• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TSMC Completes 5 nm Design Infrastructure, Paving the Way for Silicon Advancement

Cloud will never replace local computing, not unless Google, MS, Amazon start subsidizing their cloud.
Even then most people don't care. I'm not storing anything in the cloud and I'm certainly not going to operate fully that way. Ever. Lot's of people share that sentiment.

cut down vega die (60 cu) at 1750mhz with 300w tdp
full vega die (64 cu) at 1670mhz with 345w tdp
not even close to being good enough for a 14nm-7nm shrink
Those numbers also make a lot of assumptions and generalizations. It's far more complicated than that, and you know this.

We've been through this in other threads.. Never gonna happen! While the cloud has it's uses, it can not and will not replace standard operation methodologies for the common/general user.
Indeed, we've been through this in other threads and I believe not much has changed.
I'll be frank but as polite as I can.

You seem like a nice guy (piracy stuff put aside). I know you're building/tuning PCs and you know a lot about it (more than me for sure).
You have absolutely no idea about enterprise computing. It's obvious to me and every forum member in this business will sense it as well.
It also seems you have limited understanding of how casual PC users do stuff today (you don't believe in cloud, you're not very enthusiastic about laptops etc).

Learn something about datacenters and cloud if you really want to. Or keep doing what you're good at. I don't care.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
Those numbers also make a lot of assumptions and generalizations. It's far more complicated than that, and you know this.
is it ?
R7 perf per wat numbers aren't that much better than Vega,still behind 1080Ti

and it's mostly due to massive bandwidth increase,the process itself left most of us unimpressed.
I'm a simple guy,I look at the basics mostly and prefer numbers to intricate theories :)
I don't really jump on hype trains either.Like, I do understand the high expectaions for Zen 3000,but does early 7nm really produce that much better parts than refined 14/16nm ? And do we really need two ccx's and two dies for a six core cpu in 2019 ?

Last edited:
Learn something about datacenters and cloud if you really want to. Or keep doing what you're good at. I don't care.
There's a few things you need to clear up yourself, what sort of cloud you're talking about? Moving data, lots of data, serving customers around the globe - yes that's where AWS, Azure, Google work wonders. Need to crunch numbers, rendering, sensitive code or proprietary stuff - nope, lot of that is done locally & for good reason. If you really think cloud was where everything was headed, how about you look at AMD & Intel's retail (HEDT included) numbers? If not then check them out, not everything is about multi billion dollar companies.

(piracy stuff put aside)
?
You have absolutely no idea about enterprise computing.
That's an assumption. But again, I'm not talking about enterprise and business needs where the cloud has tremendous application potential. I'm talking about the general public in reference to cloud computing/gaming as you stated earlier.
It also seems you have limited understanding of how casual PC users do stuff today (you don't believe in cloud, you're not very enthusiastic about laptops etc).
Not at all. I sell/service more laptops than desktops. I understand my client base very well. Most people have no interest in cloud computing/gaming/storage.

However, we're a bit off-topic here. Let's agree to disagree and rope it in a bit.
is it ?
R7 perf per wat numbers aren't that much better than Vega,still behind 1080Ti

and it's mostly due to massive bandwidth increase,the process itself left most of us unimpressed.
I'm a simple guy,I look at the basics mostly and prefer numbers to intricate theories :)
I don't really jump on hype trains either.Like, I do understand the high expectations for Zen 3000,but does early 7nm really produce that much better parts than refined 14/16nm ? And do we really need two ccx's and two dies for a six core cpu in 2019 ?
While your point is easy to see, the jump to 7nm was and remains a difficult one. The performance improvements offered by 7nm are compelling enough and improve enough to be considerable. For Turing to jump to 7nm would be a serious advantage as it would offer that much more performance to that GPU platform, to say nothing of a jump to 5nm.

Technically they aren't but they are competing with AMD+TSMC as a whole & previously TSMC+ARM in the mobile space. Guess what they lost the latter with billions of dollars down the drain, even when the competition was using inferior nodes.
I'm not sure about that. Yes, an "Atom smartphone" idea was a failure, but I'm not sure if they had high hopes.
Intel's tablet/ultrabook platform is doing perfectly fine.

they aren't even second best in most other categories!
I'd argue that Intel is at the forefront of WiFi, IoT, AI (car AI in particular) and non-volatile memory of all sorts.
They may not be first or second in some products, but they're in top3 of almost everything computer-related. That's not a bad position.
The amount of time & money spent in promoting most of these products is staggering, in some cases they bribed, threatened even contra revenued the competition. Intel is a lot of things but the one thing they're not is a (tech) leader that you'd look upto.
Intel is a huge company, but they still want to grow. They're trying new things all the time. Some will fail, some will stick. You can't expect them to be best at everything they try.
By comparison, AMD has the "comfort" of focusing on CPUs. But if they ever reach those 30-50% they used to have some time ago, they'll need to look into other possibilities as well. In fact exactly that happened more than a decade ago, when they bought ATI.

Look at Samsung. They're a chaebol, they make countless things in very different industries.
At some point Samsung decided they'll make mirrorless cameras. And many agree that what they came up with was the most advanced gear at that time. And you know what? They quit. It didn't match their profit expectations.

The fact that Intel (or any other company) leaves a particular business doesn't mean they failed to deliver a good product. It means it doesn't provide the financial figures they require.
Cloud will never replace local computing, not unless Google, MS, Amazon start subsidizing their cloud.
"Cloud" is not a paid service that Google, MS and Amazon sell you. Cloud is a concept. You can set your private cloud on your private server.

System Name Purple rain
Cooling Noctua D15S
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
?

That's an assumption. But again, I'm not talking about enterprise and business needs where the cloud has tremendous application potential. I'm talking about the general public in reference to cloud computing/gaming as you stated earlier.

Not at all. I sell/service more laptops than desktops. I understand my client base very well. Most people have no interest in cloud computing/gaming/storage.

However, we're a bit off-topic here. Let's agree to disagree and rope it in a bit.

While your point is easy to see, the jump to 7nm was and remains a difficult one. The performance improvements offered by 7nm are compelling enough and improve enough to be considerable. For Turing to jump to 7nm would be a serious advantage as it would offer that much more performance to that GPU platform, to say nothing of a jump to 5nm.
we'll see,they may have reserved the best 7nm so far for ryzen.

M2B

Processor Intel Core i5-8600K @4.9GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB
Memory XPG 8GBx2 - 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX 1080 OC Edition 8G 11Gbps
Storage 2x Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U
Case Thermaltake View 71 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
Power Supply EVGA 650 P2
current 7nm is just the prelude to 7nm EUV that's the real deal.Nvidia is waiting for 7nm EUV (7nm+) cause current 7nm that we see on RVII and Zen 3000 is not really that much of a game changer.
TSMC's 12nm (refined 16nm) that it's supplying for turing works almost as good as 7nm on R7.You can see R7 clocks pretty badly given how vega liquid could do 1700mhz stock on 14nm and R7 needs water cooling capable of almost 500W to reach 2100mhz, that 2080Ti comes close to doing on air on refined 16nm.
process number is not the whole story.

The 7nm EUV is just a different solution to reduce the manufacturing costs, as far as I know.
It's not necessarily more efficient than the current Non-EUV process.
And keep in mind Nvidia did gain a lot more performance by going from 28nm to 16nm than AMD did so Radeon VII might not be the best example.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Before we get maxed out on 5nm, almost all computing activities will be moved to cloud - gaming included (at least for the people that can accept the idea).
And you'll be looking like a dinosaur with your ever-growing chiplet CPU. :)

Incorrect. Even Google Stadia is causing deaths to be due to latency issues, the problem of latency will never be solved unless the entire nation moves to advanced fiber optics point to point across entire nation, and that will never happen, even Google Fiber is cancelling some cities it had planned and pulling out of others due to failure.

Have fun with your 60 fps 4k on Google Stadia :) I will be doing 165hz 1440p thanks, take care now.

rumors are 3700x hits 5ghz boost. if true and I can OC that to be true for all 8 cores... Intel might even lose the IPC battle.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Let's review...

So, you're telling me that AMD is going to skip 7nm EUV, the process that is basically for these higher power chips, and go straight to 5nm all in a year? How long were stuck on 12/14/16 and all of a sudden we are going from 12 to 5 in one generation?

Risk Production for 7nm started around April 2017. It is now April 2019 and we still don't have meaningful 7nm. I don't know if I really count VII, it is 7nm but it may as well not have been.

So if we take that 7nm Ryzen launches at Computex and 5nm risk started in January, two and half more years puts us at June 2021. Do you think AMD is going to sit on the 3000 series until 2021? And of course 5nm is going to be perfect on the first try. I mean it isn't like Intel is having problems or anything.

I don't.

cut down vega die (60 cu) at 1750mhz with 300w tdp
full vega die (64 cu) at 1670mhz with 345w tdp
not a game changer.

Keep in mind that clocks aren't solely determined by node but also by architecture.

But the interesting part is what I've read over time places the physical limit of a Si transistor at or around 5nm. The next decade will get really interesting.
Organic Microprocessors.
We feed them with Lamb Steak and Orange Juice Instead of electricity. :D

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
So they have the backbone and dev tools in place to make something called 5Nm now, in initial risk production status, Once you have actually finished a design using these process guide and control tools.

That's 9 months before we hear how good this is doing at risk production is'nt it?

Probably not going to rule the world this year , possibly for 2020 h2 phones of the top end variety , If it all goes well.

And personally i expect cloud uptake for gaming to be big but , the bells have tolled for pc gameing before and the cutting edge can still only be had one way ,PC.

it will shrug off this assault (cloud) for a great many years yet imho, since too many things are not quite there universally ie bandwidth.

Last edited:
current 7nm is just the prelude to 7nm EUV that's the real deal.Nvidia is waiting for 7nm EUV (7nm+) cause current 7nm that we see on RVII and Zen 3000 is not really that much of a game changer.
TSMC's 12nm (refined 16nm) that it's supplying for turing works almost as good as 7nm on R7.You can see R7 clocks pretty badly given how vega liquid could do 1700mhz stock on 14nm and R7 needs water cooling capable of almost 500W to reach 2100mhz, that 2080Ti comes close to doing on air on refined 16nm.

Nope so much wrong in this post. The first gen 7nm is 'the real deal' in terms of performance gains/power savings over TSMC's 12nm+ process. 7nm EUV doesn't bring such a jump it's just laying the groundwork for EUV to be more extensively used in 5nm, which is more like a true EUV process, which is what you think 7nm EUV is.

System Name Purple rain
Cooling Noctua D15S
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
Nope so much wrong in this post. The first gen 7nm is 'the real deal' in terms of performance gains/power savings over TSMC's 12nm+ process. 7nm EUV doesn't bring such a jump it's just laying the groundwork for EUV to be more extensively used in 5nm, which is more like a true EUV process, which is what you think 7nm EUV is.
okay,but could you please learn what the -1 button is for ?

Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Aorus B-550I Pro AX
Cooling HEATKILLER IV PRO , EKWB Vector FTW3 3080/3090 , Barrow res + Xylem DDC 4.2, SE 240 + Dabel 20b 240
Memory Viper Steel 4000 PVS416G400C6K
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVMe + Samsung 980 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Power Supply CORSAIR SF750
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Meletrix Zoom 75 GT Silver
Software Windows 11 22H2

You can't compare 7nm with 12/16nm just by comparing R7 and 2080Ti clocks you just can't since the architectural differences are huge and play a big role in clock speeds .

okay,but could you please learn what the -1 button is for ?

That's not me downvoting your posts, it's the words in them that's responsible for that.

Listen, you'll see how much of a 'real deal' TSMC's first gen of 7nm is when our fave Nvidia uses it for their next generation of graphics cards. It will blow Turing out the water believe me. Radeon 7 should not be used as a gauge of its merits, as that is basically a tweaked 7nm Pro card (M160) repurposed for gaming.

2901BitSlice

Also, don't unify TSMC and AMD. TSMC is just a supplier - they sell to the highest bidder. If Intel decides to become a TSMC client, there will be no supply left for AMD.

It would be a Hot Day on Pluto before TSMC takes business from Intel at any price. The risk of Intel lifting TSMC's Technology to back engineer their own manufacturing process is very high. Why would TSMC throw away their trade secrets ?

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Quantum Guard? Do you realize how funny that sounds?
I do. I meant it that way ;)
>5nm
That's a marketing name of the process. Actual sizes proposed for TSMC's 5nmprocess is 44nm for transistor gate pitch and 32nm for the interconnect. This is nowhere the sizes where quantum mechanics start getting in the way.
I know, that why I said things will get interesting in the next decade. We haven't hit that limit yet, we may do so in 10 years.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Not really, they will just move to a chiplet design, well AMD already, have you seen pictures of Ryzen 3700? There is room for another chip on the die. When everyone is on 5nm and maxed out, they will just make the die bigger and add more chiplets and scale it.

IPC will probably be dead though.
AMD have themselves stated that they expect clocks to drop with the new nodes, and nothing so far indicates that either TSMC, Samsung or Intel at their new or upcoming nodes will reach 6-7 GHz. My expectations is that we are near or at the peak of clock speeds with the current type of semiconductor technology.

The new nodes will make it possible to squeeze more cores into small dies, but it will come at a cost. Firstly, the node efficiency gains alone are not enough to maintain clock speeds, and current Coffee Lake and Zen+ CPUs are already in throttle territory. The other problem with more cores is diminishing returns, as most non-server workloads are synchronized. This means that in reality adding many more cores doesn't really compensate for slower cores, in fact, with ever-increasing core count core speed becomes more important to maintain good performance scaling.

So, with clock speeds stalled once again, the future of performance scaling is pretty much depending on what we commonly refer to as "IPC". Intel's upcoming Sunny Cove/Ice Lake and Golden Cove(2021) will both feature IPC gains. The other big area of improvement is SIMD, namely AVX. Ice Lake will bring AVX-512 to the mainstream, and while Zen 2 will bring an appreciated doubling of AVX2 performance, it still lacks AVX-512 for now. AVX is in generally underutilized, which is sad, since AVX and multithreading combined scales incredible well for both vendors.

The 7nm EUV is just a different solution to reduce the manufacturing costs, as far as I know.

It's not necessarily more efficient than the current Non-EUV process.
EUV is expected to increase production speed and improve yields, perhaps even giving a small performance increase too.

Both Intel and TSMC has struggled a lot on their new nodes. It's been a year since Intel started shipping their first 10nm parts, and the volumes have been really low, and the yields I guess are embarrassingly low.
TSMC have been somewhat more successful with their "7nm" HPC node producing medium sized chips, but still unable to ship anything in volumes. I'm really curious how this is going to pan out for Zen 2, which luckily have their "chiplet" design, but I still wonder what kind of tricks TSMC may have up their sleeve, since shipping "hundreds" of chips this time is not going to cut it.

And keep in mind Nvidia did gain a lot more performance by going from 28nm to 16nm than AMD did so Radeon VII might not be the best example.
I think the point was that Vega 64 => Radeon VII is the same architecture on two different nodes, and with a roughly comparable configuration.
Maxwell => Pascal featured some architectural improvements and a large increase in shader processors, which is something Radeon VII did not.

Reactions: M2B
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
And for many years, when Intel was the only party doing advanced CPUs, that might have been true. Not because of Intel's greatness. Semiconductor and processor technology is not limited by some corporations' R&D. What you can buy today is basically what our civilization is capable of at given moment.
GPUs and ARM were few years behind on tech, because they didn't need to be on the edge. They kept using well known, cheaper fab node that has been around for longer.

ARM: because no one knew how to use its potential.
GPUs: because they were used for gaming and no one cared. I mean: we had some GPUs that gave us some fps in some games. No benchmark. We really didn't know if that's the limit of this tech.
But then Nvidia started improving performance by 20% yearly. With CPUs we're getting ~5% yearly because of tech limits. This means gaming GPUs were many years behind.

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. It's not that important. Intel is making their own CPUs, so they aren't competing with TSMC.
Intel did make a 10nm product as a showcase (a tiny CPU for laptops) before TSMC launched 7nm. They have the tech. It just wasn't profitable.

I don't see this "copying". MCM is a very old idea, which both Intel and AMD (among many other companies) utilized over the years.
Now, what Intel does in marketing (calling competition's product "glued") is something totally separate from what they do in engineering. It's better to make marketing mistakes and good products than other way around.
And MCM is a huge compromise - something that should be seen as the last resort. So yes, Intel tries to avoid it at all cost, but at this moment they didn't manage to compete with EPYC without it. When they move to smaller node with good yield, maybe MCM won't be needed anymore.

I'm not sure what you meant here (you gave few answers but haven't partitioned my post). The cloud part? I meant exactly what I is written there.
Computing will be covered by cloud in 5 years tops. By "covered" I mean: you won't need a high performing PC at all, for any task.
Today you still need to do some things locally - gaming being the obvious example. But I'm sure you've noticed we're getting awfully close.

And of course cloud will always be priced to compete with intermittent hardware use. So if you game for 2-3h a week, cloud should be cheaper. But if you run a computing node 24/7, hardware will remain the cheaper option.

This is 20/20 hindsight speak, and really has little value, sorry mate. GPU was never 'behind'.

What we have today is not what our civilization is capable of, it is what is economically feasible. Totally different approach, but far more realistic if you ask me. You act like CPU development is carried along in great science endeavours like CERN - its not. Its a completely different ball game with a completely different dynamic. This is mostly true because CPU/GPU performance is scalable and its a mass consumer product.

Node shrinks are one primary example of an economical problem. Its only worth it if you can sell it. But we can do it no problem, it just takes a huge amount of time and resources. For GPU, the reason it developed as it did was because the demand changed over time.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
I would bet that this "5nm" process is still worse than Intel's 10nm process. But I guess it has availability going for it! Samsung, TSMC et al have always been very fast and loose on what they base their xxNM claims on, as a lower number always looks great on the marketing bumpf.

However, I would say that these fabs have almost caught up with Intel.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
I would bet that this "5nm" process is still worse than Intel's 10nm process. But I guess it has availability going for it! Samsung, TSMC et al have always been very fast and loose on what they base their xxNM claims on, as a lower number always looks great on the marketing bumpf.

However, I would say that these fabs have almost caught up with Intel.

Yeah, when 10nm is worse than 14 lol. Good one.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Yeah, when 10nm is worse than 14 lol. Good one.
I believe he's referring to how TSMC and Samsung count their nm to make it look like they have a lead on Intel. And they do technically, because they can draw smaller features. But when you take a step back and look at the bigger picture, they're not really offering higher transistor density, which is what matters at the end of the day.
However, all of that is purely academic, 7nm you can buy trumps 10nm you can't, no matter the actual density :D

System Name 06/2023
Processor R7 7800X3D
Motherboard ROG STRIX B650E-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Custom 240mm cooling (for CPU) with noctua nfa12x25 and Phantek T30
Memory 32gb Gskill 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 dual asus deshrouded with 120mm NF-A12x25
Storage 2tb samsung 990 pro + 4tb samsung 870 evo
Display(s) Asus 27" Oled PG27AQDM + Asus 27" IPS PG279QM
Case Ncase M1 v6.1
Audio Device(s) Steelseries arctis pro wireless + Shure SM7b with Steinberg UR
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair scimitar pro (this mouse need an overall guys pls) + Logitech G Pro wireless with powerplay
Keyboard Sharkoon purewriter
Software windows 11
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 !
But the interesting part is what I've read over time places the physical limit of a Si transistor at or around 5nm. The next decade will get really interesting.

The process node is called 5nm, but nothing is made in 5nm. Just marketing names.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
"Cloud" is not a paid service that Google, MS and Amazon sell you. Cloud is a concept. You can set your private cloud on your private server.

No. Cloud is indeed understood (as a whole) that it is external computing services and storage provided by external businesses. Yes, you can set up your servers to perform as a self-serving, on-premises cloud, but that does not redefine what we refer to as the cloud.