• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Takes Steps to Enable Thunderbolt 3 Everywhere, Releases Protocol

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel is well on its way to making the innovation delivered with Thunderbolt 3 available to everyone. Today, Intel announced that it contributed the Intel Thunderbolt protocol specification to the USB Promoter Group, enabling other chip makers to build Thunderbolt compatible silicon, royalty-free. In addition, the USB Promoter Group announced the pending release of the USB4 specification, based on the Thunderbolt protocol. The convergence of the underlying Thunderbolt and USB protocols will increase compatibility among USB Type-C connector-based products, simplifying how people connect their devices.

"Releasing the Thunderbolt protocol specification is a significant milestone for making today's simplest and most versatile port available to everyone. This, in combination with the integration of Thunderbolt 3 into upcoming Intel processors is a win-win for the industry and consumers," said Jason Ziller, general manager, Client Connectivity Division at Intel.

Previously, Intel shared plans to integrate Thunderbolt 3 into future Intel CPUs and to release the Thunderbolt protocol specification to the industry. As detailed at CES 2019, Intel's upcoming 10 nm processor code-named "Ice Lake" will be the first to integrate Thunderbolt 3. Processor integration, combined with today's announcement, is expected to drive large-scale, mainstream adoption of Thunderbolt.

Industry adoption of Thunderbolt 3 is accelerating. Thunderbolt 3 is fully supported in Windows 10, macOS and Linux; volumes of PCs with these ports continue to double every year into the tens of millions; and all the latest Macs have Thunderbolt 3 ports. More than 400 PC designs have been enabled with Thunderbolt 3. Peripheral device volumes also continue to double annually with more than 450 certified devices from a wide number of product categories, including docks, displays, storage and external graphics.

"Realizing HP's vision for the office of the future requires seamless connectivity, powerful performance and total simplicity to enable people to unleash their creativity wherever their workday takes them," said Bill Gorden, vice president, Commercial Notebook Management at HP. "Thunderbolt 3 is a powerful addition to our new notebooks and docks that delivers the flexibility sought by IT departments and the experiences people love."

"Samsung Electronics is responding to increasing consumer demand for Thunderbolt 3 by offering sleek and powerful notebooks and other peripheral devices," said Mincheol Lee, vice president, PC Strategic Marketing at Samsung Electronics. "We look forward to our ongoing collaboration with Intel to bring more innovative Thunderbolt 3 products to market."

Thunderbolt delivers world-class performance, ease-of-use and quality by unifying multiple industry specifications into an industry leading set of product capabilities. Thunderbolt is supported by an end-to-end solution enabling program for computer, peripheral device and cable makers to help ensure a consistent experience for all Thunderbolt connected products. Intel works with the industry to define product capabilities, validation testing and rigorous certification requirements, including:
  • Working closely with Microsoft to deliver built-in Windows 10 support for Thunderbolt 3, optimized for plug and play, platform power management, system charging and system wake features
  • Intel CPU platform and peripheral reference design validation
  • Extensive end-to-end testing to help ensure interoperability across a wide range of product types and manufacturers
  • Mandatory Thunderbolt certification for all computers, peripheral devices and cables
  • Cable enabling and cable quality audits for Thunderbolt cable manufacturers
  • Intel and other industry leaders continue to innovate on Thunderbolt technology to deliver a leading connectivity solution, from silicon and cables to PCs and peripheral devices.
Intel and other industry leaders continue to innovate on Thunderbolt technology to deliver a leading connectivity solution, from silicon and cables to PCs and peripheral devices.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Releasing the specs of a failing standard when it has already failed to gain traction over three generations feels like too little, too late.
We actually need something much faster already, considering how fast PCIe will be later this year.

Seriously, audit cables ?
lol
That would be a failure from start.

That said, if the TB spec will be open, then it could gain a lot of market since USB3 had it's share of not so good things.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Wow, open specs for connecting peripherals.....why didn't anyone think of this before now ? :D

Oh, wait, like, maybe, just, like USB 1,2,3 was/is....and maybe that's why we currently have had it on like a gazillion devices worldwide for how many years ?????

SO basically what they are saying now is that TB & USB 3.xx/4 will soon all be one in the same thing, using the same cables, speeds, controllers, protocols, etc. That should definitely help drive adoption, which will spur moar mfgr's to make moar stuff with it, which will FINALLY result in lower prices for the consumers.... seems like a win-win-win situation to me, now that Intsmell has FINALLY gotten down off their money-grubbin, bleed-everyone-dry high horses :D

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Releasing the specs of a failing standard when it has already failed to gain traction over three generations feels like too little, too late.
We actually need something much faster already, considering how fast PCIe will be later this year.
and USB 4 is on the way... lol Intel just likes being silly I guess sometimes. trying to get that proprietary money game like Apple does, they see Apple they go nom nom nom me want some of that pie

Seriously, audit cables ?
lol
That would be a failure from start.

That said, if the TB spec will be open, then it could gain a lot of market since USB3 had it's share of not so good things.

I don't even know what audit cables are, care to enlighten me?

System Name NorthBlackGoldDream
Processor Ryzen 7600X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650M-DS3H
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 240
Memory 16 GB DDR5-5200C40
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB
Storage 1 TB NVMe PCIe 3.0
Display(s) 24.5" 240 Hz TN
Case Fractal North Black Mesh
Power Supply 650W
TB is one of the smartest ways Intel has ever tried to divide the PC ecosystem. If TB actually requires a dedicated TB controller, which is found on Intel chips, I sure hope for AMDs sake that the controller can be added just as easily as USB controllers in the future.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
TB is one of the smartest ways Intel has ever tried to divide the PC ecosystem. If TB actually requires a dedicated TB controller, which is found on Intel chips, I sure hope for AMDs sake that the controller can be added just as easily as USB controllers in the future.

? why? AMD will just USB 4 standard and it matches TB in speeds. why pay intel a premium. AMD didn't charge for Freesync, and Nvidia had to cave on that one... Intel will cave on this one too, very few marketshare uses TB as is.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
and USB 4 is on the way... lol Intel just likes being silly I guess sometimes. trying to get that proprietary money game like Apple does, they see Apple they go nom nom nom me want some of that pie

I think you misunderstood, Thunderbolt will be part of USB 4, or rather, it's what USB 4 will be based on.

Thunderbolt requires an additional controller in the same way that every USB standard has required an additional controller until they got integrated into the chipset or CPU/SoC.
It's just that Thunderbolt requires a lot more power, so they've kept it outside the chipset so far. This will obviously change with USB 4, at some point.

? why? AMD will just USB 4 standard and it matches TB in speeds. why pay intel a premium. AMD didn't charge for Freesync, and Nvidia had to cave on that one... Intel will cave on this one too, very few marketshare uses TB as is.
The spec isn't finalized yet so there could be quite a bit of change between now & the final draft, in fact TB3 isn't even guaranteed for USB4 atm.
I think you misunderstood, Thunderbolt will be part of USB 4, or rather, it's what USB 4 will be based on.
That's true but to what extent - that's the billion dollar question?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
That's true but to what extent - that's the billion dollar question?

I guess it comes down to how good Intel is at bending the USB-IF to its will :p

System Name Specs Last Update: 8/April/2024
Processor Intel Core i5 9400f 2.9GHz/4.0 Turbo (NoOC)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370M D3H rev. 1.0
Cooling be quite! Dark Rock Slim 180W TDP (The Silent Wings 3 120mm Fan)
Memory Corsair Red Line 8x2 16GB 3000MHz (NoOC) DDR4-3000 15-17-17-35 (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R) V1.35 ver 4.24
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce MSI 980 Ti Golden Edition (NoOC)| Spare: GTX 650 Ti 1 GB
Storage Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB | Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | Cold Backup: WDC Black 930 GiB WD1003FZEX
Display(s) Asus VG248QZ 1920x1080 144hz 24" (Current: 60hz)
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair 850W RMi
Mouse Logitech M187 wireless (First day of use 30-9-2021)
Keyboard Logitech K270 wireless
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC 2021 / Linux: Candidates: Bazzite - Linux MX - Tuxedo - Kubuntu
US Thunder?

System Name No Name
Processor i7 980 @ 4.2ghz
Motherboard GA-X99M-GAMING
Video Card(s) MSU Gaming X 1070
Audio Device(s) X7 Creative LE
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard K95 Corsair RGB Blue
Intel gives away Thunderbolt after Thunderclap lol

Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
They should've done this long time ago. Now they make the standard royalty free when it failed mass adoption. This is exactly what nVIDIA did with their G-SYNC and now look what happened. :shadedshu:

I'm quite surprised by all the comments about Thunderbolt 3 being a failure. Hello, it's 2019?
Thunderbolt 3 is running virtually all eGPU cases, most fast USB docks and the whole Mac ecosystem.

The whole point of Thunderbolt 3 was to deliver a certain level of performance before USB standard catches up.
Intel made a ton of money on this and we got some nice things a few years earlier in return. How exactly is that a failure for anyone?

Since USB 4.0 is coming, Intel opens the protocol (as they must have planned from the start).
It would make sense for everyone (Intel and clients) for Thunderbolt 3 to be remain compatible with future standard. And this is basically a confirmation it will.

Mm.. I think its a good thing?

Like super fast USB-C, what is there to not like. I love it.

Now someone make Thunderbolt 3 expansion card for PCIe x16 (2.0) and Im happy..

I'm quite surprised by all the comments about Thunderbolt 3 being a failure. Hello, it's 2019?
Thunderbolt 3 is running virtually all eGPU cases, most fast USB docks and the whole Mac ecosystem.

The whole point of Thunderbolt 3 was to deliver a certain level of performance before USB standard catches up.
Intel made a ton of money on this and we got some nice things a few years earlier in return. How exactly is that a failure for anyone?

Since USB 4.0 is coming, Intel opens the protocol (as they must have planned from the start).
It would make sense for everyone (Intel and clients) for Thunderbolt 3 to be remain compatible with future standard. And this is basically a confirmation it will.

I dont get it either, too strong Intel hate bandwagon probably..

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.
They should've done this long time ago. Now they make the standard royalty free when it failed mass adoption. This is exactly what nVIDIA did with their G-SYNC and now look what happened. :shadedshu:

Exactly!
Open standards is what wins except HDMI, somehow that one won..
still hate HDMI :p

I dont get it either, too strong Intel hate bandwagon probably..
Which makes me wonder: if USB 4.0 is based on Thunderbolt 3, will they choose not to use it? :-D
There should be a term for that, like "Inteliganism" or something.

I was always wondering how people like that exist professionally. You know... what if they get a PC with Intel CPU at work? They quit? They go on strike?

Exactly!
The goal of enterprises is not to make standards (be it open or not). It's to make money.

Which makes me wonder: if USB 4.0 is based on Thunderbolt 3, will they choose not to use it? :-D
There should be a term for that, like "Inteliganism" or something.

I was always wondering how people like that exist professionally. You know... what if they get a PC with Intel CPU at work? They quit? They go on strike?

The goal of enterprises is not to make standards (be it open or not). It's to make money.

That would be a bit tough, to avoid USB. :D

Yea no idea what they do.. probably demand free swap for AMD equiv or quit.

I had both platforms (actually I do have them atm). I got two nVidia cards and one AMD. I even got ASUS soundcard and I really dont like ASUS much (soundcard is awesome tho, drivers.. much less so). Think just buying whatever seems good or ticks right boxes is a best approach. No brand does it for fanboys anyway, they all in it mostly for money. :D And I just want good piece of HW.

Exactly!

Well, Im using DisplayPort (with adapter :D).

System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
Thunderbolt is in no way a failure. Almost all premium laptops have ports now. It's the only thing that supports no-compromise standardized docks and eGPUs. The issue is that it is so far ahead of what is needed from most accessories and peripherals that there's just no point to implement it unless you need direct PCIe access or massive bandwidth.

Making it the USB 4 (please don't write USB4, it hurts) standard makes a lot of sense. Just like USB 2.0 to USB 3.0, the switch will allow for a standardization of the highest speed and compatibility with the lower speeds that are most useful for the majority of devices. USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (*barf*) will be plenty fast for even the fastest portable SSDs and memory, and will be part of USB 4. Over time, devices that actually need Thunderbolt speeds will implement the faster protocol. I just hope that the USBIF will not allow people to have USB 4 ports that can't do Thunderbolt, as that will put it in the same situation as we have today, where the protocol means nothing about the compatibility. If this is done right, then in 10 years you should be able to get every speed and connection you need from one USB 4 port, including support for anything that used to be an expansion card, and that will be a beautiful thing.