• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Metro Exodus Ditches Steam for Epic Games Store as Timed Exclusive

System Name Desktop / "Console"
Processor Ryzen 5950X / Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus X570 Hero / Asus X570-i
Cooling EK AIO Elite 280 / Cryorig C1
Memory 32GB Gskill Trident DDR4-3600 CL16 / 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE / RTX 2080ti FE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus NVME / 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 NVME, 1TB Intel 660P
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW / LG 65CX Oled
Case Lian Li O11 Mini / Sliger CL530 Conswole
Audio Device(s) Sony AVR, SVS speakers & subs / Marantz AVR, SVS speakers & subs
Power Supply ROG Loki 1000 / Silverstone SX800
VR HMD Quest 3
The only way I will switch to Epic Store, is if they get at least half as many games as Valve..

I'm actually quite the opposite. The day they have half as many games as Steam, is the day they start going downhill with piles and piles and piles of worthless garbage games that your have to wade through... just like Steam.

I would prefer to have my games in one client, but don't really care all that much if they are in 2 or 3. Definitely not enough to boycott a good game altogether just out of spite.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Steam markup is the same as apple, insane.
Games haven't became expensive because of Steam, they became expensive due to ever-increasing Publisher markups (and "production value", whatever that means nowadays).
Steam's commission is flat 30%, which includes lots of stuff including hosting, advertising, sales assistance and campaign optimisation, various technical features not available elsewhere (Proton, flexible controller support), post-sales revenue (trading cards, in-game items etc), community features etc.
Oh... and 10-times bigger exposure, if that's of any importance :D

Definitely not enough to boycott a good game altogether just out of spite.
It's not out of spite, it's common sense. If a developer/publisher company wants to be an asshole and change their mind about availability mere 3 weeks before release - I won't be going out of my way just to give them money. If 4A wants to take a risk - I'm not gonna be a part of it at my own expense. If I skip Exodus - nothing bad is going to happen. I've survived without ME: Andromeda, never regretted not going to Origin for Crysis 3, not concerned with what's going on with Origin, and definitely don't miss that short time I spent with Bethesda Launcher.

Plus, it smells just as bad as pre-orders: with preorders you are committed to a game without knowing whether it's shit or not, and with buying a game on a new platform you are getting committed to this platform without a guarantee that it won't disappear next month/year due to lack of content publishers or content consumers.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Well, that's unfortunate. Now I won't get to experience their game, and they won't get to experience my money. Lose/lose.

Anyway, why can't it be on both stores or all the other ones out there too? i can't believe how people are defending this nonsense with "Developer will earn more cash in Epic Store". This is basically giving the finger to Steam consumers. I own over 450 Titles on Steam and i am not about to give up my library for one or two titles. I will no longer support any other Digital Store appart from Steam and GoG. This is not Competition, this is a new low for Deep Silver. Poor Metro Devs.

Back in the days of physical distribution copies retailers took nearly half the cash of every sale, and everyone was ok with it. Steam comes with their new System of Digital Distribution taking only a 30% and everyone moves there with joy. Now a decade later everyone shitting on Steam because they are supposedly being "unfair" to Developers. Trading in a few extra % Cash instead of all the possible sales on Steam. Idiotic move, plus all the hate from the PC Gamers out there, which are 95% of Steam users. Publishers are just getting greedier and want every little extra cash possible. I think Steam could offer to cut their 30% to 20% to basically every title on Steam and it's still fair because of the massive amount of Steam users there.

I don't understand how you can even be 'a Steam customer'. Are you also just a customer at one supermarket? Are you cautiously avoiding any other supermarkets? Or clothing brands? Or cars? Or vegetable farmers? I mean... where's the logic here?

PC Gamers are not by definition 'Steam users'. They have an account there, yes, which makes sense because the store has steadily built to a near-monopoly. But they also have accounts elsewhere, for example with literally every publisher they buy games from and log in for, for example. Even you have that, and all Steam is, is a way to save you one or two extra clicks to get you where you want to be - ingame.

Also, I am lost as to how you feel you 'lose' anything by having multiple launchers and/or libraries at stores. Not to mention the fact that you can still put game shortcuts anywhere you want regardless of the store they're linked to. I'm also wondering why you think Steam has 'reach' as in: they can bring the game to thousands of customers. They don't. Steam only advertises on its own platform and the vast majority barely browses the store, and many people disable the popups Steam gives you pre- and post-game launch. There's a good chance a large audience will never see a game within/through Steam, but elsewhere in marketing and buys a Steam key somewhere, because there aren't any other kinds of keys available. That's what I do...

Care to elaborate? I'm honestly curious about the thought process here.

Last, the cost/benefit aspect for developers and publishers - a 30% cut for a store that is digital is quite a lot, still. Half the sale price for a physical store was also, always essentially too much. I think you misunderstand how pricing really works under the hood... That 30% cut on a game sale price can go two ways: 1. cut into the development budget which literally means you get less game because Steam wants its cut, or 2. increase the sale price of games. Every expense will in the end always land in the customers' lap. Why would you support that, feeding the middle man that is never going to bring you any game at all? (Not even Half life 3... :D)

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic
Memory 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6700XT Gaming OC (2.80Ghz core / 2.15Ghz mem)
Storage Corsair MP510 NVMe 960GB; Samsung 850 Evo 250GB; Samsung 860 Evo 500GB;
Display(s) Dell S2721DGFA; Iiyama ProLite B2783QSU;
Case Cooler Master Elite 361
Power Supply Cooler Master G750M
Competition would be for Epic to distribute Metro Exodus at lower prices (for all regions) in parallel with Steam's distribution.

This is not competition, this is BS, not to mention I've lost all respect for Epic after they completely halted any and all development on the crowdsourced UT title, disregarding years of work by so many people and telling so many lies in the process.

All because they hit the underage jackpot with Fortnite, which is what we owe this Epic store nonsense to also for that matter.

I will not be playing the exclusives game on the PC front, much like I refuse to do so about console titles.

Metro Exodus will be purchased from the CPY store, thank you very much lol

System Name Avenger001
Processor Ryzen 2 2700x @4.2ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI
Cooling Corsair H115i
Memory G.SKILL - TridenX 16GB -F4-4266c19d-16gtza @ 3533mhz CL14
Video Card(s) AORUS RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme 11G
Storage samsung 850 Evo(500) + 500gb WD black NVME
Display(s) BenQ EX3501R
Case Nzxt H440 Razor
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RMx1000X
Mouse LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS SPECTRUM RGB
Keyboard Gigabyte Aivia Osmium
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO
Is this another game launcher i will have to install to play this game?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Yes. Epic Games Store is a lot like GOG Galaxy, Steam, Origin, uPlay, Battle.net.

System Name Negra5
Processor i5 6500
Motherboard ASUS Z170M-Plus
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Memory Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) PNY GTX-1070, XFX RX480
Storage Gigabyte 256GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD, WD 4TB HDD.
Display(s) SAMSUNG 32" FullHD
Case GAMING EAGLE WARRIOR CG-06R1
Audio Device(s) nVidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair GS800W 80 Plus Bronze
Mouse Cooler Master Devastator MS2k
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator MB24
Software Windows 10 20H2
Benchmark Scores Pfft
I don't understand how you can even be 'a Steam customer'. Are you also just a customer at one supermarket? Are you cautiously avoiding any other supermarkets? Or clothing brands? Or cars? Or vegetable farmers? I mean... where's the logic here?

PC Gamers are not by definition 'Steam users'. They have an account there, yes, which makes sense because the store has steadily built to a near-monopoly. But they also have accounts elsewhere, for example with literally every publisher they buy games from and log in for, for example. Even you have that, and all Steam is, is a way to save you one or two extra clicks to get you where you want to be - ingame.

Also, I am lost as to how you feel you 'lose' anything by having multiple launchers and/or libraries at stores. Not to mention the fact that you can still put game shortcuts anywhere you want regardless of the store they're linked to. I'm also wondering why you think Steam has 'reach' as in: they can bring the game to thousands of customers. They don't. Steam only advertises on its own platform and the vast majority barely browses the store, and many people disable the popups Steam gives you pre- and post-game launch. There's a good chance a large audience will never see a game within/through Steam, but elsewhere in marketing and buys a Steam key somewhere, because there aren't any other kinds of keys available. That's what I do...

Care to elaborate? I'm honestly curious about the thought process here.

Last, the cost/benefit aspect for developers and publishers - a 30% cut for a store that is digital is quite a lot, still. Half the sale price for a physical store was also, always essentially too much. I think you misunderstand how pricing really works under the hood... That 30% cut on a game sale price can go two ways: 1. cut into the development budget which literally means you get less game because Steam wants its cut, or 2. increase the sale price of games. Every expense will in the end always land in the customers' lap. Why would you support that, feeding the middle man that is never going to bring you any game at all? (Not even Half life 3... :D)

Sure. as you know, Steam represents 90-95% of the PC Market out there with 50 Million users, so by definition... NO, Steam does not represents ALL PC Gamers, but they certainly represent a overwhelming majority. No wonder why Metro and Deep Silver FB posts are filled with such a massive angry reactions. Regarding the launcher, it's very simple. I Choose not to have many of them cluttering my Desktop and i prefferably want my Games on a single Library. Second, i could care less how Devs and Publishers or Retailers split the cash between them when i buy one of their games, after all... i am paying for the game, it's not like i am stealing them. I would also i happily pay more to have it on Steam with all their features. It's just a matter of choice, really. Nothing more nothing less. You're more than welcome to buy your titles in Epic. You asked a fair question and i replied with my opinion. Others might not agree or think that it's dumb, but it's ok.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Sure. as you know, Steam represents 90-95% of the PC Market out there with 50 Million users, so by definition... NO, Steam does not represents ALL PC Gamers, but they certainly represent a overwhelming majority. No wonder why Metro and Deep Silver FB posts are filled with such a massive angry reactions. Regarding the launcher, it's very simple. I Choose not to have many of them cluttering my Desktop and i prefferably want my Games on a single Library. Second, i could care less how Devs and Publishers or Retailers split the cash between them when i buy one of their games, after all... i am paying for the game, it's not like i am stealing them. I would also i happily pay more to have it on Steam with all their features. It's just a matter of choice, really. Nothing more nothing less. You're more than welcome to buy your titles in Epic. You asked a fair question and i replied with my opinion. Others might not agree or think that it's dumb, but it's ok.

Would I be correct in summarizing most of your arguments as 'comfort choices'? There is no judgement in that, by the way. Just an observation.

System Name Negra5
Processor i5 6500
Motherboard ASUS Z170M-Plus
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Memory Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) PNY GTX-1070, XFX RX480
Storage Gigabyte 256GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD, WD 4TB HDD.
Display(s) SAMSUNG 32" FullHD
Case GAMING EAGLE WARRIOR CG-06R1
Audio Device(s) nVidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair GS800W 80 Plus Bronze
Mouse Cooler Master Devastator MS2k
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator MB24
Software Windows 10 20H2
Benchmark Scores Pfft
Yes. Epic Games Store is a lot like GOG Galaxy, Steam, Origin, uPlay, Battle.net.

You forgot to Throw Microsoft Store in there... GoG is ok, no issues with it because you really own the games there and also they are pro consumer.

Would I be correct in summarizing most of your arguments as 'comfort choices'? There is no judgement in that, by the way. Just an observation.

Yes, i think you might be right.

I actively avoid Walmart and a few other stores I don't like for various reasons. Does that count? The concept and reasoning is similar.

Except that GOG's Galaxy is not required to play the game you buy and own on GOG. Everyone else "Client" is required.

What about Physical copies ? I am cancelling mine if it aint on Steam..why not release on both platforms so ppl buy where ever they want to.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Except that GOG's Galaxy is not required to play the game you buy and own on GOG. Everyone else "Client" is required.
Out of curiosity, I checked. I stopped the Epic Games Store application, ran Edith Finch directly from its executable, and Edith Finch started Epic Games Store. The Epic Games Store application seems to have the same kind of integration that Steam does so, you're right, GOG Galaxy is clearly the winner in terms of independence.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Well **** Deep Silver then.

I bought the first two games on release and was planning on doing the same with the third until they pulled it from Steam, now I'll be getting it from Bittorrent, their loss for trying to boost profits with anti-consumer practicses /spit.
:roll:Do you realize how juvenile that thinking is? Are you 12? I bet you try to save every bit of money you can, just like a business does. Only when a business does it they are some evil monster.

Hopefully, if we're lucky, Valve may be able to file a lawsuit to get the game back on Steam, as the vast majority of the advertising for the game was done by Valve based on contracts that DS reneged on. It's a small chance tho.

Do you realize how juvenile that thinking is? Are you 12? I bet you try to save every bit of money you can, just like a business does. Only when a business does it they are some evil monster.
Look kid this isn't about a business saving money, this is about a business profiteering via anti-consumer practices. Exclusivity is the cancer of the videogames industry, a cancer that after decades of ravaging the console market has (thanks to these ****s) just crept over and infected the PC market.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Hopefully, if we're lucky, Valve may be able to file a lawsuit to get the game back on Steam, as the vast majority of the advertising for the game was done by Valve based on contracts that DS reneged on. It's a small chance tho.
It's been publicly confirmed that Exodus will be an Epic exclusive for for launch period. It will be available on Steam in 2020 (a year after release), if Gaben doesn't do the "counter-strike"(pun intended) by denying re-listing.

It's been publicly confirmed that Exodus will be an Epic exclusive for for launch period.
I didn't ask that, I was just saying hopefully there may be a chance (albeit a very small one) that once Valve have time to meet with their lawyers/etc they may be able to find a way to force the devs to honour their original contract due to the amount Valve have already spent advertising their product.

Hell, if we're super duper lucky then maybe Epic/Deep Silver may realise that the negative press they're getting from all this is costing them much more than losing sales to Steam would have done and remove their exclusivity lock. However that too is very unlikely as the whole reason they went for exclusivity is because they knew that being cheaper than steam wouldn't be enough to take sales from steam hence why they went the anti-consumer route in the first place.

Processor i7 3770k @4.3GHZ
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory g.skill Sniper 1600 4GB x4
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX480 4GB
Storage Crucial MX100 x2
Display(s) LG 25UM56-P 25"
Case Antec 1100
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/27435174
Everyone else "Client" is required.

This is actually not strictly true, at least with Steam anyway.
There are a number of games on Steam that will run straight from the .exe without Steam open. Divinity Original Sin 1&2 are an example.

But most developers/publishers choose to integrate with Steam as a form of DRM.

Competition would be for Epic to distribute Metro Exodus at lower prices (for all regions) in parallel with Steam's distribution.

Yes I think this is sort of a fundamental flaw with the games space in general. No games retailer is actually a retailer, they are a marketplace. The publishers set the prices, control the keys, etc.
It's not like a retailer where say Steam goes to Deep Silver and says I want 20,000 keys to sell on Steam what price will give you give me let's negotiate. The publisher actively controls their space on Steam including the price.

I just don't know that there's a way to fundamentally realign the industry away from this. Since publishers got this control with the digital distribution boom, they'll never want to give that up.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
I didn't ask that, I was just saying hopefully there may be a chance (albeit a very small one) that once Valve have time to meet with their lawyers/etc they may be able to find a way to force the devs to honour their original contract due to the amount Valve have already spent advertising their product.
4A(or Koch/THQ to be more specific ) will fulfill their obligations to Steam/Valve by honoring all pre-orders. I doubt their contract has any provisions for "future" or "expected" sales.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
LMAO. You are a child in age terms. You literally know nothing of me or that word would never have come out of your keyboard. Your reaction, just as with all the other angry people is so indicative of 1st worlders totally oblivious to what is really important in this world, and shows a clear sense of selfishness. It’s infantile.

Last edited:
You literally know nothing of me or that word would never have come out of your keyboard.
Well if you don't want people to assume you're a little kid don't act like one, try being polite to other posters instead of just randomly flaming them to initiate conversation and people will probably be nicer back to you ;)

System Name Dell Dimension P120
Processor Intel Pentium 120 MHz 60Mhz FSB
Motherboard Dell Pentium
Memory 24 MB EDO
Video Card(s) Matrox Millennium 2MB
Storage 1 GB EIDE HDD
Display(s) Dell 15 inch crt
Case Dell Dimension
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster
Mouse Microsoft mouse, no scroll wheel
Keyboard Dell 1995
Software Windows 95 + Office 95
Already have Steam and Origin and I am not going to get another launcher just to play this game

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Well if you don't want people to assume you're a little kid don't act like one, try being polite to other posters instead of just randomly flaming them
Well, let’s recap, shall we? You joined a conversation I was already part of from page 1. Your contribution was to curse out Deep Silver, and then state your intention to pirate the game because the store it’s sold from is not to your liking, which is not only morally wrong, it is explicitly against the rules of this site.

Yet, you seem to think those childish actions merit a “hi, how are you? Glad to have you join the conversation!”?