• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Synology Introduces DiskStation DS1819+ NAS

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Synology Inc. today launched DiskStation DS1819+, an 8-bay desktop NAS providing outstanding performance with great expandability, ready to grow as your business thrives. "This is a compact NAS with an expandable design that can be an ideal investment for small to medium-sized businesses, especially when capable of hosting versatile applications." Said Kevin Meng, product manager of Synology Inc. "As an updated 8-bay desktop NAS in the Plus family, DS1819+ provides a performance increase of over 57% in sequential reading compared to its predecessor, making it more than capable of being just a file server or backup target to satisfy various business requirements with its all-inclusive built-in applications."

A Scalable Storage Server with Outstanding Performance
DS1819+ incorporates the advanced technologies of Intel's new generation Atom processor, providing superior performance with great expandability, allowing the seamless expansion and upgrade to satisfy your growing business needs.
  • Processor: Intel C3538 quad-core, 2.1 GHz
  • Memory: 4GB DDR4 pre-installed, upgradable up to 32GB
  • Storage: up to 216TB raw capacity with two expansion units
  • Performance: delivering sequential throughput at over 2,045 MB/s reading and 656 MB/s writing
Fulfills Intensive Workload with PCIe Expansion
DS1819+ comes with four Gigabit Ethernet ports and one PCIe expansion slot, providing great configuration flexibility and can satisfy your intensive workload demand.
  • Supports 10GbE add-on card: to break through the data transmission bandwidth.
  • Supports M.2 SSD adapter card: to boost random IOPS with M.2 NVMe/SATA SSD cache.
  • Built-in four Gigabit Ethernet ports: support failover and Link Aggregation.
Powered by Synology DiskStation Manager
DS1819+ runs on DiskStation Manager, the advanced and intuitive operating system for Synology NAS devices, with various applications offered to enhance work productivity. Synology has received numerous media accolades, topping the mid-range NAS category in TechTarget's storage solution survey and winning PC Mag Readers' Choice eight years in a row.

For more information, visit the product page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Just checked the price at my local marketplace in Europe...

Prijs € 1.026,95

Ridiculous. It costs more than 8 x 4 TB drives which could be put in it.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
Why do they insist on using Intel Atom for the DS18XX line,......? I guess its better then ARM but not by much. I can't spend ~$1000 USD on an ARM based NAS like this. Also for what its worth the DS1815+ (which I have) was about ~$750 USD. Even that was too much but at least it wasn't ~$1000 USD.

Also why does Synology insist on using a single expansion port for either an SSD cache add in card or 10GbE. Why should the user have to choose between the two? Why not just add 10GbE to the unit so there is no need to choose between the two. Especially so when the price of the model keeps going up.

Personally I would rather spend ~$1800 USD on a QNAP TVS-1282 NAS with 12 bays and Core i3 6100 CPU if for no other reason then its ability to support both 10GbE and SSD cache at the same time. Its also a better all around product with HDMI out and 4x 2.5" drive bays. The CPU might even be upgradable not sure.

i have those 2 babies working together for a month now, talk about some serious synology power \m/
20181130_220441.jpg

Just checked the price at my local marketplace in Europe...

Prijs € 1.026,95

Ridiculous. It costs more than 8 x 4 TB drives which could be put in it.
You can put a LOT more than 8x 4TB drives into this. The official spec lists up to 8x 8TB but I would expect it can handle Seagate's 14TB IronWolf drives.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I have had a Synology system for a while now and I find their prices absolutely mental... I made my own unit up, dual core with HT, 16Gb ram and I have currently 6 x 4TB WD Reds in Raid 1 (not altogether) to which I am looking to consider upgrading the drives in it..

I can't believe they charge this much for whatever reason... I think if I add bigger drives and more of them, I'm going to consider an upgrade on the CPU (G3258) as whilst it's been amazing thus far, I think it might be better with something a little more beefy in it.

D

Deleted member 158293

Maybe Synology should charge less for the enclosure, and more as a yearly fee to support their software development which right now is free after purchasing the unit.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Synology NAS products do cost significantly. They tend to cost more then QNAP products but Synology DSM is more polished then the QNAP QTS OS. QNAP seems to be more innovative with their models and includes some truly great features for the money.

Many people assume that because Synology cost more that you are paying in part for really great customer support. After the Intel Atom C2000 series errata AVR.54, debacle I would say that Synology is probably average at best with respect to customer support and that is being generous. Extending the warranty a year for effected products still under warranty was the least they could do and wasn't IMO adequate. What about customers who had older products no longer under warranty that were effected? What about effected products that will eventually fail out of warranty after the extension lapsed? With this errata it was an issue of when it would fail not if.

IMO it called for a recall and anything less had a high potential for customers to end up with a bricked product and no support.

So I called Synology and politely pushed for an Advanced RMA on my in warranty DS1815+ and they accommodated the request. They sent me a brand new DS1815+ model manufactured early 2017 with the Intel Atom C2000 series errata AVR.54 work around / fix implemented as evident by the serial number.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
So I called Synology and politely pushed for an Advanced RMA on my in warranty DS1815+ and they accommodated the request. They sent me a brand new DS1815+ model manufactured early 2017 with the Intel Atom C2000 series errata AVR.54 work around / fix implemented as evident by the serial number.
That's excellent news / good CS. I might try calling them too, because I run two RS815+, one backing up the other, which is pretty risky on Atom C2x error.

many said:
too expensive
The hardware is pretty tidy, and if you compare it to Banana products, rather than build-you-own, the pricing is OK. The DSM software that comes with it is pretty good too. It's not just an OS, there are a lot of productivity related apps that you get for free.

yakk said:
DSM subscription yearly fee
No thanks.

Last edited:
Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
That's excellent news / good CS. I might try calling them too, because I run two RS815+, one backing up the other, which is pretty risky on Atom C2x error.
Well we disagree there.

Excellent customer service, IMO, can indeed be seen by some other manufacturers using the effected Intel Atom C2000 series SoC by actively initiating a recall. Its better to be safe then sorry and its better for a company to take no chances with their good name + market share they have worked for. Cisco understood this as well as other companies but Synology did not.

Also note that I have heard a number of reports of rejected requests for RMA. Why their requests were rejected and my request was not isn't clear.

I've also seen some RMA replacements with a really ugly workaround on the motherboard (rather then getting a new unit) but I guess its better then nothing. Apparently the addition of a pull-down resistor is all that is needed to work around the problem but that only works before the system is bricked. After the damage has been done the SoC needs to be replaced.

BTW, I too have thought about a High Availability setup necessitating two identical Synology NAS units + HDDs but I'm not sure I want to buy another Synology NAS.