• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Acquires Indian Startup to Strengthen Position in Discrete GPU Tech

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Several years ago, Ineda, a small startup from Hyderabad, India made headlines when they developed custom-design processors for use in wearable devices that were optimized for high energy-efficiency, while still having the ability to read out various sensors or listen to voice commands at the same time. Such improvements help increase battery life on devices that people don't want to recharge every day. Over the years the company has received several million dollars in funding from Samsung, Qualcomm, Imagination Technologies and others.

Looks like this caused enough attention at chip giant Intel, who's trying to come up with a competitive design for a discrete graphics processor, that's able to take on AMD's and NVIDIA's offerings. While Ineda certainly has patents that could come in useful, it looks like Intel is more interested in the company's manpower. With around 100 engineers, the company has a lot of talent, that's experienced in chip design and how to make these chips energy efficient.

Besides the obvious implications for mobiles devices, energy efficiency is the #1 constraint these days when it comes to graphics performance, since power generates heat, which requires bigger and more expensive heatsinks, and drives up fan noise levels. NVIDIA learned this after GTX 480, and has since made constant improvements in this sector, which is the foundation for their market dominance today.

Ineda Systems founder Dasaradha Gude used to be managing director of AMD India, which suggests some ties with Raja Koduri, who used to be head at AMD's Radeon Graphics department and moved to Intel not long ago, to start up their discrete GPU project. This makes us speculate that Raja, who's also from Hyderabad originally, was instrumental in making this buy-out happen.

Times of India reached out to Intel, which confirmed the all-cash purchase of Ineda, but didn't provide many additional details:
Intel acquired engineering resources from Ineda Systems, a silicon and platform services provider based in Hyderabad. This transaction provides Intel with an experienced SOC (system on chip) team to help build a world-class discrete GPU business

Intel has a lot of software development staff in Hyderabad, and is looking to expand that to several thousand engineers in the coming years. This is good news for the engineers, as they won't have to move, and it helps keep cost down because no relocations are needed.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Ryzen shine, Mr Freeman
Processor 5900X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Dark Hero
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 ARGB
Memory 32GB TridentZ Neo 3600 CL14
Video Card(s) 3080TI FE with Alphacool Eiswolf AIO
Storage 2TB 970 EVO PLUS, 1TB 980
Display(s) LG OLED 55CX
Case O11D XL Black
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STU, Mackie MR5+MR10S, HD598
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Mouse GPW
Keyboard G815
That render... i already want one

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Processor i7 12700K
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 4400Mhz CL19 1T
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 6700 XT
Storage 970 EVO 250GB|Crucial m4 128GB|MX300 525GB|MX500 1TB|PNY XLR8 2TB|Kingston NV2 2TB|14TB HDD|4TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XG270HU 27" 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design DEFINE R4 Black Pearl Window
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Keyboard EVGA Z15 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I don't get hyped about anything anymore but I am certainly looking forward to what Intel brings next year in gaming GPUs. I hope they will bring a lineup at more reasonable prices than Nvidia because Nvidia badly needs the competition to come back down to earth. If Intel doesn't bring that then I haven't lost anything because right now we have AMD struggling due to lack of R&D money for GPUs and Nvidia overcharging just because they can imo.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Do i smell a ATIntel brand in the offering :) Very Soon

intel already lost the cpu war, all of the operating systems shifting from complex instruction sets to dedicated ARM chips.

they are trying to catch the GPU train but it is too late for them. even if they release an expensive FPGA at a loss, it will be a huge problem for them to solve.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
intel already lost the cpu war, all of the operating systems shifting from complex instruction sets to dedicated ARM chips.

they are trying to catch the GPU train but it is too late for them. even if they release an expensive FPGA at a loss, it will be a huge problem for them to solve.

What crack pipe are you hitting? Intel lost the CPU war, I lost an ARM..... AMD they lost a leg. It's terrible this war, Intel had to layoff millions... The $USR is needing some CPU time, c'mon babe, just a little taste, a few extra cycles on that CISC with vector table lookup.

What crack pipe are you hitting? Intel lost the CPU war, I lost an ARM..... AMD they lost a leg. It's terrible this war, Intel had to layoff millions... The $USR is needing some CPU time, c'mon babe, just a little taste, a few extra cycles on that CISC with vector table lookup.
you need to feel the reality stone impact on your forehead.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
you need to feel the reality stone impact on your forehead.

Is that like crack rock? Or more like pop rocks and soda?

I bet ARM could throw a football clear over those mountains. Like Uncle Rico. Just needs the chance. Man, if Intel didn't stop every other architecture from sucking at real world work, we could get things done!!!

Is that like crack rock? Or more like pop rocks and soda?

I bet ARM could throw a football clear over those mountains. Like Uncle Rico. Just needs the chance. Man, if Intel didn't stop every other architecture from sucking at real world work, we could get things done!!!
funny kiddo. go ahead and play at another park.

there are tons of hardware coming with extended battery life and very good connectivity.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
funny kiddo. go ahead and play at another park.

there are tons of hardware coming with extended battery life and very good connectivity.

Is very good what we aim for anymore? How about OKish, cause when I want video games that look great I don't go much beyond OKish. Risc works well at one thing, reduced instruction computing it's even kinda in the name if you squint and look, and when put out in the real world it fails if asked to do anything beyond what it's meant for. Kinda like we don't use knives to eat soup, all the accelerated "stuff" people like to have like high def video, fast processing, high fps, eye candy, requires more silicon switches, and ARM cores are becoming more complex, but still suck compared to X86-64 for average compute loads.

But tell me how Intel and AMD can even sell a single CPU in the face of the monster of cell phones and cheap tablets for kids?

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Is very good what we aim for anymore? How about OKish, cause when I want video games that look great I don't go much beyond OKish. Risc works well at one thing, reduced instruction computing it's even kinda in the name if you squint and look, and when put out in the real world it fails if asked to do anything beyond what it's meant for. Kinda like we don't use knives to eat soup, all the accelerated "stuff" people like to have like high def video, fast processing, high fps, eye candy, requires more silicon switches, and ARM cores are becoming more complex, but still suck compared to X86-64 for average compute loads.

But tell me how Intel and AMD can even sell a single CPU in the face of the monster of cell phones and cheap tablets for kids?

I may be misunderstanding you but Intel and AMD sell tens of millions of CPUs for desktops and laptops every year. I read in one report that PC sales actually increased last year for the first time in 6 years. For example where I work we have around ten thousand desktops and laptops combined. That's just a conservative guess. It's probably more. The desktops are i3 2120s. It's a cheap CPU but it's plenty for MS Office.

Tablets are fine for surfing, email, videos etc but not so great for large Excel spreadsheets for one thing so I don't see Intel or AMD having any trouble selling CPUs any time in the near future.

I'm not sure you and I living in the same era. most of the task on the computers now being handled by gpu acceleration, even web browsing. for that you don't need xeon, any arm cpu can handle a lot of task. for video editing, again the same story, for gaming? it is easy, not a rocket science to port the game instructions to run on ARM. start with NEON.

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
System Name Daily Driver/Part Time
Processor Core i7-13700K/Ryzen R5-7600
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX/Asrock B650 Pro RS Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AIO/Deep Cool LS-520 White
Memory Patriot 2x16GB DDR5-7200/XPG Lancer Blade 2X16GB DDR-5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX-4080 Super/Sapphire Radeon RX-7800XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW
Case Corsair 5000d AirFlow/Asus AP201 White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC/Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1K Watt/Seagotep 750W
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Adata XPG Summoner
Software Win11 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Xbox Live Gamertag=jondonken
Drop the namecalling please cause it is ruining the good conversation.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
I'm not sure you and I living in the same era. most of the task on the computers now being handled by gpu acceleration, even web browsing. for that you don't need xeon, any arm cpu can handle a lot of task. for video editing, again the same story, for gaming? it is easy, not a rocket science to port the game instructions to run on ARM. start with NEON.

Nah, 90% of the work is still CPU serial work. I use my GPU for folding at home and got a paper that tells me I know about computers that cost a lot to get. Maybe you should go design a ARM risc CPU to beat everyone, but that would make it a CISC architecture, either way, show us how it's done since you know better.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'm not sure you and I living in the same era. most of the task on the computers now being handled by gpu acceleration, even web browsing.
You sure about that? Just because you can drop specific tasks on gpu doesn't mean you can go full risc and rely on gpu to do serious things. If that was the case then there wouldn't be so many fallen competitors from the risc side and powerpc would have survived in consumer grade products.

Just don't go that way. Sure ARM has evolved a lot but still it can do what it can do.

I invite you to take a look at Nvidia Jetson systems. you know, they can autonomously ride a car better than any pc worldwide.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
I invite you to take a look at Nvidia Jetson systems. you know, they can autonomously ride a car better than any pc worldwide.
Comparing apples to oranges won't get you anywhere.

"What" is this; in the end of the day, everything can be done with software optimizations.

We're dedicated ourselves to run our applications on AARCH64 platform and we don't need x86_64 anymore. Because what we can do at a 30W power budget at a $1200 system is far more superior in the means of "realtime" processing compared to any PC on the planet.

Comparing apples to oranges won't get you anywhere.
Not comparing the two. you are so focused on using the hardware available to you, you stopped thinking about any other possiblity.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
link please or go home

Because those are specialized apps & chips used for one particular task, in autonomous(?) cars. It's like saying AMD is better than Intel because they do encryption better.

link please or go home
can you walk home or do you want me to summon my autonomous car to drop you off?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Autopilot#Hardware_2

Because those are specialized apps & chips used for one particular task, in autonomous(?) cars. It's like saying AMD is better than Intel because they do encryption better.
nope, not even close to one particular task. there are around hundred examples that can be used with jetson processors.

follow the white rabbit;
https://elinux.org/Jetson_TX1
https://elinux.org/Jetson_TX2
https://elinux.org/Jetson_AGX_Xavier

I'm sure of one thing, you common-computer-fanboys won't understand what I'm talking about.
https://hackaday.com/2015/11/24/the-nvidia-jetson-tx1-its-not-for-everybody-but-it-is-very-cool/
https://hackaday.com/2017/03/14/hands-on-nvidia-jetson-tx2-fast-processing-for-embedded-devices/

a few of our examples include, firewalls, routers, signal generators, software-defined-radios, multiple audio video stream capture & upload hardware, single or multiple 4K capture hardware, VR systems.. and yeah, of course, autonomous cars.