• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE X470 Aorus Gaming 5 and X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming Pictured

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
GIGABYTE's upcoming flagship socket AM4 motherboard, the X470 Aorus Gaming 7, eclipsed two other models by the company based on the AMD X470 chipset, the X470 Aorus Gaming 5 /WiFi, and the X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, pictured below. The X470 Aorus Gaming 5 has two variants based on the inclusion of a WLAN module. Both boards are based on the same PCB design, but the Gaming 5 is slightly better endowed than the Ultra Gaming. First, the common features. Drawing power from a 24-pin ATX and 8-pin EPS connector, the board features a 11-phase VRM to condition power for the AM4 SoC. A single-phase VRM powers the memory.

Expansion slots include three PCI-Express x16, from which the top two are gen 3.0 and wired to the SoC (x16/NC or x8/x8), while the third slot is gen 2.0 and wired to the X470 chipset. Two gen 2.0 x1 slots make for the rest of the expansion. Storage connectivity includes two M.2 slots, from which the top slot is 32 Gbps, and the bottom one 16 Gbps; and six SATA 6 Gbps ports, from which two come directly from the AM4 SoC. USB connectivity includes eight USB 3.0 ports, and two USB 3.1 ports, from which one is type-C. Gigabit Ethernet powered by Intel i219-V controller, and high-grade onboard audio with Realtek ALC1220 (120 dBA SNR) CODEC, WIMA capacitors, ground-layer isolation, and dual headphones amps, make for the rest of them.

What differentiates the Gaming 5 from the Ultra Gaming, are the following:
  • The Gaming 5 features slightly better VRM cooling in the form of a nickel-plated copper heat pipe connecting the two VRM heatsinks. This helps offload some heat generated from the more high-current CPU phases onto the heatsink cooling lower current phases.
  • The rear I/O shroud runs the entire length of the board on the Gaming 5
  • The Gaming 5 features steel reinforcement for both the top two PCI-Express 3.0 x16 and the four DDR4 DIMM slots, while the Ultra Gaming lacks reinforcement for the DIMM slots.
  • The Gaming 5 features LED lighting elements on even the I/O shroud, and the top two PCI-Express 3.0 x16 slots, while the Ultra Gaming lacks it.
The X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, X470 Aorus Gaming 5, and the X470 Gaming 5 WiFi could occupy three distinct sub-$220 price points.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

D

Deleted member 172152

Ultra gaming seems like great value! Better VRM cooling? Won't be necessary.

Wifi? I have ethernet ports.

Reinforced dimm slots? Useful, but my pc rarely gets moved and always stays in the study!

Lights? Don't care if they're not on the front of the case or on my desk.

Hopefully it'll cost €150 or so!

D

Deleted member 172152

Hopefully, they didn't used too strong and expensive power delivery circuits, as it will be wasted by low Ryzen OC ability
Exactly why vrm cooling upgrades don't matter. Unless you want the extra features, the budget mid-range ultra gaming seems to be just about the best motherboard deal in ages (from gigabyte at least)! Dual amp is actually more useful than you may think and it now finally is on a lower end mobo!

System Name Pops pc
Processor Amd Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black, Premium Dual-Tower
Memory G.SKILL FlareX 32gb 3200
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE AORUS Radeon RX 6600 8GB
Storage SAMSUNG 980 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe, Black 2TB, WD Red 6TB, WD Gold 10 TB, 2x Seagate 2TB, Seagate 4TBext
Display(s) ASUS 31.5" Full HD (1920x1080) Led-Lit Monitor (VA VA325H)
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F-51 Window
Audio Device(s) Xfi Titanium pushing Logitech Z-906's's
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ, 80+ GOLD 650W
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Azio Large Print Backlit
Software Win 10 64
I think I'll be going with the Ultra as well. Already ordered my 2700.
Last year's gear will be going down to my son...