• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

343 Industries Announces Halo Infinite, (Eventually) Coming to XBOX and Windows 10 PCs

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
343 Industries and Microsoft, at its E3 press conference, opened up hostilities with a reveal trailer for the next installment in the Halo series. Presented as Halo Infinite, the new Halo game will mark the first time a mainline Halo experience is launched in both the XBOX platform and Windows PCs, and thus marks a new era, with even greater market penetration, for the critic and user-acclaimed series.

The reveal trailer is more of a technical showcase rather than a full-blown reveal trailer for the game; the idea was to showcase the new Slipspace Engine. This new engine marks the second one to have ever been used in the mainline Halo series (not counting the Saber engine used in the Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary by Saber Interactive, or the engines used for Halo Wars). The Halo series has been using virtually the same game engine since the series' inception with Halo: Combat Evolved back in 2001 (heavily modified each year, of course). The new Slipspace Engine is a chance to build new tools which will apparently lead to an open-world setting - that's what some publications are expecting. Honestly, I would expect something more akin to hub locations in a galaxy-spanning conflict, in an approach similar to Destiny and Destiny 2, with quasi-open world settings at each one. Side-quests are likely to be introduced, likely in a way similar to what Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare delivered (but hoepfully beatter and more meaningful in their introduction). For now, this is all speculation, though, so take it with a bucketload of salt.

It's no secret (at least I don't try to make it so) that I'm a fan of the Halo series, which is one of the more deep, complex gaming sci-fi worlds out there, with copious amounts of extended fiction ever carving a deeper lore well. The new Halo Infinite game will pick up after Halo 5: Guardians left off (speculation places Halo Infinite's events as taking place two years after Halo 5: Guardians), and should leave behind the enormous cast of characters that game introduced in favor a Master Chief-centric approach - which has both good and bad points.

All in all, it seems the game will be launched by the end of 2019, at best - 343 industries is still in the process of aggressively hiring, and most work from the studio in the past few years ever since Halo 5: Guardians' launch has been on the Slipspace Engine and laying the foundations for Halo Infinite's systems, locations, and story thread. With the new engine comes a revised art direction, still under 343's amazing Nicolas Bouvier (Sparth) direction, but with a change from the realistic sci-fi approach to materials and graphics (as in Halo 4 and Halo 5: Guardians) in favor of more streamlined, Halo: Combat Evolved-like assets. It remains to be seen whether this is what the series needs, but fans of the originals will likely be pleased.

Here's hoping for a much more expansive walk through the Halo universe can be achieved with the new engine, instead of the usual three years of waiting in-between 8 hours-long adrenaline, sci-fi injections. One thing that would do the Halo universe justice is increased staying power of its experiences - though it will likely be hard to srike the perfect balance of a more permanent experience while maintaining the series' story-first approach. I would actually expect the Slipspace Engine and Halo Infinite to deliver the Halo universe in sinstallments all within the games' interface, with new chapters of the story (new campaigns) being delivered according to a yearly or so schedule - infinitely advancing the Halo universe's storyline from one base single and multiplayer experience.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

The reveal to me looked like a Halo battle royale-type game. I hope I'm wrong. I absolutely love the Halo campaigns and lore. I've even played long RP tabletop Halo campaigns. But if it is just a royale game, it'll be a skip it for me. I cannot believe they don't/didn't have a more traditional Halo game in the works, especially after Halo 5 was kind of a flop (and Halo: Master Chief Collection was an absolute disaster). Halo 5 was ok, but it was miles from the better Halo games.

I also see the leadership on the Xbox team at Microsoft continues to put almost every release on PC too, making owning an Xbox pretty much irrelevant and unnecessary. A brilliant business model. That's why third-party game devs aren't tripping over each other to develop for the XB1, and that's why Microsoft didn't have much other than cross-platform releases to show at E3...while Sony rolls out major exclusive after exclusive.

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X [3.7GHz/4.6GHz][6C/12T]
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO [X570]
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB [DDR4 3600][2x16GB][16-19-19-39@1.35V]
Video Card(s) ASUS KO GeForce RTX 3060 Ti V2 OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 [511.65]
Storage [OS] Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | [Storage] 980 1TB | 860 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850 [27"][2560x1440@144Hz][Nano IPS][LED][G-SYNC Compatible][DP]
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC S1200A High Definition Audio CODEC
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+ [+12V: 83.3A 999.6W][80 Plus Gold]
Mouse Logitech M570 Trackball
Keyboard Corsair Gaming K55 RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro [21H1][64-bit]
Was kind of a hoping they would bring the MCC to the PC after they killed that Mod, sadly it may eventually come, but using that streaming service they are working on.

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
The reveal to me looked like a Halo battle royale-type game. I hope I'm wrong. I absolutely love the Halo campaigns and lore. I've even played long RP tabletop Halo campaigns. But if it is just a royale game, it'll be a skip it for me. I cannot believe they don't/didn't have a more traditional Halo game in the works, especially after Halo 5 was kind of a flop (and Halo: Master Chief Collection was an absolute disaster). Halo 5 was ok, but it was miles from the better Halo games.

I also see the leadership on the Xbox team at Microsoft continues to put almost every release on PC too, making owning an Xbox pretty much irrelevant and unnecessary. A brilliant business model. That's why third-party game devs aren't tripping over each other to develop for the XB1, and that's why Microsoft didn't have much other than cross-platform releases to show at E3...while Sony rolls out major exclusive after exclusive.

I didn't get that vibe, but I can see where it would surface in the trailer. 343 can't do that, simply because that wouldn't be a Halo Game. There will be a Battle Royale multiplayer mode, though - that's guaranteed. Halo 5: Guardians' Warzone mode is one such approach, and I expect 343 to expand on that until it reaches that battle royale nomenclature.

However, Halo games are single-player experiences with multiplayer attached, and not the other way around. Halo 5: Guardians' campaign suffered from internal strife within the studio and last-minute decisions on the plot, from what's been running around the secret channels since then; luckily, with Bryan Reed's absence, Halo can again grow. Halo 5 wasn't bad, but it wasn't the series' best, agreed. Agreed on the fact that the reasons for having an XBOX decline with each exclusive that is made available on PC as well. Still, I'll get me an XBOX one X anyway, because I can have the games on both platforms, And a 4K blu-ray player.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Here is hoping it is better than that abortion they called Halo 5. Jesus that game was bad.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm already running away in the other direction as fast as I can. That was the saddest Spartan I've ever seen.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Microsoft Store only i guess.

In that case i wait for the CODEX Edition.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Asus M4A78LT-M
Cooling Ice Hammer IH-4***
Memory 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair
Video Card(s) Asus HD7870 2GB
Storage 500GB SATAII Samsung | 500GB SATAII Seagate
Display(s) 23" LG 23EA63V-P
Case Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) VIA VT1708S
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Software Windows 10 x64
I didn't get that vibe, but I can see where it would surface in the trailer. 343 can't do that, simply because that wouldn't be a Halo Game.
Bethesda wouldn't make a battle royale Fallout, simply because that wouldn't be a Fallout game. :roll:

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
"Presented as Halo Infinite, the new Halo game will mark the first time a mainline Halo experience is launched in both the XBOX platform and Windows PCs"

And because of such, this will be the first time I will have played a Halo Title... provided it gets decent reviews.