• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital Announces 15TB Ultrastar DC HC620 HDD

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Showcasing its continued strength and leadership in enterprise-capacity storage solutions, Western Digital today announced the industry's highest capacity HDD, the 15 TB Ultrastar DC HC620 host-managed SMR HDD. The Ultrastar DC HC620 delivers an unprecedented capacity point with a time-to-market advantage for customers who have invested in, and continue to take advantage of the benefits of SMR.

"With data continuing to grow at unprecedented rates, many hyperscale and cloud storage customers know that their workloads trend toward data that is written sequentially. In these instances, customers are optimizing their infrastructures with the lowest TCO and the maximum capacity," said Eyal Bek, vice president of product marketing, Western Digital. "By capitalizing on our highest-capacity SMR storage solutions, our customers' investment can not only be fully leveraged today, but for subsequent generations of SMR areal density improvements for continued infrastructure optimization."

"With data continuing to grow at unprecedented rates, many hyperscale and cloud storage customers know that their workloads trend toward data that is written sequentially. In these instances, customers are optimizing their infrastructures with the lowest TCO and the maximum capacity," said Eyal Bek, vice president of product marketing, Western Digital. "By capitalizing on our highest-capacity SMR storage solutions, our customers' investment can not only be fully leveraged today, but for subsequent generations of SMR areal density improvements for continued infrastructure optimization."

Setting a new bar for TCO, the Ultrastar 15TB host-managed SMR HDD is well positioned for hyperscale cloud and traditional data center workloads, including large video surveillance "smart city" initiatives, storage for regulatory compliance and Big Data storage. Enabling the world's densest server and storage systems, incorporating 15 TB HDDs allows a fully populated 4U60 HDD enclosure to reach a raw storage capacity of 900 TB, which is an additional 60 TB per 4U rack in the same footprint compared to those utilizing 14 TB HDDs. In an at-scale environment where floor space, $/TB, TB per square foot, or watts per terabyte are critical, this TCO savings can be significant.

Based on the company's proven HelioSeal platform, and as an extension to the industry's first 14 TB SMR HDD family, the 15TB enterprise-class Ultrastar DC HC620 host-managed SMR HDD reflects another industry first, continuing the company's tradition of delivering the highest capacity enterprise-class HDDs in the market. Western Digital is currently shipping Ultrastar DC HC620 qualification samples to select customers with broader availability later this quarter.

The new Ultrastar DC HC620 HDD further expands Western Digital's broad range of enterprise-class storage solutions, which include high-performance NVMe SSD devices, innovative HelioSeal enterprise-class hard disk drives as well as SAS and SATA SSDs. The company's data center systems include its ActiveScale , IntelliFlash , OpenFlex , and Ultrastar storage servers and platforms.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

No thanks. I would rather lose 1TB and go with 14TB PMR drive than deal with higher capacity shingled SMR drive.
Also i can't fathom why WD has yet to release any consumer 14TB or even 12TB drives. Ok so they have one Purple series 12TB but that's it. The rest are all server drives including one Gold and rest HGST DC variants.

Meanwhile competitor Seagate has 14TB consumer drives using PMR.

System Name 1080rig
Processor fx-8300
Motherboard MSI 970A
Cooling 212 evo
Memory 16GB ddr3
Video Card(s) MSI RX 470 gamingX (the lable says "gaming".. so it must be good)
Storage SSD 525GB x2 Crucial MX300
Display(s) 1080@60 :(
Case Fractal Core 3300
Power Supply Bequiet Straight Power 600w
Benchmark Scores I benchpress 225 (in gigahertz)
No thanks. I would rather lose 1TB and go with 14TB PMR drive than deal with higher capacity shingled SMR drive.
Also i can't fathom why WD has yet to release any consumer 14TB or even 12TB drives. Ok so they have one Purple series 12TB but that's it. The rest are all server drives including one Gold and rest HGST DC variants.

what is you need 90TB of space? will you go with 6 of these or 90 of 1 TB's?

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
Yeah, I probably wouldn't buy anything larger then the WD 8TB and 10TB Red drives for my use case. It's a bit curious that there are no WD 12TB and 14TB Red drives.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

I know right. WD has been irritating me lately. The punks are holding out on us. It's a good thing they have my firm loyalty with reliability proven over many years.

Processor Haswell-E - i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz
Motherboard ASUS X99S
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Palit Super JetStream 980Ti
Storage SSD: 512GB [Crucial MX100] HDD: 34TB [4 x 6TB WD Blue, 2 x 5TB Seagate External]
Display(s) Acer ProDesigner BM320 4K
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Corsair RM750x