• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel CFO and Interim CEO Writes an Open Letter on Processor Supply

With Ryzen on the market, it does surprise me why people still keep choosing Intel in this 'increasingly competitive market'. Yes, people are going to tell me that Intel still leads in gaming, but that only really matters at really high refresh rates in competitive games. The vast majority of gamers can be served by Ryzen and still have an, arguably, more future-proof platform and superior multi-tasking capability... Intel's product line already looked 'meh' before these price increases and now it's just flat-out moot. i3 8100 is £180-190 here and Ryzen 5 2600 is £150. Need I say more? You would have to be brain-dead to choose the i3.

PC euthusiasts are minority, remember that. Don't assume everyone to be expert in PC. And heck, some shitty games stutter on Ryzen, if you are ever open-minded to hear actual feedbacks from Ryzen users.

Someone have to be brain-dead to let PC noobs, who can barely insert pictures in Word, to diagnose their RAM compatibility and flash their BIOS, and tell them that stutters in some games are not AMD's fault.

Demand for Intel products is insane. I'm expecting another record in profits. No need to rush 10nm when their 14nm is more desirable than their competitors using ARM and other x86 knockoffs.

@btarunr
Could you please give your reason for marking this post as "low quality"?

No word on why HT is being phased out slowly in most of the consumer parts.
New product lineup. They're moving from 2-4 cores to 2-8 cores on the consumer socket.
It looks very similar, but now "max cores + HT" is called i9, not i7.

Last edited:

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
@btarunr

Dwade is a well known Intel troll. You, @notb, may be pro-Intel, but Dwade's just trolling... not hating though, I usually find his posts hilarious. That said there are other posts in here that I would contend are of even lower quality... o_O

@btarunr

New product lineup. They're moving from 2-4 cores to 2-8 cores on the consumer socket.
x86 knockoffs seriously? Without these knockoffs each one of us would still be owning an "IBM" PC & there would be no "chipzilla" churning record profits year after year :rolleyes:

Not to mention x86 is nowhere to be found in FF <5W even after Intel poured tens of billions $ worth of bribes contra revenue!

Dwade is a well known Intel troll. You, @notb, may be pro-Intel, but Dwade's just trolling... not hating though, I usually find his posts hilarious. That said there are other posts in here that I would contend are of even lower quality... o_O
So his post was hidden because of dwade's history on forum? Seriously?

What he wrote is correct. Intel's revenue is going up.
I'll just patiently wait for @btarunr explanation. :)
x86 knockoffs seriously? Without these knockoffs each one of us would still be owning an "IBM" PC & there would be no "chipzilla" churning record profits year after year :rolleyes:

Not to mention x86 is nowhere to be found in FF <5W even after Intel poured tens of billions $ worth of bribes contra revenue!
Wrong post quoted? :)

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Infinity Fabric that allows ultra-high yields and low cost and by that low price for customers and IPC progress for Zen closing the gap to Intel's offerings got the Chipzilla in that position. Intel stopped innovating since core gen 3 and just kept miliking customers as AMD didn't progress well in cpu tech having big financial problems. It was totally unexpected for Intel to have AMD coming so much stronger in 1 year after Zen-core products got on sale. Bad management should have reacted better though and not panicking like we see. Security problems hurt them muchly in server and cloud market also. 7nm's product timeschedule of getting on sale is critical to even turn the tides considering the situation.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
desirable than their competitors using ARM and other x86 knockoffs.
Probably because of this reference
Highly incorrect there are no X86 Knockoffs on the market if there were you would See the FULL MIGHT OF AMD AND INTELS LEGAL TEAM JOINTLY GO AFTER THEM

Indra18

• We are investing a record $15 billion in capital expenditures in 2018, up approximately $1 billion from the beginning of the year. We're putting that $1 billion into our 14 nm manufacturing sites in Oregon, Arizona, Ireland and Israel. This capital along with other efficiencies is increasing our supply to respond to your increased demand.
  • We're making progress with 10 nm. Yields are improving and we continue to expect volume production in 2019.
  • We are taking a customer-first approach. We're working with your teams to align demand with available supply. You can expect us to stay close, listen, partner and keep you informed.
Just words for keep investors on wallstreet...but in real: intel have nuffing just refresh refreshing "lakes" pakes ..if they have they will relase now. but they keep whole world in stone ages with core arch..

1. intel have no brains to new arch .. even to zen 2 2019... sooo they can "invest " 100 billion and still will behind AMD
2. where and how they will invets that 15 B??? pay manager 100K per month or others?? buy new machine for process if TSMC and samsung have best and best people ?))) creating own machines and process is superexpensive and no reliable in todays...its not 1998 )) where hi tech was only exclusive"made in usa or intel" "magic" .-..))
3. when amd was down they dont cry like babe and work (lisa) NOw shiintel acting like shooted dying animall and cryyyyyyy....
4. we are taking "approach" ...... oo menn oo dany booy )))) cry my river cryy and do something dirty agains amd like always
5. monopol is best friend of capitalism.. and intel cry it showing absolutly Clear "we want monopol but not melt own stash of dollahs witch was accumulated in years of monopoly dirty game" )))))))
6. GO LISA and destroy monopol !
Edit: that fabs is reliable if intel have world monopol ! if no.. they will "eat " quick all intel income in "investing" .. intel can not support fabs around globe contra trying find best people... ist killing own self scenario .. just use brain people,,,

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
@btarunr

In all fairness they should permaban that flame baiter right now. He's one of the very select sad cases I have on ignore. Zero content whatsoever at any possible point in time. You should do the same, you won't miss a thing.

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650
My comment aligns with the article. People want Intel processors more than their competitors.
Mindfactory disagrees:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Mindfactory disagrees

Doesn't change the fact that if, going by your pic, they lost 30% market share, but are charging 50% more, they still be in the black.

Also, they list in your pic 1171680 CPU sales tracked... that really can't be all the CPUs sold in the past 7 years...

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
I like looking at steam for the real picture...

It doesn't really show that something is changing that much...

amd.jpg

Althou it doesn't have september yet, will be fun to see.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I like looking at steam for the real picture...

It doesn't really show that something is changing that much...

View attachment 107711

Althou it doesn't have september yet, will be fun to see.
The unfortunate through is though, that gamers aren't the entire picture either. Businesses and server farms make a huge chunk of such data, and many of those customers only purchase through "approved" retailers, many of which do not disclose sale figures. The whole market is rather convoluted and many-layered, truly.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
The unfortunate through is though, that gamers aren't the entire picture either. Businesses and server farms make a huge chunk of such data, and many of those customers only purchase through "approved" retailers, many of which do not disclose sale figures. The whole market is rather convoluted and many-layered, truly.

The more... I seldom see ANY AMD powered laptops that is used mostly in businesses now. Nothing is changed in that department from my point of view... the big PC's nowadays are build mostly and only for gaming in my opinion, there are exceptions but those are rare. That's from the domestic consumer point. Prosumer needs always differ.

INTEL's product may not be actually much better than AMD's. But they work better for what most of the world needs them to do, so they sell more.

I am on gen 4 Core i5 and still not planning to upgrade, as gen 6 and 7 were crap updates not worth the money to change the MB and memory.
Is gen 8 much better? PC Gaming should not have an actual real need to upgrade, there will not be a significant performance increase.

Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Keyboard Trust GXT280
If that diagram from Mindfactory.de iO posted is correct and representative of the market situation atm and Intel loses 30% of the market from let's say 50/50 that results in them selling 20% from 50% and that means a 60% loss that cannot be saved from even 50% price increase. This refers only to the desktop pc market though. Server and cloud business is more money and will change slower.

If that diagram from Mindfactory.de iO posted is correct and representative of the market situation atm and Intel loses 30% of the market from let's say 50/50 that results in them selling 20% from 50% and that means a 60% loss that cannot be saved from even 50% price increase. This refers only to the desktop pc market though. Server and cloud business is more money and will change slower.
You've ignored notebooks and OEM desktops.

I don't know much about the market in Germany, but 1.2 mln CPUs sold over 7 years is way less than 170k CPUs yearly sold to a nation of 83 mln.
Lets assume there are 80mln x86 consumer CPUs in use in DE and they're replaced every 4 years.
So Mindfactory would be reporting 1% of CPU sales.

Lets be honest: even if AMD managed to have 100% share in custom built desktops, they wouldn't even get close to what Intel sells.
Until they manage to attract OEMs, the gap will remain huge.
But Intel and AMD know very well how many CPUs they sell. :)
So even if AMD doesn't know how many CPUs Intel sells (unlikely), if they're so proud of the growth, why not give us their figures?

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Translation: Wahhhhhhh! Higher core counts costs us yields and wafers. 10nm is broken and killing us. Damn you, AMD, you morons. We had a plan to keep selling high end quad cores till 2020! F you, Lisa!

No, that's not satire. It's what the execs are thinking.
Yep, in full agreement there. Intel really needs to rethink how they build chips from this point on, the days of monolithic chips are done simply due to the complexities that come from building chips with a lot of cores onboard. I'd hate to see their reject rates, they're probably horrible. There's only so many Core i3's they can make from the scraps.

This is where AMD Ryzen is winning. They can make smaller dies and stitch them together thus reducing the complexities of making higher core count chips. Infinity Fabric like setups are the future going forward.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro

fabtech

no rush Intel. Take your time to catch up on lithography improvements and fix your damn security bugs!

Holy shit just saw 8700k processors are now $400 on newegg. Wow
It's even worse in Europe by hitting 525 € ($610).
This letter from Intel sounds so hypocrites.
They are in the mud up to the neck, to be polite, if not more. Intel just deserves what is happening to them. They already had a lesson with Pentium 4, it wasn't a lesson learned, so now it is even much worse. But will they still learn? I doubt it.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
that really can't be all the CPUs sold in the past 7 years...
They are not obsiously. If in that graph where 1 million old and forgotten CPUs, AMD would have to sell a few hundred thousand Ryzen CPUs to move that graph that much, through Mindfactoty alone. They would have ended making $30 billions revenue or something like that, this quarter alone.

Keyboard Trust GXT280

I don't know much about the market in Germany, but 1.2 mln CPUs sold over 7 years is way less than 170k CPUs yearly sold to a nation of 83 mln.
Lets assume there are 80mln x86 consumer CPUs in use in DE and they're replaced every 4 years.

Lets be honest: even if AMD managed to have 100% share in custom built desktops, they wouldn't even get close to what Intel sells.

So even if AMD doesn't know how many CPUs Intel sells (unlikely), if they're so proud of the growth, why not give us their figures?
I didn't ignore anything at all. I spoke about desktop pc market. And OEMs will turn to AMD also if price and availability are as bad as they seem to be. And only high end notebooks have big profit margin cpus and chipsets so that market isn't big enough to save the day. At the moment only server and cloud market is keeping Intel cpu segment alive but for how long if Epyc is available and Xeons aren't? And if that situation keeps for 3-4 months more, 7nm will make a big boom. For now, signs are good for competition in that market.

System Name SIGSEGV
Processor INTEL i7-7700K | AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard QUANTA | ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Air cooling 4 heatpipes | Corsair H115i | Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC Fan 3000RPM
Memory Micron 16 Gb DDR4 2400 | GSkill Ripjaws 32Gb DDR4 3200 3400(OC) 14-14-14-34 @1.38v
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1060 6GB | Gigabyte 1080Ti Aorus
Storage 1TB 7200/256 SSD PCIE | ~ TB | 970 Evo
Display(s) 15,5" / 27"
Case Black & Grey | Phanteks P400S
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Li Battery | Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse g402
Keyboard Leopold|Ducky
Software LinuxMint KDE |UBUNTU | Windows 10 PRO
Benchmark Scores i dont care about scores
take your time intel, please no rush. I am very happy with my AMD rig and I don't have to buy a new board on every processor being released for small damn improvement.

:peace::nutkick:

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7

Absolutely correct. Just a thought. People who work in big corporations, either they are OEMs of just big corporations doing something different than computer hardware anyway, and they are responsible for PCs and servers used there, they are also consumers. As with many of us in here, they get used in a platform. They don't act of course with emotion when they decide what hardware they will suggest for their corporation, except if they love big unemployment vacations, but the system they have in their home could influence their final decision, even a little. So, those numbers, if they are not just mindfactory numbers, and probably they are not, with Intel prices skyrocketing everywhere, means more consumers getting familiar with AMD hardware, more ITs getting AMD hardware for their home PCs, more opportunities for AMD in the future IF, and this is a big IF, stays at least competitive with Intel for 2-3 more years. No one expects everything to change over night or even in a period of a month.