• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Scythe Rolls Out SCY-920S Entry-level Tower-type CPU Cooler

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Scythe unveiled the SCY-920S, an entry-level tower-type CPU cooler meant as a quieter substitute to your stock CPU cooler, with a thermal load capacity of 95 W. Its design involves an aluminium heatsink base through which two 6 mm thick copper heat pipes pass, making direct contact with the CPU, which then fan out through the fin-stack. A 92 mm fan ventilates the fin-stack. Spinning between 500 to 2,000 RPM, this fan pushes 7.1 to 48.2 CFM of air, with 8.3 to 28.3 dBA noise output. Measuring 87 mm x 62 mm x 127 mm (DxWxH), the SCY-920S weighs about 280 g. Among the CPU socket types supported are AM4 and LGA115x. The cooler goes on sale around mid-December.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Nothing about price?

ok genuine non meme opinion this time.

There's a good reason we see less and less of this type of coolers around in recent years, and Scythe's cognitive dissonance from what the market actually needs sometimes show it.
we're in an age where:

1 - if you go with AMD you either get a "good enough" box cooler, or a straight up equal to better than this type of entry level towers (Wraith Prism).
2 - if you go Intel you make sure to at least put the minimum amount required for Tri-heatpipe 92MM tower designs, such as the ever-infamous Hyper 212, and lately Arctic's Freezer 34 is making a nice comeback.

"But dj, what if i have this 3-5 year old Intel quad core that needs a basic cooler beyond the box cooler it came with?" well... How cheap is cheap enough to create a whole category underneath those 20-something dollar 3-4 heatpipe towers? Will this Scythe cooler cost 15$ or less? possibly not, and if it will, there might just be a chance to create any viable market for this type of product.

Scythe used to be huge in the air cooler market in many countries, and in recent years they really really seem to fade away. I just hope they can adapt to the new CPU market and create more good designs in fair prices.

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
ok genuine non meme opinion this time.

There's a good reason we see less and less of this type of coolers around in recent years, and Scythe's cognitive dissonance from what the market actually needs sometimes show it.
we're in an age where:

1 - if you go with AMD you either get a "good enough" box cooler, or a straight up equal to better than this type of entry level towers (Wraith Prism).
2 - if you go Intel you make sure to at least put the minimum amount required for Tri-heatpipe 92MM tower designs, such as the ever-infamous Hyper 212, and lately Arctic's Freezer 34 is making a nice comeback.

"But dj, what if i have this 3-5 year old Intel quad core that needs a basic cooler beyond the box cooler it came with?" well... How cheap is cheap enough to create a whole category underneath those 20-something dollar 3-4 heatpipe towers? Will this Scythe cooler cost 15$ or less? possibly not, and if it will, there might just be a chance to create any viable market for this type of product.

Scythe used to be huge in the air cooler market in many countries, and in recent years they really really seem to fade away. I just hope they can adapt to the new CPU market and create more good designs in fair prices.
I loved their Ninja and Mugen series. Personally I would get tower coolers with 12cm+fans or just something cheap to replace Intel's stock POS cooler. Basically what you said I guess.

I used to have a 92mm when I tried to cheap out but it felt so half-assed...

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Chipset cooler imo.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Hello Scythe, this is 2008 calling, and we want all our pathetic, el-cheapo-cloned 4 piper coolers back, cause they all are belong to us anyways ...:laugh:...:twitch:...:D

System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi / X570S Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S x 2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666-C16 / 32GB 3200-C16
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX3070 Ti / Asus TUF RX 6800XT OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, 860 EVO 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 970 EVO+ 1TB
Display(s) Dell AW2521HFA / U2715H
Case Fractal Design Focus G / Pop Air RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX 650W / PX 750W
Mouse Logitech MX310 / G1
Keyboard Logitech G413 / G513
Software Win 11 Ent
Surprised there is still a market for 92mm 2-pipe tower coolers.

AMD stock coolers have surpassed this level of performance I believe. And for Intel you really need a 120mm+ 3-pipe cooler if you want reliable turbo boost.

The only 92mm cooler I've used was the Thermalright Ultima 90. Now that was a true performer.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
These things need to be top flow by default, a tower at this size makes zero sense

There's a good reason we see less and less of this type of coolers around in recent years
Which only makes new launches more eagerly awaited.
There's a significant demand for low tower coolers because of SFF popularity.
Noctua D9L and U9S are among their best selling models (for $50-60). This Scythe would be a budget alternative.
But the fan in "good enough" box cooler will die eventually and it'll be hard to replace it with a 3rd party one. So most likely you're going to replace the whole cooler anyway.
And even if you get a stock cooler and you're fine with it's performance, you may simply want to replace it with a tower setup, since it's much more efficient in some cases.
This part is quite funny actually. With Intel you're getting a good enough cooler with most CPUs and it's been like that for years.
And this small Scythe tower will be a perfectly fine replacement for everything but 8-core and -K models.
Actually coolers in this segment are fairly expensive.
Cryorig M9, which would be a direct competitor, costs $30.

System Name Nilin
Processor Ryzen 9 5800x
Motherboard Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li Galahad AIO 360
Memory G. Skill TridentZ Neo 32gb 3600Mhz CL16-16-16-36
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3080
Storage Samsung Evo 960 250gb (System), Samsung Evo 860 500gb (Misc), Samsung 990 Pro 1Tb (Games)
Display(s) LG 27" UHD IPS, LG Ultragear 27" WQHD Nano IPS
Case InWin 303 (7x Fractal Prisma 120mm)
Power Supply Tt Toughpower Grand RGB 850W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 3
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/fs/21022952 (old system)
omigosh who needs this

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I'm with Vayra.

These things need to be top flow by default, a tower at this size makes zero sense

If people are cost-cutting on the CPU cooler, they're almost certainly cost-cutting on the case airflow. There's a non-zero chance that the default one or maybe two case fans is all there is, so cooling VRMs and RAM with down-blowing coolers makes a whole lot more sense than a tower, and would actually increase the compatibility (larger market for more sales) by lowering the total height of the cooler.

If people spent an extra $25 filling out the empty fan bays in their case, then they can also afford to spend another $10 on a better cooler than this underwhelming budget offering.

SSF cases mostly enjoy C type and top-flow coolers, and less of the tower kind anyway. Absolutely no sizable market "eagerly awaits" for coolers like the one in the PR above.

But the fan in "good enough" box cooler will die eventually and it'll be hard to replace it with a 3rd party one. So most likely you're going to replace the whole cooler anyway.
Who said so? The fan on AMD's cooler is very easily replace-able (4 screws) with just about any desired fan of the same size.

With Intel you're getting a good enough cooler with most CPUs and it's been like that for years.
Intel's stock, old-fashioned cooler is in fact so bad with current CPUs, they decided with each generation to include less and less of them in the CPU line up. Its absolutely terrible in doing its job with just about any mid-range and upwards model of desktop CPU. The small metal heatsink needs to the fan to work extra.

What segment, the 3-4 pipe tower segment? The market is absolutely bloated with great options under 30$, both in western, and asian markets of choice. Hell, some 17$ "Snowman" tower cooler is making a name for itself on the east for delivering close to 212 EVO performance.

ppn

I think it can cool 135 watt cpu just fine under 1000 rpm. but expensive, only if size is the key.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Noctua D9L and U9S are among their best selling models (for $50-60). This Scythe would be a budget alternative.

And even if you get a stock cooler and you're fine with it's performance, you may simply want to replace it with a tower setup, since it's much more efficient in some cases.

This part is quite funny actually. With Intel you're getting a good enough cooler with most CPUs and it's been like that for years.
And this small Scythe tower will be a perfectly fine replacement for everything but 8-core and -K models.

Cryorig M9, which would be a direct competitor, costs $30.

Its quite amazing how you seem to find non-arguments to counter every statement that the rest of the world simply feels is undoubtedly true.

Such wisdom! Did you order by the pallet? I mean, these are supposed to be expensive and the demand will skyrocket because of all those SFF cases that really love towers.

Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 6700 10GB SWFT 309
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703 (TTC Gold 60M)
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (Gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Intel's stock, old-fashioned cooler is in fact so bad with current CPUs, they decided with each generation to include less and less of them in the CPU line up. Its absolutely terrible in doing its job with just about any mid-range and upwards model of desktop CPU. The small metal heatsink needs to the fan to work extra.
They also get very loud if you load the CPU with any meaningful work

SSF cases mostly enjoy C type and top-flow coolers, and less of the tower kind anyway. Absolutely no sizable market "eagerly awaits" for coolers like the one in the PR above.
There exist SFF cases that do (front-to-rear directed cooling).
No offense, but you're extremely confident in your ideas. You think you know the global cooler market better than Scythe's analysts? :)
Who said so? The fan on AMD's cooler is very easily replace-able (4 screws) with just about any desired fan of the same size.
All 4 of them?
Anyway, e.g. Wraith Spire has 80mm screw spacing, so you'll end up with a smaller fan or having to shoose from a very limited choice of fitting models.
Intel's stock, old-fashioned cooler is in fact so bad with current CPUs, they decided with each generation to include less and less of them in the CPU line up.
Can you explain that part? AFAIK nothing has changed and all box non-K CPUs are bundled with a cooler.
Its absolutely terrible in doing its job with just about any mid-range and upwards model of desktop CPU. The small metal heatsink needs to the fan to work extra.
Yes, it's very cheap and loud. But it works. And it's super cheap.
What segment, the 3-4 pipe tower segment? The market is absolutely bloated with great options under 30$, both in western, and asian markets of choice. Hell, some 17$ "Snowman" tower cooler is making a name for itself on the east for delivering close to 212 EVO performance.
Segment of low tower coolers.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
remember when cooler master launched the 212 evo and stated the direct touch heat pipes were there for better performance and lots of people bought that marketing talk...then Cooler Master had to admit it was just a cost cutting measure...that's what I think of every time I see direct touch heat pipes...

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
There exist SFF cases that do (front-to-rear directed cooling).
No offense, but you're extremely confident in your ideas. You think you know the global cooler market better than Scythe's analysts? :)

All 4 of them?
Anyway, e.g. Wraith Spire has 80mm screw spacing, so you'll end up with a smaller fan or having to shoose from a very limited choice of fitting models.

Can you explain that part? AFAIK nothing has changed and all box non-K CPUs are bundled with a cooler.

Yes, it's very cheap and loud. But it works. And it's super cheap.

Segment of low tower coolers.

K CPUs used to come with coolers too. Its only until Intel decided to redefine what's possible within stated TDPs that we've seen those vanish. And with that, the demand for small towers vanished in a similar way.

And about global cooler market... there are tons of examples of companies that have stuck to old ways and are now history, or nearly history. So yes, we dó think we know better, and yes, there are many companies that are managed in a way these kinds of failures make shelves and keep doing so until money runs out.

Also look at the trend with Scythe. I have never EVER seen them make anything noteworthy other than heatsink+same ol' black fan.

So Freezer 12 and Hyper T2 market?
Unless its really cheap i fail to see why buy it against other cheap heatsinks.
Freezer 12 already has 3 heatipies.

K CPUs used to come with coolers too. Its only until Intel decided to redefine what's possible within stated TDPs that we've seen those vanish. And with that, the demand for small towers vanished in a similar way.
That ended with Haswell Refresh in 2014. And it's been very coherent since then.
So I'm still waiting for the "they decided with each generation to include less and less of them in the CPU line up" explanation. ;-)
And about global cooler market... there are tons of examples of companies that have stuck to old ways and are now history, or nearly history.
There are also many examples of companies that stuck to old ways and survived. And there are countless examples of "innovative startups" that vanish every year. And it proves absolutely nothing.
So yes, we dó think we know better, and yes, there are many companies that are managed in a way these kinds of failures make shelves and keep doing so until money runs out.
Yeah... if you think you know this business better than the companies that make a living there... I don't really see any way to comment on that.
:)
Also look at the trend with Scythe. I have never EVER seen them make anything noteworthy other than heatsink+same ol' black fan.
Scythe has been making high-quality products for a very long time.
It's really down to how you define noteworthy. :)

Their products don't have a "mass-market" feeling. They're hardly a global brand. They have a poor distribution network.
Their boxes look like if they contained an anime action figure.

Honestly, I don't think they're focusing on the mainstream coolers. That's why their 160mm towers aren't standing out. And no RGB!
But they have very interesting products for specific scenarios - often with no serious competition. Coolers like Big Shuriken or Kozuti have been ruling their niches for a very long time. :)

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
That ended with Haswell Refresh in 2014. And it's been very coherent since then.
So I'm still waiting for the "they decided with each generation to include less and less of them in the CPU line up" explanation. ;-)

There are also many examples of companies that stuck to old ways and survived. And there are countless examples of "innovative startups" that vanish every year. And it proves absolutely nothing.

Yeah... if you think you know this business better than the companies that make a living there... I don't really see any way to comment on that.
:)

Scythe has been making high-quality products for a very long time.
It's really down to how you define noteworthy. :)

Their products don't have a "mass-market" feeling. They're hardly a global brand. They have a poor distribution network.
Their boxes look like if they contained an anime action figure.

Honestly, I don't think they're focusing on the mainstream coolers. That's why their 160mm towers aren't standing out. And no RGB!
But they have very interesting products for specific scenarios - often with no serious competition. Coolers like Big Shuriken or Kozuti have been ruling their niches for a very long time. :)

Fair points, but none of them explain where the market really is for this one. I really struggle to see it here. Even that niche these are supposed to cater to - its just not there if you know the least about cooling and cases nowadays. There is always something that will perform equal or better at equal or lower price no matter how it is twisted here.

So Freezer 12 and Hyper T2 market?
Unless its really cheap i fail to see why buy it against other cheap heatsinks.
Freezer 12 already has 3 heatipies.
The important question is: why not buy it?

It's a new niche for Scythe, so they have nothing to lose. They had the fan, they made an extremely simple heatsink design.
Whatever market share they'll take from other companies will turn into almost sure profit.

Moreover, it's easy to say that "but Freezer 12 has 3 heatpipes" when you're writing a post on an internet forum. :p
But can you buy a Freezer 12 in every country? And for how much?

Scythe's home market is Japan.
Arctic doesn't even have an official distributor there: https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/where-to-buy/
A single dealer mentioned is Amazon:
$63

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
If it's like 20 eur/usd, then why not. Still better than the stock coolers what are bundled with those lower-TDP CPUs.

Hell, some 17$ "Snowman" tower cooler is making a name for itself on the east for delivering close to 212 EVO performance.
I had to look that up, and yea... the "SNOWMAN" looks pretty damn competent actually:

It's like... you pretty much have to assume that the included fan might not be the longest lived, but for $19 shipped I'd run that ;p