• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Releases Radeon Software Adrenalin 19.7.3

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD today posted the latest version of Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition. Version 19.7.3 beta comes in the nick of time with optimization for "Wolfenstein: Youngblood," with up to 13 percent higher frame-rates on offer compared to 19.7.2. The release also adds Radeon GPU Profiler and Microsoft PIX for Radeon RX 5700 series. AMD also expanded its Vulkan API support by adding six new extensions, two of which are AMD-exclusive, and four standard. These include VK_EXT_display_surface_counter, VK_AMD_pipeline_compiler_control, VK_AMD_shader_core_properties2, VK_EXT_subgroup_size_control, VK_KHR_imageless_framebuffer, and VK_KHR_variable_pointers.

Among the fixed issues are "League of Legends" failing to launch with RX 5700-series on Windows 7; RX 5700 series experiencing application crashes with DirectX 9 applications after an Express Upgrade, Windows Mixed Reality not launching with Radeon Image Sharpening enabled on RX 5700-series; out-of-sync audio with ReLive VR; incorrect Radeon Wattman power gauge values for Radeon VII; AMD Log Utility not correctly installing; performance drops with Radeon Anti-Lag; minor stutter noticed in the first few minutes of "Fotnite" gameplay on RX 5700-series; Radeon Overlay flickering over Vulkan apps with Image Sharpening enabled; and some corruption noticed when running Adobe Premier Pro 2019 benchmarks. Grab the driver from the link below.

DOWNLOADS: AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 19.7.3

The change-log follows.
Support For
  • Wolfenstein : Youngblood
    o Up to 13% better performance with Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.7.3 in Wolfenstein: Youngblood than with Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.7.2RS-304
  • Radeon GPU Profiler on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products
  • Microsoft PIX on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products
Added Vulkan Support
  • VK_EXT_display_surface_counter: This extension defines a vertical blanking period counter associated with display surfaces. It provides a mechanism to query support for such a counter from a VkSurfaceKHR object
  • VK_AMD_pipeline_compiler_control: This extension provides a way to set per-pipeline compiler options, for instance, to relax rounding rules when working with mixed-precision floating point values.
  • VK_AMD_shader_core_properties2: This extension exposes additional, AMD specific shader core properties for a physical device
  • VK_EXT_subgroup_size_control: This extension provides additional control over subgroup size, allowing applications for instance to opt-in to different subgroup sizes on devices supporting more than just one.
  • VK_KHR_imageless_framebuffer: This extension allows framebuffers to be created without the need for creating images first, allowing more flexibility in how they are used, and avoiding the need for many of the compatibility rules.
  • VK_KHR_variable_pointers: This extension allows implementations to indicate their level of support for the SPV_KHR_variable_pointers SPIR-V extension. The SPIR-V extension allows shader modules to use invocation-private pointers into uniform and/or storage buffers, where the pointer values can be dynamic and non-uniform. This release adds the optional VariablePointers support.
Fixed Issues
  • League of Legends may fail to launch on Radeon RX 5700 Series Graphics with Windows 7 system configurations.
  • Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products may experience DirectX 9 application crashes or hangs after an express upgrade of Radeon Software.
  • Windows Mixed Reality may fail to launch when Radeon Image Sharpening is enabled on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.
  • Audio may be out of sync with videos when using Radeon ReLive VR.
  • Incorrect values may be shown in the power gauge for Radeon WattMan while applications are running on AMD Radeon VII.
  • AMD Log Utility Driver may intermittently fail to install on Windows 7 system configurations.
  • Radeon Anti-Lag may experience slight performance drops on some gaming applications when enabled.
  • Minor stuttering may occur when playing Fortnite during the first few minutes of gameplay on AMD Radeon RX 5700 Series Graphics.
  • Radeon Overlay may experience flickering in Vulkan API games when Radeon Image Sharpening is enabled.
  • Corruption may be observed in some tests when running Adobe Premier Pro 2019 benchmarks.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Dual Socket HP z820 Workstation
Processor Twin Intel Xeon E5 2673 v2 OEM processors (thats a total of 16C/32T)
Motherboard HP Dual Socket Motherboard
Cooling Stock HP liquid cooling
Memory 64GB Registered ECC memory kit (octal channel memory on this rig)
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X 8GB
Storage 2 x 512GB SSD in raid 0
Display(s) Acer 23" 75Hz Gaming monitors 1080P x2
Case Brushed Aluminium
Audio Device(s) Integrated (5.1)
Power Supply HP 1125W Stock PSU
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
So I take it this beta release doesn't support the MSI gaming app? Because after a clean install of the new drivers I'm getting this error:
For reference purposes this rig is running the MSI Gaming X 8GB RX580 GPU and its nerve center is a Phenom II X6 Thuban CPU.

EDIT: I also having trouble with MSI afterburner, all the OC features are locked and its not even reading the video card properly:

Im thinking it may be time for a rollback due to these issues...

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
So I take it this beta release doesn't support the MSI gaming app? Because after a clean install of the new drivers I'm getting this error:
For reference purposes this rig is running the MSI Gaming X 8GB RX580 GPU and its nerve center is a Phenom II X6 Thuban CPU.

View attachment 127725

EDIT: I also having trouble with MSI afterburner, all the OC features are locked and its not even reading the video card properly:

View attachment 127726

Im thinking it may be time for a rollback due to these issues...
It is not AMD problem. It is MSI Afterburner problem. Complain in MSI Afterburner forum.

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
It is not AMD problem. It is MSI Afterburner problem. Complain in MSI Afterburner forum.

Don't jump to conclusions, I'm not complaining, I'm simply pointing out the issues I've discovered so far... and as I'm sure you know, beta versions have a tendency to be buggy so this kind of stuff is the norm. And make no mistake, this is definitely an AMD driver problem. The reason I say that is because MSI afterburner worked just fine with the previous stable release of the Adrenalin drivers. Same goes for the MSI gaming app. Now that I have rolled back to the "stable" build all functionality has been restored.

And what about the gaming app? Is there someone else you can pin this on other than AMD?

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Don't jump to conclusions, I'm not complaining, I'm simply pointing out the issues I've discovered so far... and as I'm sure you know, beta versions have a tendency to be buggy so this kind of stuff is the norm. And make no mistake, this is definitely an AMD driver problem. The reason I say that is because MSI afterburner worked just fine with the previous stable release of the Adrenalin drivers. Same goes for the MSI gaming app. Now that I have rolled back to the "stable" build all functionality has been restored.

And what about the gaming app? Is there someone else you can pin this on other than AMD?
That is the thing, AMD has no obligation to ensure that third party tweaking / overclocking apps works on their drivers.
It is always up to MSI to support the newer AMD drivers not the other way around.

As for the gaming app, it says on the tin: "MSI Gaming App". Not AMD gaming app.
It is MSI's way of applying overclocked settings on top of their factory vbios settings.
It is MSI choice to do it via software instead of dual bios like some other cards where they have an OC bios and a power saving / quiet bios.
So the gaming app not working is 100% on MSI. It was MSI that sold you the Gaming App as a feature not AMD.

Edit:
TLDR, MSI stuff doesn't work, complain to MSI. If AMD Wattman doesn't work, complain to AMD.
Also there is a Beta 2 version of MSI Afterburner 4.6.2, try and see if that works.

Last edited:
Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
That is the thing, AMD has no obligation to ensure that third party tweaking / overclocking apps works on their drivers.
It is always up to MSI to support the newer AMD drivers not the other way around.

As for the gaming app, it says on the tin: "MSI Gaming App".
Not AMD gaming app. It is MSI's way of applying overclocked settings on top of their factory settings.
While it is true that AMD is under no obligation to ensure 3rd party apps work with their drivers, you can only make that claim in reference to a stable driver release. With a beta release, there is to much of a grey area and problems like this could very easily be chalked up to the AMD side.

Remember, this is a beta driver and likely not intended to have full functionality and may also include glitches, compatibility issues and a myriad of other problems . Its very possible that AMD intentionally left out some features or they are still bugged in some regard, and that's why we broke functionality with the MSI apps. So its feasible to believe that this has the potential to be AMD related. I have a hunch that MSI wont have to do any work on their end to sync with the future, stable version of these drivers.

Last edited:
System Name O-Clock
Processor Intel Core i9-9900K @ 52x/49x 8c8t
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Gene
Cooling Corsair H170i Elite Cappelix w/ NF-A14 iPPC IP67 fans
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill TridentZ @3900 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Black
Storage Samsung 983 ZET 960GB, 2x WD SN850X 4TB
Display(s) Asus VG259QM
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) beyerdynamic DT 990 600Ω, Asus SupremeFX Hi-Fi 5.25", Elgato Wave 1
Power Supply EVGA 1600 T2 w/ NF-A14 iPPC IP67 fan
Mouse Logitech G403 Wireless (PMW3366)
Keyboard Logitech G910 Stickerbombed
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/search/submissions/permalink?userId=92615&cpuId=5773
No, this is a driver issue. It could be the fact that it’s a beta driver, and i always run WHQL drivers if possible, so perhaps try going back to 19.5.2 and see if problem is resolved? If you had all functionality working with a later driver then try that

As for the gaming app, it says on the tin: "MSI Gaming App". Not AMD gaming app.
It is MSI's way of applying overclocked settings on top of their factory vbios settings.
It is MSI choice to do it via software instead of dual bios like some other cards where they have an OC bios and a power saving / quiet bios.
So the gaming app not working is 100% on MSI. It was MSI that sold you the Gaming App as a feature not AMD.

Edit:
TLDR, MSI stuff doesn't work, complain to MSI. If AMD Wattman doesn't work, complain to AMD.
Also there is a Beta 2 version of MSI Afterburner 4.6.2, try and see if that works.
Many times when I try to do extreme overclocking on my Maximus motherboard with an intel cpu, I don’t get all the voltages, without the ME driver. But the ME driver is from intel and by your logic it is Asus’s fault for not providing stable voltage monitoring, however in reality it’s the ME driver that needs to be installed. Likewise, the amd driver gives functions that the gaming app references to, therefore it’s most likely the driver’s fault and not the app. Another way to verify is if rolling back to previous driver fixes the gaming app crash, then it is 100% the driver’s fault.

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yes, I rolled back to 19.5.2: all compatibility problems have been resolved, both MSI programs are working properly again.

I agree with @Berfs1 this definitely looks like an AMD beta driver related issue. (see explanation above)

Joeboy

The problem is that AMD changed the PowerTune configuration again. They don't provide an API for their power managament, so the 3rd party apps only able to ensure compatibility, if the devs reverse engineer the driver, and change their softwares accordingly. This is an ongoing thing for years, and mostly come up when AMD do a bigger jump on the version, like now: from 19.20 to 19.30. The 19.5.2 is only works because it is compiled from the 19.20 batch.

The alternate option is to use a 3rd party program that configured to call Wattman functions. That will works always, because these apps are basically alternate UIs for Wattman.

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Many times when I try to do extreme overclocking on my Maximus motherboard with an intel cpu, I don’t get all the voltages, without the ME driver. But the ME driver is from intel and by your logic it is Asus’s fault for not providing stable voltage monitoring, however in reality it’s the ME driver that needs to be installed. Likewise, the amd driver gives functions that the gaming app references to, therefore it’s most likely the driver’s fault and not the app. Another way to verify is if rolling back to previous driver fixes the gaming app crash, then it is 100% the driver’s fault.
In this case it technically is your fault for not installing the ME driver.
I understand what you are saying, but it really isn't 100% the driver's fault in your example.
The problem is that AMD changed the PowerTune configuration again. They don't provide an API for their power managament, so the 3rd party apps only able to ensure compatibility, if the devs reverse engineer the driver, and change their softwares accordingly. This is an ongoing thing for years, and mostly come up when AMD do a bigger jump on the version, like now: from 19.20 to 19.30. The 19.5.2 is only works because it is compiled from the 19.20 batch.

The alternate option is to use a 3rd party program that configured to call Wattman functions. That will works always, because these apps are basically alternate UIs for Wattman.
This is what I am suspecting.
The change might be intentional.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Yes, I rolled back to 19.5.2: all compatibility problems have been resolved, both MSI programs are working properly again.

I agree with @Berfs1 this definitely looks like an AMD beta driver related issue. (see explanation above)

Report the findings to MSI.

System Name MonsterPC
Processor AMD X7950X3D
Motherboard MSI MEG E670X ACE
Cooling Corsair Cappelix H150i
Memory 128GB DDR5 @5600
Video Card(s) AMD RX7900XTX
Storage 120TB HDD + 3x 2TB SSD RAID, External - 390 TB Various HDD drives
Display(s) C49RG90
Case BIG Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI 4 + SteelSeries Arctis Pro USB
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse SteelSeries Rival710
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
VR HMD Valve Index
Software W10 x64
No, this is a driver issue. It could be the fact that it’s a beta driver, and i always run WHQL drivers if possible, so perhaps try going back to 19.5.2 and see if problem is resolved? If you had all functionality working with a later driver then try that

Not an AMD "Beta drivers" problem. They (AMD) are not obliged to guarantee backward compatibility with the PowerPlay Tables (which doesn't make sense if you want to introduce some new stuff).
Stop blaming AMD for everything when it's clearly not their problem. Wattman works? So no issue on the AMD side.

Report to MSI / report to Unwinder ->

Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro

Afterburner is problem here, Afterburner is not implementing AMD monitoring API properly. AMD Watrman working and tool based on Wattman, so its Afterburner problem.
If Microsoft releases new API and software developer not using it, its developers problem not Microsoft's. Samehere with with Afterburner.
One side note: Afterburner has no problem supporting Nvidia features, but has problem with AMD features. :rolleyes:

AlexUnwinder

RivaTuner Creator
Afterburner is problem here, Afterburner is not implementing AMD monitoring API properly. AMD Watrman working and tool based on Wattman, so its Afterburner problem.
If Microsoft releases new API and software developer not using it, its developers problem not Microsoft's. Samehere with with Afterburner.
One side note: Afterburner has no problem supporting Nvidia features, but has problem with AMD features. :rolleyes:

Sure, it is traditional Afterburner "not implementing AMD monitoring API properly", it is always a problem. You obviously know a lot about proper implementation, right? And now what about teaching stupid AB developer to do it properly , for example demonstrate some application developed by you and "impelemnting monitoring propertly" for all OSes and hardware, on all versions of Overdrive?
Somehow NVIDIA manage to invest a lot into _backward_compatibility_ (if it means something for you) and tools created in GTX 200 era STILL work. And on opposing side everything API related broken by AMD is always Afterburer/Trixx etc issue. Seriously, due to such fanboys who always redirect this headache to third party devs, many of us quit the scene.

Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Sure, it is traditional Afterburner "not implementing AMD monitoring API properly", it is always a problem. You obviously know a lot about proper implementation, right? And now what about teaching stupid AB developer to do it properly , for example demonstrate some application developed by you and "impelemnting monitoring propertly" for all OSes and hardware, on all versions of Overdrive?
Somehow NVIDIA manage to invest a lot into _backward_compatibility_ (if it means something for you) and tools created in GTX 200 era STILL work. And on opposing side everything API related broken by AMD is always Afterburer/Trixx etc issue. Seriously, due to such fanboys who always redirect this headache to third party devs, many of us quit the scene.
There is a trend, if software dosen't implement AMD's API it AMD to blame, not the software.
I am saying it again it Afterburn's problem not AMD. GPU-Z recently also has problem with AMD GPU. Maybe cause those developer don't test their app on AMD GPU.

Last edited:

AlexUnwinder

RivaTuner Creator
Well Nvidia's architecture hasn't changed much from Fermi era, so they have not that much problem.

That's not true. NVIDIA introduced at least 4 different clock control and monitoring API versions since "Fermi" era, and each time the previous API implementation was NOT abandoned, it was left in driver for backward compatibility with existing applications. Even the oldest APIs, which they used in that era for Fermi STILL works for the previous compatible generations of hardware and display drivers. That's exactly what is called backward compatibility, that's what is allowing the applications created YEARS ago to work with no problems.
What AMD do is constantly re-inventing the wheel, with new hardware they simply breaking existing API and in favor of newer one, try to port old hardware implementations to it and introduce problems this way, it happend at least twice during the last year.

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
Radeon Overlay may experience flickering in Vulkan API games

Um what happens if it's not just Vulcan API based games but D3D aswell and OpenGL too in both FO4 and Skyrim SE it just flashes on and off screen all the time which is bloody annoying

System Name O-Clock
Processor Intel Core i9-9900K @ 52x/49x 8c8t
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Gene
Cooling Corsair H170i Elite Cappelix w/ NF-A14 iPPC IP67 fans
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill TridentZ @3900 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Black
Storage Samsung 983 ZET 960GB, 2x WD SN850X 4TB
Display(s) Asus VG259QM
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) beyerdynamic DT 990 600Ω, Asus SupremeFX Hi-Fi 5.25", Elgato Wave 1
Power Supply EVGA 1600 T2 w/ NF-A14 iPPC IP67 fan
Mouse Logitech G403 Wireless (PMW3366)
Keyboard Logitech G910 Stickerbombed
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/search/submissions/permalink?userId=92615&cpuId=5773
Not an AMD "Beta drivers" problem. They (AMD) are not obliged to guarantee backward compatibility with the PowerPlay Tables (which doesn't make sense if you want to introduce some new stuff).
Stop blaming AMD for everything when it's clearly not their problem. Wattman works? So no issue on the AMD side.

Report to MSI / report to Unwinder ->
Wattman is upgraded when the driver is upgraded. AMD literally updates their entire control pane per update. You don’t get legacy features with the new driver, you get the most up to date control panel including wattman. Also, wattman uses different functions to overclock, while afterburner uses single variable frequencies. Let’s say amd changed how power functions are called in the bios. That would therefore be amd’s problem, and not msi’s. I also mentioned earlier, check if the previous driver worked. If it did, and upgrading the driver caused he problem, it is the driver that is the problem, and not the application. In the workstation environment, that driver would be considered unstable and unreliable, and, there are workstation users who can be affected by similar situations. I have absolutely no idea where your logic is to blame msi for their afterburner application. The afterburner app was created earlier, and worked prior to the driver update. That should make sense, right? If AFTER the update, the app stops working, what needs to be done is revert the driver, and if it works again, it is the driver at fault. Doesn’t matter if there were optimizations for AMD’s software, it matters if it breaks other applications. An example, is Destiny 2 at fault for not working with Ryzen 3000? Under your logic, it would be Destiny 2, and not AMD’s fault. However, clearly, a bunch of people have seen this issue, and they finally found the fix in the AGESA code, and Destiny 2 support is now “working” again (in quotations because it is in beta).

There is a trend, if software dosen't implement AMD's API it AMD to blame, not the software.
I am saying it again it Afterburn's problem not AMD. GPU-Z recently also has problem with AMD GPU. Maybe cause those developer don't test their app on AMD GPU.
It’s funny how no one liked your reply. Maybe because you are wrong in this situation. In fact, another user actually stated the opposite, that AMD has been changing the power functions and calls multiple times. So yes. It is AMD’s fault that afterburner failed.

One more thing, if y’all intend to overclock, you technically void warranty. And msi afterburner literally gives you a warning if you extend past official limits. So it would “technically be your fault” under some people’s logic. Even though in reality it’s AMD that changed how the power calls work in the new update.

Last edited:
System Name MonsterPC
Processor AMD X7950X3D
Memory 128GB DDR5 @5600
Display(s) C49RG90
Case BIG Tower
VR HMD Valve Index
Software W10 x64
Wattman is upgraded when the driver is upgraded. AMD literally updates their entire control pane per update. You don’t get legacy features with the new driver, you get the most up to date control panel including wattman. Also, wattman uses different functions to overclock, while afterburner uses single variable frequencies. Let’s say amd changed how power functions are called in the bios. That would therefore be amd’s problem, and not msi’s. I also mentioned earlier, check if the previous driver worked. If it did, and upgrading the driver caused he problem, it is the driver that is the problem, and not the application. In the workstation environment, that driver would be considered unstable and unreliable, and, there are workstation users who can be affected by similar situations. I have absolutely no idea where your logic is to blame msi for their afterburner application. The afterburner app was created earlier, and worked prior to the driver update. That should make sense, right? If AFTER the update, the app stops working, what needs to be done is revert the driver, and if it works again, it is the driver at fault. Doesn’t matter if there were optimizations for AMD’s software, it matters if it breaks other applications. An example, is Destiny 2 at fault for not working with Ryzen 3000? Under your logic, it would be Destiny 2, and not AMD’s fault. However, clearly, a bunch of people have seen this issue, and they finally found the fix in the AGESA code, and Destiny 2 support is now “working” again (in quotations because it is in beta).

It’s funny how no one liked your reply. Maybe because you are wrong in this situation. In fact, another user actually stated the opposite, that AMD has been changing the power functions and calls multiple times. So yes. It is AMD’s fault that afterburner failed.

One more thing, if y’all intend to overclock, you technically void warranty. And msi afterburner literally gives you a warning if you extend past official limits. So it would “technically be your fault” under some people’s logic. Even though in reality it’s AMD that changed how the power calls work in the new update.
It is really funny to read your tyrrade, mentioning workstations and such "important" words, yet you know nothing (or very little) about the culprit why Afterburner and other OC Tools have problems.
Let me tell you one thing :
All of those "OC tools" are using undocumented/not officially supported API extensions (or connecting to hardware through dirty-hacks) and AMD is not obliged to :
a)test if such undocumented/unsupported API extensions work,
b)warranty any backward compatibility for undocummented/unsupported API extensions
c)shouldn't care if these are dirty-hacks to get to some low-level hardware access (actually these might be security risks and I personally would close such loopholes).
d)RDRAND problem (Destiny2 - your example, however failed to mention that nearly all Linux distros have bigger problems) has nothing to do with drivers, rather it has something to do with the entropy generation returning invalid information (-1 instead of 1). Software issue? Rather not. I would hint to a hardware issue, that fortunately can be fixed with AGESA / microcode update.
The chipset drivers are only a quick-patch and not a real solution to the problem (and solves only some minor problems under Windows environment).
e)you would know it all if you would follow my advice and actually READ a few topics in the Afterburner thread

BTW --- it is funny to see that your "quality metrics" is the amount of likes under a post... LoL.
Now get back to school and stop trolling, that all (including Earthquakes) is AMD's fault.

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
There truth on both sides of the coin here. Regardless of who's to blame, I think we can all draw some basic conclusions:

1) AMD's new beta 19.7.5 driver broke compatibility with MSI Afterburner and the MSI gaming app. AMD is [technically] at fault for causing this problem, but they are not [necessarily] responsible for resolution. That responsibility falls to the 3rd party vendor, MSI.
2) This is a broken API issue (as joeboy pointed out) and may or may not have been intentional... Here is my question: Do you think AMD did this on purpose in an effort to get people to use their own GPU management software known as Wattman? For example, Microsoft Edge doesn't allow you to set a specific page when you open a new tab, and this is an obvious effort to get people to stay with the bing search engine. The browser wars are real, and I'm thinking maybe we have the same thing going on between AMD and competing 3rd party vendors?

*edit* please note: this discussion only pertains to my specific hardware/software configuration, that being an MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8GB GPU with Windows 10 x64 release 1809 and MSI Afterburner.

Last edited:
System Name MonsterPC
Processor AMD X7950X3D
Memory 128GB DDR5 @5600
Display(s) C49RG90
Case BIG Tower
VR HMD Valve Index
Software W10 x64
There truth on both sides of the coin here. Regardless of who's to blame, I think we can all draw some basic conclusions:

1) AMD's new beta 19.7.5 driver broke compatibility with MSI Afterburner and the MSI gaming app. AMD is [technically] at fault for causing this problem, but they are not [necessarily] responsible for resolution. That responsibility falls to the 3rd party vendor, MSI.
2) This is a broken API issue (as joeboy pointed out) and may or may not have been intentional... Here is my question: Do you think AMD did this on purpose in an effort to get people to use their own GPU management software known as Wattman? For example, Microsoft Edge doesn't allow you to set a specific page when you open a new tab, and this is an obvious effort to get people to stay with the bing search engine. The browser wars are real, and I'm thinking maybe we have the same thing going on between AMD and competing 3rd party vendors?

*edit* please note: this discussion only pertains to my specific hardware/software configuration, that being an MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8GB GPU with Windows 10 x64 release 1809 and MSI Afterburner.
Hi,
I don't think this is done on purpose - happened at least a few times in the past and it was nearly 99% the case where a "compatibility" fix was needed on the 3rd party side.
Yeah, browser wars are real but in this case I don't think AMD has any business to break some things on purpose ;-)

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
No major security fixes??
I'm so disappointed, Lisa....