• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Thinks It's a Good Idea to Mine Cryptocurrencies When Your GPU Is Idle, Partners with Quantumcloud

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Wow. The level of irrational ASUS anger in here is incredible. It’s optional to install this and use it. ASUS merely says they will encourage this use.

System Name Dell Dimension P120
Processor Intel Pentium 120 MHz 60Mhz FSB
Motherboard Dell Pentium
Memory 24 MB EDO
Video Card(s) Matrox Millennium 2MB
Storage 1 GB EIDE HDD
Display(s) Dell 15 inch crt
Case Dell Dimension
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster
Mouse Microsoft mouse, no scroll wheel
Keyboard Dell 1995
Software Windows 95 + Office 95
yes! lets all buy Asus overpriced gpus to make ourselves some imaginary money

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Posted it before, but just too appropriate:

Bitcoin dead 326 times and counting... this time it's different...

https://99bitcoins.com/obituary-stats/

Even has death events filtered by year.

That's too funny, pundits on both sides all the time. It seems they just like to throw out random predictions in case they're right one of those times, then shout "I told you so!"

At this time, if ASUS paid my power bill, I might just agree with them.

D

Deleted member 158293

That's too funny, pundits on both sides all the time. It seems they just like to throw out random predictions in case they're right one of those times, then shout "I told you so!"

At this time, if ASUS paid my power bill, I might just agree with them.

Well... there's a lot of vested financial interest to see bitcoin fail. A lot of organizations could stand to lose a lot of money. Bitcoin isn't owned by any central organization, so there is no marketing or promotion budgets. The macro economics & implications are quite complexe and only really started to be fully understood in the last couple years beyond using it just as a non-corporate replacement to paypal which bitcoin can do, but isn't especially suited for.

Bitcoin is also getting close to Mastercard in daily global transaction value, if not quantity.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Well... there's a lot of vested financial interest to see bitcoin fail. A lot of organizations could stand to lose a lot of money. Bitcoin isn't owned by any central organization, so there is no marketing or promotion budgets. The macro economics & implications are quite complexe and only really started to be fully understood in the last couple years beyond using it just as a non-corporate replacement to paypal which bitcoin can do, but isn't especially suited for.

Bitcoin is also getting close to Mastercard in daily global transaction value, if not quantity.

Advantages of Crypto aside, If you've ever followed equities (stocks), you'll see the same type of speculation. Look at Micron ticker: MU

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I missed that. Laundering money.... hahahawtfbbqsos?

Some people dont like this, i get it. But maybe understanding it with a bit more depth would be good. :)

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
I missed that. Laundering money.... hahahawtfbbqsos?

Some people dont like this, i get it. But maybe understanding it with a bit more depth would be good. :)

If we look at Bitcoin specifically, a majority of the coins were mined essentially for free before the general public even had a stab at it. It's more accurate to say it's the most sophisticated technological get-rich-quick scheme we've ever seen. As it stands, I have yet to hear a single good argument for what a Bitcoin has that equates to it being valuable. Most other things have value for a specific reason, but Bitcoin has value almost entirely because people say it has value. The only argument really is that someone spent time and money (via electricity and hardware) to farm one, and that is where the value is derived. But even then, the majority of these Bitcoins were mined when it costs pennies to get each one, and now it takes days of dedicated hardware, and people have started mining alternative currencies to trade up and get them. The people who benefit the most from Bitcoins increased value are the people who created Bitcoin and started mining it earlier than anyone else.

As for laundering money, that is almost certainly one of Bitcoins most common uses. Cannot transfer money through a bank? But $10 million in Bitcoin and sell it to a second account in the country you want it in. Maybe you have to pay taxes, but when it comes to avoiding sanctions or laws it certainly makes things a lot easier than networking, agreeing to find a partner, paying a percentage to that partner, and slowly laundering the money through falsified expense reports.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I'm convinced there's a Taiwan subset of the Mafia/Triads... and they all make our computer parts.

D

Deleted member 158293

Advantages of Crypto aside, If you've ever followed equities (stocks), you'll see the same type of speculation. Look at Micron ticker: MU

Indeed. Actually, Nasdaq as a whole looks nearly identical to bitcoin's graph. Just a few years ahead.

I ask people to try to explain what happens when you give your gpu power to mining and what does bitcoin get out of it.
I dont understand what im being told and i only assume its for nothing but to get money. I want to know if it goes to a cause or it does anything at all

Atleast with folding and WCG you are specifically told how ur power is being used, and you can choose

You're being paid to help run a decentralized payment network. It would be like if Venmo paid you to have your gaming pc process transactions for them instead of keeping centralized servers.

There, now you know lol.