• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The World's First Cross-Game Currency to Receive No Action Relief from the SEC is Quarters

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has issued its first no-action letter for a blockchain token made for the game industry. Quarters (Q), a cross-game, cross-platform premium game token, provides a player-friendly and industry-friendly alternative to in-game tokens traditionally locked to a single game.

The Quarters smart contract provides this necessary trust by enabling everyone - players, developers and investors - to securely and transparently buy and use a prepaid arcade token. With the SEC regulatory relief, Quarters are also legal for all players to buy and use as a consumer product in the United States.

Players can buy 400 Quarters for a dollar with their credit card or in the Apple App Store and Google Play. With Quarters, gamers can play participating titles on mobile, web, and PC. In addition, players can use Quarters to enter esports tournaments for the most popular games.

Publishers and developers can collect Quarters and exchange them for Ether. Quarters have a fixed price, and like all premium game tokens, can never be exchanged or sold for financial value. Quarters are for entertainment purposes only. Publishers and developers can easily implement Quarters at no cost via the Application Program Interface (API), then earn revenue by exchanging Quarters spent by players for Ethereum (ETH). The Quarters API integrates with popular development platforms for easy integration, including Unity, iOS, Android, Javascript, Node, Playfab, and console (coming soon).

As the first cross-game token powered by the blockchain, Quarters decentralizes in-game currency, giving players a convenient new way to buy games, power ups, skins, and other premium items in their favorite titles. Players no longer will have to waste in-game currency in titles they no longer play.

The first Quarters will be seeded to players through influencer giveaways, friend referrals, Quarters community activity, and eSport competitions. Quarters will also be available for purchase on the official website at a later date.

DLX Law has always advocated working collaboratively with regulators to get good results." said Lewis Cohen, a founder of DLX Law. "The SEC's no action relief to allow Quarters to market and sell an ERC-20 token as a consumer product and not a security is a big step forward for the entire crypto community."

"Quarters provides developers a way to reward their players for spending money on their platform by removing the shackles that tie any lingering tokens up," said Timothy Tello, COO. "Our no-action letter clears the way for a consumer-friendly future where gamers can play with their tokens wherever they want, however they want."

For more information on Quarters, please visit Pocketful of Quarters' official website, follow them on Twitter, join their Discord, or like them on Facebook.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Asus M4A78LT-M
Cooling Ice Hammer IH-4***
Memory 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair
Video Card(s) Asus HD7870 2GB
Storage 500GB SATAII Samsung | 500GB SATAII Seagate
Display(s) 23" LG 23EA63V-P
Case Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) VIA VT1708S
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Software Windows 10 x64
Dual layer vaporware? What's the appeal in fetching ETH for the publisher when they can get straight cash via their own systems?

Dual layer vaporware? What's the appeal in fetching ETH for the publisher when they can get straight cash via their own systems?

Because "blockchain!"

On a serious note, I personally think the people behind micro transactions and crypto currencies are perfect partners for each other.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Quarters.com community activity, and eSport competitions.
You may wanna fix that, cause it leads to housing rent website. Their official page is pocketfullofquarters.com.

On topic: seems like a double-pyramid with extra flavor of shadiness.
1) No regulations
2) Perfect for gambling and in-game item scams
3) Uses Ether instead of FIAT for royalty payments while charging consumers real money, which means there will be no fixed exchange rate and your earnings may go "puff" at any moment
4) Has an obscure "subscription" model on the customer side
5) No known game devs or publishers had shown any interest. Even KS campaign is very typical for vaporware, which includes references to news outlets with no actual links to articles/reviews.
6) They have a 12y.o. as a CEO

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Where's our frog?

12y.o as CEO, where on earth it is legal?

System Name Desktop / "Console"
Processor Ryzen 5950X / Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus X570 Hero / Asus X570-i
Cooling EK AIO Elite 280 / Cryorig C1
Memory 32GB Gskill Trident DDR4-3600 CL16 / 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE / RTX 2080ti FE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus NVME / 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 NVME, 1TB Intel 660P
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW / LG 65CX Oled
Case Lian Li O11 Mini / Sliger CL530 Conswole
Audio Device(s) Sony AVR, SVS speakers & subs / Marantz AVR, SVS speakers & subs
Power Supply ROG Loki 1000 / Silverstone SX800
VR HMD Quest 3
Sorry, I'm not quite following.. my reading comp may be failing.

We have ". Quarters have a fixed price, and like all premium game tokens, can never be exchanged or sold for financial value" . Followed by "then earn revenue by exchanging Quarters spent by players for Ethereum (ETH)."

Seeing that Etherium can be sold for real money, am I missing something or would that not be exchanging Q for financial value? Or does this mean the user can not and only the publishers developers can sell Q--->ETH---->real money?

Also, they may have a fixed price of 400Q per dollar, but since it is tied to ETH which does have a fluctuating value daily, wouldn't it just mean that the # of Q for a given microtransaction would also fluctuate to the value of ETH? It doesn't seem like a developer would be willing to sell their in-game shiny wizzlewomper for the equivalent of 1 ETH on day, and .6 ETH the next depending on the current ETH to dollar value., etc.

I may be over thinking it...

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64

We have ". Quarters have a fixed price, and like all premium game tokens, can never be exchanged or sold for financial value" . Followed by "then earn revenue by exchanging Quarters spent by players for Ethereum (ETH)."

Seeing that Etherium can be sold for real money, am I missing something or would that not be exchanging Q for financial value? Or does this mean the user can not and only the publishers developers can sell Q--->ETH---->real money?

Also, they may have a fixed price of 400Q per dollar, but since it is tied to ETH which does have a fluctuating value daily, wouldn't it just mean that the # of Q for a given microtransaction would also fluctuate to the value of ETH? It doesn't seem like a developer would be willing to sell their in-game shiny wizzlewomper for the equivalent of 1 ETH on day, and .6 ETH the next depending on the current ETH to dollar value., etc.

Users (every day folk like you or me) can buy Quarters for real money (400 quarters for 1 dollar). You then use that in-game currency to buy something on a game you like.

The owner of the game then takes the Quarters you spent on their game and sells Q for ETH. So, only the owner/developer can exchange Q for ETH.

Last edited:
System Name Dreamstation2
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus
Cooling Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) Aorus 2080 Ti Turbo (sounds like a vaccum cleaner at full load)
Storage 2 x 1TB M.2 NVME + 1TB 2.5" SSD
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 32" 4k
Case NZXT H500i
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U3 / Audio-Technica ATH-M50x / Edifier R1855DB
Power Supply Corsair TX650M
Mouse Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
As already mentioned, this is just another scam. Why wouldn't I want to pay in my local currency (US$, GB£ or €, etc., you name it), but instead excahge it for some virtual "bitcoin" clone that the developer will exchange for another virual "bitcoin" clone, in the hope to sell it for real money? The only real advantage is that you can spend it on more than one game.

The main reason for using in-game virtual currency that many developers / publishers have, is to hide the real items prices (kiddies don't do the math of 300 in-game currency * 0.05 dollars each = $15) and to make you spend more money.

Edit: this also looks like a good way to launder money from drugs or finance terrorist organizations, as if cryptocurrencies weren't enough.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

This may be a pointless attempt to create a backdoor to keep selling lootboxes etc.