• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam and THQ Nordic Issue Statements on Metro Exodus Exclusivity on Epic Games Store

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
We reported yesterday how Metro Exodus unceremoniously left Steam for a year-long exclusivity deal on the Epic Game store, one of many steps that Epic and Tencent are taking to challenge the Goliath of PC gaming storefronts itself. Valve was quick in putting out a rare statement yesterday, which has been updated since to reflect the status of the game on Steam, and it can be seen below verbatim, with THQ Nordic's take on this matter past the break.

Notice: Sales of Metro Exodus have been discontinued on Steam due to a publisher decision to make the game exclusive to another PC store. The developer and publisher have assured us that all prior sales of the game on Steam will be fulfilled on Steam, and Steam owners will be able to access the game and any future updates or DLC through Steam. We think the decision to remove the game is unfair to Steam customers, especially after a long pre-sale period. We apologize to Steam customers that were expecting it to be available for sale through the February 15th release date, but we were only recently informed of the decision and given limited time to let everyone know.

THQ Nordic, likely sensing the tide against them, put out a statement on Twitter shifting all responsibility to Koch Media GmbH, saying the latter entity owns the Metro IP, even though THQ Nordic acquired Koch Media in February last year. Take the statement below for what you will, but it does nothing to assuage those wanting the game accessible on Steam anytime soon:

The decision to publish Metro Exodus as a timed Epic Store exclusive was made entirely on Koch Media's side as Metro is their intellectual property. They are a sister company of THQ Nordic (Vienna), which is the reason why we can and will not comment on this matter. We do not want to categorically exclude the possibility of timed exclusives for any of our games in the future, but speaking in the here and now, we definitely want to have the players choose the platform of their liking and make our portfolio available to as many outlets as possible.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Hey Steam, get Valve to make Half Life 3 and Left 4 Dead 3. If you hadn't sat on your arse for so long, you'd still have some of your own 'epic' IP to sell.

D

Deleted member 158293

WTF?! Blaming your own subsidiary?! :kookoo:

THQ... that's not how this works... :laugh:

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.......

There's an epic game store? How long as that being around?

Oh crybabies, who cares. Metro is a fantastic saga and will do great on Epic.

To each their own. I thought the Metro games were okay. They weren't overly simply and you just walked through them with ease, they just felt too linear and a bit too scripted for my liking. It doesn't hurt my feelings where the company decides to sell the next addition to the saga, I wasn't looking to pick up a copy and if I do, it wouldn't be anytime soon. However, there will be people that won't buy it because of where it's being offered for the first year. By the time it does hit other digital stores, folks that didn't buy it probably won't be swooping in to pick up a copy because they'll be busy playing other games.

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
which is the reason why we can and will not comment on this matter

I'm confused....

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Oh crybabies, who cares. Metro is a fantastic saga and will do great on Epic.

Always thought it was kinda meh, find it way to linear too keep interest. Linear games make me fall alseep.

Anyways will not bother me the slightest...

Lets face it they it costs a lot to have your game on Steam.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
So Koch Media are not to concerned about the effect on customers who may wish to keep games under one password security risk, they just want more money.

THQ, Koch just cost you a customer.

ill buy it when GOG or humble sell it Perhaps , since with humble i might get to donate their bit to charity.

no , no , i just say no.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Not exactly a kind way to do this, but I still fancy this movement away from Steam. Its about damn time other platforms matured a bit, and mostly, publisher-independent platforms.

So Koch Media are not to concerned about the effect on customers who may wish to keep games under one password security risk, they just want more money.

THQ, Koch just cost you a customer.

ill buy it when GOG or humble sell it Perhaps , since with humble i might get to donate their bit to charity.

no , no , i just say no.

Wow, that is a new one :D One password security risk... so if that one password gets cracked, you lost everything. How is that better than spreading your stuff around a bit? How is it even relevant to begin with?

I think that argument is not even about security in the slightest, but about being lazy. In the end we all benefit from a bit of pressure on the pricing these middle-men present to devs.

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Not exactly a kind way to do this, but I still fancy this movement away from Steam. Its about damn time other platforms matured a bit, and mostly, publisher-independent platforms.
Epic are'nt a publisher , you know if cheaper games was the end result of any of this i would be ok with it but i dont think anyone believes games are getting cheaper.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Epic are'nt a publisher , you know if cheaper games was the end result of any of this i would be ok with it but i dont think anyone believes games are getting cheaper.

You don't? I do. There is simply more wiggle room for developers on existing titles, and for new ones, they get to deal with a much lower cut on their budget, which leaves more money for actual development and/or marketing. And even if they don't, I'd much rather see my money paid to the actual creator of a product than to some worthless middle man. I don't benefit one second from Steam, it only feeds off everyone using it. Oh yeah, we get some extra functionality to go with it... stuff that developers and other third parties can do much better (Discord for friends & voice, Nexusmods for the workshop, and that's pretty much it).

With publisher -independent I mean platforms NOT like Uplay/Origin/Bnet.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Well... I guess this is gonna happen...

Dont worry THQ, I'll give you monies when you decide to come back to steam after sales of the game has tanked or sold less than predicted because you choose to chase an imaginary rabbit into the middle of nowhere.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
You don't? I do. There is simply more wiggle room for developers on existing titles, and for new ones, they get to deal with a much lower cut on their budget, which leaves more money for actual development and/or marketing. And even if they don't, I'd much rather see my money paid to the actual creator of a product than to some worthless middle man. I don't benefit one second from Steam, it only feeds off everyone using it. Oh yeah, we get some extra functionality to go with it... stuff that developers and other third parties can do much better (Discord for friends & voice, Nexusmods for the workshop, and that's pretty much it).

With publisher -independent I mean platforms NOT like Uplay/Origin/Bnet.
then some random guy gets the middle money and hes probably a money man with no interest in games?, id rethink that wish we have Origin as the dev version of that.

I agree in part with some of your point ,i was surprised steam took such a high cut but ,issues aside they have proven themselfs capable landlords, hopefully they will realise their rents still too high.

And im ok with Epic , I dont like exclusivity deals for shops, you can affect the same thing by offering a massively reduced price exclusively from one outlet to get the same while allowing others the option to buy it their way.

I dont benifit form Tesco , but if i had to go to some new shop called terrys across town for beer because they took it as an exclusive off tesco i would be a very angry man lol

I dont benifit from steam ,origin or any of these shits but this is PC land ,only the tech you have should limit what you can do IMHO ,exclusives on pc wtaf that alone is some confusing shit to happen to a wall less ,system arch.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
You don't? I do.

Let's be real. No one reduces prices any more. If they do, it is accompanied by a reduction in quality. EDIT: In an effort to make the previous content easier to understand: is it really a reduction in price if a reduction in quality comes with it?

I'd much rather see my money paid to the actual creator of a product than to some worthless middle man.

I do agree with you here though.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I dont benifit form Tesco , but if i had to go to some new shop called terrys across town for beer because they took it as an exclusive off tesco i would be a very angry man lol

I dont benifit from steam ,origin or any of these shits but this is PC land ,only the tech you have should limit what you can do IMHO ,exclusives on pc wtaf that alone is some confusing shit to happen to a wall less ,system arch.

This is a very good point actually. Both the exclusive part and that of the beer getting moved. Not a fan of either. BUT. Maybe this is the kind of heavy weaponry we need to dethrone Steam. As good a landlord as they are (to a degree, IMO), I think its good to realize that the very thing they have established (ready-to-eat gaming and added services from a single point of entry) is also their business model, and by saying you won't buy anywhere else, you play into that, weakening your own position as a customer. Its very similar to other on-demand services like Netflix or Spotify. They get an awfully strong position to determine what you eat and what you pay for it. There are also similarities to a Google Search Bubble here. Its never good to limit yourself like that.

Let's be real. No one reduces prices any more. If they do, it is accompanied by a reduction in quality.

I'm not saying reduce the price, that would be ludicrous. But consider the smaller developers that work on tight budgets not forced by shareholders but by real limitations - they have 20% more wiggle room now. All of a sudden their 20 dollar indie title gets a whole lot more perspective.

Besides, do you really think EA or Blizzard or Ubisoft will be eager to push games around on any store but their own? The fat guys take care of their own business anyway, they want control.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
I'm not saying reduce the price, that would be ludicrous. But consider the smaller developers that work on tight budgets not forced by shareholders but by real limitations - they have 20% more wiggle room now.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you said. You quoted this:

If you meant, production costs, then I still don't agree with you. That extra money is going straight to the developers pockets in many cases. They have watched what 'gamers' are willing to buy and know exactly where they need to place their products.

Want proof? Look at the GPU industry. And to some extent, DRAM.

I love buying games from alternatives like GOG. It's DRM Free, I can play games without any launchers, and I can customize/edit the game files as I please.

Since they are fully supporting and offering all future DLC to people who already bought it on Steam it does not seem like a big deal to me.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
This is a very good point actually. Both the exclusive part and that of the beer getting moved. Not a fan of either. BUT. Maybe this is the kind of heavy weaponry we need to dethrone Steam. As good a landlord as they are (to a degree, IMO), I think its good to realize that the very thing they have established (ready-to-eat gaming and added services from a single point of entry) is also their business model, and by saying you won't buy anywhere else, you play into that, weakening your own position as a customer.

I'm not saying reduce the price, that would be ludicrous. But consider the smaller developers that work on tight budgets not forced by shareholders but by real limitations - they have 20% more wiggle room now. All of a sudden their 20 dollar indie title gets a whole lot more perspective.
Yeah i agree , perhaps , steam could improve ,but im not shop racist dude , i have a origin , gog ,uplay, epic, ps4 and xbox and blizzard account despite hateing each ones creation.

It really is this exclusive shopping shit, but also and more so pulling it, make the choice when you should, when you have chosen dont f**k over consumer land with this shit , if i were going to buy it on steam and preordered their assurances id be served would not be reassuring since i know They dont KNOW their own Mind, clearly.

@moproblems99 i couldnt care less about devs costs, not my concern, i care about what im paying for games, and hardware isnt in this thread bro just shops and games

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Perhaps I misunderstood what you said. You quoted this:

If you meant, production costs, then I still don't agree with you. That extra money is going straight to the developers pockets in many cases. They have watched what 'gamers' are willing to buy and know exactly where they need to place their products.

Want proof? Look at the GPU industry. And to some extent, DRAM.

I misunderstood myself, or should have put it differently, what am I smoking ATM- AHEM. Anyway. NO, I don't think games will get cheaper right away when published on Epic Store. But I dó think we won't be depending on 'The Steam Sales' to get us cheap content anymore. There are going to be multiple storefronts with price cuts. As for 'developers' pockets - yes. But no single developer can eat from a single game release. They will start a new project, and there will be more potential cash to draw from.

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
not gonna give my wallet to Epic... simple. Also, I too using multiple clients; BNet, Steam etc. Sometimes having all on Steam is better but not always a good thing when game studio investors want >50% profit going into their company (e.g Origin for EA) & not to Valve... hence the "storefront exclusive" bs. I think seeing Metro doing "last minute change" is not gonna bode well as angry mobs are gonna rant on every social media platform.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
The biggest gripe I have with this game is by far the fact that they have taken the "Metro" out of the Metro series. I have just seen the last gameplay footage. Deserts ? Really ?

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
@moproblems99 i couldnt care less about devs costs, not my concern, i care about what im paying for games, and hardware isnt in this thread bro just shops and games

I didn't intend that for you. Moreso showing Vayra what Vayra quoted. I didn't even think about it giving you the alert that I quoted you. My mistake.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I didn't intend that for you. Moreso showing Vayra what Vayra quoted. I didn't even think about it giving you the alert that I quoted you. My mistake.

You can simply put a sentence in between QUOTE markers, removing the member name from it ;)