• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A Case for Windows Defender: Triad of Perfect Scores in AV-Test

Well that is a 1st ... its been getting better and better every year but kudos to MS for detecting everything, scoring well on performance and also no false positives... however, doing something once once or twice, that the leaders do every test, does not a competition make. It's all about consistency ... and to date, Defender has yet to show that. As time goes on, it doesn't take anyone much time to just copy everyone else's detection schemes.

1. I'll pay attention when they do it 12 times in a row.

2. To borrow a phrase, there are two types of folks in this world ... those who have been infected and those who haven't been infected yet.

3. If you read the actual test reports ....

a) Defender has 2 false positives last time (April) . How much time you gonna waste investigating / trying to remove ? Is your time worth $6 a seat ? That's one "decider" right there.. Spending 1 hour investigating a single false positive pays the AV subscription for 5 boxes for 6 years. Our systems oft detect "infections" years after the file came in. All of a sudden, a can detects an infection and the file has been there ... 2, 4 heck 8 years after it was last opened. prolly had about 6 - 8 of these in last 10 years. I quarantine the file and I send it in to the vendor ... within a day or 2, I get an an answer back saying the file is fine and that they have updated the detections. Does MS do that ? If they don't what course of action is available to you ?

b) They also don't usually do well on the performance tests, usually having slowdowns higher than the industry average. This time they did well here but again consistency. To be fair, every vendor takes a hit here now and then.

4. What you do for your AV solution, like most other things, depends on what you are protecting .... if it's a gaming box and your time has no value for an OS reinstall and redownloading all your system games no big deal. But if you have 25 years of business records, 30 years of family photos, 35 years of CAD drawings ... assuming all your backups are intact, what is cost of bringing your home / small office box back on line ? What's the loss in billing rates at $60 - $180 an hour when an employee can't access a file in a small office ? Is it worth $5.50 - $7.50 per year ? Even a false positive is going to eat up and hour figuring out whether or not it's something to worry about. There's also the other things that come in the package ? Do any of those have any benefit ?

The privacy protections that prevent tracking ? * On our network, the average number of blocked tracking attempts per box exceeds 17,000 so far this year
Does the included backup and restore utility provide any additional value ?
Does the included Parental Control utility provide any additional value ? Prolly more so for office usage :)
Does the included software update utility provide any additional value ? *
Does the included financial transactions protection utility provide any additional value ? *
Does the included mail spam provide any additional value ? *
Does the included software monitoring the utility provide any additional value ? *
Does the included banner utility provide any additional value ? *
Do the gaming, auto scheduling, battery features provide any value ? *
Does the included anti-keylogging features provide any additional value ? *
Does the included port monitoring utility provide any additional value ?
Does the ability to scan encrypted embedded web site connections have any value ? *

* Not part of defender or Windows

I have not investigated this but is there a way to allow Defender to update itself while still allowing you to review all Windows Updates before they are installed. ? Without it, its like nagware.

in short ... it's a risk / reward / cost analysis. AV / Malaware protection consistency is proven over time... false positives and performance is better ... and the extra features and protections that Defender doesn't have save me time, reduce risk and the need to use other utilities to duplicate these functions.

I heard claims that Defender is performance hungry or something. No idea if it's true.

This time it beat industry avrage ... last test, didn't do so well.

3x per day.

I just checked... last update it did was 7 am on Sunday. I see that i can set it to download updates before each scheduled scan and that i can set iut to scan up to once a day.

My beef with Defender is that because it comes bundled, it is the default target for an attacker.
My beef with free AV alternatives is they nag you about upgrading at a reduced price.
And because of the above, of course my beef with paid AV alternatives is they're too expensive.

Many of the free ones also require manual updates
You can get deals as low as $5.50 a seat, tho $7,50 is more typical for small groups.

We negotiated a deal some years back for my professional society ... $2 a seat ... also done with boy scouts etc. We recommend getting 5 folks together and doing 5 or 10 seats for 3 years which averages about to about $5.50 a year for 10 and $7.50 for 5 seats. My son shares a house with 2 fiends and they got a 3 year pack of 5 seats for them and 2 of their GFs.... averages out to $7.49 per box per year. One of the GFs had her banking data stolen some months before via keylogging which is something she no longer has to worry about.

Have you ever heard that it's better to be safe than sorry? I'd rather have something be detected as a false positive than to have the malware run roughshod over my system and my data.

The "better safe than sorry" cliche has no relevance to this discussion. While Defender has managed a very commendable spotless detection rate in the last 3 months (7 false positives), that's as far back as it goes.

In the last 24 months ... 25 Zero-day infections and 158 known widespread infections got thru windows built in AV while experiencing 120 false positives
In the last 12 months ... 4 Zero-day infections and 50 known widespread infections got thru windows built in AV while experiencing 21 false positives
In the last 6 months ... 0 Zero-day infections and 11 known widespread infections got thru windows built in AV while experiencing 10 false positives

No vendor has a philosophy which says sacrifice detection in exchange for not getting false positives ... MS had 100% detection and 0 false positives in 2 consecutive months and they deserve credit for that ... that being said, it's the 1st and only time they have managed this. There are vendors who manage 100% detection 12 times a year, year after year and maybe get a 1 or 2 false positive a year ... kaspersky has had 0 infections and 4 false positives in the last 24 tests. So while it's extremely encouraging that Defender has looked pretty good over the last 3 months ... kasperky has 0 infections and half as many false positives in 24 months as defender has shown in last 3 months.

If the last 3 months performance continue, I won't feel compelled to advise folks to think twice before going with Defender alone. Again, 'think twice' is not a negative recommendation ... just "think about if it's the best long term option for your specific instance". If going with Defender, still would say:

a) Download a copy of the 30 day free trial of Kaspesky and / or BitDefender and keep on ya HD... doesn't cost ya a dime, and ... if something gets past Defender, you have something on hand. Worst case you take the HD out of the box and clean it in a USB HD dock connected to another system. Over the years, whichever i was using I always had the other install program on a HD so that I would have a backup option.

b) Try out one of the paid apps for 30 days ... even if you have little to risk with slightly less protections, see if the extra features are worth skipping a trip to Starbucks for a Latte and a Blueberry Muffin
Also wanted to note as it's been mentioned... malware bytes scored a 2.0 / 6.0 on protection in last test.

Its also worth noting that Defender's performance in the most recent tests is more impressive than it other wise would be in that ONLY 4 vendors (Kaspersky, Defender, TrendMicro and Norton) scored perfect scores on detection. Only 2 of those had 0 false positives (Defender and Kaspersky). This month, that puts Defender on par with the industry's best historical performer will will quiet a lot of critics, if that level of performance ca be maintained over time.

BitDefender had an off month with 4 zero day malwares getting thru and 4 false positives. It would seem that the days of criticizing Defender for how well it does what it does are about to sunset. The discussion will now shift to what it doesn't do and whether having those features are worth $5.50 - $7.50 a year from a 3rd party vendor.

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
Whoa to you oh earth and sea for the Microsoft sends the Defender with wrath.. Let them with understanding reckon the number of the Defender ... For it is a human number and it's number is 6 6 6

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I heard claims that Defender is performance hungry or something. No idea if it's true.
You never used McAfee or Symantec/Norton before, haven't you?

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
It doesn't work at all unless you like false positives and restoring your files.

I immediately disable this pile of crap after install. Have you noticed that microtards no longer let you take control of reg keys to fully disable it? Scumbags.
Yes, it's one of the major beefs I have with Win10: I don't need a resident AV, but if I disable mine, Win10 activates Windows Defender :(

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)

las

System Name Obsolete / Waiting for Zen 5 or Arrow Lake
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.2 GHz @ 1.35v / No AVX Offset
Motherboard AsRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 4000/CL15
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 280 Hz + 77" QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX / Upgraded Op-Amps
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Actually it's the opposite... Defender barely uses any ressources. That's why it scored 6/6 in performance by AVTEST. Actually it scored 6/6 in every test.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Actually it's the opposite... Defender barely uses any ressources. That's why it scored 6/6 in performance by AVTEST. Actually it scored 6/6 in every test.
MS's own products have always been leaner than competition. MS simply uses undocumented APIs and starts up parts of said products as standalone services, so for example, when you fired up IE and look at task manager, the memory consumption barely went up. So I kinda stopped using that a criterion when comparing.

las

Cooling Custom Water
MS's own products have always been leaner than competition. MS simply uses undocumented APIs and starts up parts of said products as standalone services, so for example, when you fired up IE and look at task manager, the memory consumption barely went up. So I kinda stopped using that a criterion when comparing.

I would think that Microsoft knows how to protect their own OS the best way possible - 3rd party AV often injects all kind of crap.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R

las

Cooling Custom Water
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
I used to use ESET, but with all features, it seemed to be slowing the system down a little bit. But then again, advanced heuristics and other protection measure don't come for free. I liked it, but am currently tight on money, so knowing that Defender is good enough is nice.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
I'd like to see you try and unravel a thirty-year-old operating system while still trying to maintain backward compatibility and not break stuff (at least, not too badly) in the process while at the same time correcting all of the mistakes of the past. It's not an easy process. Thirty years of spaghetti code, that's what Windows is and it's going to probably take just as long to unravel it.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I'd like to see you try and unravel a thirty-year-old operating system while still trying to maintain backward compatibility and not break stuff (at least, not too badly) in the process while at the same time correcting all of the mistakes of the past.
Linux is almost 30 and a prime example of doing just that ;)
macOS is almost 20 (older if you count its BSD roots) and has also been less trouble than that.

Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Linux is almost 30 and a prime example of doing just that
Yes, but there's a big difference between Linux and Windows. It's fairly common knowledge that APIs change with every new Linux kernel version; the APIs are constantly in flux, always changing, always getting refactored. When drivers (like AMD and nVidia) depend upon specific APIs to be there and then all of a sudden a new version of the Linux kernel comes out and those APIs have changed, those drivers are often left in a broke state. It's also been known that if you complain about this kind of stuff happening, the kernel maintainers will then tell you that you should merge your stuff into the mainline kernel code and if things change they'll fix your code for you. Which, at least at face value, that sounds good but if you're a for-profit company you might not want your crown jewels to be on display for all the world to find out what is in your "secret sauce".

The API changes of the Linux kernel are even worse for drivers that are binary blob only modules like many Broadcom drivers. If you look at such open source projects like TomatoUSB, OpenWRT, etc. you'll notice that many of those projects are based upon positively ancient versions of the Linux kernel with security fixes often patched in and otherwise merged in all the while hoping that those fixes don't break the Broadcom binary blob drivers that many home routers use to power their more proprietary internal devices such as WiFi, Ethernet switch, etc.

It's also why updating Android devices is such a royal pain in the ass as well, many of the drivers that power the more proprietary pieces of the hardware like the Snapdragon, the cellular baseband chip, etc. are often found as binary blob only modules. If you decide to just willy nilly update the kernel you'll often find that everything just breaks in a very horrible way.

Microsoft doesn't change stuff like that, they have prided themselves on the idea that if you make a program or drivers for Windows 7 it'll (at least with a 95% chance) work on Windows 10 with relatively no issues. Sure, you might need to go in and change stuff and tweak a few things but that's about it; it'll work for the most part. Unfortunately, that backward compatibility has become a double-edged sword. On one side it helps maintain a very structured and dependable software, driver, and hardware ecosystem that's unmatched by any other OS on the market. But on the other side it makes for maintaining it to be a royal pain in the ass.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I'd like to see you try and unravel a thirty-year-old operating system while still trying to maintain backward compatibility and not break stuff (at least, not too badly) in the process while at the same time correcting all of the mistakes of the past. It's not an easy process. Thirty years of spaghetti code, that's what Windows is and it's going to probably take just as long to unravel it.
Yes, but there's a big difference between Linux and Windows.
You asked me to show you something different. I did.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
You asked me to show you something different. I did.
And I explained a lot about the differences between how Linux does things and how Windows does things in my previous post.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
And I explained a lot about the differences between how Linux does things and how Windows does things in my previous post.
Which is both nice and irrelevant wrt your original question :D

System Name Bruh
Processor 10700K 5.3Ghz 1.35v| i7 7920HQ 3.6Ghz -180Mv |
Motherboard Z490 TUF Wifi | Apple QMS180 |
Cooling EVGA 360MM | Laptop HS |
Memory DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | LPDDR3 16GB 2133Mhz CL20 |
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix 3080 (2100Mhz/18Ghz)|Radeon Pro 560 (1150Mhz/1655Mhz)|
Storage Many SSDs, ~24TB HDD/8TB SSD
Display(s) S2719DGF, HP Z27i, Z24n| 1800P 15.4" + ZR30W + iPad Pro 10.5 2017
Case NR600 | MBP 2017 15" Silver | MSI GE62VR | Elite 120 Advanced
Audio Device(s) Lol imagine caring about audio
Power Supply 850GQ | Apple 87W USB-C |
Mouse Whatever I have on hand + trackpads (Lanchead TE)
Keyboard HyperX Origins Alloy idk
Software W10 20H2|W10 1903 LTSC/MacOS 11
Benchmark Scores No.
If you need more the WD you're doing it wrong

Yes, that is very commendable ... but unlike many others, they haven't been doing that consistently. Doesn't take anything away from what they did the last 3 months but when the Tigers (36 wins) bet the Yankess (81 wins), no one pencils in the Tigers to take the World Series. Just to be clear, Defender didn't "beat everybody" .. they scored the same disinfection rate as several other vendors. And this is the 1st time they had consecutive months w/ 6/6/6 ratings. Only have to go back to April their previous best (5.5)

I would think that Microsoft knows how to protect their own OS the best way possible - 3rd party AV often injects all kind of crap.

I have seen pop ups with offers but never a "guerilla install" on the better products. The biggest problem with 3rd party AVs is once they gain some level of industry dominance, their "copy protection paranoia" increases the cost of ownership. We stopped using BitDefender and switched to Kaspersky some years back; I could no longer download once and install on 10 boxes, i had to sit at every box and download locally to each machine.

Another negative aspect of the 3rd party option is that they can be as much as twice as costly to renew that to buy as a new customer. So say for a family of 5 users .... Dad buys in 2017 for 3 years ($7.50 per seat per year) and them Mom buys in 2020.

For me, aside from a 100% detection rate in monthly tests over 2 years, it's the added value that the 3rd party options provide.

Many are listed in preceding post but for example, have the option to ...

... set definition update frequency (Defender last updated 4 days ago)
... Postpone scans when gaming or high CPU / file usage negating and system performance impacts

After all these years of foisting itself as a truly "adequate" solution, in the last 3 months Defender has become what it should have been from the getgo. As long as they can maintain this level of performance... and reduce the false positives while maintaining performance above the industry average, it will remain a viable option. That being said, it does not provide equivalent value to 3rd party options which provide additional features and benefits. Of course the value to any individual will depoend on whether those extra features have any value ...

-Do you want scans paused while gaming or PC / storage subsystems are under heavy usage or battery level is low on the lappie ?
-Does any of the mail / web based tracking and protections provide any value ?
-Does the application software vulnerability and update tracking w/ auto update options provide any value ?
-Does the free cloud storage for backups provide any value ?

Like anything else, it's wise to investigate the value of available alternatives .... free is not always the best value when risk and time is involved. What makes the most sense will depend on each individual situation. The only wrong choice is not fully evaluating your options.