• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel's Mobileye Secures a Future-Focused Deal for 8 Million Self-Driving Systems in 2021

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Intel's Mobileye, the AI and self-driving feature the blue giant acquired last year for a cool $15.3 billion, has just announced, via an exclusive report to Reuters, that they've secured a contract to provide some 8 million self-driving systems to an European automaker. The deal is a future-focused one, and will see, by 2021, distribution for Intel's EyeQ5 chip, which is designed for fully autonomous driving - an upgrade to the EyeQ4 that will be rolled out in the coming weeks, Reuters reports, according to senior vice president for advanced development and strategy at Mobileye Erez Dagan.

Amnon Shashua, Mobileye's chief executive, said that "By the end of 2019, we expect over 100,000 Level 3 cars [where the car is self-driving but still allows for user intervention should the system be unable to progress for more than 10 seconds] with Mobileye installed." This deal is sure to make Intel even more of a player in the automotive space, where NVIDIA and a number of other high-profile companies have been making strides in recent years.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor i7 4790k / ryzen 1700
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Extreme / gigabyte b350 mini itx
Cooling Corsair H70 / cooler master master liquid
Memory 32gb DDR3 / 32gb ddr4
Video Card(s) Gtx 1080 / gtx 1080
Storage 128gb Samsung 850 Pro, 2tb hdd / 500gb 850 evo
Case Thermaltake Chaser Mk-1 / Silverstone m13b
Power Supply 1000W OCZ Gold Full Modular / seasonic focus 850w
Mouse Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Am I the only one who doesn't want self-driving cars?

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Am I the only one who doesn't want self-driving cars?
I believe you are in the majority. I guess I wouldn't mind the option to have it, but I like to drive.

Processor i7 4790k / ryzen 1700
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Extreme / gigabyte b350 mini itx
Cooling Corsair H70 / cooler master master liquid
Memory 32gb DDR3 / 32gb ddr4
Video Card(s) Gtx 1080 / gtx 1080
Storage 128gb Samsung 850 Pro, 2tb hdd / 500gb 850 evo
Case Thermaltake Chaser Mk-1 / Silverstone m13b
Power Supply 1000W OCZ Gold Full Modular / seasonic focus 850w
Mouse Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
I believe you are in the majority. I guess I wouldn't mind the option to have it, but I like to drive.
I love driving and all the people that say things like how you play video games while you're driving it's not going to work on that at all because you're still going to be responsible for one of the car does or does not do while you're driving, or should I say not driving? I don't even know how insurance will work. If I'm not driving and it hits someone I sure as heck will not pay for damages, as it wasn't me driving. Not to mention there's nobody to hold accountable when something bad happens. If a car got dumb and ran someone over, who goes to jail? The person who programmed it? The person not driving? If you must be held responsible for it, then you can't really relax and not pay attention. It becomes sitting in the passenger seat and being responsible for the driver seat too. The whole argument about doing other stuff wouldn't work not to mention it, at least where I live, is illegal to do things like watch TV or use your phone while driving. In Washington state they'll charge you a DUI or some BS for using your phone even at a red light, which while I'm against that, self driving cars wouldn't fix the consequences of enjoying them.

System Name Storm Wrought | Blackwood (HTPC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x @stock | i7 2600k
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WIFI m-ITX | Some POS gigabyte board
Cooling Deepcool AK620, BQ shadow wings 3 High Spd, stock 180mm |BQ Shadow rock LP + 4x120mm Noctua redux
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x32GB 4000MHz | 2x4GB 2000MHz @1866
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6800XT Red Dragon | PNY a2000 6GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 1TB, 1TB KC3000, 850EVO 500GB, 2+8TB Seagate, LG Blu-ray | 120GB Sandisk SSD, 4TB WD red
Display(s) Samsung UJ590UDE 32" UHD monitor | LG CS 55" OLED
Case Silverstone TJ08B-E | Custom built wooden case (Aus native timbers)
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Sennheiser HD 599 cans / Logitech z163's | Edifier S2000 MKIII via toslink
Power Supply Corsair HX 750 | Corsair SF 450
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse| Some logitech one
Keyboard GMMK w/ Zelio V2 62g (78g for spacebar) tactile switches & Glorious black keycaps| Some logitech one
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Edu | Ubuntu 22.04
Benchmark Scores Look in the various benchmark threads
I love driving and all the people that say things like how you play video games while you're driving it's not going to work on that at all because you're still going to be responsible for one of the car does or does not do while you're driving, or should I say not driving? I don't even know how insurance will work. If I'm not driving and it hits someone I sure as heck will not pay for damages, as it wasn't me driving. Not to mention there's nobody to hold accountable when something bad happens. If a car got dumb and ran someone over, who goes to jail? The person who programmed it? The person not driving? If you must be held responsible for it, then you can't really relax and not pay attention. It becomes sitting in the passenger seat and being responsible for the driver seat too. The whole argument about doing other stuff wouldn't work not to mention it, at least where I live, is illegal to do things like watch TV or use your phone while driving. In Washington state they'll charge you a DUI or some BS for using your phone even at a red light, which while I'm against that, self driving cars wouldn't fix the consequences of enjoying them.
Well one thing that will have to happen is that there will have to be new laws around self driving cars and things like drink driving, texting etc. In a level 5 Autonomous Vehicle (AV), there should be no reason why you can't be completely drunk or even just about passed out in the car because it is fully autonomous and is able to get from A to B without input, but a lower level AV you should still have to follow the existing rules for drinking etc.

As for the responsibility for a collision or death involving an AV is where things will get interesting, it will be very dependant on which vehicle is at fault in the incident and what the AV does, as the fault may well lie with the maker of the car if the car failed to recognise the cause of the crash. There is also talk of an altruism dial in the car, where you can decide how the car acts, where it tries to save you or save others in this scenario, which is certainly the most reasonable approach I can see to this dilemma for level 5 AV's certainly.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
It will take time but an establishing driving statistics will be key in how much autonomous vehicles are trusted.

If the autonomous vehicles have a better driving record then typical human drivers then the human side of the equation becomes more of a liability. Also note that hit and runs should be zero with autonomous vehicles provide that they have proper collision detection. Whereas human drivers, likely committing additional crimes beyond the accident, tend to run to avoid prosecution.

I suspect that autonomous vehicles will still require that the operator / owner still have a license and insurance is an industry that simply isn't going away.

I don't have a pilot license but I have a brother that does and was in the air-force. According to him, one of the requirements to getting the pilot license was to be able to correct an out of control tale-spin. My point is that even if it seems unnecessary, for the sake of being capable in a dire situation sometimes the requirements make sense even if the don't seem to at first glance.

Generally speaking though, autonomous vehicles should probably require an occupant to take control if necessary. That means some level of alertness,.....

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
It wouldn't take much for Autonomous Vehicles to be a lot safer than human drivers, as most drivers haven't got a clue and don't pay attention to their environment.
AV's should come with a full manual control option, that locks out drivers unless they attain a certain level of skill, "altruism" switches should be mandatory, although I doubt anyone would want to die instead of a stranger.
If some idiot decides to jay walk across a highway and expects me to die, forget it.
I enjoy driving too much to allow a vehicle dictate to me what is going to happen.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Insurance companies are bracing for the future when number of accidents will drop significantly, if that tells you something.
I don't "like driving", especially very long distances, would instead happily watch a movie or two.
Or even sleep in a driving car and get started at night on a 1000km+ trips.

But that only after tech matures, including addressing driving meatbags.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember