• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Oculus Announces the Rift S Headset for $399, Developed in Partnership With Lenovo

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Oculus today announced an improvement to their original Rift headset, the Oculus Rift S. The new headset from oculus builds upon advances in their view of a VR experience, as well as from learnings acquired through the development of the original Rift, the smartphone-only Oculus Go, and the standalone Oculus Quest, to deliver the new, ultimate VR experience in the Oculus field.

The Oculus S features improved panels with a 2560x1440 resolution (just like the Oculus GO), offering 40% more pixels and improving the pixel subsystem with groupings of three instead of two. It also features Oculus Quest's Inside-Out tracking capabilities, with five cameras instead of the Quests' four, alongside redesigned controllers.

The Rift S also features a new head strap, integrated audio and Passthrough+ technology, besides some other quality of life improvements such as "for increased comfort, better weight distribution and improved light blocking." It will also be implementing a single-cable system for a clutter-free experience," so long as you don't use the headphone jack - we don't know the nature of this single-cable system yet, but it better be based on VirtualLink.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Prolly has SuperFish preinstalled.

D

Deleted member 158293

Prolly has SuperFish preinstalled.

As bad as Superfish is, it might be the least of the problems, curious if Facebook has any hooks in yet like they do with Samsung & their version of Oculus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Good direction. Still the most important thing to sort out now is locomotion. Pimax 8k is already pushing the limits of a full fat RTX Titan so resolution of HMD is not that important IMO.

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
That USB-C on my RTX card finally come to use, has been a half year long wait.

What a massive fail...

Oculus Rift 1200×1080 p/e (OLED@90Hz)
Oculus Quest 1600x1440 p/e (OLED@72Hz)
NEW Oculus Rift S 1440×1280 p/e (LCD@80Hz)
Samsung Odyssey+ 1600x1440 p/e (OLED@90 Hz)

Oddysey+ (released over 1 y-e-a-r ago!) is better in every way than Facebook's new Rift S.
Not to mention that new Rift S has worse display resolution than new Quest designed for casual gaming:)

btw - USB connectivity is already confirmed and it's going to be... 5-meter USB 3.0 + DisplayPort 1.2 cable, so still no VRlink...

System Name Desktop / "Console"
Processor Ryzen 5950X / Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus X570 Hero / Asus X570-i
Cooling EK AIO Elite 280 / Cryorig C1
Memory 32GB Gskill Trident DDR4-3600 CL16 / 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE / RTX 2080ti FE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus NVME / 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 NVME, 1TB Intel 660P
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW / LG 65CX Oled
Case Lian Li O11 Mini / Sliger CL530 Conswole
Audio Device(s) Sony AVR, SVS speakers & subs / Marantz AVR, SVS speakers & subs
Power Supply ROG Loki 1000 / Silverstone SX800
VR HMD Quest 3
What a massive fail...

Oculus Rift 1200×1080 p/e (OLED@90Hz)
Oculus Quest 1600x1440 p/e (OLED@72Hz)
NEW Oculus Rift S 1440×1280 p/e (LCD@80Hz)
Samsung Odyssey+ 1600x1440 p/e (OLED@90 Hz)

Oddysey+ (released over 1 y-e-a-r ago!) is better in every way than Facebook's new Rift S.
Not to mention that new Rift S has worse display resolution than new Quest designed for casual gaming:)

btw - USB connectivity is already confirmed and it's going to be... 5-meter USB 3.0 + DisplayPort 1.2 cable, so still no VRlink...

The Quest should have had a Virtual Link connection with DP/USB adaptor (for those /wo VL cards) with a video pass through chip to allow it to be mobile as it is, or tethered to a PC. It's hard to believe they are selling the S for the same price as the Quest when it has no internal hardware and lesser screen panels... There's no reason the S and Quest should even exist together in my opinion. The Rift should have been canned, and the Quest with pass through as a stop gap until CV2. I mean really, how much more $$ could it cost to just add pass through... I would have gladly paid extra for that feature. It's frustrating as a VR enthusiast.

The Quest should have had a Virtual Link connection with DP/USB adaptor (for those /wo VL cards) with a video pass through chip to allow it to be mobile as it is, or tethered to a PC. It's hard to believe they are selling the S for the same price as the Quest when it has no internal hardware and lesser screen panels... There's no reason the S and Quest should even exist together in my opinion. The Rift should have been canned, and the Quest with pass through as a stop gap until CV2. I mean really, how much more $$ could it cost to just add pass through... I would have gladly paid extra for that feature. It's frustrating as a VR enthusiast.

That's exactly what I thought about when I compared the technical specifications for Quest and Rift S.

Rift Quest with the optional possibility of connecting to a PC would be a hit. I do not see any reason why it has not been done (except that Facebook would probably love to sell two separate headsets to everyone - one for playing on a PC, the other for mobile gaming). Some will say that Rift S is better than the old Rift and that will be true. Why, however, does the new Rift have a lower resolution display than the new Quest... and a lower resolution than the old headsets from other manufacturers available on the market for many months. I was waiting for refreshed Rift, but looking at the specification I know I will not buy it. I'll wait for the HTC Cosmos or the price reduction of the new HP Reverb (2.160 × 2.160 per eye @ 90Hz!)

Facebook probably missed the fact that VR headsets are usually bought by enthusiasts who have enough GPU power and have done the headset, which will work well with 5-year old GTX 960 cards ...

System Name Desktop / "Console"
Processor Ryzen 5950X / Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus X570 Hero / Asus X570-i
Cooling EK AIO Elite 280 / Cryorig C1
Memory 32GB Gskill Trident DDR4-3600 CL16 / 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE / RTX 2080ti FE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus NVME / 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 NVME, 1TB Intel 660P
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW / LG 65CX Oled
Case Lian Li O11 Mini / Sliger CL530 Conswole
Audio Device(s) Sony AVR, SVS speakers & subs / Marantz AVR, SVS speakers & subs
Power Supply ROG Loki 1000 / Silverstone SX800
VR HMD Quest 3
That's exactly what I thought about when I compared the technical specifications for Quest and Rift S.

Rift Quest with the optional possibility of connecting to a PC would be a hit. I do not see any reason why it has not been done (except that Facebook would probably love to sell two separate headsets to everyone - one for playing on a PC, the other for mobile gaming). Some will say that Rift S is better than the old Rift and that will be true. Why, however, does the new Rift have a lower resolution display than the new Quest... and a lower resolution than the old headsets from other manufacturers available on the market for many months. I was waiting for refreshed Rift, but looking at the specification I know I will not buy it. I'll wait for the HTC Cosmos or the price reduction of the new HP Reverb (2.160 × 2.160 per eye @ 90Hz!)

Facebook probably missed the fact that VR headsets are usually bought by enthusiasts who have enough GPU power and have done the headset, which will work well with 5-year old GTX 960 cards ...

Exactly. Even from Facebooks perspective, why would they want to have 2 different screens from different suppliers, different tooling for the HMD cases, etc. Seeing as they are on the downside of CV1's life cycle, a stop gap Quest with pass through just makes more sense even from a manufacturing/supply perspective. At the very least if they insist on having separate products for mobile/pc to increase sales as you mentioned, why not just use the same screen panels across the stack until CV2 arrives. I'll be passing on the S as well, and that Reverb does look mighty tempting. For me PiMax has always been out of the question (I have no faith in the quality) so Reverb is what I'll be watching closely for a high res alternative.