• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX Revises RX 5700 XT THICC II Cooler, Offers Replacements to Current Owners

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
An XFX spokesperson, commenting on a Reddit post linking to our comprehensive review of the XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT THICC III Ultra graphics card from Thursday, stated that they have revised the coolers of its sibling, the THICC II (which we also reviewed). Besides the number of fans (3 vs. 2), what sets the THICC III and the original THICC II apart is a slightly longer aluminium fin-stack heatsink on the THICC III, and more importantly, a copper secondary base-plate instead of aluminium alloy one, on the THICC III. This secondary base plate pulls heat from the eight GDDR6 memory chips. What's more, with the THICC III, XFX also removed a metal foil between the secondary base-plate and the main heatsink.

In our testing, we found this simple design change dropped memory temperatures by 8°C compared to the original THICC II. Higher air-flow from the triple-fan setup may have also contributed, although we believe the base-plate changes, specifically removal of the metal foil, contributed the most. The XFX spokesperson announced that the company is implementing the same base-plate design on the THICC II, and that revised cards are "already on the shelves." The spokesperson also announced that anyone with an older revision of the card can seek a free replacement to the newer revision by contacting XFX. We are awaiting information from them on how to tell the older revision apart from the newer one without having to disassemble the card, and will update this article.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
The backplate adds to the thermal buildup since gddr6 is fcbga. They just need to make a skeletal style bp or just a spine. Remove all the plastic crap and the problems should go away.

@XFXSupport what you say about this?

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Are the cooler changes the result of poor reviews or was this in the works prior to them. 8 degrees is huge when it comes to fan noise.

Processor Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz@1.331V
Motherboard ASUS Strix B350-F
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 16G*2 3000MHz CL16 @1.35V
Video Card(s) Msi RTX 2070 Super Gaming Z Trio
Storage WD Blue 500G SSD*1 WD Black 2TB*1
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q
Case Lian Li O11D XL
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse logitech G102 with modded micro switchs
Benchmark Scores Time Spy 9943
This is what will happen if manufactures decide to cheap out on some crucial components, sad trend of the modern pc market.

At least XFX admits the mistake and offers replacements.

Kudos for them.

Low quality post by fancucker
Not to mention the epidemic of driver issues, an all round horrible experience from both the AIB and chip manufacturer. You'd be best served picking up a 2060S/2070/2070S, avoiding headaches, enjoying RTX (despite the critcisms) and excellent developer support. Buying this to placate a sense of AMD-charity is wrong. Hackintosh I would understand.

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not to mention the epidemic of driver issues, an all round horrible experience from both the AIB and chip manufacturer. You'd be best served picking up a 2060S/2070/2070S, avoiding headaches, enjoying RTX (despite the critcisms) and excellent developer support. Buying this to placate a sense of AMD-charity is wrong. Hackintosh I would understand.

I got a reference 5700 xt, had driver problems on launch but was fixed soon after. Card and drivers have been great!

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
nice try.

I guess some will be fooled but this really reeks of your style.The red background says it all. :laugh:

Last edited:
System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
System Name Purple rain
Cooling Noctua D15S
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT

Solid trolling. But 2060S with RTX....edit that please.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Utterly pointless waste of effort and time. Even if someone has bought a THICC and wants this upgrade, it's little more than a band-aid that fails to address the real reason that the THICC is a POS.

Steve@GamersNexus tried to fix this terrible cooler by doing a whole bunch of different things to it and measured each attempt.

BY FAR, the biggest reason that the THICC II sucks is because all of that dumb plastic blocks the airflow. The issue was never the GDDR6 plate nor the number of fans. Don't get me wrong, adding another fan to force more air through the minimal gaps in the side of the stupid plastic decoration is obviously going to help cooling (at the cost of more noise) and a copper baseplate is marginally better than alu for the GDDR6 but that material change makes no difference if the cooling fins connected to that baseplate have their airflow stifled by 'McDonalds plastic'.

If you have lumbered yourself with a THICC II despite all the scathing reviews, and you wish to make it better, just remove as much stupid plastic decoration as you can, and take off the backplate whilst you're at it!

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Utterly pointless waste of effort and time. Even if someone has bought a THICC and wants this upgrade, it's little more than a band-aid that fails to address the real reason that the THICC is a POS.

Steve@GamersNexus tried to fix this terrible cooler by doing a whole bunch of different things to it and measured each attempt.

BY FAR, the biggest reason that the THICC II sucks is because all of that dumb plastic blocks the airflow. The issue was never the GDDR6 plate nor the number of fans. Don't get me wrong, adding another fan to force more air through the minimal gaps in the side of the stupid plastic decoration is obviously going to help cooling (at the cost of more noise) and a copper baseplate is marginally better than alu for the GDDR6 but that material change makes no difference if the cooling fins connected to that baseplate have their airflow stifled by 'McDonalds plastic'.

If you have lumbered yourself with a THICC II despite all the scathing reviews, and you wish to make it better, just remove as much stupid plastic decoration as you can, and take off the backplate whilst you're at it!
Yup it's a real shame, not everyone is tech savvy and for me it's just case of dropping them a msg that iam going to remove it. iguess it sucks for those who live places that your not permitted to remove any thing. Then again XFX might over look it.

Plano_Tech

To be fair, i think GN was the only "Scathing" review. There were a number good reviews for it, TechPowerUp included, and a few mediocre reviews that did mention added fan noise on the Ultra.

I have one of the THICC II Ultras , and the higher RPMs are noticeable but not that bad TBH. I've also tried standard THICC II BIOS from the XFX website and it lowers the fan RPMs by around 300rpm and GPU power by 20w, its actually pretty quiet. So I think the bigger issue might be the overclock on the Ultra version, I believe Steve mentioned it in his video that he thinks the overlock is overwhelming the cooling solution, especially with his custom 40 dBA fan curves.

D

Deleted member 158293

Fixing that metal plate material, quite a large design flaw IMO, and offering to replace the previous model with this better one is a good thing. Can't imagine they sold too many of the thicc 2 mind you, if they had the thicc 3 would probably not have not been made.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
To be fair, i think GN was the only "Scathing" review. There were a number good reviews for it, TechPowerUp included, and a few mediocre reviews that did mention added fan noise on the Ultra.

I think everyone (even XFX themselves) are under no illusion that the THICC II cooler is a disappointment and needs to be addressed for its issues. Any comparison to OTHER third-party coolers paints it in a bad light, even before you take the huge size into account, with all of the potential compatibility issues that accompany it.

The first page of Google results for reviews of the THICC II, seem to be mixed - but there are a lot of negative reviews, not just GamersNexus.

PCWorld: 4/5 - "louder than other custom options", "requires some necessary tinkering", and "Very high power consumption"

Guru3D: "We have to talk acoustics, you've seen the numbers for both perf and silent modes" and "this noise level is just not okay"

GamersNexus: "Do Not Buy", "plagued with firmware and hardware issues alike", "one-upping those deficiencies with a lapse in judgment for heatsink design"

Techpowerup: Gives it an Editor's choice, but then goes on to say "compared to other custom designs we've reviewed, they [noise levels] are a little bit high. While the "quiet" BIOS does offer slightly better noise levels, I would have wished for a bigger difference between BIOSes.

Vortez.net: They give it an "approved" award because it performs 'decently' and looks good, but note that the bulk could easily be a problem and power consumpion was higher than anticipated. Approved is the lowest grade of award Vortez give out, and they give out awards like candy, it would seem.

Amazon user reviews: Many of the verified purchasers have changed their reviews to 1-star, commenting on overheating and cheap materials!

theFPSreview: "better than the reference card", which is a fair point, but also their only 5700XT comparison, so obviously a huge open cooler is going to perform better than a compact single radial blower fan. No surprises there.

overclockersclub: "Great stock performance" but "Questionable heatsink contact". No award or recommendation given.

LANOC.org: "fan shroud is also a source of a lot of the cards issues" and "The shroud also plays a role in limiting airflow at the top and bottom. All of this leads to cooling performance that I think could have been better, especially with this being a flagship card."

PCPer: Again, compared to a reference blower only. They gave it a gold award despite it running 91C @ 43.8 dBA which is terrible, and also accepting that it "consumed more power than any card tested to date". WTF makes that deserving of a gold award?!

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Good XFX, now go even further and actually try to make the best cards you can, bring back the alpha dog etc naming scheme.

Plano_Tech

I think everyone (even XFX themselves) are under no illusion that the THICC II cooler is a disappointment and needs to be addressed for its issues. Any comparison to OTHER third-party coolers paints it in a bad light, even before you take the huge size into account, with all of the potential compatibility issues that accompany it.

The first page of Google results for reviews of the THICC II, seem to be mixed - but there are a lot of negative reviews, not just GamersNexus.

PCWorld: 4/5 - "louder than other custom options", "requires some necessary tinkering", and "Very high power consumption"

Guru3D: "We have to talk acoustics, you've seen the numbers for both perf and silent modes" and "this noise level is just not okay"

GamersNexus: "Do Not Buy", "plagued with firmware and hardware issues alike", "one-upping those deficiencies with a lapse in judgment for heatsink design"

Techpowerup: Gives it an Editor's choice, but then goes on to say "compared to other custom designs we've reviewed, they [noise levels] are a little bit high. While the "quiet" BIOS does offer slightly better noise levels, I would have wished for a bigger difference between BIOSes.

Vortez.net: They give it an "approved" award because it performs 'decently' and looks good, but note that the bulk could easily be a problem and power consumpion was higher than anticipated. Approved is the lowest grade of award Vortez give out, and they give out awards like candy, it would seem.

Amazon user reviews: Many of the verified purchasers have changed their reviews to 1-star, commenting on overheating and cheap materials!

theFPSreview: "better than the reference card", which is a fair point, but also their only 5700XT comparison, so obviously a huge open cooler is going to perform better than a compact single radial blower fan. No surprises there.

overclockersclub: "Great stock performance" but "Questionable heatsink contact". No award or recommendation given.

LANOC.org: "fan shroud is also a source of a lot of the cards issues" and "The shroud also plays a role in limiting airflow at the top and bottom. All of this leads to cooling performance that I think could have been better, especially with this being a flagship card."

PCPer: Again, compared to a reference blower only. They gave it a gold award despite it running 91C @ 43.8 dBA which is terrible, and also accepting that it "consumed more power than any card tested to date". WTF makes that deserving of a gold award?!

Again, I wouldn't call any of those other reviews "Scathing", maybe mediocre . I'm probably just defensive because I own one and has served me well so far, and I don't have any other 5700 to compare it to. Not being as good as other models is different than being bad or junk IMO, just seems like alot of very strong contenders for cooler designs. I read all those reviews and do have some notes on a few.

PCWorld: Their final conclusion was still positive.

"Nevertheless, it’s highly recommended, even though you might need to tinker under the hood in true hot rod-like fashion to get the card running at peak potential. It’s slightly flawed but mighty fine."

Guru3D: I think that one quote may not have been updated in his article, he mentions several other places the noise be just ok or so-so. On his initial review the BIOS update didn't apply properly.

** This article has been updated on September 11th - as it seems the BIOS updates we received did not kick in properly. After multiple clean driver installations and power-downs the final fan ramp up values came alive, making this product perform a lot better on its acoustics front.

".cooling & noise levels
The THICC II Ultra is an impressive graphics card, however, as you have noticed, the acoustics are reasonable. you can opt a silent BIOS which you can download at XFX, bringing down the DBa value towards a good 39 DBa at the cost of maybe 2% performance. The performance BIOS is a tad louder but can be rated as a moderate to okay accoustic level."

"From a hardware point of view and aesthetics, the card ticks most if not all of the right boxes. Acoustics are a little so-so though. "

overclockersclub: They did Receive a Silver award. Listed both Great stock performance, and Quiet Fans under "Pros".

System Name future xeon II
Processor DUAL SOCKET xeon e5 2686 v3 , 36c/72t, hacked all cores @3.5ghz, TDP limit hacked
Motherboard asrock rack ep2c612 ws
Cooling case fans,liquid corsair h100iv2 x2
Memory 96 gb ddr4 2133mhz gskill+corsair
Video Card(s) 2x 1080 sc acx3 SLI, @STOCK
Storage Hp ex950 2tb nvme+ adata xpg sx8200 pro 1tb nvme+ sata ssd's+ spinners
Display(s) philips 40" bdm4065uc 4k @60
Case silverstone temjin tj07-b
Audio Device(s) sb Z
Power Supply corsair hx1200i
Mouse corsair m95 16 buttons
Keyboard microsoft internet keyboard pro
Software windows 10 x64 1903 ,enterprise
Benchmark Scores fire strike ultra- 10k time spy- 15k cpu z- 400/15000
Oh, so this could not have been fixed by a bios update, apparently, such as did evga with it's several SC cards and some vrm thermal issues. I dont know if this is good that they admit it, or bad due to the trouble they put users through and bad design.

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Oh, so this could not have been fixed by a bios update, apparently, such as did evga with it's several SC cards and some vrm thermal issues. I dont know if this is good that they admit it, or bad due to the trouble they put users through and bad design.

Those bios fixes usually involved gimping of clockspeeds. So you end up with a slower card than originally and possibly louder because of boosted fan speeds/lower thermal targets.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
From my review:
All our testing in this review was done after updating both BIOSes to a new version XFX provided to fix high fan noise. I uploaded them to our database (Performance, Quiet).

The original BIOS had too high fan speed set, and XFX was quick to fix it, maybe reviewers should check in with companies "is this right?", and not just push out reviews as quickly as they can, hoping for clicks. Performance numbers in my review are with that BIOS, not seeing anything that they dialed down the clocks

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

The fan curves can be fixed, if xfx removed all plastic and even the backplate, heck even made the backplate a spine/skeleton it would lower temps further like in GamersNexus video.

ir_cow

Staff member
Hey this is Isaiah here from OCC. I am the one who wrote the THIC II review. I left a long post on the article. But for those you didn't dig into the review. After the review went live, someone contacted me with the GN video. In short, I didn't have the same thermal problems as Steve, but I am glad that XFX is replacing the base plate for anyone who wants it. I initially gave it a GOLD award, but I reconsidered after seeing what GN got when buying a Retail card. Mine was a Review Sample. I cannot comment on why GN got such a bad egg, but I have no problems with the one I received.

Edit: Make sure to have the newest vBIOS, it was night and day for me (also noted in the comment section).

System Name Purple rain
Cooling Noctua D15S
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
whistleblowers create conspiracy theories about boxes in the background,meanwhile a card with absolutely PoS cooler gets recommendations from all major tech sites cause it's Navi.

IMO amd aib cards are a crapshoot,except for sapphire and powercolor.They do things for amd exclusively and they do not change what works well on previous gens.XFX seems to be chasing new designs and rad names instead of trusted solutions.MSI favors nvidia,clear as day,and it's a shame cause their trio cards have been the best for pascal and turing.Asus offers decent options for amd,but oveercharges like crazy.

This is mostly cause amd's reference design is absolutely useless.msrp buys you a card that has great perf/price but you gotta be crazy to buy it.that's why entry level aibs are pretty weak too and better ones cost a premium that puts them in the vicinity of 2070S FE.
Look at 2070FE,msrp buys you a pretty decent cooler on the FE card,better than most navi entry level aibs.the gaming trio only cost $15 over msrp.

Last edited:
System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
whistleblowers create conspiracy theories about boxes in the background,meanwhile a card with absolutely PoS cooler gets recommendations from all major tech sites cause it's Navi.

IMO amd aib cards are a crapshoot,except for sapphire and powercolor.They do things for amd exclusively and they do not change what works well on previous gens.XFX seems to be chasing new designs and rad names instead of trusted solutions.MSI favors nvidia,clear as day,and it's a shame cause their trio cards have been the best for pascal and turing.Asus offers decent options for amd,but oveercharges like crazy.

This is mostly cause amd's reference design is absolutely useless.msrp buys you a card that has great perf/price but you gotta be crazy to buy it.that's why entry level aibs are pretty weak too and better ones cost a premium that puts them in the vicinity of 2070S FE.
Look at 2070FE,msrp buys you a pretty decent cooler on the FE card,better than most navi entry level aibs.the gaming trio only cost $15 over msrp.

Huh?

The Built By AT.. AMD card has the best or equal to the best board for 5700XT cards. The PCBs are better than NV reference. The failing is the blower cooler that sucks.

Actually NV reference designs were pretty crappy until just recently. Now they are ok, but there's still better designs available at every point from the vendors.

Reference designs in summary...

AMD: great boards but often weak coolers
NV: usually good coolers but weak boards

Processor Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz@1.331V
Motherboard ASUS Strix B350-F
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 16G*2 3000MHz CL16 @1.35V
Video Card(s) Msi RTX 2070 Super Gaming Z Trio
Storage WD Blue 500G SSD*1 WD Black 2TB*1
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q
Case Lian Li O11D XL
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse logitech G102 with modded micro switchs
Benchmark Scores Time Spy 9943
NV reference cooler is loud and inefficient because fan blades on the cooler are backward swept.
backward swept fan blades lose a lot of static pressure, old EVGA GTX10xx series coolers also have this problem.
Nonetheless, it is still better than cheap and pathetic blower style cooler.