• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Launches World's First Thunderbolt 3 QLED Curved Monitor at IFA 2018

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Samsung Electronics has expanded its ground-breaking curved display line-up upon the global launch of the new CJ79 (Model name: C34J791) monitor. The CJ79 34-inch curved monitor is the first of its kind to feature Intel's Thunderbolt 3 connectivity.

Compatible with Macs and PCs, the CJ79 features two Thunderbolt 3 ports that transmit display, data and power at a superhero processing speed of up to 40 Gigabits per second (Gpbs), eight times faster than USB 3.0, and simultaneously charges devices up to 85 watts(W), all through a single cable.

"Over the years, Samsung has revolutionized the viewing experience for professionals alike," said Seog-gi Kim, Executive Vice President of Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. "The CJ79 is our latest endeavor in taking curved monitors to the next level that highlights our commitment to innovation. The addition of Thunderbolt 3 connectivity aligns to that vision and connects customers to infinite possibilities."

"The Thunderbolt 3 ecosystem continues to expand and deliver innovative products with outstanding performance." said Jason Ziller, General Manager, Client Connectivity Division at Intel. "It is timely that Samsung, a leading manufacturer, is featuring their CJ79 QLED Monitor with Thunderbolt 3 connectivity. This new CJ79 QLED Monitor delivers the performance while enabling a powerful new display with integrated docking capabilities for a simple and easy to use solution."

Working on Multiple Projects Simultaneously
The CJ79 offers a clear and crisp picture quality while providing a seamless dual monitor experience on a single screen. The 3440×1440 ultra-wide curved display with its 21:9 aspect ratio provides all users with the workspace needed to multi-task efficiently and in comfort. With the Picture-by-Picture (PBP) feature, professionals can display two sources and for optimal multi-tasking, the Picture-in-Picture (PIP) feature allows users to resize the second source to up to 25 percent of the screen and position it anywhere for a more readable format.

The industry's sharpest, 1,500R curved ultra-wide screen, is engineered to follow the natural curve of the eye for a more immersive and comfortable viewing experience. With the height-adjustable stand and tilt functionality, CJ79 lets users customize the positions meeting their most comfortable viewing parameters. Furthermore, the Thunderbolt 3 connectivity, a new level of capability to charge Mac or PC let users connect to additional Thunderbolt 3 or USB devices directly to the monitor.

Supreme Picture Quality and Speed
Samsung's CJ79 incorporates Quantum Dot technology with brilliant and realistic detail across a 125 percent sRGB color spectrum. The curved VA panel technology produces a 3,000:1 contrast ratio far surpassing conventional monitors and amplifies previously hidden details across the entire screen through pristine shades, deeper blacks and brighter whites.

The AMD FreeSync synchronizes the refresh rate of graphic cards for the CJ79 to reduce image tearing and stutter, providing seamless gameplay and video playback for uninterrupted viewing.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
1500R curve? Wow that's is very noticeable. You really can't do any photo editing on that if you rely on anything involving straight lines. I just replaced my Dell Ultrasharp U3415W (3800R) with an Alienware equivalent (higher refresh rate, gsync, whatever that part isn't important) and the new monitor has a 1900R and my god it is one of the most jarring difference I have ever seen. When I read the specs I didn't think it would be that big of a deal but holy shit it is huge when you see it outside of gaming.

Stupid to tout Thunderbolt3 transfer speeds when this will only use the embedded DP protocol to transfer actual signal to the monitor.
Given that it is Thunderbolt3 I would imagine it is targeted at Mac users, ie. content creators (who else in their right mind would use one) and I don't know of a single content creator who wants a curved monitor.

Strange product indeed. It's like they just slap each combination of features together and throw it at the wall to see if it sticks, rather than doing any kind of market research.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
21:9 monitors are the best. Cannot go back to standard 16:9 ever...

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
What should happen for goddamn manufacturers to list FreeSync range??!?!?! Jesus...

Oh, and couldn't care less about TB, where is my HDR in here?