• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate Announces 16TB Exos and IronWolf Hard Drives

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Seagate Technology plc, a world leader in data storage solutions, today announced it has been actively shipping 16TB helium-based enterprise drives as part of the Exos X16 family, delivering high performance and record capacity for hyperscale data centers to efficiently and cost-effectively manage ever-increasing amounts of data. The company also updated the IronWolf and IronWolf Pro Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive lines with new 16TB capacity models.

The need for hyperscale, cloud, and NAS storage solutions continues to rise to unprecedented levels. In fact, a recent IDC whitepaper sponsored by Seagate predicts that the Global Datasphere - the amount of data created, captured or replicated across the globe - will grow from 33 zettabytes (ZB) in 2018 to 175 ZB by 2025. Seagate's Exos X16 hard drive delivers the highest storage density available with the field-proven reliability and continuous high performance to support a broad range of workload requirements and high-availability use cases.

Exos X16 HDD is the world's highest capacity 3.5-inch 7200 RPM drive designed to solve challenges by enabling hyperscale, datacenter, OEM and distribution channel businesses to maximize storage capacities, provide customer flexibility, and reduce complexity with uses in multiple workloads with increased I/O and enhanced caching capabilities. Seagate's new Exos X16 16TB drive delivers 33 percent more petabytes per rack compared to 12TB drives while maintaining the same small footprint for a reduced overall total cost of ownership. Exos X16 offers built-in data protection, including Seagate Secure Instant Secure Erase for safe, affordable, fast, and easy drive retirement.

"The Exos X16 is key in reducing total cost of ownership for enterprise system developers and cloud data centers while supporting multiple applications with varying workloads," said Sai Varanasi, vice president of product line marketing at Seagate Technology. "The Exos X16 is the industry's leading helium-based 16TB capacity drive. We are partnering with our cloud/enterprise customers to bring this product to the market to fulfill the pent-up exabyte demand in data centers."

Seagate continues to establish new benchmarks in speed and capacity with the additional announcement of IronWolf and IronWolf Pro 16TB drives, built for multi-user NAS environments and supporting workloads up to 300TB/year. IronWolf is the ideal drive for home and small office NAS systems that deliver performance, low noise and low power consumption, making it efficient for everyday use such as back up, remote access and file sharing. IronWolf Pro drives are robust for NAS that operate in creative pro and small-medium business environments that demand heavy workloads to support their data needs.

Zheng Yafeng, vice president at Tencent Cloud, said, "At Tencent Cloud, we are committed to creating a 'digital ecosystem', by boosting the Industrial Internet sector and serving various industries as a 'digital assistant'. For the data lifecycle, from generation to capture, storage and application, we are working seamlessly with Seagate to understand how to cope with the exponential rise in data volumes, with new innovative architectures, from edge to cloud. Seagate's 16TB Exos X16 hard drive has been incorporated into our cloud solution, significantly improving its storage density and performance, while cutting down the cost. Not only does this solution fulfill the ever-increasing demand of data centers for storage, but it helps us to efficiently address the emerging scenarios, applications, and challenges."

Peng Zhen, vice president at Inspur Group, said, "The era of smart computing is coming, and at Inspur we are striving to create a converged, open, and agile AI industry ecosystem so that we can provide customers with integrated solutions. Inspur and Seagate are working together in multiple fields, including cloud computing, big data and artificial intelligence, all to drive enterprise digital transformation. For Seagate's 16TB helium-based Exos X16 enterprise drive, we have completed a series of joint tests, which indicate it delivers high performance with support for varying workloads, allowing us to increase system capacity and reduce deployment complexity, whilst considerably lowering total cost of ownership. In the future, we will continue to partner with Seagate to drive industries to transform further, and empower customers to embrace the upcoming era of artificial intelligence."

The Exos X16 16TB HDD has an MSRP of USD $629 and will be available June 4.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Nice! I like the EXOS line.

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
Sweet. Finnally i can have my entire po... i mean very importent files on one drive.

But i do still look forward to the day ssd has this capacity at the same price. So i never has to wait for slow hdd.

So what's up with hard drive prices.

They introduce bigger and bigger hard drives but price per TB are at stand still or have even gone up the last years.

Now 16TB at over $630 soon 18TB at $750 and 20TB at $900

And at the bottom we still have like 1TB hard drives at $40

Something is really wrong with the hard drive industry, is there no competition anymore.

8TB drives are years OLD TECH by now and should be down to around $100.

Maybe someone with the know how should take a look into to the hard drive manufacturers to see if these high prices for years old tech is justified or if there is some thing else at play here.

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

They introduce bigger and bigger hard drives but price per TB are at stand still or have even gone up the last years.

Something is really wrong with the hard drive industry, is there no competition anymore.

By now 8TB drives should be down to around $100.

eh, more tech goes into bigger capacity, not to mention atleast where the exos is concerned these are 7200 helium filled data center drives. Not 5400RPM NAS drives with 64mb of cache.

The drives are not in the same class.

Completely agree, though I'm sure they're trying to recoup R&D costs with those bigger capacity drives. As for 1TB still going for $40, that has to do with manufacturing costs. Higher material/labor costs on traditional hard drives while SSDs can be mass produced cheaper.

D

Deleted member 67555

Honestly I'm surprised they aren't changing more... That's a lot of space for a single drive.

System Name future xeon II
Processor DUAL SOCKET xeon e5 2686 v3 , 36c/72t, hacked all cores @3.5ghz, TDP limit hacked
Motherboard asrock rack ep2c612 ws
Cooling case fans,liquid corsair h100iv2 x2
Memory 96 gb ddr4 2133mhz gskill+corsair
Video Card(s) 2x 1080 sc acx3 SLI, @STOCK
Storage Hp ex950 2tb nvme+ adata xpg sx8200 pro 1tb nvme+ sata ssd's+ spinners
Display(s) philips 40" bdm4065uc 4k @60
Case silverstone temjin tj07-b
Audio Device(s) sb Z
Power Supply corsair hx1200i
Mouse corsair m95 16 buttons
Keyboard microsoft internet keyboard pro
Software windows 10 x64 1903 ,enterprise
Benchmark Scores fire strike ultra- 10k time spy- 15k cpu z- 400/15000
I hope they are super reiable, I'd hate to put all my eggs in a 16TB basket...

Agreed. Instead of new capacity being introduced at previous price point the new one costs 100$ more. And before anyone says im comparing apples to oranges i don't think so. Most 14TB enterprise drives with either 256MB or even 512MB cache are over 500€. Judging by this price it will be near 600€.

Also seems manufactures have completely given up on building highest capacity drives for consumers. WD stopped at 10TB and Seagate suprisingly has 14TB Barracuda models.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
Honestly I'm surprised they aren't changing more... That's a lot of space for a single drive.

That is relative,.....

Back in 2018 SSD manufacturers had SATA drives in the 30TB, 60TB and 100TB range. They may have surpassed this by now. The issue there is the prohibitive cost and availability.

A 16TB spinning rust HDD or even 20TB / 25TB really isn't that big and is way behind what is possible with flash technology. The main reason for using HDD's is the cost per gig and while flash prices are comparatively high (or just plain too damn high) they have been dropping fairly steadily. Naturally flash prices could spike at any given time but for now the demand is rising and the cost is dropping.

HDD manufacturers have got to pull out all the stops and implement new tech to achieve relatively small capacity gains. These companies also see the writing on the wall and they know there is a finite number of years before flash overtakes the market.