• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nadella Announces Xbox Game Pass, 'Microsoft's Netflix of Video Games', Is Coming to PC

Microsoft launched Xbox Game Pass in June 2017. This video game subscription service allows users to install and play Xbox games (not just Xbox One ones, there are titles from the Xbox 360 and even the original Xbox) , with over 230 games currently available, a number that is constantly growing. Often called 'The Netflix of video games', the service has been improving its offering, but now the project will go beyond it's initial focus. Satya Nadella, Microsoft CEO, announced during an investor meeting that Xbox Game Pass will come to PCs soon.

Nadella gave no further details, so we still don't know what games will be included on that service or the subscription price (currently $9.99/month), but the announcement is promising and another sign that the company is moving forward to expand their reach and, of course, their earnings. On the latest earnings release (FY19 Q1) Microsoft pointed out how gaming revenue "increased 44% with Xbox software and services revenue growth of 36% mainly from third-party title strength". This move could make that growth go even higher, and it joins other recent announcements that could improve Microsoft's role in this market.

Lately we've seen at least two smart moves from Redmond. The first one, the mouse and keyboard support for the Xbox One. This feature will arrive soon and will allow players to take advantage of these peripherals though there are critical voices that warn about an unfair situation for 'classic' gamers. The second, Microsoft effort to gave users an optional cross-play experience. The Play Anywhere titles allow Windows 10 PC and Xbox One players to enjoy online matches together amongst other things. Initiatives such the one led by Fornite's global cross-play (even Sony had to surrender) make the future look really interesting: players will play with (or against) other players on different platforms, with developers hopefully adjusting matchmaking to avoid unfair matches unless the players explicitly choose to go that way.

Xbox Game Pass won't be the only option on the market: Origin Access is an existing alternative that includes over 50 Electronic Arts games (there's an Xbox One version called EA Access), but we have also the elephant in the room: Steam, which doesn't have a subscription model and according to some people, won't ever have. Microsoft has some advantages on his strategy, but the problem for Microsoft could be not what they have on their game catalog, but precisely what they don't have. We'll have to wait and see if that version of Xbox Game Pass -the name should change, we guess- goes beyond what its current console service has gone, but the idea seems at least promising.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
I think i'll give this a............ pass

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The problem here is competition. For it to truly be Netflix of games, all publishers would need to unite and have one flat fee a month, say $29.99 per month, and it basically would apply to any game for any company, and whichever games get downloaded most, get a certain percentage, I think that is how Netflix sort of works, if your show doesn't get watched, you lose out on extra revenues. This will never happen. So we will be stuck with ten different game passes, Origin already has two... a premier and normal... and consumers just don't want to deal with that sort of convoluted non-sense.

Hard pass.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
The problem here is competition. For it to truly be Netflix of games, all publishers would need to unite and have one flat fee a month, say $29.99 per month, and it basically would apply to any game for any company, and whichever games get downloaded most, get a certain percentage, I think that is how Netflix sort of works, if your show doesn't get watched, you lose out on extra revenues. This will never happen. So we will be stuck with ten different game passes, Origin already has two... a premier and normal... and consumers just don't want to deal with that sort of convoluted non-sense.

Hard pass.
Yeah but that is not how it works , Netflix buy and make shows so do amazon ,sky and others ,so the bit where devs and producers unite didn't happen and each has shows no other has , so same again , tut.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Yeah but that is not how it works , Netflix buy and make shows so do amazon ,sky and others ,so the bit where devs and producers unite didn't happen and each has shows no other has , so same again , tut.

Good point, Netflix is very dominant and unifying though in the industry, generally speaking, CBS, NBC, ABC, National Geo, lot of major shows come in under the umbrella of Netflix, simply because Netflix is the key provider for it all. If people had to sub to each company, it probably would have all failed.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Good point, Netflix is very dominant and unifying though in the industry, generally speaking, CBS, NBC, ABC, National Geo, lot of major shows come in under the umbrella of Netflix, simply because Netflix is the key provider for it all. If people had to sub to each company, it probably would have all failed.
Well there is the opinion they did right here , marvel and Disney will be behind a separate paywall too soon.
In the Uk every man would argue it's rubbish since they have all completely ruined football by never showing a whole competition on a channel despite them all paying for there bit, it's total garbage.
Any providor of entertainment you pick cannot show you all of whqt you want here.
And they're just doing the same to games imho.
Im not into it.

Processor AMD 5900X
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax
Cooling Swiftech Apogee Drive 2
Memory GSkill Trident Z F4-4266C17D-32GTZRB
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3800FE (Byski WB)
Storage WD Black SN750 NVME
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case NCASE M1 (1st edition)
Power Supply Corsair SM600
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux

Get ready because it's possibly on it way to happening. With Disney going solo and pulling Disney and Marvel stuff from Netflix, as well as Fox already pulling all of their content, these services/studios need to rely on original content.

Thats whats interesting about game pass. MS buying all of these independent studios, they're loading up on their content to be able to deliver a lot of good games (if these good games ever show up) without worry about others breaking off and going solo.

I'm interested in game pass. Especially if they do a PC/Xbox combo price. However, I'll be curious what the PC version will bring?

System Name Bruh
Processor 10700K 5.3Ghz 1.35v| i7 7920HQ 3.6Ghz -180Mv |
Motherboard Z490 TUF Wifi | Apple QMS180 |
Cooling EVGA 360MM | Laptop HS |
Memory DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | LPDDR3 16GB 2133Mhz CL20 |
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix 3080 (2100Mhz/18Ghz)|Radeon Pro 560 (1150Mhz/1655Mhz)|
Storage Many SSDs, ~24TB HDD/8TB SSD
Display(s) S2719DGF, HP Z27i, Z24n| 1800P 15.4" + ZR30W + iPad Pro 10.5 2017
Case NR600 | MBP 2017 15" Silver | MSI GE62VR | Elite 120 Advanced
Audio Device(s) Lol imagine caring about audio
Power Supply 850GQ | Apple 87W USB-C |
Mouse Whatever I have on hand + trackpads (Lanchead TE)
Keyboard HyperX Origins Alloy idk
Software W10 20H2|W10 1903 LTSC/MacOS 11
Benchmark Scores No.
Games that are cross platfrom (Sea of thieves is one) already work through xbox game pass funnily enough. I have a XB1X with game pass and all games that I get through game pass that are PC compatible can be downloaded

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Get ready because it's possibly on it way to happening. With Disney going solo and pulling Disney and Marvel stuff from Netflix, as well as Fox already pulling all of their content, these services/studios need to rely on original content.

Thats whats interesting about game pass. MS buying all of these independent studios, they're loading up on their content to be able to deliver a lot of good games (if these good games ever show up) without worry about others breaking off and going solo.

I'm interested in game pass. Especially if they do a PC/Xbox combo price. However, I'll be curious what the PC version will bring?

and they will soon find out they will lose money by doing that, because majority of people will stay with netflix anyway. thats why netflix original content has been invested in so heavily / won over large crowds = Netflix is a titan, i will be very impressed if "Fox Nation" streaming service makes them more money than just making deals with netflix, lol

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I really wonder if this cloud gaming BS will ever take off. Not very confident that it will.

and they will soon find out they will lose money by doing that, because majority of people will stay with netflix anyway. thats why netflix original content has been invested in so heavily / won over large crowds = Netflix is a titan, i will be very impressed if "Fox Nation" streaming service makes them more money than just making deals with netflix, lol

I do think there is space for more players than just Netflix. One of those you cannot discount is the national broadcasting that is also moving to premium services for very specific content. In NL, you can get NPO Plus which is there for content with a bit more depth - documentaries and the like. Even in terms of price, Netflix is rather cheap and there is definitely 'space' for one or two more of those services, if that would mean I could completely toss out cable TV.

So even something like Fox can do its own bit of content and still make lucrative Netflix deals on other stuff. The problem is making that switch, because you can't just cut out all the regular broadcasting from one day to the other, and doing it gradually keeps the content available in multiple places. So what we get is ever more advertising on cable, everything to annoy the shit out of you while you're watching it.

When it comes to content providers, honestly, these problems will never cease until everyone can bring their own content under a single, independent storefront where each publisher is a shareholder. Thát would be a vehicle that would work for on-demand gaming too, and it create a completely different world where the only thing that matters is quality of content, instead of forced exclusives and uninteresting paywalled services.

Last edited:
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
So they want you to play a laggy youtube? What is this? They let you play shoddy ports that I never played to begin with?

Nah, I'm good.

System Name N/A
Processor Intel Core i5 3570
Motherboard Gigabyte B75
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper TX3
Memory 12 GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Z RTX 2060
Storage SSD
Display(s) Samsung 4K HDR 60 Hz TV
Case Eagle Warrior Gaming
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Coolermaster Elite 460W
Mouse Vorago KM500
Keyboard Vorago KM500
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores N/A
I think it is a great idea, but it will take some years to take off like in Netflix, nowadays most people don't have cable anymore, they pay Netflix instead, but this was not the case at launch.

Netflix started with 2 o 3 series and a catalog of third-party content. Nowadays they have been retiring very slowly most of the third-party content, since now then have a huge in-house catalog.

This is what is need to be done in PC, start with a good third-party catalog of games and after some years push Microsoft games until they are more than the others, all that from a business point of view (some consumers will always want to play games from other publishers).

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I really wonder if this cloud gaming BS will ever take off. Not very confident that it will.

I honestly think there's a market for it. We stream everything else, why not games? Provided it works for the game, it probably won't work for twitch shooters and whatever, but like Assassins Creed and your Bethsoft games and GT Autos and whatever? Sure.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10

Hard pass.
Netflix itself is being bastardized by publishers as they wish. Many movies have been available on Netflix over time that are now nowhere to be found. Publishers work on their own streaming services and when they launch those, they'll pull their stuff from Netflix just to increase revenue.
$10 a month for this might be a good deal. I mean, even if you don't play anything, it's like you've bought two games a year that you didn't like. And you're bound to do better than that with so many titles available.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Netflix itself is being bastardized by publishers as they wish. Many movies have been available on Netflix over time that are now nowhere to be found. Publishers work on their own streaming services and when they launch those, they'll pull their stuff from Netflix just to increase revenue.
$10 a month for this might be a good deal. I mean, even if you don't play anything, it's like you've bought two games a year that you didn't like. And you're bound to do better than that with so many titles available.

The average consumer just won't bother with it imo, but time will tell. FOX Nation launches Nov 27th. lets see how long it lasts. ten bucks says im quoting this post in 6 months saying Fox nation is closing down due to low subs lol

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
So they want you to play a laggy youtube? What is this? They let you play shoddy ports that I never played to begin with?

Nah, I'm good.

Microsoft are the least guilty of shoddy ports. I mean, Forza is one of the rare games that I can run on a Vega @4K with good framerates. There are games from others devs from 2011 that can't even do that.

edit: For the record, I'm totally against any kind of "streaming" of games. But a pass is cool, I guess. Not my thing, but maybe it holds some value.

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X [3.7GHz/4.6GHz][6C/12T]
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO [X570]
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB [DDR4 3600][2x16GB][16-19-19-39@1.35V]
Video Card(s) ASUS KO GeForce RTX 3060 Ti V2 OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 [511.65]
Storage [OS] Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | [Storage] 980 1TB | 860 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850 [27"][2560x1440@144Hz][Nano IPS][LED][G-SYNC Compatible][DP]
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC S1200A High Definition Audio CODEC
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+ [+12V: 83.3A 999.6W][80 Plus Gold]
Mouse Logitech M570 Trackball
Keyboard Corsair Gaming K55 RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro [21H1][64-bit]
I figured they would bring their streaming platform to PC when they didn't announce a Halo port at E3, I'm also not surprised their merging it with Game Pass.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
The average consumer just won't bother with it imo, but time will tell. FOX Nation launches Nov 27th. lets see how long it lasts. ten bucks says im quoting this post in 6 months saying Fox nation is closing down due to low subs lol
Not sure which "it" you're referring to. If you're talking about publishers' own broadcast service, I don't think they'll take off either. Still, the worse they do, the more the publishers will pull from Netflix trying to keep them afloat. And if you're talking about Microsoft's subscription, I'm not into consoles or their app store, so i really wouldn't know.

Processor Intel core i5 4590s
Motherboard Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
Cooling Evercool EC115A 915SP Cpu cooler,Coolermaster [200mm (front and top)+140mm rear]
Memory Corsair 16GB(4x4) ddr3 CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9(Ver8.16)(XMP)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G
Storage Western Digital WDC WD2001FAS 2TB Black, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB
Display(s) LG Flatron L177WSB
Case Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer
Audio Device(s) Creative A550 Speakers 5.1 channel
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex 2 Gold 650W SF-650F14EG
Mouse PLNK M-740 Optical Mouse
Keyboard ibuypower GKB100 Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Sp1 64 bit
then they just turn off the service one day and you've been had because you would have only paid for access to experience the game and not for the actual game itself...so no thanks

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
then they just turn off the service one day and you've been had because you would have only paid for access to experience the game and not for the actual game itself...so no thanks
That problem has been solved for years. How many games you (think you) own can still run if you loose Internet connectivity or their servers go offline?

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
That problem has been solved for years. How many games you (think you) own can still run if you loose Internet connectivity or their servers go offline?

Every GOG title and about 3/4th of my Steam library. And the list of offline games isnt dwindling either. Rather, old stuff gets remastered... as a new offline, single player experience.

In fact you could say that streaming is specifically more suited to single player games because they lack competitive requirements. Ironically...

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Every GOG title and about 3/4th of my Steam library. And the list of offline games isnt dwindling either. Rather, old stuff gets remastered... as a new offline, single player experience.

In fact you could say that streaming is specifically more suited to single player games because they lack competitive requirements. Ironically...
You've described my game collection rather well ;)
Still, new titles (and especially AAA titles) aren't like that.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R