• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Electronic Arts Lets Go of 350 Employees Amidst Internal Restructuring

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Of course EA had to **** on Apex Legends with their battle pass. They can't help themselves.

The sooner EA collapses, the better - they haven't done anything positive for gamers in almost two decades now, but the list of IPs and developers they've murdered is truly saddening. RIP to Visceral, Mythic, Bullfrog, Origin, Westwood, DreamWorks Interactive, Danger Close, EA Los Angeles (Medal of Honor), Phenomic, Black Box Games, Pandemic, PlayFish, NuFX. We also have to watch current devs like Maxxis and DICE die a slow death as EA ruin great ideas with stupid greed and monetisation.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Of course EA had to **** on Apex Legends with their battle pass. They can't help themselves.

The sooner EA collapses, the better - they haven't done anything positive for gamers in almost two decades now, but the list of IPs and developers they've murdered is truly saddening. RIP to Visceral, Mythic, Bullfrog, Origin, Westwood, DreamWorks Interactive, Danger Close, EA Los Angeles (Medal of Honor), Phenomic, Black Box Games, Pandemic, PlayFish, NuFX. We also have to watch current devs like Maxxis and DICE die a slow death as EA ruin great ideas with stupid greed and monetisation.
Yeah man that list causalities really doesn't make me feel much sympathy. Some groundbreaking and amazing games were made by those studios only to have EA destroy them all. Yeah and the Apex thing is kinda funny, they just can't not "EA" stuff no matter what and again shooting themselves in both feet...

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
The level of immaturity and downright meanness is in this thread is so sad and disheartening. People actually glad that other people are losing their jobs is totally sick. These are human beings, not the faceless entity known as EA everybody loves to hate.
I don't think anyone is happy because of people losing their jobs. We're just happy EA's actions seem to have caught up with them.
Personally, I haven't touched anything EA since they ruined NFS.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I don't think anyone is happy because of people losing their jobs. We're just happy EA's actions seem to have caught up with them.
Personally, I haven't touched anything EA since they ruined NFS.
Then go back and read. There are several people either glad they got fired or don’t feel bad for those employees.

Last edited:
Think if they removed whole marketing department, it wouldnt make a difference (apart having more funds to actually use for making something of value).

Marketing today is overestimated thing. You can market and sell products with success without actually needing any of normal ways of marketing. Ofc it requires a) not being an idiot and b) not being greedy idiot, which unfortunately rules out nearly any "major" publisher.

Then go back and read. There are several people either glad or don’t feel bad for those employees.
What do you expect us to do? Reach out to those people and give them warm fuzzies? We don't know who they are and, again, we're not talking about helpless children. Those people will find other work. While there might be some unpleasantness here and there, the reality is having EA on the resume is not going to hurt them at all, especially given the very publicly announced "restructuring", showing clearly that the lay-offs were not their individual fault.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
The level of immaturity and downright meanness is in this thread is so sad and disheartening. People actually glad that other people are losing their jobs is totally sick. These are human beings, not the faceless entity known as EA everybody loves to hate.

While true, these people do choose to work in the company. Yes, choose, let's not act like EA was the only option here. First you choose to study marketing which is one the most empty professions you can imagine, and then you apply at EA. Not exactly a set of virtuous moves I'd say. Marketing is one of those typical 'zero benefit' jobs. Society gains nothing from these people.

So yeah. I hope they find another job quickly, but compassion? No. Anyone can lose their job, for any sort of reason, and the way you take that is personal. No need for sympathy, for some people getting fired is a necessary step and for others its the push they needed to make something of their lives. I think the latter applies in this case, if you had any spine you'd have stepped out by yourself years ago if you had to work with false info.

But this topic really isn't about the individuals but about EA as a company restructuring. The fact it happens in marketing is telling, you only do that if your current strategy isn't working.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
While true, these people do choose to work in the company. Yes, choose, let's not act like EA was the only option here. First you choose to study marketing which is one the most empty professions you can imagine, and then you apply at EA. Not exactly a set of virtuous moves I'd say. Marketing is one of those typical 'zero benefit' jobs. Society gains nothing from these people.

So yeah. I hope they find another job quickly, but compassion? No. Anyone can lose their job, for any sort of reason, and the way you take that is personal. No need for sympathy, for some people getting fired is a necessary step and for others its the push they needed to make something of their lives. I think the latter applies in this case, if you had any spine you'd have stepped out by yourself years ago if you had to work with false info.

But this topic really isn't about the individuals but about EA as a company restructuring. The fact it happens in marketing is telling, you only do that if your current strategy isn't working.
Yes it happens. Yes EA generally sucks for us as gamers. And yes Marketing is volatile. But people feeling glee over things that happen to people and their misfortunes is wrong, no matter where you live if you are even remotely a decent member of the human race. Correct, the story isn't about individuals, but some cancerous individuals decided to make it about the employees. That is wrong.

As to our other point about leaving, you don't know everyone's situation. for some it may be the last stop. Others may be three-quarters of a way to retirement, and by that time, they are trapped if they don't want to be destitute in their retirement years. We can never presume to know anyone's situation and think we know better where they should work, based on our imposition of our values on them.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
As to our other point about leaving, you don't know everyone's situation. for some it may be the last stop. Others may be three-quarters of a way to retirement, and by that time, they are trapped if they don't want to be destitute in their retirement years. We can never presume to know anyone's situation and think we know better where they should work, based on our imposition of our values on them.

Still doesn't excuse the fact its an empty profession at a corporation that has been taking a pretty loose approach to ethical behaviour, and this is not something of the last five years either. These people are fine working in that twisted environment, and I'm totally fine with them finding greener pastures instead, and I also have no problem with them feeling some consequence to their choices. Regardless of individual situations. We all have a certain responsibility and this is a typical case of karma being a bitch in public opinion. If you're fine with people who spread misinformation to put bread on the table, I'm fine with them getting sacked.

I do agree with your basic sentiment, we can't begin to understand any individuals' walks of life, but we can get a pretty good impression based on their choices and actions, simply because those are the things that count to the outside world. You may not like that, but its the way we've built our society, always carefully looking at each other and passing judgement, its both blessing and curse.

System Name Red 101
Processor 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900k
Motherboard EVGA Z370 Classified
Cooling Custom Primochill and Heatkiller water cooling loop
Memory 16GB of Gskill 3200Mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 with Heatkiller block @2114Mhz
Storage 4- Samsung Evo 250GB, 1- Pro 512GB and 1-512GB M.2
Display(s) LG 38" UW
Case In Win 101 customized a lot and painted red
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
Power Supply EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdderv2
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Win10Pro and games
Benchmark Scores NA
EA who.... oh yeah that company that made the few good Battlefield games and then after 3 were remakes of the same game and trash.

Other beef I have is C&C series... they killed that with fire, the first games were amazing and they just went to shit for a long time.

I cant remember the last time I launched Origin.

Sorry to hear about the employees but EA needs to learn some how

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Sometimes it's not the company at fault, but the culture of the employees.
If they've been getting a free ride for too long and not pulling their weight, sometimes it's best to burn the dead wood and start afresh.

While I agree with this, the results of this are best felt when that 'dead wood' happens to be bad management or engineers.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
@rtwjunkie nailed it. We don't know their situation nor they are the people who made the decisions, yet some people around here are willing to send them to the chopping block with a smile.

Quite ironic.
Well done twisting my words there, sir.

Irony..

That could actually work. Either Disney would destroy EA or turn it back into something good.

That's a bit of a stretch. The rot started late 2008..

Oh please do explain

No need for sympathy, for some people getting fired is a necessary step and for others its the push they needed to make something of their lives. I think the latter applies in this case, if you had any spine you'd have stepped out by yourself years ago if you had to work with false info.
So just to clarify you wouldn't sympathise with a family member or a close friend being made redundant? Ever considered that some may have families, mortgages, debt repayments. They could have been laid off with f**k all statutory pay. Work isn't always easy to come by. I've been through three redundancy processes and it's a stress that I wouldn't wish on anyone. The negativity and disdain towards companies and their wishful downward plight on this site really makes for some toxic reading.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Let's not forget even though jobs are lost they still usually get compensation for a bit of time.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
EA just buys up Developers and use their reputation to sell mediocre games. Case in point BioWare. They bought BioWare in 2007. Mass Effect was already fished then and Dragon Age: Origins was already in development. What do we see happening after that? Mediocre games.

Oh please do explain
Explain what? You quoted my entire post which had several points to it. Which one do you refer to? Until you can make up your mind, pass.
Let's not forget even though jobs are lost they still usually get compensation for a bit of time.
Exactly, those folks are very likely to get a severance package. It's not like they're being tossed out on their ears.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
EA just buys up Developers and use their reputation to sell mediocre games. Case in point BioWare. They bought BioWare in 2007. Mass Effect was already fished then and Dragon Age: Origins was already in development. What do we see happening after that? Mediocre games.

Thank you for mentioning Dragon Age. It had been a long time since I remembered to check the status of the series and BAM! Dragon Age 4 is in the works!!!

I just went through this entire list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Electronic_Arts_games

It turns out I that I don't hardly play EA titles. I counted all of 8 games that I have ever played and enjoyed. Only one of those is still going: Dragon Age.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
I did. I counted that among the 8.
To be fair, after RA3, it was all downhill. C&C4 wasn't the terrible mess everyone claims it is when judged on it's own merits, but compared to the rest of the franchise..

Explain what? You quoted my entire post which had several points to it. Which one do you refer to? Until you can make up your mind, pass.

Exactly, those folks are very likely to get a severance package. It's not like they're being tossed out on their ears.
Well obviously it was the one you quoted me on, FFS. Go figure

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Oh please do explain

So just to clarify you wouldn't sympathise with a family member or a close friend being made redundant? Ever considered that some may have families, mortgages, debt repayments. They could have been laid off with f**k all statutory pay. Work isn't always easy to come by. I've been through three redundancy processes and it's a stress that I wouldn't wish on anyone. The negativity and disdain towards companies and their wishful downward plight on this site really makes for some toxic reading.

For direct relatives I still dont hold you in high regard if you do shitty/pointless/wasteful work. That doesnt mean Ill be standing there laughing at them. But honestly, there are far worse thjngs that happen to people all over the world, being all teary eyed because some unknowns lost a job to me seems like misplaced and hypocritical altruism.

You read it as toxic, I write it being brutally honest. NONE of us truly cares about these 350, it just looks nice to say we do. None of us is doing anything to help them anyway. Lets just be real about it.