• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Japan and South Korea Disagreements Could Compromise Global Memory Supply

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
According to Nikkei, the newly established trade limitations between Japan and South Korea, could end up compromising global memory supply by simply restricting chemicals export. As the report says, Japan has limited its export of three vital chemicals (like orthophosphoric, hydrobromic and citric acid) used in semiconductor manufacturing, to South Korea.

Unlike before, a company that exports a chemical, now has to ask for a permission from the Japanese government, so it could supply the semiconductor foundries in South Korea. The end result of such move could be severely damaged global memory supply, as over 70% of DRAM and over 50% of NAND memory is manufactured in South Korea. Government processing of applications for exporting chemicals is estimated to take about three months, while the memory makers usually only hold around one of two months of extra supply for manufacturing. SK Hynix, a third biggest memory manufacturer by revenue, said that if it doesn't get enough stock of materials, it would have to halt production. Samsung is asserting the situation for now, without any elaboration on that. These events could lead to increased memory price and overall less supply.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
, Japan has limited it's export of three vital chemicals (like orthophosphoric, hydrobromic and citric acid)

What "Citric Acid" Don't they grow and harvest fruit in Korea.
Its not an Embargoed Commodity its Available on the world market.
This Quest to find Reason's to keep IC Prices high is getting beyond a joke

Isn't it funny that every time the RAM industry sees someone get fined for price fixing, or there's oversupply, or someone gets hit for stealing IP, or basically anything happens that could result in them losing profits or prices falling...

There's always, within a matter of a few months, a sudden influx of TERRIBLE THINGS happening in the memory industry that lead to a shortage or a problem or a SUDDEN NEED to increase prices?

It's almost conspiratorially convenient, almost.

Read up more on the disagreements first. Secondly, South Korea has few natural resources and they require the import of those resources. The disagreements have always been there but it was nearly always contained within politics.

As far as "asserting the situation", it's really simple - the manufacturers in Korea are either reevaluating where they can get the resources they need or evaluating the possibility of lobbying to their government to appease Japan to get the trade going again. Political differences have never gotten in the way of business even during crises in the history of mankind. Business will resume, someway and somehow.

The insinuation that both countries are doing this to raise profit margins by these means shows a lack of knowledge about the regional politics, business tactics, and history.

*My 2 cents (opinion, off topic):
For a country that has gone through destruction of their land from a proxy war (1950 - 1953) after coming out of Japanese occupation (1910 - 1945), they [Koreans] sure have worked their asses off to be where they are now. It's a shame that Japan's government would inject itself to deter trade due to their perceived slights arising from the disagreements between both countries. Shenanigans like these are used to escalate tensions for the sole purpose of attention (North Korea and their "threats" or perceived "enemies" and Iran come to mind). "Why does the Japanese government need this?" is the real question. To me, this seems really petulant by Japan.

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
These things make me want to cry in despair.

Oh, well. I guess I'll have to buy memory earlier than expected.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Sarcasm interposed with Reality yeh i do that sometimes
Still as i said
""Its not an Embargoed Commodity its Available on the world market""

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
*Prices droоооpping*

" NOOOOO! We need a crisis immediately! "

" Floods, power outtages, politics, WW3, asteroids, alliens, black holes, get on it! "

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Wow, they really doubling down to make sure no nasty lawyer gets wind of their corruption.

We had the "power outage", now we have political arguments, next they are going to need a big fire or natural disaster to really ensure their profits for the next 5 years.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Prices are dropping.

Japan and South Korea: "Hold my sushi!"

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
WD and Toshiba had power outtage and now this . Kinda smells fabricated, but hey, that's just me.

Yeah, sure, "disagreements", right after the memory prices dropped drastically after 2 years of huge prices.

I mean, these are on the books laws you can just google. This time it's no grand conspiracy. Use your head: If it's a written law it's PROBABLY verifiable.

Sounds like the perfect conspiracy to sneakily raise prices again

Only if you get two countries that historically don't like each other to cooperate on a government level to commit conspiracy.

Yeah, no.

There's been plenty of suspicious shit out of Korean NAND and memory foundries. This isn't one.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Conspiracies aside, I wonder how many of the outraged people here ever walked up to their employer with a plan or suggestion to work on razor thin margins.

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Oh, a new trick.

1. Power outage
2. Fire
3. Flooding
4. Contamination
5. Lack of supply due to political struggle.
6. Back to No.1

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
I don't see a problem just put in a request for export a three months in advance. What is so hard?

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
this sounds like another one of those "price-fixing" methods to compensate their bottom line. This is why we can't have nice things.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I mean, these are on the books laws you can just google. This time it's no grand conspiracy. Use your head: If it's a written law it's PROBABLY verifiable.

Only if you get two countries that historically don't like each other to cooperate on a government level to commit conspiracy.

Yeah, no.

There's been plenty of suspicious shit out of Korean NAND and memory foundries. This isn't one.

Basically if someone puts 'memory prices' in a headline its a guarantee now for at least a page full of rant. Never mind its completely unrelated but that needs to happen I suppose?

I posted something the other day about recognizing sources for credibility... here you see how bad it is with general comprehension of all the things.

Scary.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Basically if someone puts 'memory prices' in a headline its a guarantee now for at least a page full of rant. Never mind its completely unrelated but that needs to happen I suppose?

I posted something the other day about recognizing sources for credibility... here you see how bad it is with general comprehension of all the things.

Scary.

You're so right, no corporation has ever done anything like the things that are being stated in this, or any other memory related thread, let alone done multiple times in the past. People are just so ignorant. Listen people, corporations love money, sure, but would never conspire to make money in an underhanded or dishonest way, that's just not Cricket, and rules are rules, and nice corporations are nice corporations. Where do you people get the idea that there are bad or dishonest corporations? Crazy thinking indeed!

But at least you and I can stand back and laugh at the ignorant crazy stuff people here say, even if we have no money because everything is so expensive. Still, I feel good for being poor, as I have done my bit to help these corporations make their meagre profits. I just can't live with myself when I hear of CEOs not getting their hard earned 7 digit bonuses, think of their poor families... I shiver at the thought... And those government fines they received in the past for doing things made up by the same kind of ignorant thinking, such as displayed in this forum... Just shameful that it resulted in fines! Well, at least we have paid to make up for it by now, and can look down on these negative people.

Shame on all the negative people here, shame on you!

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
You're so right, no corporation has ever done anything like the things that are being stated in this, or any other memory related thread, let alone done multiple times in the past. People are just so ignorant. Listen people, corporations love money, sure, but would never conspire to make money in an underhanded or dishonest way, that's just not Cricket, and rules are rules, and nice corporations are nice corporations. Where do you people get the idea that there are bad or dishonest corporations? Crazy thinking indeed!

But at least you and I can stand back and laugh at the ignorant crazy stuff people here say, even if we have no money because everything is so expensive. Still, I feel good for being poor, as I have done my bit to help these corporations make their meagre profits. I just can't live with myself when I hear of CEOs not getting their hard earned 7 digit bonuses, think of their poor families... I shiver at the thought... And those government fines they received in the past for doing things made up by the same kind of ignorant thinking, such as displayed in this forum... Just shameful that it resulted in fines! Well, at least we have paid to make up for it by now, and can look down on these negative people.

Shame on all the negative people here, shame on you!

Eh.. yeah. Did you bother to read the background of this by now? Or just knee jerk responding like the rest? A lot of text but no substance.

Reactions: bug