• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sources Claim No USB-C on the New Surface Pro 6 and Surface Laptop 2, Only Spec Bumps Ahead

Much had been said about a potential complete redesign for the Surface Pro family that is about to be announced, but it looks like we will have to wait to see Microsoft make a leap in these convertibles' look. On October 2, Microsoft will hold an event in New York to present new hardware, and this product will be among the main highlights.

Sources close to the company have indicated to WinFuture that the new Surface Pro will be basically an iteration with an improvement in terms of power and performance. This "Surface Pro 6" (actually Microsoft eliminated the numbering of its models last year) will integrate Intel's quad-core 8th-generation Core processors. There will also be a low-end model based on the Intel Core M that will also be accompanied by 4GB of RAM, but the rest of models will have at least 8GB of memory.

According to those comments, the other (slightly) renewed product that we will see will be the new Surface Laptop, also updated with new Intel processors. One of the surprises about this slight refresh is the fact that none of them will have USB-C ports. This was one of the expected improvements, but Microsoft seems to resist to adopt this connector although some of their latest devices (Surface Go, Surface Book 2) do have this port.

Panos Panay, head of the Surface division, explained sometime ago how for them USB-C was not yet ready for customers, but stressed that "when Type-C is ready for our customers, to make it easy for them, we'll be there". That hasn't stopped the company from launching a dongle that provides USB-C ports, ironically.

If those rumors are true, there will be no aesthetic changes in the range beyond a potential new black color. The new models are expected to have the same starting prices as their predecessors, which would make us have an entry-level model starting at $799, but without a keyboard or Surface Pen in Surface Pro's offering, for example.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
If they keep that awful design (from engineering and repairability standpoint), then might as well kill off the entire surface brand altogether.
I think their last Surface Laptop got 0 out of 10 repairability score on iFixit, which is even worse than anything made by Apple in recent years.

If they keep that awful design (from engineering and repairability standpoint), then might as well kill off the entire surface brand altogether.
I think their last Surface Laptop got 0 out of 10 repairability score on iFixit, which is even worse than anything made by Apple in recent years.

Absolutely. I remember thinking how great it would have been to have a Surface Book without the detachable part. What we got was the Surface Laptop, which in my opinion is one of the best examples of the curse of an entire generation of hardware products. Eve V has been a good sign that Surface Pro form factor is good, but can lead to better features.

System Name Aryzen / Sairikiki / Tesseract
Processor 5800x / i7 920@3.73 / 5800x
Motherboard Steel Legend B450M / GB EX58-UDP4 / Steel Legend B550M
Cooling Mugen 5 / Pure Rock / Glacier One 240
Memory Corsair Something 16 / Corsair Something 12 / G.Skill 32
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT / AMD 6750XT / Sapphire 7800XT
Storage Way too many drives...
Display(s) LG 332GP850-B / Sony w800b / Sony X90J
Case EVOLV X / Carbide 540 / Carbide 280x
Audio Device(s) SB ZxR + GSP 500 / board / Denon X1700h + ELAC Uni-Fi 2 + Senn 6XX
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GX-750 / Corsair HX750 / Seasonic Focus PX-650
Mouse G700 / none / G602
Keyboard G910
Software w11 64
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks...
Absolutely. I remember thinking how great it would have been to have a Surface Book without the detachable part. What we got was the Surface Laptop, which in my opinion is one of the best examples of the curse of an entire generation of hardware products. Eve V has been a good sign that Surface Pro form factor is good, but can lead to better features.

My wife has a refub Surface Book that she's been using for two years now. So far no problems whatsoever. For atrists, it's a stellar device.

Processor Intel i7 6700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7
Cooling Nocuta nh-d14
Memory Patriot 16GB
Video Card(s) Gibabyte GeForce GTX 1080Ti
Storage (system) Corsair 120GB Force GT, (games) 500GB 840, (data) Seagate 1TB Barracuda + WD 1TB Black
Display(s) AOC AG271QG
Case NZXT Phantom
Power Supply Corsair ax1200i
Mouse g502
Keyboard G710+
Software Win10

Why such hate? Do you, have you ever, owe/owned Surface Book? I am using SB2 and so far no problem. It's is a remarkable machine, better than Mac Pro.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
I looked at the Surface line-up recently, and was confused. Speedy hardware with out of date connections / lack of ports. Or slow cpu with usb C and card slots, iirc. I gave up and closed the page.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
Why such hate? Do you, have you ever, owe/owned Surface Book? I am using SB2 and so far no problem. It's is a remarkable machine, better than Mac Pro.

Classic "Why are you hating?", followed by some faulty comparison based hating.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

What does a Mac Pro have to do with anything? People are commenting on this machine...

My personal opinion is that it just doesn't make sense.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I wouldn't want a USB-C on there. They only have one USB-A port and it's usually got a wireless mouse dongle plugged into it. Because there is only one port, if not that, it would have a USB hub plugged into it. USB-A is much stronger for supporting a hub than USB-C. The only reason why anyone would want USB-C is to plug a smartphone into it. You can get USB-A hubs with USB-C ports to accomplish that.

Surface Pro is a tablet first and foremost. Tablets usually don't have many USB ports.

My wife has a refub Surface Book that she's been using for two years now. So far no problems whatsoever. For atrists, it's a stellar device.

I'm talking about the Surface Laptop, not about the Surface Pro.

I was referring to the Surface Laptop, not the Surface Book. I love that machine although the detachable part is not that important for me. What I meant is, I'd like to have a good latop from Microsoft that is just a laptop. For me, the Surface Laptop isn't that machine.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I wouldn't want a USB-C on there. They only have one USB-A port and it's usually got a wireless mouse dongle plugged into it. Because there is only one port, if not that, it would have a USB hub plugged into it. USB-A is much stronger for supporting a hub than USB-C. The only reason why anyone would want USB-C is to plug a smartphone into it. You can get USB-A hubs with USB-C ports to accomplish that.

Surface Pro is a tablet first and foremost. Tablets usually don't have many USB ports.
The surface has built in bluetooth. Why are you using a USB dongle?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Ironically, she started looking for a mouse today, and I verified that it does have Bluetooth so might be getting one. Thanks!