• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mellanox Not Quite Intel's Yet, NVIDIA Joins Competitive Bidding

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Late January it was reported that Intel is looking to buy out Israeli networking hardware maker Mellanox Technology, in what looked like a cakewalk USD $6 billion deal at the time, which was a 35 percent premium over the valuation of Mellanox. Turns out, Intel hasn't closed the deal, and there are other big tech players in the foray for Mellanox, the most notable being NVIDIA. The GPU giant has reportedly offered Mellanox a competitive bid of $7 billion.

NVIDIA eyes a slice of the data-center networking hardware pie since the company has invested heavily in GPU-based AI accelerators and its own high-bandwidth interconnect dubbed NVLink, and now needs to complete its hardware ecosystem with NICs and switches under its own brand. Founded in 1999 in Yoqneam, Israel, Mellanox designs high performance network processors and fully-built NICs in a wide range of data-center relevant interconnects. Intel is by far the biggest tech company operating in Israel, with not just R&D centers, but also manufacturing sites, in stark contrast to NVIDIA, which opened its first R&D office in 2017 with a few hundred employees.

Update: NVIDIA's bid for Mellanox stands at $7 billion.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Wasn't this one scaring some about egfectively locking AMD out of the server market by keeping them away from high performance networking? Not sure what nVidia wants with it, though...

well i don't see them selling for less than 8 billion now, the company is now worth 5.9 Billion, since both Intel and Nvidia are interested, also Xilinx, and Intel dumped 14 Billion on Mobileye seems only logical.
for Nvidia they could sell them along with their GPUs for super computers / science labs.

well i don't see them selling for less than 8 billion now, the company is now worth 5.9 Billion, since both Intel and Nvidia are interested, also Xilinx, and Intel dumped 14 Billion on Mobileye seems only logical.
for Nvidia they could sell them along with their GPUs for super computers / science labs.
Nvidia's bid is $ 7B according to the same source with a possible deal closing pretty soon.

Reports: Nvidia Nears a $7 Billion Deal for Mellanox

Maybe Israeli government will have a say, as Intel invests heavily in the country as stated in the article. IDK if they would be happy about NVIDIA buying the company as surely it would mean less investment in Israel? As if Intel buys it, it means that the company value will remain , at least partly, in Israel through Intel. Bt w I am Just curious, dont wanna start political debate^^

Wasn't this one scaring some about egfectively locking AMD out of the server market by keeping them away from high performance networking? Not sure what nVidia wants with it, though...
With Intel's history of trying to kick AMD by locking them out, paying OEMs to not use their CPU's and other dirty under-hand tactics this wouldn't surprise me at all. Intel should be scared about their marketshare being eaten, especially with 7nm ROME coming a lot quicker than they will be able ot build a CPU to rival it. 14nm Cascade-Lake dual-die 2x24 Core will be eaten alive by ROME 64C in heavily multi-threaded workloads, and utterly demolished in Perf/Watt I think. Intel still has the ecosystem and brand image advantage right now. A friend of mine who works for an agency in US and says their department required massive I/O capability and heavy multi-thread use said they didn't even evaluate EPYC server (you know, with industry leading I/O and multi-thread) simply because the agency was too heavily invested in Intel ecosystem and brand... So they paid 2x as much for inferior performance ~shrug~ But I digress.

Nvidia needs more products to offer not only gaming cards.
And if they buy Melanox - they gonna doing businesses with AMD :)

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro
AMD uses Intel is some cases for Networking, so why would this prevent it?

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro
Intel bought Altera, Nvidia dumped G-Sync, just saying.

I don't understand the point your trying to make. You think this is Catch and Kill?

D

Deleted member 158293

Curious to see if nvidia would keep Mellanox as-is, or make them proprietary for solely nvidia's own use and marketing.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
^yep, you can read that blog clicking on the image. Quite niche for the ordinary gamer, lol. We, the world, were about to cut power consumption down and then came the cloud and the AI....

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
^yep, you can read that blog clicking on the image. Quite niche for the ordinary gamer, lol. We, the world, were about to cut power consumption down and then came the cloud and the AI....

There is no cloud, its just someone else's computer.

I'm not entirely surprised, Nvidia does need to complete its ecosystem for large servers, and relying on other third party hardware and software means they might be able to squeeze more performance and price by integrating their own R&D for higher speed transfer fiber/mesh hardware and ensure fewer issues and larger revenue stream.