• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Announces Stadia Cloud Gaming Service at GDC 2019

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
We knew this was coming, especially after Google's teaser from earlier this month. Project Stream was a proof-of-concept in collaboration with Ubisoft, to see whether AAA gaming was possible over the internet. Things were smooth most of the time in our own experience, but there remained questions over how the concept would translate over to a finished product, especially with infrastructure challenges on the client side of things. Google's keynote at GDC just wrapped up, and the main focus was Stadia- the now named cloud gaming service borne out of Project Stream.

Stadia is built with instant access in mind. An example demo came in the form of Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed Odyssey, which was used in the public test before. It is integrated with partner YouTube channels such that a trailer for a supported game would have an option to play said game, which would then launch immediately. Stadia is built with support from a wide partner network including AMD, Unity, id Software, and more, with details seen past the break.

Game streaming usually means support for multiple devices, given the backend hosts the actual game processing itself. Stadia is no different, with support for a variety for products including PCs, phones, tablet, and TVs (smart or otherwise via products such as Google's Chromecast). The current limitation is support for Google's Chrome browser, although Google mentioned that they are working to support other browsers as well. Most controllers as well as the keyboard + mouse combination, and Google is also bringing out a dedicated Stadia controller for those who prefer first-party support. The Stadia controller will come in three color options, is reminiscent of the XBOX controller, and connects via WiFi directly to the game being streamed. It also has a dedicated capture button to share content on YouTube, as well as a Google Assistant button to access the built-in mic for, well, Google Assistant.

The backend is no doubt critical here, with Google promising over 7500 nodes around the world to combat latency as best as possible. Each node, or Stadia instance as they are calling it, uses datacenters comprising multiple racks filled with custom hardware developed in collaboration with AMD. The hardware includes a GPU providing 10.7 TFlops compute (based on AMD's Vega microarchitecture, presumably), a custom x86 processor clocked at 2.7 GHz with hyperthreading, and 16 GB of RAM, which all pair together to provide a single node well more powerful than the Sony PS4 Pro or the Microsoft XBOX One X- even combined. But raw numbers mean little if developers can't optimize for it, however, and this will no doubt be a challenge.

Google is promising a massive improvement in gameplay experience with Stadia, going from the up to 1080p/60 FPS/stereo sound setup from Project Stream to 4K/60 FPS/HDR/surround sound at launch with Stadia, and further improvements targeting 8K gameplay in the future. This is paired with instant streaming of games so you can show viewers what you are playing, and others can watch you live. This enables YouTube to be a bigger competitor to Twitch than it currently is, and no doubt another move in Google's arsenal to take over the internet.

AMD is one of many, many partners Google is working with to make Stadia a success, with other partners brought up on stage to talk about what else is coming out. Doom Eternal, for example, is ready for Stadia and capable of hitting the launch specifications of 4K HDR at 60 FPS. Unity and Unreal game engines are getting native support, and there are others listed as seen below. Google Assistant can come in handy here too, for seamless integration to figure out a game navigation problem, for example, as demonstrated with Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Google is promising full parental control for those who need it, but also full cross-platform play and multi-player. No cheating is a definite plus point in this case, given the whole concept of game streaming. Game developers will have tools available to enable a wide range of view options for multi-player gameplay, demonstrated by Google's Night Forest demo, and also the ability to easily style games using palettes and art backgrounds. Google is also creating a new Stadia Games and Entertainment division to build experiences and work with developers and partners to ensure a continuous stream of content.

Stadia launches in 2019 in the US, Canada, UK, and Europe, but there are no more details available yet on pricing, launch date, and the content available at launch. Google promises to have another session in the summer to share these details, which gives time for people to make up their mind on whether Stadia is for them or not. The US especially has datacaps on most internet plans, and this is before input lag and gameplay latency comes into play. Summer 2019 is also when E3 happens, which has been nerfed this year by the absence of Sony and EA. This year is also especially important given many are expecting to hear more about the next generation of game consoles, so Stadia will be an alternative to many who simply want to play without dealing more into the logistics of it. There are also other such game streaming options coming out or already available in one form or another- be it NVIDIA's GeForce Now, Steam Link Anywhere, Microsoft's Wireless Display app, or others.

Let us know in the comments what you think, and keep in mind that it is early to make a conclusion one way or another on Stadia at this stage- especially without more details on pricing and content.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
interesting but not interested ...

tbf i prefer having my games on my computer, specially those who are mod'able ... and for various other reasons, streaming locally on the other hand is ok for me...

although i get the point of having game streamed for those who don't have or want capable computer, and just want to game occasionally.

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390-A
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition PWM
Memory G.Skill DDR4 RipjawsV 3200MHz 16GB kit
Video Card(s) Asus RTX2060 ROG STRIX GAMING
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
Case Cooler Master MasterCase H500
Power Supply SUPER FLOWER Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
The ultimate DRM. Publishers wet dream

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
What about Ads?

Every ingame cutscene gonna be interrupted with an Ad?

Not to mentions Mods?... Paid Mods 3.0?...

Correct me if I am wrong - but it looks like Monster AMD APU with Vega and 16GB HBM2 and Zen CPU cores?
It's a big win for AMD IMO, just think about it- all current consoles using AMD GPU/CPU and same will be with next new Consoles + Google now joining with Stadia + Microsoft also, what does it mean about future Game development and optimization for AMD hardware?

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X [3.7GHz/4.6GHz][6C/12T]
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO [X570]
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB [DDR4 3600][2x16GB][16-19-19-39@1.35V]
Video Card(s) ASUS KO GeForce RTX 3060 Ti V2 OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 [511.65]
Storage [OS] Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | [Storage] 980 1TB | 860 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850 [27"][2560x1440@144Hz][Nano IPS][LED][G-SYNC Compatible][DP]
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC S1200A High Definition Audio CODEC
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+ [+12V: 83.3A 999.6W][80 Plus Gold]
Mouse Logitech M570 Trackball
Keyboard Corsair Gaming K55 RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro [21H1][64-bit]
I didn't really care for Project Stream, it was usable, but visual quality would degrade with any sort of fast motion.

Correct me if I am wrong - but it looks like Monster AMD APU with Vega and 16GB HBM2 and Zen CPU cores?
It's a big win for AMD IMO, just think about it- all current consoles using AMD GPU/CPU and same will be with next new Consoles + Google now joining with Stadia + Microsoft also, what does it mean about future Game development and optimization for AMD hardware?
Oh really... one of the biggest news in gaming lately and you're only interested whether it's a win for AMD or not.

And it's not. Streaming services will compete with consoles. AMD provides hardware for both, so they simply secured their position.

And the CPU is a Xeon.

What about Ads?
It's quite likely this will be VERY expensive for active gamers (but quite acceptable for the casual kind).
I don't think any ads will be needed.
No mods. No one cares.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Just curious what Google’s commitment is here. I know they have made a large investment, but they haven’t moved the needle with phones, and Pixelbook and the tablet are dead. Also, I suspect a similar custom AMD chip will wind up in next gen consoles from Sony and MS. The PS4 Pro and XboxOne X are good, but they are still based on an older x86 and GPU design.

Just curious what Google’s commitment is here. I know they have made a large investment, but they haven’t moved the needle with phones, and Pixelbook and the tablet are dead. Also, I suspect a similar custom AMD chip will wind up in next gen consoles from Sony and MS. The PS4 Pro and XboxOne X are good, but they are still based on an older x86 and GPU design.
Phones were a forced idea. We make OS, we make the Internet. Let's make the hardware in between. They didn't know how to, they bought a few companies, they still don't know how to. Pixel is great, but it's very expensive (and still most likely not making money).

This thing is what they do. They have the infrastructure, they have the know how. They've been providing cloud computing services for a while. And they still do with Stadia - they simply installed a game for you. Not a big deal.

Parsec, a relatively tiny company, has been offering a very similar service for a while. They don't have the infrastructure, so they use AWS.

And yeah... Google also provides you with an ugly Chinese pad that looks quite cheap. I hope it's not mandatory. I'm really looking forward to this, but I'd rather use my Xbox pads.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
If Google Fiber were still a thing they were pushing out - lots of speed and unlimited data, something like this would be a no brainer for an avid gamer.

Folks with data caps that spend lots of time gaming, not to mention streaming music and videos, won't be able to sustain streaming a video game for very long without hitting or exceeding their data cap.

Between the wife, my 10 year old, 6 year old and myself, we generally average around 650GB a month (more less, depending on the time of year). I don't download games very often - still working on the ones I have installed - so I wouldn't have much wiggle room here to stream a game. If you figure a open-world type game, such as the Assassin Creed games, you can sink countless hours into it. The last AC game I played I easily put 40 hours into it over the course of a month or so.

Folks reporting, according to the past test review on Google's Cloud Streaming here on TPU, upwards of 6-7GB/hour.....that's just brutal! If I were to then spend 40 hours in a month on a AC game, that means I'd probably hit anywhere from 240 to 280GB just for one game.

1 game like that a month could easily push my household to the 1TB datacap on Comcast or past. For a lot of people with datacaps, something like this just isn't feasible anytime soon.

Folks reporting, according to the past test review on Google's Cloud Streaming here on TPU, upwards of 6-7GB/hour.....that's just brutal! If I were to then spend 40 hours in a month on a AC game, that means I'd probably hit anywhere from 240 to 280GB just for one game.
Netflix uses 7GB/h in 4K and no one complains. If 6-7GB/h mark is correct, this is actually much less than I expected.

And no offense... if you're playing games for 40h a month, you're not the target audience of this service.
1 game like that a month could easily push my household to the 1TB datacap on Comcast or past. For a lot of people with datacaps, something like this just isn't feasible anytime soon.
Do people in US really have limited cable networks? I though this is not happening anymore.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Netflix uses 7GB/h in 4K and no one complains. If 6-7GB/h mark is correct, this is actually much less than I expected.

And no offense... if you're playing games for 40h a month, you're not the target audience of this service.

Do people in US really have limited cable networks? I though this is not happening anymore.

That was 6-7 GB/hr at 1080p SDR, it will be more at 4K HDR. Also, yeah sadly data caps have actually just grown even more recently in the US.

System Name Replicator
Processor Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard ROG Strix x470-i
Memory G-Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING
THE NUMBER ONE THING PEOPLE AREN'T THINKING ABOUT WITH STRATA IS THAT THEY WILL BE FREELY BE GIVING GOOGLE'S AI ALGORITHMS DATA ON HOW TO MAKE FUN GAMES FOR PEOPLE TO PLAY AND HOW HUMAN PLAY GAMES. THIS SERVICE WILL BE ANOTHER DATA HARVEST MASKED AS A SIMPLY GAMING SERVICE ‍♂️

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
What about Ads?

Every ingame cutscene gonna be interrupted with an Ad?

Well surly their be many ads, like come on it's frigging google.

But people will still do it like they still google stuff even if the results are altered some time greatly to meet their way of thinking.

DuckDuckGo FTW

Last edited:
That was 6-7 GB/hr at 1080p SDR, it will be more at 4K HDR. Also, yeah sadly data caps have actually just grown even more recently in the US.
So it will be 15-20 GB/h in 4K. Still, not a big deal. That's under 50 Mbps. 5G will do that easily.
Limits are another issue, but who knows - maybe game streaming will be excluded? Or you'll be able to buy an unlimited plan for gaming?

I'm in T-mobile in Poland. I pay $10/month for the phone plan.
4G is limited to 10GB (if I go over, transfer drops to 1Mbps).
But for ~$4 I can have 1080p video streaming excluded from this limit (the list includes Youtube, Netflix, Prime Video, Google Play and the top local services as well).

Globally, this is still going to be a niche service compared to things like Youtube, Netflix or even Spotify.

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint

My cable plan has a 600GB data cap, and before if you exceeded it three times they’d force you onto the next plan up. The worst part was that no unlimited plan even existed. Now they have overage charges of $10 per 100GB up to $50.

The US, the land of the free*

*as long as you’re a massive corporation.

That's why you have AV1, I'm sure it'll go a long way in enabling such services.

D

Deleted member 158293

Interesting... I guess at this point with being in all big game consoles and ...err.. streaming thingy... AMD really IS gaming.

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Soo, GPU is clearly Vega-56-ish.
But what about CPU?
If it is Intel, why even bother mentioning AVX, if it is AMD, why did its CEO only mention GPUs?

Streaming services will compete with consoles.
If SS take off (unlikely, it's not the first effort, there is Playstation Now and what not, although this time it has a much bigger media exposure) it will have major impact on PC gaming as well, bar the genres that are bound to mouse and low latency.

CPU it's intel - Xeon class. It probably won't be dedicated, at around 18-28 cores per socket...

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
I'm not sure game streaming is for me personally, however.. I think there can be many exciting developments from Stadia. The biggest one is the fact that Stadia runs linux, so hopefully the gaming vms are also running linux and not Windows.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
No mods. No one cares.
Are you simply unaware how huge the modding community is for a number of games? It’s far from “no one cares.”

Do people in US really have limited cable networks? I though this is not happening anymore
Yep, many do. Of course, they can pay through the nose for going over.