• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Epic's Tim Sweeney Says They'd Stop Hunting for Exclusives if Steam Matched Epic Games Store in Comission Rates

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
So what about the Steam keys that Valve provides for free to devs/pubs to sell on other stores like GMG, Humble Bundle, Amazon... Keys they have 0% cut on. They practically lose money on those keys.

How on earth did you conclude they hand those out for free? I certainly would not assume such, but I've never published on steam so could be wrong. Citation please as it seems outlandish.

"Steam keys that Valve provides"? I believe you got it all backwards...

Of course valve provides them... who else would? They MAKE steam. The stores he listed aren't key resellers. They sell new unused keys.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken 3 140mm
Memory Patriot Viper 4 - DDR4 3400 MHz 2x8 GB
Video Card(s) Radeon RX460 2 GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500, Samsung 860 500 GB, 2x Western Digital RED 4 TB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2312HM
Case be quiet! Pure Base 500 + Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12 + 2x ARCTIC P14
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR,
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-650
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard Lenovo USB
It isn't just blind hatred, there is reason to dislike the way that Epic is doing things. Think of it like this, if Intel was paying companies(like Dell and HP) large sums of money to only use Intel processors, would you be OK with it? No. In fact, they tried it, people freaked out about, and Intel even went to court because of it, several times.

If the platform itself, and the costs savings that come with it, was the only thing Epic was using to get these exclusives, I'd be fine with it. But that isn't the case, they are paying huge lump sums of money to get exclusives. Which very clearly shows that devs, and Epic themselves, know the platform alone isn't worth the what they save on commision.

Except you can run Epic Store on any PC. If Epic Store would be Linux only, then i would understand the upset, but this is just an another game launcher for windows.

From the developers perspective they probably are happy for the one time large income, then there is the lower commission.

You could be angry at Blizzard too because they don't release their games on steam, or Bioware because they don't release games on steam anymore, or...

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
You could be angry at Blizzard too because they don't release their games on steam, or Bioware because they don't release games on steam anymore, or...

That's not what most people are angry about. There's really nothing wrong with a Publisher making their own games made by their own Developers exclusive to their own store. Valve has been doing that from the beginning on Steam. What most people are angry about is Epic paying other Publishers to make their games timed exclusives on EGS.

That is actually also fairly accurate... Can't use AMD cpu's till they are 1yr old.
I don't recall any such specific details, but I could be wrong.

And even if that were the case, there is still the difference that Intel acted from a position of dominance, whereas Epic can hardly be called dominant.
Also, Intel's practice could be considered harmful in some way to the consumer, as in it limited people's choice, and possibly prevented them from receiving a superior product (should AMD's processors had been better for the taks(s) the user needed the computer for).
In the case of Steam vs. Epic consumers can still receive the exact same product they pay for. In fact, one could make an argument that the extra financial support from Epic could lead to a better and more polished product.

What most people are angry about is Epic paying other Publishers to make their games timed exclusives on EGS.
Which strikes me as outrage based (mostly) on morality and ethics, because the actual, practical downsides for the consumer are minor. Apart from reviews, every other feature that the Epic Game Store is missing seems insignificant.

Absolute non-sense... They try to play the good guys, like they are doing a favour for everyone, but it's obvious what they are doing.
If Steam suddenly matched their rates then they'd s*** their pants and do even more exclusives to stay relevant.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
lol. He don't have problem that Sony and MS taking 30% ? It is standard for long. He think his 12% is deal-breaker ? Cmon, if he would believe it they wouldn't buy exclusivities because every developer would be gladly with them.. Instead they need to buy off games days before release and making their monopoly on PC gaming.
Exactly, but I have this down as a community pr play, " hey guy's were not so Bad and it's all Steam's fault".

But in saying that if steam did bring down costs i wouldn't complain.

However none of this will happen, it's BS if steam were at 88%/12% epic would have still created their store and would still chase exclusive games to push it, he's only saying it because he knows it won't happen.
Steam have to make up for those keys some devs sell off to grey sites cheap ,while moaning about their cut.

It's complex eh.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Apart from reviews, every other feature that the Epic Game Store is missing seems insignificant.

But we all have to be careful with that. I don't care about most of Steam's features and I certainly don't care about Steam reviews but most people do so I can't say that those features shouldn't matter to anyone.

Exactly, but I have this down as a community pr play, " hey guy's were not so Bad and it's all Steam's fault".

But in saying that if steam did bring down costs i wouldn't complain.

However none of this will happen, it's BS if steam were at 88%/12% epic would have still created their store and would still chase exclusive games to push it, he's only saying it because he knows it won't happen.
Steam have to make up for those keys some devs sell off to grey sites cheap ,while moaning about their cut.

It's complex eh.

From some of Sweeney's tweets I gather he is trying to paint the exclusives as a means to force Valve to lower their cut on Steam to help other Developers and Publishers. In one he said, "30% store dominance is the #1 problem for PC developers, publishers, and everyone who relies on those businesses for their livelihood."

imo Sweeney is doing the exclusives to help EGS get a head start. I doubt he's concerned very much with the welfare of competitor Publishers.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Arous Elite V2
Cooling Thermalright PA120
Memory Kingston FURY Renegade 3600Mhz @ 3733 tight timings
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800
Storage 36TB
Display(s) Samsung QN90A
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Khadas Tone Pro 2, HD660s, KSC75, JBL 305 MK1
Power Supply Coolermaster V850 Gold V2
Mouse Roccat Burst Pro
Keyboard Dogshit with Otemu Brown
Software W10 LTSC 2021
the hero we dont deserve

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Which strikes me as outrage based (mostly) on morality and ethics, because the actual, practical downsides for the consumer are minor. Apart from reviews, every other feature that the Epic Game Store is missing seems insignificant.

Just because a feature is seems insignificant to you doesn't mean it is to others.

In the case of Steam vs. Epic consumers can still receive the exact same product they pay for. In fact, one could make an argument that the extra financial support from Epic could lead to a better and more polished product.

That just seems like a silly idea. Just because a company can possibly save money or make more because they're selling on EGS or even their own digital store doesn't mean the company will provide a better or more polished product.

Bethesda pushed out Fallout 76 on their own store - game came out riddled with bugs and exploits.
Diablo 3 came out on Blizzard's store - game was a step back from what Diablo 2 was, plus the push for real money transactions in game.....
BattleField V came out on Origin - same rehashed crap as previous BattleField games (at least in my opinion)
BattleFront 2 came out on Origin - crappy reskinned BattleField game (at least in my opinion)

These all are probably not the best examples, but you get the idea. The publisher didn't have to worry about forking over any extra cash to a third party to help distribute their games, but the games didn't come out better or more polished.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
they give you data, they fix drivers,
Wait what? What data? And when have they ever fixed drivers? Can you please explain both of those better?

Epic's Tim Sweeney = aka trump of the gaming industry hehe

"Let's undo everything and get a better deal.", This is what trump is doing ehhe
Leave politics out of this. It has no place in this thread.

Last edited:
But we all have to be careful with that. I don't care about most of Steam's features and I certainly don't care about Steam reviews but most people do so I can't say that those features shouldn't matter to anyone.
Just because a feature is seems insignificant to you doesn't mean it is to others.
Perhaps I expressed myself incorrectly.

What I meant was that the core functionality is there:
- purchase game
- download/install game
- play game.

Everything else is secondary.
Of course I agree that more features and functionality is a good thing. I am all for providing users with more options, but is the lack of these extra features really that detrimental to one's experience and enjoyment while playing a game?
Besides, some of the missing features are planned anyway.

That just seems like a silly idea. Just because a company can possibly save money or make more because they're selling on EGS or even their own digital store doesn't mean the company will provide a better or more polished product.

Bethesda pushed out Fallout 76 on their own store - game came out riddled with bugs and exploits.
Diablo 3 came out on Blizzard's store - game was a step back from what Diablo 2 was, plus the push for real money transactions in game.....
BattleField V came out on Origin - same rehashed crap as previous BattleField games (at least in my opinion)
BattleFront 2 came out on Origin - crappy reskinned BattleField game (at least in my opinion)

These all are probably not the best examples, but you get the idea. The publisher didn't have to worry about forking over any extra cash to a third party to help distribute their games, but the games didn't come out better or more polished.
Not only are these not the best examples, they are awful examples. I wasn't referring to huge and wealthy companies that have flops not because they cannot fund them but because they don't care. I was referring to smaller developers who have much limited resources to work with, and for whom every additional bit of funding can actually help quite a bit.

Like for example Julian Gollop, who said that the extra money would be put to good use by allowing them to expand and update Phoenix Point, and to allow backers to receive all DLC released in the first year for free. Now, whether they will actually do all that is an entirely different topic of discussion. The point is it is possible, and the consumer can only stand to gain from this.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Perhaps I expressed myself incorrectly.

What I meant was that the core functionality is there:
- purchase game
- download/install game
- play game.

Everything else is secondary.
Of course I agree that more features and functionality is a good thing. I am all for providing users with more options, but is the lack of these extra features really that detrimental to one's experience and enjoyment while playing a game?
Besides, some of the missing features are planned anyway.

No problem and not to single you out. It's just that Sweeney is making the comment that Steam should lower their cut to match Epic right now when Valve has invested so much more effort and money in Steam to make it the best store out there. He shouldn't be making comments that Steam should match Epic's cut until Epic has paid their dues like Valve and brought the promised new features to EGS.

If one day EGS does indeed rival Steam as a store then his words would carry much more weight. At least with me.

Processor Intel Core i7 8700K
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING AC
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500GB
Display(s) Dell S2417DG 165Hz
Case NZXT H400i
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Cooler Master - Masterkeys Pro L RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
How on earth did you conclude they hand those out for free? I certainly would not assume such, but I've never published on steam so could be wrong. Citation please as it seems outlandish.
Of course valve provides them... who else would? They MAKE steam. The stores he listed aren't key resellers. They sell new unused keys.

"Steam keys are meant to be a convenient tool for game developers to sell their game on other stores and at retail. Steam keys are free and can be activated by customers on Steam to grant a license to a product.

Valve provides the same free bandwidth and services to customers activating a Steam key that it provides to customers buying a license on Steam. We ask you to treat Steam customers no worse than customers buying Steam keys outside of Steam. While there is no fee to generate keys on Steam, we ask that partners use the service judiciously.

For more information on how keys work for customers, visit the customer facing support site here."

Source: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/keys

They literally have 0% cut on every key sold outside of Steam.

No problem and not to single you out. It's just that Sweeney is making the comment that Steam should lower their cut to match Epic right now when Valve has invested so much more effort and money in Steam to make it the best store out there. He shouldn't be making comments that Steam should match Epic's cut until Epic has paid their dues like Valve and brought the promised new features to EGS.

If one day EGS does indeed rival Steam as a store then his words would carry much more weight. At least with me.
The comments he made are his to make. I can't tell the guy what to say, and what not to. :)

But yes, I agree that this was basically nothing more than empty virtue signaling.

My general point the Epic Game Store has never been that there aren't any valid criticisms about it, but that a lot of people are simply overreacting.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
This is true though all of those games you never needed the epic game store for afaik
The new UT does and the rest came before the EGS was a thing, but that wasn't my point. My point wasn't about which platforms those titles were published on, my point was that Epic has a considerably high brand recognition and are a well-known, major player in the video games industry.
Even without Fortnight they could've launched an alluring platform, though I won't deny that fortnight did give EGS a huge boost.

But then you have Overwatch, Battlefield 3 and 1 (I'm assuming from your examples that you're ok with them), some post-2011 FIFAs (I don't play them, but their fanbase sure haven't been shutting up about since then!), latest The Sims, Crysis 3 (compared to the mess that was 2), The Division, etc, etc..

I think we're both picking off the wrong tree here though. Publishers/devs who have their own platforms probably won't be troubled that much with development costs (greed exec's bonuses are what matters), it's your smaller houses that would see more benefit of this, but unfortunetly, we don't really have enough data on that front to make a judgement (though the fact that many devs welcome Epic's initiative makes me more inclined to go the pro-88% cut side on this issue).

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
the hero we dont deserve

I disagree. 'Gamers' usually get everything they deserve. Battle royales, loot boxes, drm, etc. You name it, they asked for it in one manner or another.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I disagree. 'Gamers' usually get everything they deserve. Battle royales, loot boxes, drm, etc. You name it, they asked for it in one manner or another.

It's what all of the cool kids want. :p

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Except in Epic's case it is timed exclusivity, which makes your comparison inaccurate at the very least.

It's still exclusivity, and if Intel was paying Dell and HP to not use Ryzen processors even if only for a year, people would be pissed.

If the platform itself and the cost savings was all Epic had to offer, few people would switch. Why would they? Users tend to not like change. Why would a user switch to a different platform if the platform he is currently using offers him everything he needs? Even if Epic offers(ed) slightly lower prices, users would still most likely stick with Steam, i.e. the price cut would not be an incentive enough for users to switch, instead they would be willing to pay a higher price just to keep using what they are used to.
Epic needs a large incentive to entice users to come to them. Exclusives are such an incentive.

Incidentally, I'm also in the minority who are baffled that so many "gamers" tend to follow stores and companies, and not the games themselves.

And that's the point, and the reason Epic's statement on the matter is bullshit. They are asking for lower commission because they know their platform is inferior. Asking Steam to lower their price ignores the fact that Steam offers a lot more and is a much more developed platform.

Except you can run Epic Store on any PC. If Epic Store would be Linux only, then i would understand the upset, but this is just an another game launcher for windows.

From the developers perspective they probably are happy for the one time large income, then there is the lower commission.

That doesn't matter. The point is you can't run any game on any platform. I mean, you can still buy an AMD processor, you just can't get an HP or a Dell if you want to use AMD. So what's the big deal if Intel pays them to not use AMD processors? Right?

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
They are asking for lower commission because they know their platform is inferior. Asking Steam to lower their price ignores the fact that Steam offers a lot more and is a much more developed platform.
Who cares? No matter what launcher I use, and I use them all, I play the GAME that is there. That’s why I play on any of them, for the games. I don’t play Steam or Origin or Uplay or EGS or Galaxy. I just play the game.

Anything else is just grown people throwing fits like entitled and spoiled children do. It’s sad.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
"Steam keys are meant to be a convenient tool for game developers to sell their game on other stores and at retail. Steam keys are free and can be activated by customers on Steam to grant a license to a product.

Valve provides the same free bandwidth and services to customers activating a Steam key that it provides to customers buying a license on Steam. We ask you to treat Steam customers no worse than customers buying Steam keys outside of Steam. While there is no fee to generate keys on Steam, we ask that partners use the service judiciously.

For more information on how keys work for customers, visit the customer facing support site here."

Source: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/keys

They literally have 0% cut on every key sold outside of Steam.

I appreciate that. It's kind of hard to believe, but apparently, quite true. Steam just earned some serious developer-cred for offering this in my eyes.

I still would point out valve is ultimately generating the keys though (at their expense, it would seem, and at the developers request).

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.
Wait what? What data? And when have they ever fixed drivers? Can you please explain both of those better?

Leave politics out of this. It has no place in this thread.

Intel and AMD open source drivers mostly linux drivers, controller support and lots around that.
Vulkan on mac through MoltenVK to bring easier porting of games to mac platform.

Data through steam hardware survey for instance, also you can get pretty good data on country of purchase, age groups etc so you know who actually buys your game etc.

It's a LOT more they provide.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Sweeney is right: the 12-17% revenue share model easily sways publishers when they're offered pre-sales money up front. If Steam was even 20%, Epic's exclusive offer becomes drastically less attractive. At 15%, I doubt there would be any takers. Epic's exclusives are attractive because many publishers see Steam's 30% as unfair and exclusivity is icing on the Epic cake.

I appreciate that. It's kind of hard to believe, but apparently, quite true. Steam just earned some serious developer-cred for offering this in my eyes.

I still would point out valve is ultimately generating the keys though (at their expense, it would seem, and at the developers request).
Valve can't play gate keeper except in extreme circumstances (e.g. lots of keys and virtually no Steam sales). The reason for this is because the publisher owns the IP and therefore access to it. If Steam fights the publisher, they risk the game leaving Steam which means less exposure for Steam.

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506

From some of Sweeney's tweets I gather he is trying to paint the exclusives as a means to force Valve to lower their cut on Steam to help other Developers and Publishers. In one he said, "30% store dominance is the #1 problem for PC developers, publishers, and everyone who relies on those businesses for their livelihood."

imo Sweeney is doing the exclusives to help EGS get a head start. I doubt he's concerned very much with the welfare of competitor Publishers.
Yeah , all while this white night takes a cut off others work with no better then a tombolla booth to sell games from, What features exactly Do They add for that 12%, at least steam Do something.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Who cares?

Obviously a lot of people care, myself included.

No matter what launcher I use, and I use them all, I play the GAME that is there. That’s why I play on any of them, for the games. I don’t play Steam or Origin or Uplay or EGS or Galaxy. I just play the game.

Anything else is just grown people throwing fits like entitled and spoiled children. It’s sad.

If all they did was launch the game, yeah, you'd have a point. But all the features that Steam adds is worth it to a lot of people. It is also, obviously, part of the reason Steam can charge a higher commision. They have put a lot of money into their platform and that platform has a shitload of useful features that Epic is missing.