• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Expands 2nd Generation Ryzen Threadripper Desktop Processor Line-up, Powering Ultimate Computing Experiences, Available Today From $649

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
[Editor's Note: Our review of the Ryzen Threadripper 2920X is out already, and that of the Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX will follow soon after.]

Today, AMD announced availability of two additional 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper processor models, 2970WX with 24 cores and 48 threads and the Ryzen Threadripper 2920X with 12 cores and 24 threads. The Ryzen Threadripper WX series commands class-leading core counts, purpose-built for prosumers focused on raw computational power for the heaviest workloads. In turn, Ryzen Threadripper X series provides enthusiasts, gamers, and streamers high performance with a beautiful and smooth gaming experience based on higher base and boost processor clock speeds than the previous generation.

"The dramatic transformation in the HEDT and overall PC market is driven by AMD leadership and innovation, and the AMD Ryzen Threadripper family is central to this global excitement," said Saeid Moshkelani, senior vice president and general manager, Client Compute, AMD. "We are expanding this excitement while also ensuring the HEDT market remains accessible to a broader range of creators and gamers with two new Threadripper processors that start at $649."

Powerhouse for Gaming & Creating
The 24 core/48 thread Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX processor and the 12 core/24 thread Ryzen Threadripper 2920X processor offer unprecedented multi-threading with up to 39% and 55% faster multi-threaded performance compared to the Core i9-7960X and Core i7-7820X respectively. Ryzen Threadripper 2920X also offers simultaneous 4K gaming and 4K30 at 40,000 Kilobit per second (Kbps) encoding, so gamers can stream their gameplay smoothly.

Both the 2970WX and 2920X processors offer up to 32% faster performance in ray-tracing, and 60% faster encryption for creators compared to the Core i9-7960X and Core i7-7820X respectively.

New Features and Holiday Bundles
Designed specifically for Ryzen Threadripper WX processors, a key new feature is Dynamic Local Mode (DLM) software, which optimizes application performance by ensuring the most demanding threads always receive preferential time on cores with local memory. This feature is automatically configured by downloading AMD Ryzen Master on Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX or 2970WX systems. Without requiring any user input, Dynamic Local Mode:
  • measures CPU time of active threads;
  • ranks active threads from most to least demanding;
  • automatically migrates the most demanding threads to dies with local memory access;
  • accelerates lightly-threaded and latency sensitive apps without impact to heavy multi-threaded tasks.

When enabled, Dynamic Local Mode results in an average of 15 percent additional performance for Ryzen Threadripper WX Series CPUs in select applications, including the SPECwpc benchmark and games like PUBG , Far Cry 5, and Alien: Isolation . AMD also plans to open the feature up to even more users by including Dynamic Local Mode as a default package in forthcoming updates to AMD chipset drivers.

All 2nd Gen Ryzen Threadripper CPUs are supported by a full ecosystem of exciting new motherboards as well as existing X399 platforms with a simple BIOS update, with designs already available from top motherboard manufacturers including ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI. During the holiday 2018 period, these motherboard manufacturers are offering bundles starting from $199 when paired with Ryzen Threadripper CPUs. For more information on bundle programs, please visit the motherboard manufacturers' websites.

Both the 24 core/48 thread Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX and 12 core/24 thread 2920X models are available today from global retailers. Exciting pre-built SI systems are available from various global partners, and a complete list of participating partners, retailers, and launch information can be found at https://www.amd.com/en/where-to-buy/threadripper-systems.

Alienware Area-51 Threadripper Edition systems will now offer the 2nd Gen Ryzen Threadripper Edition processors. The new Alienware Area-51 with its iconic design will now include AMD's powerful 16-core Ryzen Threadripper 2950X and 12-core Ryzen Threadripper 2920X. In addition, Alienware will expand their Area 51 R7 portfolio to include the 8-core Ryzen Threadripper 1900X.

"The partnership with AMD continues to thrive with the inclusion of the 2nd Gen Ryzen Threadripper CPU in our 12 and 16-core Alienware Area-51, our flagship Alienware desktop built for exceptional gaming performance with mega-tasking capabilities," said Frank Azor, Vice President and General Manager, Alienware, G Series, and XPS. "Following the success of the original AMD Threadripper edition, the 2nd Gen Ryzen Threadripper will continue to allow our community to game, stream and create with the performance and quality the Alienware brand represents."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
It's an excellent time to start selling all of my toys and build a new workstation.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Actually, it's already launched, It launched quite a while ago.
Sry. Re-edited my post: didn't keep up with news as close as I wanted. 2990WX barely started to appear in my area.
Though, the price is almost doubled comparing to US MSRP.... Gotta ask my relatives to send one over (or maybe wait for 16-core AM4 piece, cause I already have all other parts for a build).

BTW, Phoronix already has reviews:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-2920x-2970wx&num=1

D

Deleted member 178884

Though, the price is almost doubled comparing to US MSRP.... Gotta ask my relatives to send one over (or maybe wait for 16-core AM4 piece, cause I already have all other parts for a build).
Depends on your workload - Do you NEED the pci lanes? The more expensive motherboards? Threadripper is amazing, but if you can't utilize the core count it's not worth it - As for the am4 having 16 cores, that's speculation, I personally see the next HCC ryzen being a 12 core unit using 2 6 core ccx modules on 7nm, which will be around 2020, That would be your best bet since it'll be a tank in gaming and productivity.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
, I personally see the next HCC ryzen being a 12 core unit using 2 6 core ccx modules on 7nm, which will be around 2020, That would be your best bet since it'll be a tank in gaming and productivity.
I think when it comes to gaming, I'm still happy with my i3+GTX1060 rig ))
Just need a workstation capable of running 4-5 VMs (4c/8t each) to simulate our network, so I can tweak and adjust things faster and with no risk. I can build a bunch of cheap PCs to do it, but that's just a pain in the ass that will occupy half of my workspace.
Plus it'll be the first HEDT machine I'm gonna build since LGA1366

D

Deleted member 178884

Just need a workstation capable of running 4-5 VMs (4c/8t each) to simulate our network, so I can tweak and adjust things faster and with no risk. I can build a bunch of cheap PCs to do it, but that's just a pain in the ass that will occupy half of my workspace.
Awesome, sounds like you'll need those cores haha.

System Name BlackDragon
Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard MSI Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Silverstone RGB 240 AIO
Memory 32 gb 3200 Corsair vengence pro DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus Vega 56 OC edition 8gb
Storage 2x 512gb NVME m.2 plus 4x SSD's
Display(s) 29WK600 Ultrawide screen DP to DP
Case NZXT 630 phantom case
Audio Device(s) Onboard 1220 Realtek with Nahimic support
Power Supply 700Watt Cooler master
Mouse Generic gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G19s gaming keyboard
Software Win 10 (20H2)
I see no 5ghz+ CPUs yet you would think with this 2nd gen Threadripper it would have 5+ghz core speeds but no AMD are playing safe as usual.

D

Deleted member 178884

I see no 5ghz+ CPUs yet you would think with this 2nd gen Threadripper it would have 5+ghz core speeds but no AMD are playing safe as usual.
Wrong thread kid? This is a productivity cpu suited to using tons of cores, not single threaded workloads- Clock speeds aren't everything and don't magically improve between generations it's the architecture that's the most important.

System Name BlackDragon
Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard MSI Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Silverstone RGB 240 AIO
Memory 32 gb 3200 Corsair vengence pro DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus Vega 56 OC edition 8gb
Storage 2x 512gb NVME m.2 plus 4x SSD's
Display(s) 29WK600 Ultrawide screen DP to DP
Case NZXT 630 phantom case
Audio Device(s) Onboard 1220 Realtek with Nahimic support
Power Supply 700Watt Cooler master
Mouse Generic gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G19s gaming keyboard
Software Win 10 (20H2)
If so why do we see people overclocking with LN2 and posting the results or is this all for show, Yeah it does improve between generation as technology grows so does the need for speed as in processing mathematical equations that take up CPU time so if you have a fast multi core then the equations is done faster which saves money and time in developing new medicines and technology.

The architecture has never changed sine the first 286 and 186 CPUs with the addition of 64bit processing which only happened around 30yrs ago with ARM CPUs.

Take a look at the old Apple systems far more advance in there time than the X86 systems of that era the forefront of modern CPUs is the FX range from AMD with its new layer strata

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
The architecture has never changed sine the first 286 and 186 CPUs with the addition of 64bit processing which only happened around 30yrs ago with ARM CPUs.
:) Think you ment to say AMD ARM have only done 64 bit since >2015

D

Deleted member 178884

If so why do we see people overclocking with LN2 and posting the results or is this all for show, Yeah it does improve between generation as technology grows so does the need for speed as in processing mathematical equations that take up CPU time so if you have a fast multi core then the equations is done faster which saves money and time in developing new medicines and technology.
Your confused, Between generations the performance doesn't move from clock speeds, your whining about it not being 5ghz+, are you an intel fanboy by any chance? And don't use "FX" as an example, it's a pile of crap.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Take a look at the old Apple systems far more advance in there time than the X86 systems of that era

Apple gave up on their Motorola Risc Processor because they hit the performance wall.
That's why they went Intel

Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
Introduction of Dynamic Local Mode is the best thing AMD has done for their WX lineup. This should be a standard features build in OS itself when handling this many cores.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12S
Memory 32GB @ 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT
Storage WD Black SN850(1TB), WD Black NVMe 2018(500GB), WD Blue SATA(2TB)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G9
Case Be Quiet! Silent Base 802
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME-GX-1000

These are Zen+ Threadrippers, not Zen 2, and are limited by the 12nm process they're fabricated on. Additionally, you can't buy a 5+ghz 12+ core CPU anywhere, they don't exist.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
I like that boost clock on the TR 2950X of 4.4 GHz. That is pretty good clock speed for AMD right now. I have high hopes for the Ryzen 3K series now.