• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CTS-Labs Releases Masterkey Exploit Proof-of-Concept Video

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
CTS-Labs, the cyber security research firm that claims to have unearthed severe security vulnerabilities with AMD "Zen" CPU architecture, posted its first proof-of-concept demo video. This video deals with the "Masterkey" class of exploits, specifically Masterkey-1. The Masterkey class makes for 3 of the 13 vulnerabilities the firm discovered. As a quick refresher, Masterkey is an exploit of the Secure Boot feature, specifically getting around the feature's system integrity check on AMD "Zen" powered systems, by using a specially programmed system BIOS. Any privileged program (even from within Windows), can flash your system BIOS, and get around Secure Boot in the following system reboot (or even brick your system by writing a non-bootable BIOS image). The BIOS can then tinker with the ring -3 (minus 3) software running on Secure Processor, and survive reboots or OS re-installs. It would also be undetectable by traditional antivirus programs that can't have ring -3 access while running on top of an operating system.

In the video, we're shown a somewhat step-by-step process of infecting a TYAN-made server motherboard with a modified BIOS that has the Masterkey exploit. The demo BIOS by CTS, which has ARM Cortex A5-compatible code for the Secure Processor, makes it flicker its status code between "1337" and "7331" during POST, and go on to boot the OS as if nothing happened. It can be made to do anything once you've reached that far. CTS-Labs claims that it has a more elaborate shell code for Secure Processor that probably does more insidious things, but it won't be showing that to the public in this video. The objective of this demo appears to be to establish a proof-of-concept.

The video follows.

CTS-Labs stated that it's currently filming similar proof-of-concept videos for each of the other exploits.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

My Asus motherboard from 2006 had a windows based software which allowed for the bootscreen to be modified with any *.bmp.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
So riddle me this:
This exploit can override Administrator/Supervisor passwords in the UEFI if set beforehand?
Usually, even from Windows, you need that in order to flash it. This seems that from the get-go, there will be no password, however I'm not finding this hurdle being mentioned as a portential mitigation for the MASTERKEY exploit too.

Paging Dr. Who (or Strange on the other side of the Atlantic) but the embedded video doesn't work in the OP :rolleyes:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
My Asus motherboard from 2006 had a windows based software which allowed for the bootscreen to be modified with any *.bmp.
Your board doesn't have Secure Boot or UEFI, which were invented to ensure the BIOS is not affected in any way

Paging Dr. Who (or Strange on the other side of the Atlantic) but the embedded video doesn't work in the OP :rolleyes:
Use the main site view. As mentioned before, news posts are not stored in the forums anymore. So I included snippets, people complained that text was missing, now the full post is included and things might not be working as expected.

Drop the video string into Youtube search field, it'll find it anyway.

So, to sum video up:

This was done "remotely" within local network.
This required admin access to be available from the get go on the target system.
This requires attacker to know exactly which board is used by the target system.

This is an incredibly targeted attack which makes it pretty much useless unless you're doing just that, a very targeted attack on some servers.

Drop the video string into Youtube search field, it'll find it anyway.

So, to sum video up:

This was done "remotely" within local network.
This required admin access to be available from the get go on the target system.
This requires attacker to know exactly which board is used by the target system.

This is an incredibly targeted attack which makes it pretty much useless unless you're doing just that, a very targeted attack on some servers.
So pretty much an inside job, now I know who to go after. Tbf though most large profile hacks are based on some sort of insider info trading hands or an incredibly poor (network) setup where basic protocols or security best practices aren't followed.

So pretty much an inside job, now I know who to go after. Tbf though most large profile hacks are based on some sort of insider info trading hands or an incredibly poor (network) setup where basic protocols or security best practices aren't followed.

To which you need to know some particular company has such poor practices.

System Name Home PC
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro
Cooling Thermaltake Contac Silent 12
Memory 2x8gb F4-3200C16-8GVKB - 2x16gb F4-3200C16-16GVK
Video Card(s) XFX RX480 GTR
Storage Samsung SSD Evo 120GB -WD SN580 1TB - Toshiba 2TB HDWT720 - 1TB GIGABYTE GP-GSTFS31100TNTD
Display(s) Cooler Master GA271 and AoC 931wx (19in, 1680x1050)
Case Green Magnum Evo
Power Supply Green 650UK Plus
Mouse Green GM602-RGB ( copy of Aula F810 )
Keyboard Old 12 years FOCUS FK-8100
Mainboard is : Link

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
I guess this campaign will continue with at least 12 more videos where someone over a computer with admin rights and every other failsafe disabled, will be demonstrating how he can hack the computer.

System Name Steamy
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350M-Pro4
Cooling Wraith Prism
Memory 2x8GB HX429C15PB3AK2/16
Video Card(s) R9 290X WC
Storage 960Evo 500GB nvme
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Power Supply Seasonic SS-660XP2
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/kinski/ http://valid.x86.fr/qfxqhj https://goo.gl/uWkw7n
So, Windows Server on baremetal with admin access and s*itty security and intimate knowledge of hardware to be targeted.

Yes, this will affect almost a marginal percent of Epyc installations.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I guess this campaign will continue with at least 12 more videos where someone over a computer with admin rights and every other failsafe disabled, will be demonstrating how he can hack the computer.

...and more importantly, survive reinstalls undetected.

That's the crux of it.

Yes, this is more an enterprise targeted scenario than an enduser one, but don't deny it is a problem. That makes you part of what? Certainly not the solution.

Low quality post by damric
System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
Every time TPU posts about CTS, God kills a kitten.

Low quality post by R-T-B
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Every time TPU posts about CTS, God kills a kitten.

And then I ressurect it, creating a zombie kitten.

It's great having an army of the things. Someday I'll train them to deal with shitposters, but for now I just clean the zombie catbox.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
When they release the Asmedia exploit POC demo, will they also identify Intel as a target? Despite the obvious potential for harm from an exploit that requires a prior malware infection, the crux of the furore is still CTS-Labs background.
The continued stream of info from the group, whose short selling interests have been disclosed, is really quite unsettling. Moreso that news sites aren't using disclaimer headings.
Effectively, CTS-Labs current AMD research is aimed at profiting from short selling and as such, sites ought to inform readers of such. It is, without doubt (as they have admitted) financially motivated.

System Name Steamy
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Cooling Wraith Prism
Video Card(s) R9 290X WC
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/kinski/ http://valid.x86.fr/qfxqhj https://goo.gl/uWkw7n
...and more importantly, survive reinstalls undetected.

That's the crux of it.

Yes, this is more an enterprise targeted scenario than an enduser one, but don't deny it is a problem. That makes you part of what? Certainly not the solution.

Im not denying the problem. Im saying that the problem described and the problem presented differ. There is no world-altering public exploit here, at most a spear phishing tool or bad actor exploit.
Correct way to handle this would have been to notify AMD and let them fix it.

Instead they decided to leak some to stock shortseller Viceroy (intentionally or unintentionally, doesnt matter) before publishing amdflaws site. This along with the disclaimer (about financial gains from the exploit publishing/usage) on amdflaws site makes them more likely to face litigation than kudos.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Correct way to handle this would have been to notify AMD and let them fix it.

As far as I am aware, that's what they've done.

No, they didn't do the strictly ethical "I will not mention this until you fix it" thing, but that has little impact on the bug itself. The company has been called iffy by myself since day 1, so the idea their ethics may be a little off kilter isn't exactly news to me.

System Name Steamy
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Cooling Wraith Prism
Video Card(s) R9 290X WC
Software Windows 10 Pro
"Yo, AMD, we'll post some s'it on ya' a$$ tomorrow. LOL.

Here's the $h't. <attached>

Oh, and we'll say that ya'll can't fix it.

ktnxbye"

Processor AMD 1700X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Power Supply Silencer MK III 850
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Effectively, CTS-Labs current AMD research is aimed at profiting from short selling and as such, sites ought to inform readers of such. It is, without doubt (as they have admitted) financially motivated.
It doesn't appear anyone has profited from any short selling of any meaningful volume. AMD stock has been relatively unchanged over the last week at a lower than normal volume. It is definitely possible it was long term financially motivated. It reminds people AMD put recent products together on a shoe string budget and leaves people wondering if these vulnerabilities are real and how many vulnerabilities lay in waiting. Also, "financially motivated" sometimes signals discrediting or minimizing and it shouldn't. Every step a company makes is financially motivated. If you held to that theory AMD marketing would be minimized since it is "financially motivated". I remind everyone 7 days later AMD has only acknowledged these vulnerabilities and hasn't discredited or explained how low risk they are. That is way too long for a professional company to manage PR.

Yeah, right. Assuming AMD could not fix it without talking to them is always the way to go. As far as secure bios, I wonder if this was actually made to prevent deliberate monkeying, or to prevent idiots and distracted IT people from accidentally bricking machine. When you've got that level of access to a system, is there really ANY protection? Maybe this means I can now use an older bios on my wife's Asus-Ryzen system. It wouldn't let me flash an older bios when I wanted to one time. This looks a lot like Spectre-2. Theoretically possible, but ZERO for all practical purposes considering what you have to do to get it to run.

It doesn't appear anyone has profited from any short selling of any meaningful volume. AMD stock has been relatively unchanged over the last week at a lower than normal volume. It is definitely possible it was long term financially motivated. It reminds people AMD put recent products together on a shoe string budget and leaves people wondering if these vulnerabilities are real and how many vulnerabilities lay in waiting. Also, "financially motivated" sometimes signals discrediting or minimizing and it shouldn't. Every step a company makes is financially motivated. If you held to that theory AMD marketing would be minimized since it is "financially motivated". I remind everyone 7 days later AMD has only acknowledged these vulnerabilities and hasn't discredited or explained how low risk they are. That is way too long for a professional company to manage PR.

Just because it didn't work, doesn't mean they didn't try to deep six AMD stock. By your logic, half of crimes committed would not be prosecuted since they got caught. Second, dumping "13" "bugs" on AMD and expecting a complete analysis in a week, and by your questionable comments on AMD shows you're just a shill. Again, by your logic, Intel just does barely what the need to in order to have a faster processor without regard for customers or security. I don't think either case it true. AMD has a smaller budget and Intel sits on design improvements for a while does not make EITHER less security conscious. Both were caught off guard, one by a creative exploit, the other by a greedy, single focused , questionable company.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10

I cannot paraphrase the excellent Anandtech article but I would recommend you read it.

It involves a detailed phone conversation transcript and Anandtech's critique of the knowledge gleamed. It does not deny the exploit but it clearly finds CTS to be 'financially motivated'.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12536/our-interesting-call-with-cts-labs

Because 7 days isn't enough to do any sort of a meaningful validation, given that AMD doesn't own the Asmedia IP nor the ARM cortex A5 one. Not to mention the trickling of information & how CTS is making it look like they're doing this with the best of intentions - without divulging if competing solutions from Intel could also be vulnerable - doesn't make their case strong! And I'm not even going into the other big woolly mammoth in the room, which was left unpatched for 7 months & allowed the competitor to sell billions of desktop & HEDT chips without a disclaimer.

It always amazes me how someone jumps to personal attacks instead of the topic at hand. The point is, that these "exploits" require a great deal of inside knowledge and access to pull off, and CTS has operated in a most shady manner. If you point this out, you are somehow a "fanboy"? The statements made about AMD by CTS were not as much about exploits, but more about their opinions about AMD as a company. Much like your post. Except they may have had something to gain.

System Name Utopia Planitia
Processor AMD FX-8350 (Vishera) (Testing my new build AMD Ryzen 1800X) Will change this after :P
Motherboard MSI 970A-G46
Memory 4x Kingmax 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) 1x MSI Radeon RX 480, 1x XFX Radeon RX 480.
Storage SSD + 2x 2TB Seagate HDDs
Display(s) 3x BenQ GL2460
Case Irrelevant
Audio Device(s) Integrated :P
Power Supply Irrelevant since it works flawlesly
Mouse Irrelevant
Keyboard Irrelevant
Software Windows 10 x64
Now to be honest the question is any hacker is seeing this. Since I asked some "friends" and they say that they will test the proof concepts on Intel's CPUs also just for the fun of it. If these CTS Labs or whatever were smarter to begin with, they would had done it without an admin account. Because I can cripple a server with just a USB port, so having administrative access is not that amazing. Also everything he's doing is loged. A simple reading of any logs will point to the source of this "attack" in any decent... IT organisation.