• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales Falls Short of Initial Sales Expectations

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Swordplay? Janky.
That's like 99% of the gameplay. It's unforgiving, not "janky." Think Dark Souls but more sane.

Stepping up on a 1 inch step? Nope. Go around to a gentle slope, Geralt, steps are for sissies.
That's not a problem unique to Witcher. It's an engine issue involving step size, clipping and limiting the player to the game world. I don't recall running into that issue in Witcher but even if it is present, it's a bug, not a gameplay feature.

Impossible to master crossbow? Check.
The crossbow only exists for one reason in that game: make flying enemies land.

It was the well-written and rich narrative with great dialogue and choices that made the games great.
It was that too but remember the original Witcher game was a market failure because the gameplay sucked (long load times, bad translations, poor animations, etc.). They had to create the Enhanced Edition (fixing or improving just about everything) in order to make the game profitable.

Last edited:
System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
That's like 99% of the gameplay. It's unforgiving, not "janky." Think Dark Souls but more sane.

That's not a problem unique to Witcher. It's an engine issue involving step size, clipping and limiting the player to the game world. I don't recall running into that issue in Witcher but even if it is present, it's a bug, not a gameplay feature.

The crossbow only exists for one reason in that game: make flying enemies land.

It was that too but remember the original Witcher game was a market failure because the gameplay sucked (long load times, bad translations, poor animations, etc.). They had to create the Enhanced Edition (fixing or improving just about everything) in order to make the game profitable.
Gameplay and narrative are intrinsically linked, and can't be separated no matter how much people like to try to do so. Either has the power to break immersion, make flow impossible, and ruin the feeling of play, which is why both need a minimum level of quality for the game to work (that doesn't mean they need to be equal, of course, as great gameplay can make you forget a clichéd story or a great story can make you forgive janky gameplay - but if one is shit, the other suffers for it).

The link lies in the game world - the game world is fictional, and thus a narrative element (as in: it tells us a lot about the game and its setting, and changing it would fundamentally change the feel of the game), and the world is what provides the player with the potential for agency, without which there would be no game. In other words, even on the most fundamental level you can't separate narrative/fiction from gameplay. In games, they're part of the same whole.

Personally, I found TW3 to have an engaging and beautifully rendered world, a clichéd but okay story (but with horribly boring characters), and somewhat janky gameplay. Thanks to nothing being terrible, it stayed on the "good" side, but that was in large part due to world-building and neither concrete narrative nor gameplay.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I don't think they're milking this or anything - I mean it's been 3.5 years since the last game in the series. I just think the lower sales are two-fold - a.) it was on GOG initially and not Steam which limited the # of people who even knew it was out there and b.) the style of game isn't going to be as exciting as W2 or W3, so some people are probably turned off by that. I'll pick it up on Steam once I finish some other games I have in progress.

I firmly fall under point #2 and because of that, I have zero interest in this title.

I am all for sequels, prequels, spin-offs, inspired by, based, on etc etc titles, but the game looks like bunk.

D

Deleted member 177333

I firmly fall under point #2 and because of that, I have zero interest in this title.

I am all for sequels, prequels, spin-offs, inspired by, based, on etc etc titles, but the game looks like bunk.

I will find out in a month or so. :) I've read it has good RPG elements and story - my expectations aren't high when it comes to graphics, etc. I know it's a card type game. I'm still hopeful that they'll do another Witcher game that's like W3, just with a new character.