• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Electronic Arts Will Not Remove Loot Boxes from FIFA 18 in Direct Disregard to Belgian Law

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Well, well, well. It was only a few days ago that we reported how 2K was being brazen about asking their game players to talk to the Belgian government about keeping loot boxes in their NBA series and turns out Electronic Arts (EA) decided they could do one worse. Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad published a story on how the Belgian Gaming Commission is preparing to take a legal stance against EA for refusing to remove loot boxes from FIFA 18 wherein their game buyers could purchase player packs with real money and not know what they receive in return. As if that was not bad enough, EA has doubled down with FIFA 19 by having the same "feature" again but with an increased roster to further tune the loot box chances against the customer. Andrew Wilson, the CEO of EA, commented that these loot boxes are not gambling as players know exactly how many objects they receive.

As it stands, the Belgian Gaming Commission has sent an official report to EA about their refusal to comply with the act that has been ratified since. The report states that anyone who does not conform will face the risk of legal prosecution, and it is now up to the Brussels public prosecutor's office to decide whether or not they want to charge EA accordingly. EA, meanwhile, is prepared to fight this in court and a judgement here would set a massive precedent to what is allowed in game microtransactions in the future. EA remains the only major game publisher to not make changes as directed, with Valve, Activision Blizzard and 2K, having done so before- albeit begrudgingly in some cases. Loot boxes contributed a major part of EA's annual revenue last year, with some citing online sales to be as much as 67% (which includes other forms of purchases, not just microtransactions). No wonder then that EA would like to keep milking this cow as much as they can, even if that means less milk to everyone else.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
EA just buried themselves even deeper

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Two outcomes:
1. A huge lump of cash labelled "Definitely not a bribe" will land in the Brussels' Prosecutor's Office and no charge will be made
2. The Prosecutor's Office decides to use EA as an example to the rest of the industry and bans the offending games from that country and/or slaps a paltry fine EA won't care about

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
EA probably figures any fine(s) it gets will easily be offset by all the money they'll rake in from every other place that allows these kind of loot boxes.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Belgium will simply ban FIFA games from being sold in their country. We'll see EA bend over very quickly after that.

System Name Current
Processor i7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Prime Z690-A
Cooling Noctua NHD15s
Memory 32GB G.Skill
Video Card(s) GTX 1070Ti
Storage WD SN-850 2TB
Display(s) LG Ultragear 27GL850-B
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic 1000W Titanium
Two outcomes:
1. A huge lump of cash labelled "Definitely not a bribe" will land in the Brussels' Prosecutor's Office and no charge will be made
2. The Prosecutor's Office decides to use EA as an example to the rest of the industry and bans the offending games from that country and/or slaps a paltry fine EA won't care about

Please be the second. Maybe a gofundme can be started to deposit a ‘definitely not a bribe’ in the prosecutor’s pocket to ensure charges are laid. :D

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
just goes to show how much money these companies rake in with loot boxes

Processor 2500K @ 4.5GHz 1.28V
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24 1T
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 470
Storage Crucial m4 128GB + Seagate RAID 1 (1TB x 2)
Display(s) Dell 22" 1680x1050 nothing special
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W
Software Windows 7 64bit Pro
So just being the Devil's advocate here..... since EA claims the user knows how many items they will receive, just not exactly which items; how are loot boxes any different than buying a pack of baseball cards?

I can also understand the stance of EA here. Regardless of how someone feels about the idea of loot boxes, from the numbers it looks like these microtransactions made up a large percentage of their revenue last year. I'm assuming here, but it's probably safe to assume that they made more off of microtransactions than their entire sales to just the country of Belgium (population 11.35 million as of 2016). I'm not a shareholder but if I was, I'd be pretty adamant that EA continues the use of loot boxes even if it meant losing all sales to one smaller country. Additionally, why couldn't EA simply state that they will not distribute games to Belgium knowing full well that any resident that wants their games would buy from an out of country entity and still get their hands on it? That way, if / when the court comes down on EA they can argue that it was the buyer's fault that they even have their game in the banned country.

Just throwing some thoughts out there on the subject. I have no love or hate for EA or loot boxes. I do see how limiting a player's ability to advance in a game without them utilizing loot boxes is very shady (essentially limiting the gameplay unless you pay a "bribe" or "ransom" / buy loot box) but for me it is up to the consumer to curtail this trend and not the role of government. As a final disclaimer... these days, my gaming consists almost entirely of old NES titles.

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Two things:
1. Belgium will ban the games or EA can bend over and accept the removal of loot boxes.
2. Belgium will manage to get out a possible EU wide ban and EA will not only bend over, but plead to do it.

They are just a gaming company versus one of the core European countries. It will be one sided.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Put bluntly, EA is not afraid of the Belgian government and frankly, I doubt they really care if the Belgian government bans the game in that country. They'd rather get banned from a small market then take away their highly profitable loot box model from everywhere, even Belgium. If Belgium doesn't act quick (which it won't), EA can make a lot of money off of FIFA loot boxes by the time Belgium acts to stop it. It's a calculated risk for them.

EA also likely feels that if they don't stand up to the government, it could turn into an avalanche where loot boxes can't be used globally. I don't know what percent of EA's revenue is composed of loot boxes but I'm certain it's a very large chunk (probably around half, article says 67%).

EA's defense in their statement is extremely weak but...consider "happy meal" toys. You get one per "happy meal" but you don't know what it is. Families may buy lots of "happy meals" to complete that toy set for the same reason people buy lots of loot boxes (to get that one card they really want). Should the gambling element of "happy meals" be banned too? Where is the line between random and gambling? Exchange of money?

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Just another reason why I am refusing to purchase BF:V

I understand that a business exists to make money but when youre already making and endless waterfall of money and already have a few billion in the bank but still out to find as many ways to make the waterfall bigger so you can have more money then the whole thing becomes a little Jaded.

The focus is making money. not making great experiences and EA has set the bar pretty low by making a lazy attempt of a game then propping itself up by selling lootcrates.

EA used to be good. I have loved a lot of their games, and I know they can make great games but they just dont want to spare the effort. Just like I stopped buying CoD when it started going downhill after MW2, I will now stop buying EA titles completely.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
So just being the Devil's advocate here..... since EA claims the user knows how many items they will receive, just not exactly which items; how are loot boxes any different than buying a pack of baseball cards?

I could have always gone to a card show and purchased a particular card that I wanted from one of the sellers in a brand (Topps, Upper Deck, Fleer, Donuruss.....not sure if there are any others, it's been so long) I wanted or I could try my luck with buying a pack of cards from the appropriate year a player has played and pray I was lucky.

I used to frequent card shows with my older brother back in the late 80s and early 90s - most of the time we had a table and sold cards at them, but we had just as much fun wandering the show and buying. I was a big Bears fan back then (used to go to Platteville, WI back in the day to watch the Bears practice) and had countless autographs from players. My goal, when attending these card shows was getting a Mike Singletary rookie card from Topps in 1981 - I wanted him to sign it at the practice. I came across someone selling a full box of unopened 1981 packs of Topps football cards, but I lacked the funds to buy the box. My older brother went and purchased it because he was working on completing the 1981 Topps, full set, plus he really wanted Lawrence Taylor's rookie card. He went through all the packs and didn't come across either Mike Singletary or Lawrence Taylor's rookie cards.....I eventually found someone selling his rookie card, but I ended up moving by the time I got his rookie card and never visited the training camp again.

My point is. You can find a particular player's card and buy it individually and not have to go through a full case of unopened cards hoping you'll get the one you want.

My understanding with Fifa is that you can't do that. You have to purchase their packs to earn players, you can't just go into the shop and buy a specific player. You're forced to "gamble" in hopes that you get a player you really want.

System Name Linotosh
Processor Dual 800mhz G4
Cooling Air
Memory 1.5 GB
EA probably figures any fine(s) it gets will easily be offset by all the money they'll rake in from every other place that allows these kind of loot boxes.
My thoughts exactly. And they are probably correct. This type of activity is a common business practice for a lot of corporations. It won't stop until consumers refuse to accept it.

Processor 2500K @ 4.5GHz 1.28V
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24 1T
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 470
Storage Crucial m4 128GB + Seagate RAID 1 (1TB x 2)
Display(s) Dell 22" 1680x1050 nothing special
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W
Software Windows 7 64bit Pro
My point is. You can find a particular player's card and buy it individually and not have to go through a full case of unopened cards hoping you'll get the one you want.

Very true and I did have that moment of thought before coming up with the baseball card analogy. My rebuttal though is I've never seen any of the brands sell individual cards, only packs. Back when I was a kid and collecting, you had to get the chalky stick of gum and a handful of other player's cards that no one had ever heard of outside their home crowd. Fast forward to today.... I have no idea.

Edit: We could go to the card/coin/whatever collectible shop and get the card we wanted but it was through a 3rd party and not directly from Topps.

Damn EA is run by the antichrist

Two outcomes:
I predict option 2. EA, and devs in general, need to be shown what their place is and put in it. The fine however needs to be large and the EU needs to back the Belgian Gov on this.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
System Name lazy ass
Processor Intel i5 7600k 4.2 GHz
Motherboard MSI Enthusiastic Gaming Z270 (Z270 GAMING M3)
Cooling H80i GT V1 liquid cooling
Memory CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 8G 11Gbps
Storage seagate 2tb HDD/boot drive SSD Samsung 960 evo M.2
Display(s) ASUS 28inch 4k
Case Corsair Graphite Series 760T
Audio Device(s) mobo
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750G1 750 watts
Mouse Razer Mamba wireless/ needs a new one razer sucks
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB
Software Windows 10 home
Benchmark Scores to be updated soon
You think ea is bad elder scrolls online crowns go up to $150 to buy crap from there store. I mean I play the game but don't spend on crown store. Basically there loot boxes.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
I predict option 2. EA, and devs in general, need to be shown what their place is and put in it. The fine however needs to be large and the EU needs to back the Belgian Gov on this.

If this isn't the case, i can totally picture EA laughing about it but, judging by latest EU fines, EA may end up regretting this ... hard ...

We shall see ...

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I'm happy to see somebody trying to smack this lootbox nonsense out... but just who is Belgium, anyway? They're just one small country in Europe. EA would probably rather have the game banned in Belgium than get rid of lootboxes for the rest of the world. This will only work if there's a large following behind Belgium here... like, the rest of the EU.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Even then, they would probably only remove lootboxes from the EU SKU. Rest of the world would still get them. They already have EU SKUs because of localization so it wouldn't be technically difficult at all for them to extend that. It's more complicated for them to police one country because they'd have to create a separate SKU for Belgium. Probably why EA is refusing to comply.

Last edited:
And i bet they'd literally just cut it out so EU players won't even get free stuff that is obtained through loot system...

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
My guess is they'll do the math: They know exactly what the odds are with the lootboxes. They'll translate that into fixed prices on their store. You either buy it at that price or you don't get it at all.

Publishers like EA just want money. The reason why they turned to loot boxes is because the gambling mechanic has repeatedly been shown to encourage people to spend more than they would otherwise. They know they're preying on specific demographics that are vulnerability to exploitation. They don't care. They'll keep doing it as long as they can get away with it.

"Free stuff" is a calculation. That approach to compliance with the law is only used if implementing an alterative exceeds the cost of simply giving it away. 2K especially was blindsided by Belgium's move. Going forward (2019 games), they'll be ready for it.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Should the gambling element of "happy meals" be banned too? Where is the line between random and gambling? Exchange of money?
The answer it's yes. All this type of gambling should be banned. Either is micro-transactions, loot boxes, happy meals toys, etc.
If I buy a product I want to know exactly what I am buying and paying for. Not some random crap which I might already have.
If I want gambling I go to the Casino, Pacinko-Slots, etc, not to a family restaurant or on the kids games.
Yep, I think not only Belgium, but whole EU should take out a stance for this garbage.