think feedback would be welcome on what news is posted here. I mean you are only going to alienate your audience with this "low quality" business. I am new around here. There is nothing toxic I see that isn't on any other online forum. Seriously thought this site was better than this....
It’s a good move to prevent this community from becoming a mirror of AMD subreddit. Just take a good look at Anandtech’s forum where it’s 24/7 AMD circlejerk with no balance of voice.

System Name midnight toker
Processor i7 Skylake QHQF (6700K ES) @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4S
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) Samsung DDR4 @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Geforce Gtx 1080 Ti Gaming OC @ 2080MHz
Storage 128GB SSD, 75GB & 2TB HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU 27" 1440p 144Hz G-SYNC Monitor
Case Cooler Master MB511
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP2000 headphones
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2
Mouse Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3050
Keyboard same
Software Arch Linux, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
And all the "you just flash a BIOS". Motherboards often die when you flash them with official and specifically designed BIOS for the board. And these people make it sound like you can just patch any BIOS easily and make it a persistent threat/backdoor.
^case closed

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
all this crap over cts's credibility was standing BEFORE viceroy chimed in
so yea

and I pretty much covered debucking cts's claims already

bios write protect is usually defaulted to on if its not it can be enabled

this is totally patchable by microsoft at there level via ring0 or kernel patch/fixing the borked driver

a bios update would address all of this

and again if you have administrative access you are already PWN3D everything on the machine is now tainted everything done on the machine is tainted all passwords and logins should be considered compromised

the whole issue is that the bugs in question are presented in such as way as to generate maximum fud/drama and or make amd look bad (which they really don't need any help with)
-
btw intel's ME has been known for a long time to have the same kind of exploites
Great post that sums things up nicely!

I started laughing really hard when I read the exploits, almost fell out of my chair!

yup i spent most of the day writing this addon, it should be useful for many threads. other staff said "just delete those useless posts", i wanted to at least keep them around to not censor

Edit: this is not enabled yet for the main site post view (in case you were looking for those hidden posts)
Let's get the user "Ignore" feature working main site post view too if you start down that road. :)