• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

JOLED Announces OLED Panels for PC Monitors, Expected to Hit the Market in 2019

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Ooh, thanks. Still, Micro-LED is pretty different from nano IPS, one is an enhancement to LCD tech and the other is basically a whole new tech, kinda closer to oled(in the sense that each pixel has it's own light and can be turned on and off)

micro LED won't even be affordable / high refresh readily available until 2022, there are no factories even capable of producing it mass scale yet to my knowledge. why talk about something so far away? nano IPS already has one monitor for sale and it has great reviews / no backlight issues like older IPS variants, and personally I think the colors look better in IPS than VA, so nano IPS is probably going to be my next monitor. my hat is off to LG for bringing the improved tech so fast to market.

Asus ProArt PQ22uc was announced like.. almost a year ago. Also a 21.6in display, maybe just a coincidence (or not). I recall it was going to be super expensive as well.

Everyone had a hard-on for LG's OLED TV's when they came out too but I think Samsung's SUHD looks better.

...which is why I have a 4k SUHD monitor.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Everyone had a hard-on for LG's OLED TV's when they came out too but I think Samsung's SUHD looks better.

...which is why I have a 4k SUHD monitor.

care to link the exact monitor you own? I am curious.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
micro LED won't even be affordable / high refresh readily available until 2022, there are no factories even capable of producing it mass scale yet to my knowledge. why talk about something so far away? nano IPS already has one monitor for sale and it has great reviews / no backlight issues like older IPS variants, and personally I think the colors look better in IPS than VA, so nano IPS is probably going to be my next monitor. my hat is off to LG for bringing the improved tech so fast to market.

Nano IPS is just IPS with wider color gamut. It's basically like quantum dot; a coating filter applied to the w-led backlight to filter out certain color frequencies. You still get all the problems of IPS.

System Name Can I run it
Processor delidded i9-10900KF @ AI OC 3x5.3 10x5.1+Supercool direct die waterblock
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XII Apex 2801 BIOS
Cooling Main = GTS 360 GTX 240, EK PE 360,XSPC EX 360,2x EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 PWM, 12x T30, AC High Flow Next
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 3600@4600 16-16-16-36@1.61V+EK Monarch, Separate loop with GTS 120&Freezemod DDC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Gaming OC @ 0.85V 1950Mhz core 21Gbps mem + Barrow full cover waterblock
Storage Transcend PCIE 220S 1TB (main), WD Blue 3D NAND 250GB for OC testing, Seagate Barracuda 4TB
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 5120x1440 240Hz calibrated by X-Rite i1 Display Pro Plus
Case Thermaltake View 71
Audio Device(s) Q Acoustics M20 HD with Q Acoustics QB12
Power Supply Silverstone ST-1200 PTS 1200W 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Logitech G913 (GL Linear)
Software Windows 11
Pick your poison.
TN = gamma shift / coronas
IPS = BLB / IPS glow
VA = ghosting / coronas / black crush.
OLED = burn-in / small screen / 1080p.

For those complaining about the size, it looks like we're about to get some 8.3" and 13.3" 8K OLED screens too https://www.anandtech.com/show/13742/new-8k-oled-displays
For those that say "These are completely useless, nobody can see that detail"...

... unless the screen is 1" away from your eyes, in a very-high-end VR headset.

In that specific application, 8K oled would look absolutely gorgeous, and with the proper lens make it appear bigger than a cinema screen.
Would definitely dig such a device ! (Too bad it will probably cost as much as a small car)

~~~
As for OLED computer monitor, I'm quite sure that plenty of people will jump on them even with the risk of burn-in, because existing techs (TN/IPS/VA) are ancient already and all have significant drawbacks.
Perhaps they solved the burn-in for the average lifetime of the display (Up to 5 years)... who knows?

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Samsung,Apple and other phone/tablet sales tells otherwise. How's that possible you think 4K on 21" is a nonsens but 1080p+ on 4-10" are good? Why nobody protesting to get its 480x320 phone back? What a nonsense...
Try better - 4K phones =)

Never understood why people complain about getting better stuff or about progress in general.
There are 13" ultrabooks with 4K screens, tablets with retina displays, 2K/4K smartphones and so far everyone is happy.
Back in a day 1080p was "too much", and 16:9 widescreen was "ugly and impractical". Yet, both became the norm in a couple of years.

Also, it's a matter of individual taste and individual's perception. For example, I can tell the difference between 24-28" 2K and 4K monitors from few steps away, but I can't feel any super-noticeable difference between 60, 90, 120 or even 144Hz. Some people have it backwards - good sense of framerate, but can't see any difference past certain PPI.

4k 21,6 is indeed non sense but I have no problems with a 21,6 sized screen tbh. Altho I never really lovef 24' or 25', always seemed a bit big for me and I use it really far, as max as my desk allows.

I agree with oled concerns tho. Fanboys will deny it with the usual "I have an oled tv for 3 centuries and it never got burn in, so my situation means burn in is a myth".

But burn in is indeed still a problem as shown by rtings experiments on their website and specially on a pc monitor connected for hours with static images.
Add a screen saver, problem solved. And stop being a dinosaur by using any tech for more than 3-4 years.

System Name MacBook Pro 16"
Processor M1 Pro
Memory 16GB unified memory
Storage 1 TB
4k 21,6 is indeed non sense but I have no problems with a 21,6 sized screen tbh. Altho I never really lovef 24' or 25', always seemed a bit big for me and I use it really far, as max as my desk allows.

I agree with oled concerns tho. Fanboys will deny it with the usual "I have an oled tv for 3 centuries and it never got burn in, so my situation means burn in is a myth".

But burn in is indeed still a problem as shown by rtings experiments on their website and specially on a pc monitor connected for hours with static images.
Can we first see the monitors before talking about fanboys, I mean OLED monitors aren't out yet and we're already talking about freaking fanboys!

care to link the exact monitor you own? I am curious.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/uhd-and-wqhd/32-uh750-qled-uhd-monitor-lu32h750umnxza/

I guess they call it "QLED" now but when it first came out Samsung's quantum products were called SUHD.

QLED is backlit like a traditional LED screen but uses 10 bits per pixel rather than 8 giving you a 25% larger range of color in each pixel and darker blacks. OLED doesn't use a back-light and instead each pixel is individually "lit" allowing a greater range of color and true-blacks.

Theoretically OLED should be better but I've used both side by side and QLED looks better to me.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
[QUOTE="Blueberries, post: 3965698, member: 167159"

Theoretically OLED should be better but I've used both side by side and QLED looks better to me.[/QUOTE]

I agree. The QLED monitors looked as good as OLED to me. Samsung has a small range of QLED monitors, and I would have one on my desk right now except for one thing. They are all curved monitors and I dont like curved monitors. I dont understand why Samsung doesnt offer a standard flat screen version of QLED.

I think flat QLED monitors. would sell like hotcakes.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
the 49" QLED 4k tv is on sale with my student discount for $650, its $800 on amazon still. i am seriously considering it, but this deal will come around again, so going to wait until launch day of playstation 5 and buy both the tv and ps5 at same time, will keep the money saved until then. im still hoping sony announced fressync 2 support for ps5, so i'd like to wait and see what happens winter 2019/spring 2020 before i invest. ^^ but it does look like I will be doing QLED 4k tv when i move to playstation 5 gaming. i will get a high refresh 1440p ultrawide for pc gaming, and i already have a 240hz 1080p monitor for competitive pc gaming. and then i will have pc and playstation 5 hooked up to a nice 4k QLED tv as well for games that are limited to 60 fps i will play on tv at 4k.

I agree. The QLED monitors looked as good as OLED to me. Samsung has a small range of QLED monitors, and I would have one on my desk right now except for one thing. They are all curved monitors and I dont like curved monitors. I dont understand why Samsung doesnt offer a standard flat screen version of QLED.

The one I link is not curved, and I agree, curved screens are a gimmick. You have to be at an EXTREME angle to benefit from the curved screen and it makes no sense.

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
I am happy that some company is taking up the cause of OLED PC displays. I specifically bought my Alienware 13 R3 laptop for its OLED screen, and I still have yet to find a display with better image quality. Usually you get used to the PC monitors you own and they no longer look special after a few weeks, but I honestly still have a "wow" moment every time I switch from using my desktop PC with LCDs to the OLED laptop.

And regarding burn-in, I have had no indications of any burn-in on this laptop over the past 18 months. I have the Windows taskbar set to hide automatically as a precaution, but other than that I haven't changed any settings. Displaying a blank white screen I still see a uniform image. So I think that unless you have the monitor displaying a static image 24/7, the burn-in issue is overrated.

There isn't quite anything as WOW as an OLED screen. Between my 65" LG E7, Note 8 and the wife's XS Max I'm never not impressed with what the tech offers and the picture it can produce. Even the best IPS displays are painfully lacking. The one thing I dislike about my iPad Pro 11" is the black levels on the display and that is arguably the best IPS on the planet right now.

With LGs WOLED burn in isn't really an issue. I'm approaching 2000 hours now on the TV and there's nothing. These screens mention the use of a color filter, so I imagine they are using a similar tech (RGB OLED to produce white light then pass it through a color filter) versus direct RGB/Pentile panels which should show similar durability.

If they can produce a ~$1200 34" model, I'd be one of the first in line.

A true game changer… I can't wait to downsize to 21.6" display. So retro, I like it, NOT!!! :(

Then again if durability is still a problem why even bother? I have 23.800 hours on my HP LP2475W and still going strong.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Add a screen saver, problem solved. And stop being a dinosaur by using any tech for more than 3-4 years.

I used a lategen Panasonic plasma for a bit which is practically identical to OLED in specs minus power consumption, right down to burnin.

A screensaver will not save you. Browse the web for 4 hours, say hello to the Windows start menu pattern growing stronger every time...

There isn't quite anything as WOW as an OLED screen.

There is, but they stopped making them. Plasma screens. Amazing tech but crazy energy hungry... and could not be scaled past 1080p.

But yeah, emissive techs always look better as a general rule...

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I used a lategen Panasonic plasma for a bit which is practically identical to OLED in specs minus power consumption, right down to burnin.

A screensaver will not save you. Browse the web for 4 hours, say hello to the Windows start menu pattern growing stronger every time...

There is, but they stopped making them. Plasma screens. Amazing tech but crazy energy hungry... and could not be scaled past 1080p.

But yeah, emissive techs always look better as a general rule...

not only that, but I like to game for 4-5 hours at a time, in my younger days I even did 14 hour mad man sessions in civilization 3 when it first came out. OLED would have sucked back then for sure, lol

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
not only that, but I like to game for 4-5 hours at a time, in my younger days I even did 14 hour mad man sessions in civilization 3 when it first came out. OLED would have sucked back then for sure, lol

If there's a static pattern and it is the same level of burn in I experienced on that tech, there'll be an issue. No screen saver can save you from a static interface element you are actually using.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
[QUOTE="Blueberries, post: 3965698, member: 167159"

Theoretically OLED should be better but I've used both side by side and QLED looks better to me.

Those are just 8 bit, 3000:1 VA monitors, nothing special, not great at all. They can be very bright though, which I guess is great for well lit rooms, but with that the black levels (which VA excels at) also go higher and the end result is horrible.