• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Only Thing You Get with Mining Ethereum Now is Room Heating

After reading this thread, it's really sad to see how close minded some people are to the tech behind crypto.

Probably won't be reading this forum any longer as it seems to have deteriorated to nothing but name calling and ignorant responses.

Have a great life TPU.

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
After reading this thread, it's really sad to see how close minded some people are to the tech behind crypto.

Probably won't be reading this forum any longer as it seems to have deteriorated to nothing but name calling and ignorant responses.

Have a great life TPU.
if you only came here for the crypto discussion and nothing else, let me help you to the door, otherwise look around the forums a bit more, all discussion threads are not created equal.

I didn't I've read every single thread here since 2013, whether I understood the tech or not, and 75% of the thread result in name calling and people measuring their epeens.

I'll gladly walk out the door, no need to show me.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
55 messages.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I personally am glad that coin mining went bust, never trusted it from the beginning. By the way @cdawall has gpus for sale and he knows what he is doing with regards to all of this.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
By the way @cdawall has gpus for sale and he knows what he is doing with regards to all of this.

I noticed that, and he was the one who really brought mining to light in the first place here on the forums, at least during the 2017 Ethereum boom.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
I myself have never understood the concept of these crypto currencies. Without a regulation body, a government for instance, there's no way to say that it's going to be worth the same thing from one day to the next. Any economic expert who has studied economics will tell you that you need a regulatory body to control the value of a currency or there's going to be nothing but chaos which is exactly what happened. One day the coin was worth X amount, the next X plus Y or X minus Y. You never could tell but an economy needs that kind of stability and you can't have that kind of stability unless you have a regulatory body backing that currency up.

hat

Enthusiast
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Benchmark Scores >9000
That's kinda what the whole point (was) about crypto. It was made specifically because it wasn't a regulated currency, which is good in some ways, bad in others. Then people basically treated it like the stock market.

I do wonder how many times the 10k BTC pizza guy has smashed his head into a brick wall at the speed of light, though.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
None, because that's all it was worth at the time. He had no way of knowing it would ever be worth more.

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
Sometimes I regret not getting serious about mining back in 2013. If I mined then and held, I'd have a sizeable stash now...

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
55 messages.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I personally am glad that coin mining went bust, never trusted it from the beginning. By the way @cdawall has gpus for sale and he knows what he is doing with regards to all of this.

Well, on an individual level, I hold nothing against anyone who hustles and makes a good living for themselves. I just don't care for the larger implications and all of the silly talk about taking over the world or something.

It was definitely disruptive for me when looking for a GPU as well, but those are the breaks. There's no way to rectify that easily, and I just have to deal with the trends going on in the GPU market. I'm not going to resent other buyers for it.. no more than I'd resent someone who was in line at 7-11 before I was.

Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
That's kinda what the whole point (was) about crypto. It was made specifically because it wasn't a regulated currency, which is good in some ways, bad in others.
The bad thing is that without those regulations then there's no control to say that oh... X amount of coins means that you will get Y amount of goods and/or services. This is set by a regulating body, ie. government. If I can't take these so-called coins to a neighborhood store, gas station, bar, or supermarket then what the hell is the point? Remember that phrase on a US Dollar "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private."? That's because the government says that a place of business needs to take said currency for goods and/or services rendered. There is no such guarantee for these so-called coins.

Really, the only people who won out with all of these crypto coins are the GPU makers. They made the cash, the real cash... meanwhile all you were doing is "mining" what amounts to monopoly money.

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
And here we have a perfect example of the mindset of "crypto haters." :rolleyes:

I'd still agree with them, but say more power to you (the individual miner) anyhow. You can make some cash and if you're smart, get out at the right time. Sitting on it is dumb though.. and thinking any currency has any worth outside the power that national/international bodies hold is even more dumb. At the end of the day, the guy with the only real money of worth is the one who crushes you. Not someone with a "better idea". In an idealistic world, that would be true.. but it isn't an idealistic world.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
And here we have a perfect example of the mindset of "crypto haters."
Again, I keep coming back to one simple question... Who the hell says that the coin is going to be worth this or that amount in terms of goods and/or services rendered? Nobody!!! There's no such thing with these so-called coins; no backing, no authority, no proof of validity, no proof of worth, no proof of anything that is even remotely required for a currency to function in a working market. You need that kind of stuff to make for a currency to function and for any kind of stability for that currency. This is basic economic fact here, ECON-1010 kind of stuff here.

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Again, I keep coming back to one simple question... Who the hell says that the coin is going to be worth this or that amount in terms of goods and/or services rendered? Nobody!!! There's no such thing with these so-called coins; no backing, no authority, no proof of validity, no proof of worth, no proof of anything that is even remotely required for a currency to function in a working market. You need that kind of stuff to make for a currency to function and for any kind of stability for that currency. This is basic economic fact here, ECON-1010 kind of stuff here.

You've apparently never taken ECON 101...

If you had, you'd know that currency's power comes from market acceptance, not mandate by governmental authority. If you think "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private" actually means anything, go to Venezuela and try to spend a bolivar.... The whole point of crypto is that the PEOPLE who use it would regulate the value of it by market forces, instead of a government manipulating it to maintain power and wealth like state backed currencies. Whether you like the idea of decentralization or not has no bearing on the effectiveness of crypto as a currency. Currency is simply a surrogate item to make trade easier. The thing keeping crypto from being worth anything is lack of market acceptance, not lack of backing. The US dollar also has no physical backing. And the US dollar also has FAR less proof of validity than a bitcoin. So... I'll quote you again...

I myself have never understood the concept of these crypto currencies.

You don't understand, and yet you continue to have a marked opinion on the subject. I'm not saying you're wrong for it... you're free to do as you please, and have any opinion you like. I'm just making the observation that those who say things like you do, are in fact generally the same people who share your ignorance of how it works.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
If you had, you'd know that currency's power comes from market acceptance, not mandate by governmental authority.
Yes, it does have "governmental authority", the government says to businesses that they have to take that money, ie. The US Dollar. It doesn't have to be in the form of a physical bank note but the government has said that a business has to take the equivalent of said US Dollar be it a credit card or a debit card.
The US dollar also has no physical backing.
That may very well be true but the world knows that the US Dollar is backed by the good faith in the US Government. Last time I checked, the US Government isn't going to be going anywhere any time soon. They're not just going to go *poof* tomorrow and even if it does, we're all completely fucked no matter what kind of currency you have, crypto or otherwise. Have you heard of something called the "Petro Dollar", it's the same damn thing that the US Dollar is. It's why when the US Economy died in the 1930s with the Great Depression the whole world was just as fucked.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Until the whole paradigm started after WW2 with the US as both economical and military superpower changes, then the defacto currency won't change either. THAT's what backs currency. Power (and always has, going back thousands of years). Not some egghead bullshit or better ideas.

But I'll reiterate: I'm not against miners. Profit from it to your heart's content. Just don't make it anymore than that.

edit: And wanting to decentralize everything requires power in and of itself, ironically. Maybe that'll happen one day, who knows.. But it sure as hell won't happen because you say so. It's a direct challenge to the one who doesn't want that.

edit 2: I almost see decentralized currency the same way I see Globalism. Both are ideas before their time (but both appeal to me btw). Both also got a boost from the Digital Age as finally seeming viable (since the Internet itself is sort of a decentralized and global entity). But it's deceptive. The World is not the Internet. Issues of Meatspace will not be ignored so easily.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Until the whole paradigm started after WW2 with the US as both economical and military superpower changes, then the defacto currency won't change either. THAT's what backs currency. Power (and always has, going back thousands of years). Not some egghead bullshit or better ideas.
Exactly and that power is usually a government. Better ideas though it may be but we're not Star Trek here and until we breed a better human that shit ain't gonna happen.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

Have a great life TPU.

I feel the same way many days, sadly. But it has a bright side on other days. This is just a bad thread and very sore subject in which ignorance tends to win.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Blockchain has a lot in common with peer to peer networks. Peer to peer isn't inherently bad just like blockchain isn't inherently bad. It's fundamentally a tool in a developers toolbox. It's how the tool is used that's bad. Cryptocurrencies are one such example (used to redistribute wealth like a Ponzi scheme). People attack cryptocurrencies because it's wasteful, unproductive, disrupted graphics card markets, and there's a lot of criminal activity afoot. I've yet to see anyone attack blockchain. Again, it's just a tool.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
You already know how I feel about your opinion here... it's frankly uneducated. You are taking the dominate type of cryptos issues and applying it to the whole phrase. That is part of the problem here. People in general these days feel ignorance to be a right, and make no effort to understand the small details. Kneejerk judgements rule the day.

I wish I could say it was just here. And no, ford, this is not exclusively aimed at you. Not at all.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Any type of blockchain that is structured as a profit model is going to be corrupted in the same way Bitcoin was. Blockchain can be divorced from cryptocurrencies (e.g. PoET) and they can go on to do great things because the profit incentive simply isn't there. Everyone is a stakeholder because they're a member of the network and they profit from conducting business, not being a member (which translates into cost savings). Think co-op rather than corporation. Trading receipts (marketable value of nil) rather than cryptocurrency.

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Any type of blockchain that is structured as a profit model is going to be corrupted in the same way Bitcoin was. Blockchain can be divorced from cryptocurrencies (e.g. PoET) and they can go on to do great things because the profit incentive simply isn't there. Everyone is a stakeholder because they're a member of the network and they profit from conducting business, not being a member (which translates into cost savings). Think co-op rather than corporation. Trading receipts (marketable value of nil) rather than cryptocurrency.

The real question is, do you have a right to dictate to those that use a for-profit blockchain, that they shouldn't do so? Obviously blockchain technology can be divorced from cryptocurrencies. That doesn't give you or anyone else the right to dictate that people not use the technology in for-profit applications.

Obviously, this is a rhetorical question, because I already know what your answer is...

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
The real question is, do you have a right to dictate to those that use a for-profit blockchain, that they shouldn't do so?
Have I ever? Sure I point all the reasons one shouldn't involve themselves with it but dictate? No.

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Have I ever? Sure I point all the reasons one shouldn't involve themselves with it but dictate? No.

You have, several times, advocated for governmental regulation. That is, by definition, dictation.