• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TechPowerUp Processor Survey Results: The Ryzen Effect is Real

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Main point of this survey was to find and point out the change in the cpu market and it surely did so. And all level-minded customers are happy that Intel has again competition in all fronts. And the future is bright for CPU market with 7nm coming probably in the 1H/2019.
I'm not sure this poll proves anything, we're a small and particular segment of those that buy CPUs.
Competition, yeah, as welcome as ever.

I'm not sure this poll proves anything, we're a small and particular segment of those that buy CPUs.
Competition, yeah, as welcome as ever.
It certainly proves that people are willing to give AMD a chance even when Intel leads in absolute clocks & IPC. When was the last time people recommended an FX over core, except as a bargain basement last ditch alternative?

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
It certainly proves that people are willing to give AMD a chance even when Intel leads in absolute clocks & IPC. When was the last time people recommended an FX over core, except as a bargain basement last ditch alternative?
Fair enough. I didn't realize willingness to recommend a good product was ever questioned.

Slight error in the first sentance:
Late May 2017, TechPowerUp started a front-page poll asking people which processor they use. 37 days and 16,140 responses later...

Should be 2018.

I sell hardware b2b in Europe and we ship like 85/15 which is in line with Steam HW Survey

Steam Survey isnt real at the moment as the PUBG crowd is dominant and this game favors Intel CPUs.
To which kind of businesses you sell? Retailers or companies? If the latter then thats also not the complete picture.
Companies buy office hardware which is still in the most cases Intel. Just because there is a wider range of options and they dont trust Ryzen yet.
Its normal that adoption takes longer in the IT departments of bigger companies.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
What's actually surprising is that TPU users where renowned for their hatred towards AMD. Just the mere fact that some would be wiling to lie in this survey is incredibility telling as to how much things have changed.

We were renowned? Not sure I can see that sentiment, all I see is enthusiasts hunting down top performance

Stop fooling yourself

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
What's actually surprising is that TPU users where renowned for their hatred towards AMD. Just the mere fact that some would be wiling to lie in this survey is incredibility telling as to how much things have changed.

Have to disagree with that absolute bullshit statement.

1- Quantify what % of TPU users are not AMD users and then,
2 - Of that subset, quantify what % are vehemently anti -AMD.
From that, then define, 'hatred'.

Stupid statement is stupid, frankly. :shadedshu:

As for other points in the thread about being enthusiasts - I totally agree. I knew moving to AMD with a new CPU and mobo would have some teething issues (I read the reviews) but I wanted a challenge. I know a fast 4 core intel is better than my chip for 90% of games but I don't care. I game at 60Hz and I use a 1080ti. I wanted to try an AMD chip and guess what - it's a damn fine piece of silicon. OK, it's not as fast and my FPS won't be as high but it's higher than my refresh rate and it was fun building the system.

Intel still wins for gaming scenarios but sometimes it's nice to experiment with a new thing and the Zen architecture is the best thing AMD have created for a long time. Enthusiasts don't necessarily buy the fastest, they buy what challenges, or what takes their fancy.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
We were renowned?

Been browsing TPU since way before I signed up , the trend was quite obvious. And it's still observable though thankfully it falls within a samll subset of fanboys and trolls nowadays.

I know my statement annoys the hell out of most on here but please understand it's not directed towards everyone and not with regards to the current state of affairs.

Have to disagree with that absolute bullshit statement.

1- Quantify what % of TPU users are not AMD users and then,
2 - Of that subset, quantify what % are vehemently anti -AMD.
From that, then define, 'hatred'.

Well I have to disagree with the way you classify users.

I own a Nvidia GPU yet I have been simultaneously called out for hating Nvidia and being an AMD fanboy. Your rather primitive way to classify people would have failed on me. :)

Last edited:
Nobody is waiting with pitchforks in every AMD CPU thread. All is well.

Bit of a stretch to say nobody. AMD's CPU division gets less flak now than it used to, however I invite you to read through some comments on articles pertaining to Vega. There's some unmitigated vitriol unleashed in those.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
I wouldn't say any of us have ever hated AMD, some of us get tired of the knee-jerk "more cores for same or cheaper price is always better" mindset. Most of us know enough to buy for what our actual needs are, not bragging rights or brand loyalty. You can love your AMD system, and I can love my Intel system, without anyone being wrong, or stupid, or a sheeple, or a fanboy. I feel that when Ryzen came out and enjoyed some success, AMD fans said very hateful things about Intel users, and the backlash from that may have seemed anti-AMD, when it was really "anti-AMD rabid fanboy mindset", if you appreciate the distinction. What were the survey respondents lying about? I don't understand what you mean.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Been browsing TPU since way before I signed up , the trend was quite obvious. And it's still observable though thankfully it falls within a samll subset of fanboys and trolls nowadays.

I know my statement annoys the hell out of most on here but please understand it's not directed towards everyone and not with regards to the current state of affairs.

Well I have to disagree with the way you classify users.

I own a Nvidia GPU yet I have been simultaneously called out for hating Nvidia and being an AMD fanboy. Your rather primitive way to classify people would have failed on me. :)

Lol.

Primitive? It's factual. If you hate (rather, a person) hated AMD you wouldn't own their hardware. From that, you then see who hates them. But you need to define hate.
What I am saying is, it's very hard to define a forum of haters without figuring the above out. Not primitive at all.

Care to share those "real market" numbers you are holding on to?
Actually, that's a fairly simple answer. TPU, while excellent, isn't the largest tech site in the world. Additionally, of those who saw the poll, how many actually voted? And what about the people who have more than one system and are using different CPU's in each? Or what about the people who don't have any of the CPU's listed?

The poll seemed to only be meant to give a general idea of Ryzen market penetration among TPU users. It was not meant to be definitive, because if it was it would be a deeply flawed poll. TPU is smarter than that.

What's actually surprising is that TPU users where renowned for their hatred towards AMD.
Rubbish. There are those who are in each extreme here on TPU, but most users are generally objective minded and look at things realistically.
Just the mere fact that some would be wiling to lie in this survey is incredibility telling as to how much things have changed.
Citation please? Prove people are lying.
Hating on company X or Y is just idiotic. So is seeing a company as a saint/devil, but that's another story.
Couldn't agree more.

Well, threadripper 2 is gonna kick their blue a$$!!
They're doing that now. AMD is currently giving Intel humble-pie very handily. And THIS IS GOOD FOR EVERYONE!

Competition always drives innovation and creative thinking in a given marketplace. Intel will not just cower in a corner. They will come back with something that will answer AMD's new hotness. And the cycle will continue. We all will benefit.

Last edited:
Bit of a stretch to say nobody. AMD's CPU division gets less flak now than it used to, however I invite you to read through some comments on articles pertaining to Vega. There's some unmitigated vitriol unleashed in those.

Are you telling me that comments to a 16 month-late, severly overpriced product are negative?
Shocking

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Primitive? It's factual. If you hate (rather, a person) hated AMD you wouldn't own their hardware.

I am sure if you were to give it just a little bit of thought you would see how limited , unreliable and yes , primitive your idea is.

Your thought process goes like this :

Own something from X ? If yes then you can't hate X , if no then there is chance you do. Not only that such a logic is as basic as it can get , than in it self isn't a problem , it's just that it simply isn't true all the time. You can definitely dislike something even if you use/own said thing.

Out of curiosity after reading many of my comments on this site, how do you categorize me based on this algorithm of yours ?

Citation please? Prove people are lying.

I don't have to prove anything because I didn't said people were , in fact, lying , read carefully what I wrote. People consider this survey to be irrelevant/inaccurate, my observation was that even if people would have lied , the result as it is would still be telling.

Last edited:
Are you telling me that comments to a 16 month-late, severly overpriced product are negative?
Shocking

16 months late? That suggests the original launch date to have been just after Christmas 2015, barely 6 months after the launch of the Fury X.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
I am sure if you were to give it just a little bit of thought you would see how limited , unreliable and yes , primitive your idea is.

Your thought process goes like this :

Own something from X ? If yes then you can't hate X , if no then there is chance you do. Not only that such a logic is as basic as it can get , than in it self isn't a problem , it's just that it simply isn't true all the time. You can definitely dislike something even if you use/own said thing.

Why would someone choose to own something they hate? That is not logical. I know it may happen but it is not logical. If you hate it, sell it and buy what you don't hate. Oh, and don't begin to equate hate with dislike, which is what you are now doing. I agree that you may own something and dislike it. But dislike is far less serious than hate. Hate is raw, hate is 100%. Dislike is a shade of grey.

Out of curiosity after reading many of my comments on this site, how do you categorize me based on this algorithm of yours ?

I don't categorise you. I wouldn't waste my time doing so. You're a voice on a forum.

I don't have to prove anything because I didn't said people were , in fact, lying , read carefully what I wrote. People consider this survey to be irrelevant/inaccurate, my observation was that even if people would have lied , the result as it is would still be telling.
Let's review;
Just the mere fact that some would be wiling to lie in this survey is incredibility telling as to how much things have changed.
Yup, that's what you said, thus my request for citation. If you can't prove it, don't make the accusation.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I know it may happen but it is not logical.

If it happens there is a rational and well defined reason as to why that happened , you can say this stuff happens randomly with no causality.

I wouldn't waste my time doing so. You're a voice on a forum.

Well , one would say we're already wasting our time anyway on here , why not go the extra mile. :laugh:

Oh, and don't begin to equate hate with dislike, which is what you are now doing. I agree that you may own something and dislike it. But dislike is far less serious than hate. Hate is raw, hate is 100%. Dislike is a shade of grey.

OK , I'll give you that maybe hate wasn't the right word.

Yup, that's what you said, thus my request for citation. If you can't prove it, don't make the accusation.

1.png

Dude , let it go, seriously. I made no accusation.

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
Competition is always good for any industry, that being said I am very happy with both 1700 and the 2700x... Intel would have to come out with something VERY special and price competitive for me to even think about switching.
Well done, AMD!

System Name Budget AMD System
Processor Threadripper 1900X @ 4.1Ghz (100x41 @ 1.3250V)
Motherboard Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7
Cooling EKWB X399 Monoblock
Memory 4x8GB GSkill TridentZ RGB 14-14-14-32 CR1 @ 3266
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX Vega₆⁴ Liquid @ 1,800Mhz Core, 1025Mhz HBM2
Storage 1x ADATA SX8200 NVMe, 1x Segate 2.5" FireCuda 2TB SATA, 1x 500GB HGST SATA
Display(s) Vizio 22" 1080p 60hz TV (Samsung Panel)
Case Corsair 570X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X Series 850W KM3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Not to be a buzzkill on the poll...

But some of us still use Vishera/Bulldozer based CPUs from AMD. Would have been nice to include that in the poll. :)

As for my future plans.. Threadripper 2 later this year.... Barring any premature failures on my current rig. Budgeting $1500 for it. (CPU/RAM/Mainboard)

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
When I will retire my 4790K (years, I guess...), it will definitely AMD as my choice.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I personally don't care at all about the hardware brand/vendor. For a new build or upgrade, I always pick the one that it is the best performer for a relatively decent price. It's very simple. I buy the better CPU, GPU, SSD and RAM in the same price range as competitor; and in the end all those minor performance advantages, when summed up, will make me the best system I can build without breaking the bank. So yes, I ALWAYS welcome good and strong competion between vendors and brands.
Hating or favorizing one over the other it's not just retarded, but overly dumb and stupid.

Dude , let it go, seriously. I made no accusation.
No, I'm not letting this go. You, with the vocabulary chosen, directly implied that people participating in the poll "would" be less than honest about their vote. While I concede it is possible, how probable can it be? What would there be to gain from such a manipulation?

Thus again we arrive at the question; What evidence do you have to suggest that anyone on TPU "would" be dishonest about an answer to a poll? You can't throw out a statement that serious about your fellow community members without being willing to justify same or getting a bit a flack for saying it.

D3M1G0D

System Name Demigod-TR
Processor AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
Motherboard MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling EK MSI X399 RGB Monoblock
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz (CL14)
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe SSD, Samsung 950 EVO 1TB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2417DG 23.8-inch G-SYNC monitor (1440p/144hz)
Case Thermaltake Core P3
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 (80 Plus Gold)
Mouse G.SKILL RIPJAWS MX780
Keyboard G.SKILL RIPJAWS MX780
Software Windows 10 Pro
This is no surprise. Enthusiasts have been wanting more computing power for a long time. Ryzen 7 delivered the first affordable octa-core processor for the consumer market (and Ryzen 5 a very affordable hexa-core processor for the masses) so consumers naturally flocked to it. For those enthusiasts and gamers who want to do more than just play games (for me, that would be grid computing), the Ryzen 5/7 is hard to pass up. The second-gen Zen+ also seems to be a solid improvement, helping close the gap with Intel's best, but I think the real deal will be the 7nm Zen 2 (Intel had better hope they get their 10nm stuff figured out by then).

I also find it amusing how AMD is eating Intel's lunch with Threadripper. Intel created the HEDT market to pad their coffers but it's AMD who now has the most compelling platform for it, especially with 24/32-core TR 2 arriving soon. Intel made fun of AMD's "glue" approach but it is now reaping major dividends for AMD (Intel may have to soon consider using their own glue to compete, as even their largest Xeon chip can only accommodate up to 28 cores).

All in all, it's a glorious time to be an enthusiast. It's nice to see competition back in the CPU market, and all of us benefit from it. Now if only AMD can raise their game in the GPU market then things would be perfect. Here's hoping.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
This is no surprise. Enthusiasts have been wanting more computing power for a long time. Ryzen 7 delivered the first affordable octa-core processor for the consumer market (and Ryzen 5 a very affordable hexa-core processor for the masses) so consumers naturally flocked to it. For those enthusiasts and gamers who want to do more than just play games (for me, that would be grid computing), the Ryzen 5/7 is hard to pass up. The second-gen Zen+ also seems to be a solid improvement, helping close the gap with Intel's best, but I think the real deal will be the 7nm Zen 2 (Intel had better hope they get their 10nm stuff figured out by then).

I also find it amusing how AMD is eating Intel's lunch with Threadripper. Intel created the HEDT market to pad their coffers but it's AMD who now has the most compelling platform for it, especially with 24/32-core TR 2 arriving soon. Intel made fun of AMD's "glue" approach but it is now reaping major dividends for AMD (Intel may have to soon consider using their own glue to compete, as even their largest Xeon chip can only accommodate up to 28 cores).

All in all, it's a glorious time to be an enthusiast. It's nice to see competition back in the CPU market, and all of us benefit from it. Now if only AMD can raise their game in the GPU market then things would be perfect. Here's hoping.
It's good to see more people doing more than playing games, and using the extra cores. The rise in Ryzen 5, 7 and TR popularity means that more people are doing productive work and content creation. Intel is running out of time to find their answer. The holiday season in 2018 should be memorable,