• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam AAA Bleed Continues: Anno 1800 to be UPlay and Epic Games Store Exclusive

Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen 3
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 6G Gaming X
Storage Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung PX2370 + Acer AL1717
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Power Supply Enermax Modu87+ 800W
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
That is great, but this is simply statistics at work, these numbers are pretty representative. If you want to avoid that and instead believe in your gut, by all means, but I don't think we have to discuss which is more credible. It also has nothing to do with the game's quality itself. This was about who bought it and whether we boycotted it. I say we didn't and numbers support that.

I also don't think this was ever about whether you cared or not, you disputed the news article about 'more sales' and are convinced it didn't sell, I'm just showing you sources that support the opposite. Grow up a bit... Or provide some source YOU think it credible that supports your statement - maybe we'll learn something beyond this temper tantrum.

You "showed me"? You showed nothing, because even if the game sold more than Last Light, it's pretty far from "Huge success". I could ask you the same, show me some credibile and actual source for what you're saying, because using metascore's 2788 reviews is as good as me saying it wasn't even close to a huge success.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
You "showed me"? You showed nothing, because even if the game sold more than Last Light, it's pretty far from "Huge success". I could ask you the same, show me some credibile and actual source for what you're saying, because using metascore's 2788 reviews is as good as me saying it wasn't even close to a huge success.

Metro 2033 and LL got another sequel because the franchise is shit, gotcha.

Let's drop it there. When you can add 1+1 come back.

Alternatively you can check out other big shooter releases of the past years and compare the review counts. Metro is pretty high up there, consistently with every part. For giggles, put those numbers next to Call of Duty BLOPS 4, with a measly 300 reviews. Or are you going to tell me now that doesn't say anything either?

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
If we all love steam so much, an extra five bucks for a sixty dollar game is not too much to ask.

Aaaaaaaand this is why we have $1500 GPUs that used to cost $649.

Processor i7 2600K
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
Metro 2033 and LL got another sequel because the franchise is shit, gotcha.

Let's drop it there. When you can add 1+1 come back.

So in your eyes only "huge success" franchises have sequels? There's plenty of game that sold even worse than Metro, and still made at least one sequel. Making or not making sequels of a game, depends almost solely to Software house's goals, deep silver is not a big SH, and even games selling just ok, will do for them, besides it's probably one of their most important franchises, if not THE most important one - As i already said, this might have sold more than Last light and 2033, but it's not even close to a "Huge success", and if it launched on steam too, it would've only been better for everyone, software house included.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Alternatively you can check out other big shooter releases of the past years and compare the review counts. Metro is pretty high up there, consistently with every part.

This is one of those games that without real, solid numbers no one knows. You have people purposely going out and giving negative reviews because their panties are in a twist while simultaneously having people leave overly positive reviews to correct it.

Edit: I bought it last night and so far I really like it. I have not played the other two so I can't compare in that regard.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
So in your eyes only "huge success" franchises have sequels? There's plenty of game that sold even worse than Metro, and still made at least one sequel. Making or not making sequels of a game, depends almost solely to Software house's goals, deep silver is not a big SH, and even games selling just ok, will do for them, besides it's probably one of their most important franchises, if not THE most important one - As i already said, this might have sold more than Last light and 2033, but it's not even close to a "Huge success", and if it launched on steam too, it would've only been better for everyone, software house included.

A success is when you get enough sales to keep going, because it means your bottom line is positive and you can keep your team employed. In that sense, going on review counts alone, Metro Exodus is potentially a bigger seller than its prequels because it already has the same review count just over a month post-release. Define 'Huge'... 10 million? 20? 100? Stop circling the hot pile and just admit you have no idea and you have not provided ANY sources that prove otherwise, all you have is your clouded gut feeling versus actual numbers and news reports.

Another writing on the wall is the scope of the game itself. It has become a LOT bigger than its predecessors and will likely receive further DLC treatment down the road.

And... yes. Successful franchises get sequels. Do I really need to give you a list of examples, is the plank really that thick?

Warlen

EDIT: (response to yours above) They all do it? A few years back everyone did VR, look where that is at today. They all TRY it and they fail left and right as quickly as new services get fired up. Its a novelty on the marketplace, and everyone wants to get their share of the pie. In the long run, a few large players will dominate, even if only because of the problems I pointed out above. You can't feasibly have dozens of services and make good use of them all.

Yes they do. Hulu was free, Youtube didn't have a paid model, most movies and TV shows were on Netflix, now most Channels have their own paid access.

Incorporating VR is far and away different than adding a monthly fee onto something already in place. We are already seeing the trend into this with Origin Premiere Access getting games weeks in advance.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Yes they do. Hulu was free, Youtube didn't have a paid model, most movies and TV shows were on Netflix, now most Channels have their own paid access.

Incorporating VR is far and away different than adding a monthly fee onto something already in place. We are already seeing the trend into this with Origin Premiere Access getting games weeks in advance.

You're right about that. I'm just not convinced it will stick, time will tell...

Processor i7 2600K
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
A success is when you get enough sales to keep going, because it means your bottom line is positive. In that sense, going on review counts alone, Metro Exodus is potentially a bigger seller than its prequels because it already has the same review count just over a month post-release. Define 'Huge'... 10 million? 20? 100? Stop circling the hot pile and just admit you have no idea and you have not provided ANY sources that prove otherwise, all you have is your clouded gut feeling versus actual numbers and news reports.

I don't know, huge is something else, huge is something only battle royale games recently reached, and having more reviews on metascore means nothing as i already said, it's not a reliable source, never was. It's you having no idea what you're talking about like most of the time you write on this forum regarding anything really. I have myself as source, which is surely more valuable than what you're using as "source", just stop it with this aggressive ignorant posting of yours you're by far one of the lamest users in this forum.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I don't know, huge is something else, huge is something only battle royale games recently reached, and having more reviews on metascore means nothing as i already said, it's not a reliable source, never was. It's you having no idea what you're talking about like most of the time you write on this forum regarding anything really. I have myself as source, which is surely more valuable than what you're using as "source", just stop it with this aggressive ignorant posting of yours you're by far one of the lamest users in this forum.

So asking for a source is now aggressive and ignorant, while ignoring any and all sources provided is good form.

Thanks for the update.

Processor i7 2600K
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
So asking for a source is now aggressive and ignorant, while ignoring any and all sources provided is good form.

Thanks for the update.

No, writing like you do with your choice of word is.
Stop asking for a source, there's no reliable source for these things, especially this close to the launch of a game, what you claim to be a source just isn't, no matter you keep pushing that at all costs, it isn't, because reviews say nothing, and mean nothing, you have no idea where those reviews come from what they say. No problems for the update.

As long as it is still on UPlay, I do not mind (because I have ordered it on UPlay).

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
I don't see what the fuss is, aside from the fact that the game was listed on pre-order for Steam and it's now getting pulled after the fact (that's pretty shitty).

Ubisoft publishes the game (series) Anno. I'm kind of surprised they haven't started pulling more games from Steam to be strictly sold on their Uplay store. Look at EA. When was the last time EA released a game on Steam? According to search by Publisher on Steam, and sorting by Release date:

YEAH! Sims 3! (what a garbage game, if you ask me)

EA shifted from Steam, but left a lot of older games they already offered on Steam to be available through Steam (though they probably require Origin to be used to actually play the games), so they didn't truly cut ties with Steam, they just stopped offering newer games.

Steam needs a kick in the ass to correct how it does thing. More and more companies are coming around with their digital stores. Steam will soon feel the pinch once they start to lose enough of their slice of the pie. They'll have to adjust how much they cut off the top for their take. They may even realize that companies with big, triple A games (Tom Clancy games on Uplay, BattleField games on Origin and so on) are keeping the sales and more money for themselves by skirting Steam and using their own digital store or other launchers (such as EPIC) that takes a much smaller cut.....maybe Steam will stop f'ing around and get back into game development....?

Processor AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard ASRock TRX40 Creator
Cooling NH-U14S TR4-SP3
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 8x8GB
Video Card(s) RTX A6000
Storage WD SN850
Power Supply 1000W EVGA SuperNova P2
Valve needs to stop milking developers. Their "steam tax" is way too high. Sure, as a gamer and a consumer I want all of my games to be in one convenient place, but if that means that less money has to be spent by stusios on developing quality games because they have to take "steam tax" into account, then I will have to support other services.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I don't see what the fuss is, aside from the fact that the game was listed on pre-order for Steam and it's now getting pulled after the fact (that's pretty shitty).

If that's not illegal, it is at least immoral. You take advantage of the platform to rake in money when you have no product and when you do, you take your business elsewhere. Definitely not cool.

Valve needs to stop milking developers. Their "steam tax" is way too high. Sure, as a gamer and a consumer I want all of my games to be in one convenient place, but if that means that less money has to be spent by stusios on developing quality games because they have to take "steam tax" into account, then I will have to support other services.
Valve is free to charge whatever they want for their service. The trouble is, till now it was their service or bust because outside of publisher run stores, there was only GOG. That has changed.

Processor i7 2600K
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80

Valve offers much much more (not bribing though) to real developers compared to anyone else, their 20 to 30% cut is justified most of the times.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Valve offers much much more (not bribing though) to real developers compared to anyone else, their 20 to 30% cut is justified most of the times.

I hate to be an asshole but again... source? We have no idea what deals have been struck with Epic and we have no idea whether or not Steam's cut is justifiable either... All we know is they generate some free keys and offer a discount on large revenues...

Check this out - reviews, overall score and number of it.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/412020/Metro_Exodus/

Doesn't look like a boycot to me.

And how about this then, for numbers

2883 ratings (over a much longer period of time)

View attachment 120071

versus... 2788 in a month post launch.

View attachment 120072

Reality check...

That only tells how popular the Metro series got, not purchase numbers, (steam does but not everyone will review it, hard to know the real numbers) and that popularity is to expect since they invested most of their budget on marketing to reach as much people as possible. You could see advertisements in so many gaming sites and youtube. It was a spam fest for a few months.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
If that's not illegal, it is at least immoral. You take advantage of the platform to rake in money when you have no product and when you do, you take your business elsewhere. Definitely not cool.

Not arguing. I even said it was a pretty shitty move.

Now, unless Steam has something in their "sell your game on our platform" contract that says you can't pull your game and they make it illegal, a publisher can do whatever they want with their game even after they offered it up on Steam.

I looked through (quickly, it is possible I missed something) the Documentation you go through for posting games on Steam and I didn't see anything mentioned about pulling a game off steam. Other then the fact that you'd be obligated by consumer rights to still offer the game to those that paid or issue a refund. You can go through the documentation here, if you're bored.....and I'm not that bored, nor do I have the time to read every single word while I'm at work.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Not to mention the work Valve did on getting games to run on Linux.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
That only tells how popular the Metro series got, not purchase numbers, and that is to expect since they invested most of their budget on marketing to reach as much people as possible. You could see advertisements in so many gaming sites and youtube. It was a spam fest for a few months.

That's probably part of it, but then again, compare it to other well marketed games. Its not very likely for random people to place a review on metacritic when they don't own the game, and even if there are some, those also exist for every other game so you can easily cross them off against one another. The sample size is pretty decent here.

Here's another comparison: also released at around the same time, with a 50 million player peak... and free to play.

728x

I think you can safely cross off a lot of ifs and buts to the reliability but what remains is a pretty solid indication.

1554210633507.png

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Not arguing. I even said it was a pretty shitty move.

Now, unless Steam has something in their "sell your game on our platform" contract that says you can't pull your game and they make it illegal, a publisher can do whatever they want with their game even after they offered it up on Steam.

I looked through (quickly, it is possible I missed something) the Documentation you go through for posting games on Steam and I didn't see anything mentioned about pulling a game off steam. Other then the fact that you'd be obligated by consumer rights to still offer the game to those that paid or issue a refund. You can go through the documentation here, if you're bored.....and I'm not that bored, nor do I have the time to read every single word while I'm at work.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the move was covered by their contracts. What I was hinting at is I wouldn't mind seeing these moves forbidden. You took advantage of pre-orders? Sell on that store for 6-12 months at least.
At the same time, I realize this was caused by Epic Store not being around when per-orders started. Maybe without this particular conjecture, we won't see dick moves like this again.

Processor 9700K
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge
Memory 32GB Micron VLP 18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1
Video Card(s) 3090 FE
Display(s) Samsung G9 NEO
Case Formd T1
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Steam needs to make it so if you advertise your game on Steam, by putting your game on Steams store, you agree to launch it there. Back out, pay the divorce fees.

Processor i7 2600K
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
I hate to be an asshole but again... source? We have no idea what deals have been struck with Epic and we have no idea whether or not Steam's cut is justifiable either... All we know is they generate some free keys and offer a discount on large revenues...

Logic is your friend. Why you developer with a new game would you go and publish on the worst platform PC has right now? Why worst? Just compare the features of EGS with any other launcher or platform present on PC, you'll find EGS is the one with less features and has issues more frequently than any other platform. Oh and i forgot to mention that, not only those devs publish on the worst platform, but they make that game exclusive for a whole year on that platform only - If it's not money what is then? Revenge? Cmon...

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Logic is your friend. Why you developer with a new game would you go and publish on the worst platform PC has right now? Why worst? Just compare the features of EGS with any other launcher or platform present on PC, you'll find EGS is the one with less features and has issues more frequently than any other platform. Oh and i forgot to mention that, not only those devs publish on the worst platform, but they make that game exclusive for a whole year on that platform only - If it's not money what is then? Revenge? Cmon...

Worst platform is an opinion mostly pushed forward by flaming reddit posts with extensive lists of feature gaps. Not by developers. Metro has no real mod support, so workshop = irrelevant and I'd say that is one of the major perks Steam can offer a developer, a mod framework. It saves dev time and adds to game popularity, so that can be translated to actual profit.

But friends lists, and other community features, trading cards... all of that is largely irrelevant to a developer looking to release a game. These perks only matter to the end user and are unrelated to the game. Also, developers don't really choose. Publishers choose, and they look at the bottom line only.

I realize its all about money, but what Steam does is not all that unique or essential to a developer or publisher. What they care about is reach of a platform and in that, Steam has better reach but we also see a steady trend of people getting their content elsewhere. So, again, we have no clue whether Steam really does have such a great offer. Our consumer logic doesn't always apply on the business side... in fact it usually doesn't.