• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel to Exit 5G Smartphone Modem Business, Focus on 5G Network Infrastructure

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel Corporation today announced its intention to exit the 5G smartphone modem business and complete an assessment of the opportunities for 4G and 5G modems in PCs, internet of things devices and other data-centric devices. Intel will also continue to invest in its 5G network infrastructure business. The company will continue to meet current customer commitments for its existing 4G smartphone modem product line, but does not expect to launch 5G modem products in the smartphone space, including those originally planned for launches in 2020.

"We are very excited about the opportunity in 5G and the 'cloudification' of the network, but in the smartphone modem business it has become apparent that there is no clear path to profitability and positive returns," said Intel CEO Bob Swan. "5G continues to be a strategic priority across Intel, and our team has developed a valuable portfolio of wireless products and intellectual property. We are assessing our options to realize the value we have created, including the opportunities in a wide variety of data-centric platforms and devices in a 5G world." Intel expects to provide additional details in its upcoming first-quarter 2019 earnings release and conference call, scheduled for April 25.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
No wonder Apple and Qualcomm settled out of courts, then.

In local news, it was relayed it being almost impossible to upheave Huawei from the network grid. I don't know the details, but that is it for today's Turkish news section.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
They Couldn't compete.

Intel's modem business was not worth much anyway, also they might've spent millions if not billions trying to get 5G & that contract from Apple!

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Profit margins? Smartphone modem business, especially with Apple is likely to have high volume but low margins. Even if Intel has the technology the effort is better spent somewhere else.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Also keep in mind that they lost a lot of CPU production capacity due to making the modem chips for Apple. This will give them back that, over time.

Modem chips are small & IIRC this was supposed to be on 10nm, so no this doesn't help them much. They;ll have to transition some of the 14nm & many 10nm fabs to 7nm & take it from there.

Modem chips are small & IIRC this was supposed to be on 10nm, so no this doesn't help them much. They;ll have to transition some of the 14nm & many 10nm fabs to 7nm & take it from there.

Apple was probably feed up with their inability to transition to 10nm and meet their needs. Also analyst pegged Intel to be atleast 1yr behind Qualcomm in 5g development. Left them no choice but to make up with their bitter Ex.

Last edited:
A good decision if Intel did the first move (and forced Apple and Qualcomm to grow up).
A great coincidence if Apple and Qualcomm agreement forced this.

There are some rumors that Intel may scrap the whole modem division. That's very, very unlikely given their position and importance of it for their ecosystem.
But the smartphone was a burden.
The original plan was to make SoCs for smartphones. It didn't work out and Intel was left with a very low margin product and very long contract with Apple...

A good decision if Intel did the first move (and forced Apple and Qualcomm to grow up).
A great coincidence if Apple and Qualcomm agreement forced this.

There are some rumors that Intel may scrap the whole modem division. That's very, very unlikely given their position and importance of it for their ecosystem.
But the smartphone was a burden.
The original plan was to make SoCs for smartphones. It didn't work out and Intel was left with a very low margin product and very long contract with Apple...
I think a common theme is task energy expenditure. Qualcomm is even better than Apple at this and we are not even considering their inhouse broadband IP, just their Arm licensee SnapDragon cpus.

I think a common theme is task energy expenditure. Qualcomm is even better than Apple at this and we are not even considering their inhouse broadband IP, just their Arm licensee SnapDragon cpus.
Well who knows... Certainly I don't - I'm not that much into smartphones, I don't track the latest news. But we know iPhone was lagging behind Android smartphones in LTE performance.
So Intel was making a chip that either wasn't very good or Apple could implement it properly. Maybe they'll have more luck with Qualcomm. That said, Android phones have modems integrated in SoC, so they may be hard to beat even using the same tech.

What matters on the Intel side is that they're quitting a bad business and can focus on something else.
I think this sums it up pretty well:

1555487699753.png

Processor 3900X
Motherboard ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
Cooling Noctua D15
Memory 32GB GeIL EVO X 3600
Video Card(s) RTX3080 EVGA FTW 3
Storage 1.6TH Fuze drive + 970EVO M2 + 3 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) VP2770-LED, BDM4350UC, S2716DGR, AW3418DW
Case Vector RS
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V377 + PolK RSi Surround
Power Supply Fractal 860 Ion +
Mouse Corsair M56
Keyboard G710+
Infineon must feel like they robbed a bank after selling that unit to Intel

D

Deleted member 158293

Guess Qualcomm called Apple's & Intel's bluff.

Edit: and WOW looks like Qualcomm gave Apple quite a spanking in the process!

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Infineon must feel like they robbed a bank after selling that unit to Intel
Just like Dre after scamming Apple for a couple of Billions with those shitty overrated "Beats" headphones... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just like Dre after scamming Apple for a couple of Billions with those shitty overrated "Beats" headphones... :laugh::laugh::laugh:
"Beats" most likely already earned Apple few times more than they paid for the brand. Not the best comparison.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Can't make much these days, can you Intel? When was the last new CPU architecture released? Do you still know how to make a new one? I really wonder...

But how the mighty have fallen. Apple will ditch Intel ASAP now, and to be honest, it will be the best thing they can do. The A13X will match or beat anything Intel have planed in the consumer desktop space for the next 2 years, and by then, Apple will have released the A14X, which will beat anything Intel has for the next 5 years.

You're all done now Intel, it's just a matter of time.

Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11

And nearly all of it simple iterations on designs approaching 5+ years old.

And before you post their earnings report, I fully understand that they make buckets of cash. One day, somebody else will overtake them, then those profits will fall. Intel has done nothing of note for 10 years now, unless you count Optane, but that was a lot of Micron work as well...

And nearly all of it simple iterations on designs approaching 5+ years old.

And before you post their earnings report, I fully understand that they make buckets of cash. One day, somebody else will overtake them, then those profits will fall. Intel has done nothing of note for 10 years now, unless you count Optane, but that was a lot of Micron work as well...
Yeah, I don't get your point.
Intel is a company and their goal is to earn money.
I don't know what you expect from them. More importantly: do you expect the same from e.g. shoe manufacturers? Why is Intel so special?

I don't know what you expect from them. More importantly: do you expect the same from e.g. shoe manufacturers? Why is Intel so special?
Which shoe brands did you have in mind, out of interest?

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Do I really need to spoon feed you like this...?

Intel are at the top of the microprocessor industry, mainly by making the best products, sometimes better by miles. That WAS Intel, upto 11+ years ago, and since then, they have all but given up on high end architecture design. They struck gold with Nehalem (Core i7) in 2008, like they struck gold many times before then, however this was the last new, built from the ground up architecture they have released ever since. Most say this is due to zero competition, and this is probably true. However, Intel do have competition now, and have shown themselves unable to answer AMD, and instead create a fake demand for their CPUs by saying they can't make enough bs etc...

The point is, we have serious security exploits in all modern Intel CPUs, and customers years later, still cannot buy an Intel CPU with all of these exploits patched in hardware, not firmware, despite Intel promising hardware level fixes in the interim, followed by a new architecture some time soon. We are still waiting, and Intel are about to get some very serious competition, with seemingly no answer for it, apart from gluing more power hungry, hot, ancient cores together, something they said was an amature approach when AMD did it first, with great success!

If you don't want to look at CPUs, look at the shit their graphics are in! Now they have bought and paid for most of the industories experts to try and reset their floundering business decisions over the past 12 years, at massive cost to them, most likely in the billions.

Intel of today owe all they have to those that did all the work years ago. Even their Ethernet chips are no different year after year. Look it up on their ARK if you don't believe me. Same old chips, different model numbers.

Their mb chipsets are no better, most being based on 10 year old designs, with USB3 bolted on extra, and legacy stuff fused off, instead of a new design.

Intel are fast approaching the time where their old stuff will simply not be as good as other peoples, and they will have to spend serious money and take years in designing true, next gen products.

This is successful for them now, but how much longer can they keep this up for? Billions of dollars wasted due to the incompetence of their graphics department, the CPU department are not much better off either, and will cost billions to design a new CPU architecture. Meanwhile, competition is coming, and it's not shit anymore, as Apple, Qualcomm, AMD etc will show us.

And to answer your shoe question, if Nike pulled an Intel, and sold the exact same shoes, except for upto 5% longer laces every 2 years, for nearly 12 years, do you think we would all still be buying them today? Do you think Adidas would have handed it to them, or Puma or Reebok? Come on.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
They struck gold with Nehalem (Core i7) in 2008, like they struck gold many times before then, however this was the last new, built from the ground up architecture they have released ever since.

Actually that would be Sandy Bridge.

Nehalem was a heavily adapted Pentium era core with the memory controller integrated.

Sandy Bridge was the first true ground up redesign.