• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock Announces Z390 Taichi, Z390 Taichi Ultimate Motherboards

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
ASRock today announced their Taichi family of Z390 motherboards. The new Taichi motherboards (whose branding has garnered somewhat of a cult following among PC component enthusiasts due to their build-quality and reliability) are being placed in the top of the heap for ASRock's Z390 push.

The 8th and 9th Gen supporting motherboards feature the same 12-phase power delivery design for outstanding power delivery, as well as some other features such as an integrated M.2 shield and ASRock's Polychrome RGB lighting solution. Hyper BCLK Engine II also makes an appearance on both motherboards, for higher overclocking stability and capabilities. Other added features include ASRock's Purity Sound 4 with Realtek's ALC1220 audio codec. The Taichi Ultimate, however, ups the ante by delivering an Aquantia Ethernet solution (AQtion) with 10 Gbps throughput for the ultimate experience - though you'll need to make sure your infrastructure supports these speeds, and that you have a Cat6 Ethernet cable handy.

Both motherboards also feature 1x HDMI, 1x DisplayPort outputs, 8x SATA 3, 3x Ultra M.2 slots with a single M.2 cooling solution, support for 4200 MHz+ DDR4 memory (via OC), 5x USB 3.1 Gen2 (1x Front Type-C, 1x Rear Type-C, 3x Rear Type-A) and 8x additional USB 3.1 Gen1 (4x Front, 4x Rear). Check out the board images and promotional videos below.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Nice board, but with everything they put on it, and the correspondingly high price they will sell for, surely they could have spent the extra $5.00 for 2x additional m.2 heatsinks so all 3 drives would have them....

geesh, wtf is wrong with these people (and the other mobo makers too)

Processor i7-4790K 4.6GHz @1.29v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VII Z97
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G. Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTX 3060 V1 FHR (Newegg Shuffle)
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Display(s) Lenovo y27g 1080p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) AKG Q701's w/ O2+ODAC (Sounds a little bright)
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark FireStrike Score : needs updating
I just wana know if Z390 gets a OC Formula board.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Nice board, but with everything they put on it, and the correspondingly high price they will sell for, surely they could have spent the extra $5.00 for 2x additional m.2 heatsinks so all 3 drives would have them....

Well, the Taichi was the most competitive board in the enthusiast range with Z370, so that could be a reason.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

M.2 heatsinks are kind of one of those things where it is just there to make you feel better, they don't really do much in real world use. Do they help with heat? Yes. Do they prevent throttling? Yes. Does any of that matter in real world use? No, because the drives don't get hot enough or throttle in real world use cases.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
M.2 heatsinks are kind of one of those things where it is just there to make you feel better, they don't really do much in real world use. Do they help with heat? Yes. Do they prevent throttling? Yes. Does any of that matter in real world use? No, because the drives don't get hot enough or throttle in real world use cases.

You know this for a fact? My Plextor drive gets hot as when used and the heatsink that they fitted to it seems to do little to nothing to help. And no, is not placed under my graphics card.

Z390 no more :D

They took everything down. No mention on Z390 at all now.

They kept it for what, like 15 hours or so?

You know this for a fact? My Plextor drive gets hot as when used and the heatsink that they fitted to it seems to do little to nothing to help. And no, is not placed under my graphics card.

I cant find the article, i think it was pcper but somehow my google skills fail me. Basically it went something like for the controller alone cooling makes sense, but for the memory its not necessary and could even be argued to be detrimental. However all those heatsinks and coolers try to cool both the flash ics as well as the controller.

So, how is it going to be, ASRock? Before, company's motherbarods always perfomed as decent analogs of asus for fair price - but this time? Taichi is going to be 800$? Oh, 799$, right.

If you use both m2 slots, you will be left with only 4 active sata port.
Such a stupid limitation from Intel for hi-end motherboard like taichi.

Motherboard AZW SEI
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Power Supply 65w brick
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ

Well, I have to differ with you on this.....

I installed EK finned heatsinks on both of my m.2 drives and immediately saw their everyday real world operating temps drop from 44c to 35c....

Of note though, I have them installed in pcie slots instead of under the gpu, and I have boatloads of airflow through my case too, but still a 9 degree reduction is nuthin to sneeze at IMHO :D

If you use both m2 slots, you will be left with only 4 active sata port. Such a stupid limitation from Intel for hi-end motherboard like taichi

Agreed about this stupid limitation on a $400+++ mobo, however, with more and more folks making the transition to m.2 drives, having 6 or 8 sata ports is becoming less of an issue nowadays :). I only use 4 at most anyways, for 2x optical drives, 1x AIO pump, and my fan controller.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

Yes, I know this for fact. Yes, M.2 drives get hot in use, but even without a heatsink they shouldn't get to the point of getting hot enough to throttle under normal use cases. Yeah, if you hammer the drive and just right files to it constantly, it's going to throttle, but other than maybe the very first time you install the drive and do a clone over to it from an old drive, that isn't going to effect normal day to day use.

All the M.2 drives I've seen almost never throttle with reads, only with writes. And you have to write 100GB+ constant before the drive starts to throttle, which is not something most users do on a regular day to day basis.

Well, I have to differ with you on this.....

I installed an EK heatsink on both of my m.2 drives and immediately saw their everyday real world operating temps drop from 44c to 35c....

Of note though, I have them installed in pcie slots instead of under the gpu, and I have boatloads of airflow through my case too, but still a 9 degree reduction is nuthin to sneeze at IMHO :D

Very good, you went from not throttling to not throttling. Those heatsinks did absolutely nothing for you. Lowering temps is nice, but if it doesn't improve performance one bit, it's kind of pointless. And it isn't like 44°c is going to kill the drive either.

Last edited:
I wish ASRock continued the Extreme series. =/

They used to do wicked halo products with the 9 and 11 series. For some reason these don't have the same appeal for me.

Last edited:
Motherboard AZW SEI
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Power Supply 65w brick
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Yes, I know this for fact. Yes, M.2 drives get hot in use, but even without a heatsink they shouldn't get to the point of getting hot enough to throttle under normal use cases. Yeah, if you hammer the drive and just right files to it constantly, it's going to throttle, but other than maybe the very first time you install the drive and do a clone over to it from an old drive, that isn't going to effect normal day to day use.

All the M.2 drives I've seen almost never throttle with reads, only with writes. And you have to write 100GB+ constant before the drive starts to throttle, which is not something most users do on a regular day to day basis.

Very good, you went from not throttling to not throttling. Those heatsinks did absolutely nothing for you. Lowering temps is nice, but if it doesn't improve performance one bit, it's kind of pointless. And it isn't like 44°c is going to kill the drive either.

Well....

A) I do write large files to my 2nd drive constantly....

B) I was not implying that my drives were throttling or that I was seeking performance improvements, only keeping my drives as cool as possible...

And finally.....

C) we all know that heat and electronics do not go together well, therefore anything one can do to reduce it is a win-win IMHO.... I prefer to make mine last as long as possible thank you....

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
Where are mATX boards? Most of the people don't even need those additional PCIe/M.2 slots.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v

Well, that's your experience. I'm not sharing it with you. This Plextor drive is nice in normal use, but anything the least bit write heavy brings the controller up to 65-70 degrees C and it slows down. Could be a Marvell issue, but it's an issue imho and their standard heatsink admittedly does little to nothing to help with the issue. Then again, is a flimsy bit of aluminium, not a solid heatsink. I dare not think how hot it would get without that flimsy piece of metal though...

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Well....

Over 100GB at a time?

B) I was not implying that my drives were throttling or that I was seeking performance improvements, only keeping my drives as cool as possible...

If that is what you want to do, fine, but it provides no benefit.

And finally.....

C) we all know that heat and electronics do not go together well, therefore anything one can do to reduce it is a win-win IMHO.... I prefer to make mine last as long as possible thank you....

This is a myth. Yes, if an electronic gets too hot, it can die prematurely. However, if it is kept in a safe range, then the life of the component is not going to be affect. And, in fact, it has been shown that operating electronics at too cool of a temperature can have just as bad of an effect on them as too hot.

Well, that's your experience. I'm not sharing it with you. This Plextor drive is nice in normal use, but anything the least bit write heavy brings the controller up to 65-70 degrees C and it slows down. Could be a Marvell issue, but it's an issue imho and their standard heatsink admittedly does little to nothing to help with the issue. Then again, is a flimsy bit of aluminium, not a solid heatsink. I dare not think how hot it would get without that flimsy piece of metal though...

Yeah, I can see your plextor drive struggling a little big more than modern drives, since it is really a first generation NVMe consumer drive. But it still needs a good 50GB+ before it is going to throttle, which again isn't something most users do on a daily basis.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Well....

And finally.....

@newtekie1 is very much correct. You worry too much about heat as if every C somehow affects lifespan or performance. It really doesn't. Its the same nonsense as keeping CPU and GPU below 60 C. It is utterly pointless and 100% emotion for often major expenses and/or sacrifices in terms of noise. Its nice to have headroom, but there is such a thing as overdoing it, too.