• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CD Projekt Red Narrative Director Joins Blizzard Entertainment After Work on Cyberpunk 2077

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
This story has been going around the online media for a few hours now, with some arguably baseless speculation on the future of the hotly-anticipated Cyberpunk 2077 game added. Indeed, the facts are only that Sebastian Stępień, who has been with CD Projekt Red for over 12 years, has listed also a new job position as Creative Director for Blizzard Entertainment as of this month. He has been the Narrative and Setting Director for everyone's favorite Polish game outfit, and there is no word yet on whether he has actually quit this position, or whether there is a transition period in place wherein he will continue to be involved as necessary for Cyberpunk 2077 to go gold.

It is unlikely that such a transition period will exist, however, if only because such roles in the corporate ladder involve a physical move- especially when the companies are over an ocean apart. There is no reason to speculate that this will affect the finished product as far as the game goes, if only because the role of narration is essentially over with when this late in the development cycle. There is also speculation galore on how future DLC might get affected, which is valid, but sources in the game industry suggest that storyboards are already in place, and overall plans will not be affected much. We should be more interested in what he brings to Blizzard Entertainment, which has been sorely lacking in new IP in the past decade.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
He has fallen to the dark side :shadedshu::shadedshu:

What are they gonna do?? Make a SteamPunk style starcraft?

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Maybe this guy can fix the Diablo story line.
Here's for hoping.

That would be a complete waste of time. How many people play Diablo 'for the story'?! I think the most they get out of it is 'Stay a while and listen' only to run off into the next dungeon.

Was it even ever such a great story to begin with, I wonder. It had nice cutscenes (the old Diablos) for its time, that is what stuck with me the most. The story itself? You're some random someone and get caught up in a quest to kill demons... right? (300+ hours played...)

Honestly Blizzard sorely needs some new IP, and I really hope that's part of his job description. Diablo was actually dead and buried when they released 3 and consoleified it, there are better alternatives out now and I'm sure it'll be a smash hit on mobile devices (format is fine for simple control schemes). HotS got axed by Blizz themselves, Overwatch needs no writing and neither does Hearthstone. Starcraft is EOL. What's left?

Last edited:
That would be a complete waste of time. How many people play Diablo 'for the story'?! I think the most they get out of it is 'Stay a while and listen' only to run off into the next dungeon.

Was it even ever such a great story to begin with, I wonder. It had nice cutscenes (the old Diablos) for its time, that is what stuck with me the most. The story itself? You're some random someone and get caught up in a quest to kill demons... right? (300+ hours played...)

Honestly Blizzard sorely needs some new IP, and I really hope that's part of his job description. Diablo was actually dead and buried when they released 3, there are better alternatives out now. HotS got axed by Blizz themselves, Overwatch needs no writing and neither does Hearthstone. Starcraft is EOL. What's left?

Actually, a lot of us Diablo fans do care about the story, and your comment perfectly shows the other side of people who just can't connect with the lore.

You're not some random somebody, you are a character in a rich world with a nice background story of the place you came from. Read up on some Diablo books and lore, there's plenty (6000+ hours played...). Thousands of years of war, locations and events accrued in sanctuary since its inception by the creator.

I do agree that Blizz can use another 1-2 IPs, but there's still tons of ground to cover with its existing universes.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
That money green makes you do things.

System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
Well majority of people have price sticker on them.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
At least he could have gone to a studio that produces something worth while.

D

Deleted member 67555

Well majority of people have price sticker on them.
Mine is $17...no anal- no homo
Good for him.
No reason to continue working for a smaller publisher that makes "decent games" when you can go to a large publisher that makes "games" but pays 3x or better.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
At least he could have gone to a studio that produces something worth while.

Who knows what he'll work on - at Blizzard there is at least the chance of being part of something big. You can only do so many projects in your working life, I don't see why these people can't move around. Besides, CDPR isn't really the best employer in the world and Blizzard most certainly is a (big) step up.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
The size of the company means nothing. It is the quality of the product that means something. Isn't this the company that just relegated Diablo to mobile? I can't comment on WoW because it is not my thing. The games that they seem to churn out do not lend themselves to stories. Overwatch, WoW, etc.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
The size of the company means nothing. It is the quality of the product that means something. Isn't this the company that just relegated Diablo to mobile? I can't comment on WoW because it is not my thing. The games that they seem to churn out do not lend themselves to stories. Overwatch, WoW, etc.

WoW has some pretty damn expansive lore though. And as I was corrected apparently Diablo has that too. But WoW = Warcraft universe = seriously well fleshed out. Starcraft, for me, had the most captivating campaign (and I mean part 1) and I read ALL of the smaller background stories in the pretty nice, fat manual that you got with it. Brilliant.

If there is one overarching theme with all of Blizzards' games is that they really know how to build distinct characters for their games. Warcraft has several returning legends that everybody knows. Similar thing with Diablo - even I know them, while not caring about the story at all, and that includes some of their voice lines. Starcraft also has many very cool characters, like Raynor, Kerrigan, etc.

And even Overwatch, every hero is really quite unique and peculiar, stands out and is well developed overall. DOTA, which started its life as a mod for Warcraft 3, also eagerly used the iconic character (models) and borrows heavily from the Warcraft lore, while not copying it. It is part of its success as well.

When it comes to the actual writing I think Blizzard is a great employer.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
WoW has some pretty damn expansive lore though. And as I was corrected apparently Diablo has that too. But WoW = Warcraft universe = seriously well fleshed out. Starcraft, for me, had the most captivating campaign (and I mean part 1) and I read ALL of the smaller background stories in the pretty nice, fat manual that you got with it. Brilliant.

If there is one overarching theme with all of Blizzards' games is that they really know how to build distinct characters for their games. Warcraft has several returning legends that everybody knows. Similar thing with Diablo - even I know them, while not caring about the story at all, and that includes some of their voice lines. Starcraft also has many very cool characters, like Raynor, Kerrigan, etc.

And even Overwatch, every hero is really quite unique and peculiar, stands out and is well developed overall. DOTA, which started its life as a mod for Warcraft 3, also eagerly used the iconic character (models) and borrows heavily from the Warcraft lore, while not copying it. It is part of its success as well.

Hey, to each their own. I think he could have had a better impact at say....Bethesda.

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.

Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo is good.
I felt after D3 blizzard just made games for money, they still keep their older games alive which is great.

Not that Poland isn't nice, but there are a lot of benefits to working/living in or around Anaheim also. The only thing is on the last sentence of the article, Blizz has had Overwatch, Hearthstone, and HoTS (if you could that). So they have had some success. But when the new huge mmo that they were working for years and was supposed to be their big new IP got regurgitated into Overwatch that put a damper on things.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Blizzard is dead. They made it abundantly clear they don't care about quality. Personnel changes mean nothing. Write them off and ignore.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
That would be a complete waste of time. How many people play Diablo 'for the story'?! I think the most they get out of it is 'Stay a while and listen' only

+200%, that line reversed 15 years in a blink of an eye :)

Actually, a lot of us Diablo fans do care about the story, and your comment perfectly shows the other side of people who just can't connect with the lore.

You're not some random somebody, you are a character in a rich world with a nice background story of the place you came from. Read up on some Diablo books and lore, there's plenty (6000+ hours played...). Thousands of years of war, locations and events accrued in sanctuary since its inception by the creator.

I am sorry, but I am with @Vayra86 on this one. I started playing Diablo as weird as it sounds, because it had the best (IMO) werewolf/werebear character at the time. Of course you could shapeshift in Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's gate etc...RPGs at the time, but it wasn't the same (for me at least). Years later I actually paid attention to the cut scenes, lore, the short animation that came out, but you know what....I find it pretty shallow. It doesn't move a single string in me and I give a fuzzy rat's rectum about the character's motivation. Ask me about Dead space or Soma (for example) years after I finished the games and I can detail you what's going on for hours. I also bought the two graphic novels on Dead space. When I saw the character selection for Diablo 3, I was done. There was no werewolf, and that was it for me, I didn't care. Only when they brought back the necromanser, was the first time I would even consider Diablo 3.

Same thing about Stacraft. It is my number one, hands down game of all time for me. I have watched thousands of hours of GSL, Live championships, Day9 TV, etc.. etc...and played myself and you know what....I can't tell you a single story from the SC universe. Not a single one. Played the single player campaign multiple times as well, watched videos explaining what's going on and I didn't bother to buy a single book from the series.

Same thing with Warcraft3. If it wasn't for the movie I'd probably wouldn't be able to tell you what the orcs were fighting for. So, yeah I don't know, but Blizz aren't the brightest story-wise IMHO.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
+200%, that line reversed 15 years in a blink of an eye :)

I am sorry, but I am with @Vayra86 on this one. I started playing Diablo as weird as it sounds, because it had the best (IMO) werewolf/werebear character at the time. Of course you could shapeshift in Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's gate etc...RPGs at the time, but it wasn't the same (for me at least). Years later I actually paid attention to the cut scenes, lore, the short animation that came out, but you know what....I find it pretty shallow. It doesn't move a single string in me and I give a fuzzy rat's rectum about the character's motivation. Ask me about Dead space or Soma (for example) years after I finished the games and I can detail you what's going on for hours. I also bought the two graphic novels on Dead space. When I saw the character selection for Diablo 3, I was done. There was no werewolf, and that was it for me, I didn't care. Only when they brought back the necromanser, was the first time I would even consider Diablo 3.

Same thing about Stacraft. It is my number one, hands down game of all time for me. I have watched thousands of hours of GSL, Live championships, Day9 TV, etc.. etc...and played myself and you know what....I can't tell you a single story from the SC universe. Not a single one. Played the single player campaign multiple times as well, watched videos explaining what's going on and I didn't bother to buy a single book from the series.

Same thing with Warcraft3. If it wasn't for the movie I'd probably wouldn't be able to tell you what the orcs were fighting for. So, yeah I don't know, but Blizz aren't the brightest story-wise IMHO.

You don't remember the cutscenes from SC2? Are you crazy? Did you even play Kerrigan's campaign? Me thinks you need to watch the cutscene movie on youtube.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
You don't remember the cutscenes from SC2? Are you crazy? Did you even play Kerrigan's campaign?

Yeah I did like it, but was it as awesome in terms of plot twists and all compared to SC1? I mean that campaign was just mental, especially the way they developed Kerrigan. In SC2 she does 'more of that' but it wasn't new anymore.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
You don't remember the cutscenes from SC2? Are you crazy? Did you even play Kerrigan's campaign? Me thinks you need to watch the cutscene movie on youtube.

I didn't say I didn't remember, but I can't really tell you a complete coherent story with each character's background as you would with a book or movie that made a strong impression on you. That's just my opinion though.