• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Living on the FreeSync Side of G-SYNC: Setup Guide, Testing & Evaluation

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
It happened. Finally, after years of waiting, NVIDIA opened up its G-Sync proprietary solution to support for VESA's VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) Adaptive Sync technology - where AMD's FreeSync tech is based upon. The news came from NVIDIA's own Jensen Huang, in a market that has consistently seen its G-Sync capable monitors being sold for (at the very least) $100 more than their FreeSync-capable counterparts. The added cost came from monitor manufacturers having to source a G-Sync chip from NVIDIA, which added to the overall cost and difficulty of implementation.

However, with momentum for Adaptive Display technologies swinging ever more in favor of the open-standards approach of VESA's Adaptive Sync and AMD's royalty-free FreeSync, the market developed in a ways that made NVIDIA lose control of the ecosystem. With HDMI 2.1's implementation of the Adaptive Display standard, and Microsoft's own push for VRR and AMD FreeSync support, it seemed as if only a matter of time until NVIDIA capitulated.

And so it did, by announcing and then introducing an Adaptive Sync-capable driver in the form of their NVIDIA GeForce Graphics Drivers 417.71 WHQL. Personally I'm an AMD RX 480-user turned to NVIDIA's 1070 graphics card (TPU's own, no less; I carry it as a badge of honor), I obviously wanted to check out how well this technology worked. Even if I loved the additional performance on my FreeSync-compatible LG 29UM68P (IPS, 2560x1080 ultrawide), living without FreeSync all over again meant I had to enable V-Sync for my games, losing out on input lag and, sometimes, jerks in the frame rate as the FPS were reduced from 60 all the way down to 30.

Enabling G-Sync was straightforward enough:

First, you'll have to make sure you own a FreeSync-compatible monitor which makes use of DisplayPort's 1.2a revision. Then, you'll have to make sure your monitor is connected to your graphics card via the DisplayPort adapter, since while AMD has enabled a FreeSync adaptation for HDMI, NVIDIA doesn't and likely won't support this feature in the future.

After installing the NVIDIA GeForce Graphics Drivers 417.71 WHQL (whether via TPU's own download area or NVIDIA's GeForce Experience application), you'll have to navigate through a few menus. First, you'll want to hit your monitor's OSD (On-Screen Display) menu. This one varies greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer. Your objective here is to enable "FreeSync" or "Adaptive Sync", which should be a selectable option if you're connected via DisplayPort cable. If you do activate FreeSync, your monitor will perform a refresh as if you were changing resolution, and you'll hear Windows' notification sound for a new device being connected.

You'll then want to head to NVIDIA's Control Panel: "3D Settings", "Manage 3D Graphics Settings", and verify whether your monitor technology has been automatically changed to "G-SYNC Compatible". If so, congratulations, but we're not done yet. You now have to go to the "Display" dropdown, "Set up G-SYNC", and enable G-SYNC (I've been using the "Enable for windowed and fullscreen mode"; select your display which is being presented below, if everything has been thoroughly detected; and then on point three, "Display Specific Settings", tick the "Enable settings for the selected display model". If your monitor hasn't yet been validated, or has failed validation for some reason, you'll see a warning next to it, but you can still enable the technology. When you hit apply, your monitor will again refresh as if a resolution change had occurred. Barring some unexpected difficulties, you should now have a working NVIDIA+FreeSync monitor combo. Breathe deeply. This day has finally come.

So, now we have VRR working on our NVIDIA graphics card and FreeSync monitor. You can now fire up some games to test it, or, and I recommend this, you can try out NVIDIA's own Pendulum demo, which was released way back when as a way for users to see the difference between V-Sync, no V-Sync, and G-SYNC. It's a simple download which puts two icons on your desktop. One allows you to configure the rendering resolution, and the other launches the Pendulum demo, where you can toggle settings and framerates at your pleasure.

I recommend that you test across multiple framerate ranges, which the demo allows you to do, and remember to test your monitor within its supported FreeSync range (check with your monitor manufacturer for what exactly this range is). You can always use your choice of application (MSI's Afterburner ships with RTSS, for example) to limit your framerate towards the maximum end of your monitor's FreeSync refresh rate, which prevents frames from being delivered over the refresh capabilities of your monitor, thus breaking Active Sync.

I tested my monitor against Destiny 2, Halo SPV3, Prey, and Monster Hunter World, and never did I ever see anything out of the ordinary. Framerates were smooth and silky, much like a Dark Souls character would tell you. Happy gaming.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
So displayport 1.2 (without a) will not work? I have the Acer ET322QK and I cannot get the G-Sync option to appear in the control panel after turning on FreeSync in OSD.

System Name Red 101
Processor 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900k
Motherboard EVGA Z370 Classified
Cooling Custom Primochill and Heatkiller water cooling loop
Memory 16GB of Gskill 3200Mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 with Heatkiller block @2114Mhz
Storage 4- Samsung Evo 250GB, 1- Pro 512GB and 1-512GB M.2
Display(s) LG 38" UW
Case In Win 101 customized a lot and painted red
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
Power Supply EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdderv2
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Win10Pro and games
Benchmark Scores NA
So it is "FreeSync" and NOT "AMD FreeSync" ?

I mean if it is "Free" then it isn't titled to AMD, NVida or Intel etc.

System Name KarymidoN TitaN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570
Cooling Custom Watercooling Loop
Memory 2x Kingston FURY RGB 16gb @ 3200mhz 18-20-20-39
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8GB
Storage Kingston NV2 1TB| 4TB HDD
Display(s) 4X 1080P LG Monitors
Case Thermaltake Core V71
Power Supply Corsair TX 600
Mouse Logitech G300S
So displayport 1.2 (without a) will not work? I have the Acer ET322QK and I cannot get the G-Sync option to appear in the control panel after turning on FreeSync in OSD.

nope, and you will need GTX 1XXX+ card (no GTX 900 series support).

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11

FreeSync is a an AMD trademark, deliciously ironic... but there you go.

techblyat

What about the refresh rate?
Does enabling G-Sync on this Freesync monitor also unlock the Freesync framerate of 75hz instead of the standard 60hz?
Did you test it on 75hz?

I'm asking because I have the same monitor.

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
Does enabling G-Sync on this Freesync monitor also unlock the Freesync framerate of 75hz instead of the standard 60hz?
Did you test it on 75hz?

according to Wikipedia only 1.2a has adaptive sync. we are sol

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Did you test it on 75hz?

Not sure who you are asking? This is a news piece not a review.

techblyat

Not sure who you are asking? This is a news piece not a review.

I'm well aware this is not a review, but this is a test, so I am asking the tester if he ran it on 60hz mode, or the 75hz Freesync exclusive refresh rate (asking if it was possible to unlock the 75hz with G-sync, instead of Freesync).

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I'm well aware this is not a review, but this is a test, so I am asking the tester if he ran it on 60hz mode, or the 75hz Freesync exclusive refresh rate (asking if it was possible to unlock the 75hz with G-sync, instead of Freesync).
I would have thought he would have mentioned it as it's fairly significant, perhaps why he is recommended users that own a Gsync and an Nvidia card test themselves.

Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
I just installed the driver and G-SYNC was enabled automatically and I did not had to change any settings in nVIDIA Control Panel.

But in all reality I fail to see any difference what so ever in any of my games. They are smooth as they always were.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I just installed the driver and G-SYNC was enabled automatically and I did not had to change any settings in nVIDIA Control Panel.

But in all reality I fail to see any difference what so ever in any of my games. They are smooth as they always were.

thats because your using a Titan Xp lol... gsync and freesync was only intended to help those who can't maintain 60 fps. or to make dips when a lot of enemies come on screen be less noticeable, etc.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk Max WiFi
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO Elite + EK D5 + EK 420 Rad, TT Toughfan 140x3, TT Toughfan 120x2, Arctic slim 120
Memory 32GB GSkill DDR4-3600 (F4-3600C16-8GVKC)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900XTX Gaming OC
Storage WDBlack SN850X 4TB, Samsung 950Pro 512GB, Samsung 850EVO 500GB, 6TB WDRed, 36TB NAS, 8TB Lancache
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z (1440P 144Hz, TN, Freesync) & 2x ASUS VE248
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Topping D50S + THX AAA 789, TH-X00 w/ V-Moda Boompro; 7Hz Timeless
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Sharkoon Fireglider optical
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
FWIW a lot of this is going to depend on your monitor.

My Benq XL2730z has no OSD option for freesync/adaptive sync, but an option named "Blur Reduction" will disable the adaptive sync capabilities of the monitor all the same; that is to say that the monitor is no longer detected as supporting adaptive sync and "Set Up GSYNC" just silently does not appear in nVidia control panel, along with all other GSYNC related settings and menus. IIRC the behavior is *not* the same on the AMD side, where the monitor is still detected as supporting freesync but fails to enable with the option on. So be aware you may need to toggle other options in the OSD menu not (in name at least) related to adaptive sync.

Further, my monitor has a 144Hz refresh rate (and a 40-144Hz adaptive sync range). Enabling GSYNC with 144Hz selected as the desktop refresh rate silently fails with a black screen (interestingly, the issue seems to be on the scaler side as the OSD menu won't display either, though the monitor beeps as if responding to the menu) - lowering the desktop refresh rate to 120Hz and everything works perfectly. This is different than with an AMD card where everything works perfect no matter what refresh rate is set, so it may be a driver optimization on AMD's side for this monitor that prevents or works around a bug in the scaler, or it may be a bug in the nVidia driver sending bad signals of some kind and running the scaler out of spec. I've read of the same issue occurring with other 144Hz monitors online so that would lead me to believe its possibly an nVidia driver bug but YMMV. FWIW, after GSYNC is enabled at 120Hz, changing the desktop refresh rate back to 144Hz works.

Finally, if you simply can't get the "Set up GSYNC" option to appear in nVidia control panel no matter what you do, a full uninstall, DDU, and fresh reinstall of the driver may be in order. I had to do so in order to get my monitor detected by the nVidia driver as being an adaptive sync monitor, and reinstalling the driver was not enough - I had to go through the full best practices with DDU including running DDU in safe mode and having the network cable unplugged the whole way through until the driver was fully installed and final reboot performed before GSYNC options of any kind would show up. That *shouldn't* be related to leftovers of the AMD driver as I did run DDU to wipe out those after uninstalling the AMD driver and before installing the nVidia one when I first got my 1080Ti

System Name Chroma
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 ARGB
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12GB XLR8 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X
Storage Samsung 980 1TB, MX500 1TB, Micron 1300 1TB, PNY 2TB Gen4 XLR8 CS3140 Heatsink
Display(s) Gigabyte M28U, LG 27GL850-B
Case KRUX Thea (KRX0090)
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z SE + On-Board Realtek
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS PX-650 80Plus Platinum 650W
Mouse Logitech G305 LIGHTSPEED
Keyboard XPG Summoner RGB Cherry MX Red
System Name Chroma
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 ARGB
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12GB XLR8 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X
Storage Samsung 980 1TB, MX500 1TB, Micron 1300 1TB, PNY 2TB Gen4 XLR8 CS3140 Heatsink
Display(s) Gigabyte M28U, LG 27GL850-B
Case KRUX Thea (KRX0090)
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z SE + On-Board Realtek
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS PX-650 80Plus Platinum 650W
Mouse Logitech G305 LIGHTSPEED
Keyboard XPG Summoner RGB Cherry MX Red
ummm that is not what my comment was about. my comment was referring to his comment, "But in all reality I fail to see any difference what so ever in any of my games."
I think there are some games that runs on maxed out setting below 144FPS (it's 144Hz monitor) on Titan Xp so VRR will be useful.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
FreeSync is a an AMD trademark, deliciously ironic... but there you go.
While everyone uses FreeSync and (Displayport VESA) Adaptive-Sync interchangeably, they are not. Similarly, Nvidia technically does not support FreeSync.
Both FreeSync and GSync Compatible are VRR implementations built on Adaptive-Sync that is an optional feature of DisplayPort 1.2a and newer.

On HDMI side of things, FreeSync over HDMI is AMD's properietary solution. If I am not mistaken, Vendor Specific Extension is the technical term.

Last edited:

Chazragg

I've been running g-sync on my mg279q the past few days, used CRU to up the free sync range to 57-144 enabled it and all worked fine, only issue I have seen is on PUBG with the screen flicking to black every now and then but i believe it is because the frame rate in game is jittery but all in all not complains so far

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I had to enable V-Sync for my games, losing out on input lag and, sometimes, jerks in the frame rate as the FPS were reduced from 60 all the way down to 30.

So you managed to miss the adaptive V-Sync option all this time. Probably one of the best things Nvidia has done in the past 5 years.

Motherboard Asus Prime X570 Pro
Cooling Deepcool LS-720
Memory 32 GB (4x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT Gaming OC
Storage Samsung PM9A1 (980 Pro OEM) + 960 Evo NVMe SSD + 830 SATA SSD + Toshiba & WD HDD's
Display(s) Samsung C32HG70
Case Lian Li O11D Evo
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Zx
Power Supply Seasonic 750W Focus+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G703 Lightspeed
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro

It's AMD FreeSync or VESA Adaptive-sync, whichever you prefer.

--

Samsung C32HG70 + GTX 1060 first impressions:
- Use Ultimate Engine, Standard Engine "works" but doesn't, refresh rate seems to be stuck between 13x - 144 Hz with Standard Engine
- Use Fullscreen if possible, some normal windows apps (Adobe Connect and Skype for Business both at least did this I think) cause "blinking"
- Overwatch works fine in Fullscreen, artifacts + blinking in Borderless Windowed
- PUBG works fine with both Fullscreen & Borderless Windowed
- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice works fine at least in Fullscreen HDR-mode
- Doubles/triples (even quadruples?) Hz whenever possible (eg 40 and 60 FPS both run monitor at 120 Hz)

1547803910194.png

It gets enabled automatically at least if you have one of the "NVIDIA verified" monitors

--

Just for the sake of it:

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
It's AMD FreeSync or VESA Adaptive-sync, whichever you prefer.

Yeah, they're not the same. VESA adaptive sync is the free standard that is only defined for DP. AMD's FreeSync is both VESA adaptive sync and some (proprietary?) stuff AMD made to implement the same functionality over HDMI.
I hope that also clears up why Nvidia's implementation requires DP 1.2a.

Motherboard Asus Prime X570 Pro
Cooling Deepcool LS-720
Memory 32 GB (4x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT Gaming OC
Storage Samsung PM9A1 (980 Pro OEM) + 960 Evo NVMe SSD + 830 SATA SSD + Toshiba & WD HDD's
Display(s) Samsung C32HG70
Case Lian Li O11D Evo
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Zx
Power Supply Seasonic 750W Focus+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G703 Lightspeed
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
Yeah, they're not the same. VESA adaptive sync is the free standard that is only defined for DP. AMD's FreeSync is both VESA adaptive sync and some (proprietary?) stuff AMD made to implement the same functionality over HDMI.
I hope that also clears up why Nvidia's implementation requires DP 1.2a.
Or rather, AMD now includes HDMI-functionality under the same umbrella term, it was initially directly interchangeable with Adaptive-sync, now it's interchangeable with Adaptive-sync if we limit ourselves to DisplayPort (which NVIDIA does)

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Or rather, AMD now includes HDMI-functionality under the same umbrella term, it was initially directly interchangeable with Adaptive-sync, now it's interchangeable with Adaptive-sync if we limit ourselves to DisplayPort (which NVIDIA does)
In short, they're not interchangeable. Yes. So let's not add to the confusion.